AK refused entry for teen dressed as Tink, yet Hollywood Studios allowed it, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you meant well and I agree it is not about her but about how messed situation was.
One thing for sure, they are not Disers. Otherwise they would just ask for emails to complain. ;)

:thumbsup2 beside the fact, if they were.. they obviously would have not to allow their 15 year old to go dressed as Tink as they would have known it wasn't allowed.. :lmao:

I don't think anyone is saying she didn't have the right to be upset, or that she knowingly broke the rules. We're saying that going to the news (whether the parent called or she called, it was still her words) and crying that her dreams were crushed and she just wanted to be Tinkerbell. Had she gone on straightfaced and said "I wish they would make that rule more public and I was disappointed" or "I was allowed in at one park but not another" it would be a whole nother story and darn near guarenteed not made the news. It's simply the fact that she's being a crybaby with a crappy argument.

Yes, I raised children. Yes, they were all teens at one point.

No, they didn't sob like babies on television when they we're disappointed.

And NONE of them whined about not being able to play dress-up in the Disney parks...though one did buy a stupid hat and wear it around. We teased him about it. He looked ridiculous.

My kids were done with temper tantrums by the time they were three and a half, unless they were very tired. By age five, they were totally done.

If I'd had a teen who whined and blubbered because she couldn't wear her costume, I'd have realized that she was far too spoiled and would quickly have set about the business of correcting that.

I'd NEVER have called the TV news, lol. The mother must be as ridiculous as her daughter...which explains why we have a teen crying on tv, "...but they ruined my dream because i just wanted to be Tinkerbell...I just Didn't want to take off the costume."

Perhaps the people you encounter all felt sorry for her, but if you check out the comments on the various sites that picked this up, you'll see plenty of people saying much worse things than were said here.
I don't think the mom called for the fact her DD couldn't wear the outfit, I think she called more because she was allowed in one park and not the other.. and you admit.. teens do strange things at times... ;) She wasn't blubbering, she sobbed.. she wasn't outright bawling.. there were tears and sobs in between her words because she was clearly hurt. Teens are emotional, very emotional at times. I work with 6th-12th graders and I see first hand how some cry over silly things.. like their best friend (all of 3 weeks) is no longer their best friend or their boyfriend broke up with them.. and they were only dating 2 weeks :upsidedow yep, I have seen many a crying... even seen some crying because they did not want to get into an argument with another for a fear of being written up and suspended.. emotions are a powerful thing that sometimes one cannot control. Not everyone is in 100% control of their emotions.. just because there is a sob, doesn't mean they are spoiled, they are a brat or that they are blubbering.. If you do any research on emotions and kids, telling a child to stop crying when over something they feel has hurt them is damaging...It is saying big kids don't cry.. and that is the furthest from the truth.. they do! I have heard people say not to cry over the death of a pet...they will get over it.. no, you just don't do that... She was clearly upset.. and there is nothing wrong with it.. 15 is still the brain of a child.. not an adult.
Personally as her mother, I would not have ran to the media, but I would have been upset that she was allowed in one park and not the other. I would have written to Guest Services asking why there is not consistency in their policy and this situation would have been avoided had there been.. I also would have told them had they made their policy more clear on the tickets, it would also help to avoid a situation such as this.. but I don't think I would really have gone to the media.. Maybe by her going to the media, it will help get the word out about their policy. Not all know about it. We here do because we talk on these boards.. those that don't come on here probably don't. Think about how many people come on here and are amazed at the people who do not even know about FP.. and that is all over the park.. We are discussing a policy that isn't advertised, isn't well spelled out.. except at Halloween time... :confused3 A little bit of prevention could have warded all of this off.. just clearly state the policy.. and be consistent... As a mom, that is what she may have been shooting for. Wouldn't you if something devastated your child? Regardless how you you feel about the situation, this mom felt it hurt her child.. and as a mom, she is reaching out to help her.. as any mom would...:upsidedow

I don't think anyone is saying she didn't have the right to be upset, or that she knowingly broke the rules. We're saying that going to the news (whether the parent called or she called, it was still her words) and crying that her dreams were crushed and she just wanted to be Tinkerbell. Had she gone on straightfaced and said "I wish they would make that rule more public and I was disappointed" or "I was allowed in at one park but not another" it would be a whole nother story and darn near guarenteed not made the news. It's simply the fact that she's being a crybaby with a crappy argument.

:confused: you don't think anyone on here is really saying she didn't have a right to be upset.. calling her names, spoiled, brat crybaby.. that right there shows people are saying that she didn't have a right...

I highly doubt that she went to the media, the media would never take a story from a child of the age of 15... she is still a child regardless of the body she has in that Tink outfit.....It had to be her mom, so you cannot fault her for that at all. Her mom went on her behalf. Maybe to spread the word about the policy who knows... maybe to get answers as to why no consistency.. again, who knows...

You are correct, had she gone straight faced and stated that maybe they make the rules more public and she would not have been so upset, her message may have come across better.. but that is where the fact that she is only 15 comes in. She may look older, but she is really just a 15 year old teenager.. :confused3 ..and one who was upset. I wonder if she didn't have the body she has, would some here look at her differently crying... I think her body plays into the fact that many are calling her names.. :sad2: If she was a smaller framed, thin child.. she would be allowed to cry since she would look like a "kid" but since her body appears to look like a young woman's, she has to act like a young woman... amazing what the psyche does to one....

I don't think the mom called for the fact her DD couldn't wear the outfit, I think she called more because she was allowed in one park and not the other.. and you admit.. teens do strange things at times... ;) She wasn't blubbering, she sobbed.. she wasn't outright bawling.. there were tears and sobs in between her words because she was clearly hurt. Teens are emotional, very emotional at times. I work with 6th-12th graders and I see first hand how some cry over silly things.. like their best friend (all of 3 weeks) is no longer their best friend or their boyfriend broke up with them.. and they were only dating 2 weeks :upsidedow yep, I have seen many a crying... even seen some crying because they did not want to get into an argument with another for a fear of being written up and suspended.. emotions are a powerful thing that sometimes one cannot control. Not everyone is in 100% control of their emotions.. just because there is a sob, doesn't mean they are spoiled, they are a brat or that they are blubbering.. If you do any research on emotions and kids, telling a child to stop crying when over something they feel has hurt them is damaging...It is saying big kids don't cry.. and that is the furthest from the truth.. they do! I have heard people say not to cry over the death of a pet...they will get over it.. no, you just don't do that... She was clearly upset.. and there is nothing wrong with it.. 15 is still the brain of a child.. not an adult.
Personally as her mother, I would not have ran to the media, but I would have been upset that she was allowed in one park and not the other. I would have written to Guest Services asking why there is not consistency in their policy and this situation would have been avoided had there been.. I also would have told them had they made their policy more clear on the tickets, it would also help to avoid a situation such as this.. but I don't think I would really have gone to the media.. Maybe by her going to the media, it will help get the word out about their policy. Not all know about it. We here do because we talk on these boards.. those that don't come on here probably don't. Think about how many people come on here and are amazed at the people who do not even know about FP.. and that is all over the park.. We are discussing a policy that isn't advertised, isn't well spelled out.. except at Halloween time... :confused3 A little bit of prevention could have warded all of this off.. just clearly state the policy.. and be consistent... As a mom, that is what she may have been shooting for. Wouldn't you if something devastated your child? Regardless how you you feel about the situation, this mom felt it hurt her child.. and as a mom, she is reaching out to help her.. as any mom would...:upsidedow
No, lol, as I already said, I wouldn't.

"Any mom" does not call the TV news because her fifteen year old cries when she can't, "be Tinkerbell.". That is not how rational people deal with that sort of thing. Even most irrational people wouldn't do that.

Nobody calls the media when their kids don't get to do what they want. Except this nutcase mom.

No, lol, as I already said, I wouldn't.

"Any mom" does not call the TV news because her fifteen year old cries when she can't, "be Tinkerbell.". That is not how rational people deal with that sort of thing. Even most irrational people wouldn't do that.

Nobody calls the media when their kids don't get to do what they want. Except this nutcase mom.

I am not saying her mom called because her DD could not be Tink per say..I think she called because her DD was hurt.. she was hurt because she didn't understand why she couldn't remain in her Tink costume.. she was allowed in one park and not the other.. there was no warning on the ticket, no stopping her at DHS.. not that she could not be Tink.. but that she was allowed prior and then told it in a different theme park....This is even stated that they were allowed in one and not the other.. and didn't understand why.... totally different reason for calling attention to what happened..not just because she couldn't wear her outfit.....I don't think you are getting what I am saying, or just choosing not to.. I can't figure out which it is....:confused3 Mom didn't call the media because her DD didn't get what she wanted.. she called because one park allowed it and the other didn't.. without warning.. Not a nutcase mom... :sad1:

If this were my child I would tell her suck it up Buttercup, if this is the worst thing that happens to you at 15 your doing pretty good. Wonder if she'll slit her wrists when her bf comes out. :confused3

I am not saying her mom called because her DD could not be Tink per say..I think she called because her DD was hurt.. she was hurt because she didn't understand why she couldn't remain in her Tink costume.. she was allowed in one park and not the other.. there was no warning on the ticket, no stopping her at DHS.. not that she could not be Tink.. but that she was allowed prior and then told it in a different theme park....This is even stated that they were allowed in one and not the other.. and didn't understand why.... totally different reason for calling attention to what happened..not just because she couldn't wear her outfit.....I don't think you are getting what I am saying, or just choosing not to.. I can't figure out which it is....:confused3 Mom didn't call the media because her DD didn't get what she wanted.. she called because one park allowed it and the other didn't.. without warning.. Not a nutcase mom... :sad1:
I think she's a nut. We will have to just disagree on that.

But she does her dd no favors in encouraging this behavior.

I think she's a nut. We will have to just disagree on that.

But she does her dd no favors in encouraging this behavior.

you're right, we are entitled to our own opinions...:flower3: like I said, I don't think I would have gone to the media, but I would have written to Guest Services asking them why their policy was not clearly stated for all to see prior to entering a park... not everyone gets their tickets online... :goodvibes

I'd NEVER have called the TV news, lol. The mother must be as ridiculous as her daughter...which explains why we have a teen crying on tv, "...but they ruined my dream because i just wanted to be Tinkerbell...I just Didn't want to take off the costume

This!

This girl at 15 may not be an adult but she is certainly not a child that is why there is a teen at the end of her age. If she was mature enough to take the time to make both her and her boyfriendes costumes, mature enough to take 2 hours to do her makeup and another hour on hair, then spray her body in glitter then she should be mature enough to handle the consequences. Like others have posted I get she was upset but at 15 to be saying I just wanted to be Tinkerbell and I didn't want to take of the costume is just silly.

I agree with Disney.

And to call the media over this :confused3. There's no way I'd let my 11 year old act like that - never mind a teenager. If the family was looking for sympathy by going to the media, I think it backfired.

I hope disney doesn't give into the sulking and drama queen tears and offer free passes or something like that.

For the posters that say that the no costumes policy should be printed on the ticket ... Disney has a lot of rules & policies pertaining to the parks. There is no way all of the rules could be printed on the tickets. Given that you rarely, if ever, see someone on the bus or show up at rope drop dressed in an "adult" costume(unless it's SWW or MNSSHP) it would seem that this is not a big problem and therefore not something that is urgently needed on the tickets.

I still don't think if you showed up at DHS on a normal day in full Tink regalia, or Snow White, or whomever, that you would likely be let in. The fact that this occurred during SWW probably played into things. Or as others have speculated, she managed to slip through during the crush at rope drop (maybe with something obscuring the costume, etc). This is the problem, not that she got away with it and then Disney enforced their policy when she was caught. People often get away with things for a while that are against the rules (anywhere) before someone catches on, or a staff member who can be bothered to have the confrontation discovers the problem. I still don't think that makes this story newsworthy or justifies this girl's/family's reaction. As I mentioned in a previous post, it was all about her ... she just couldn't understand why her dream to be Tinkerbelle wasn't more important than Disney maintaining the integrity and magic of their characters for their younger guests.

I don't think this was just a goofy kid putting on a Tink dress. She went to great lengths to make sure she was as "authentic" as possible. You don't get to just show up and assume the role of a character. She set herself up.

ETA (because I know someone will say it ...) I'm not implying that she went around pretending to other guests that she was *the* Tink, but based on her statement "I just wanted to be Tinkerbelle" ... and the extreme effort with the look of the hair, makeup & costume ...

I've already made my position clear (Disney was right), but I do remember reading (perhaps 10 years ago) a pamphlet with Timon and Pumba about rules in the parks and it did mention something about no adults in costume. Bet very few people actually read 'em.:confused3

I think her body plays into the fact that many are calling her names.. :sad2: If she was a smaller framed, thin child.. she would be allowed to cry since she would look like a "kid" but since her body appears to look like a young woman's, she has to act like a young woman... amazing what the psyche does to one....

Oh come on. Her body type has nothing to do with it. 15 is not a child. If you truly believe so, then I'm sorry, you're just adding to the problem. I don't want to upset the balance of your world by letting you know all the activities these 15 year-old "children" often engage in, but let me just assure you they're very "adult" behaviors.

And the issue with WHY she was let into DHS and not AK...mistakes happen. If she truly went to Animal Kingdom after DHS, it likely means she hit DHS first. Have YOU been to DHS at rope drop? It's absolute insanity. Their costumes might not have gotten noticed in the fray. It's also entirely likely that they didn't wear 100% of their costumes in the morning. If they rode RnR or ToT, for example, I don't think her bf would be able to keep his hat on, and she certainly wouldn't ride in those wings. Which means they would have blended in even better to the morning running of the bulls.

There's no huge conspiracy here as to why she slipped through one park and not another. The mother isn't owed some sort of grand investigation into why this happened; it happened, but it wasn't supposed to, and Disney apologized to this girl for her violation of their rules, and compensated her. The issue should have died right then and there at the park gates. Instead she chose to present her minor issue as a news-worthy calamity, and the problem when you seek attention like that is that when you get it, it's usually not what you wanted.

Oh come on. Her body type has nothing to do with it. 15 is not a child. If you truly believe so, then I'm sorry, you're just adding to the problem. I don't want to upset the balance of your world by letting you know all the activities these 15 year-old "children" often engage in, but let me just assure you they're very "adult" behaviors.

And the issue with WHY she was let into DHS and not AK...mistakes happen. If she truly went to Animal Kingdom after DHS, it likely means she hit DHS first. Have YOU been to DHS at rope drop? It's absolute insanity. Their costumes might not have gotten noticed in the fray. It's also entirely likely that they didn't wear 100% of their costumes in the morning. If they rode RnR or ToT, for example, I don't think her bf would be able to keep his hat on, and she certainly wouldn't ride in those wings. Which means they would have blended in even better to the morning running of the bulls.

There's no huge conspiracy here as to why she slipped through one park and not another. The mother isn't owed some sort of grand investigation into why this happened; it happened, but it wasn't supposed to, and Disney apologized to this girl for her violation of their rules, and compensated her. The issue should have died right then and there at the park gates. Instead she chose to present her minor issue as a news-worthy calamity, and the problem when you seek attention like that is that when you get it, it's usually not what you wanted.

Even younger kids sometimes engage into adult activities, you know, hormones, but it does not mean their brains are mature, only bodies.
As for having incomplete costume or being covered to get to DHS, possible but not intentional if this was a case. Otherwise why not to do the same thing at AK.
However, I heard about cases when people were denied entry and when people were stopped in a park and asked to cover or chnge, she was not.

It's hilarious to me that the teen is making a case out of this and going to news outlets. Does she not understand that Tinker Bell and Peter Pan are people's work uniforms? I think I'll make my own Hooters outfit and show up there and just walk around the floor. They'll tell me I'm ruining guests' dreams but they're ruining my dream cause I just want to be a Hooters girl!

I'm a bit confused what people are arguing about....

Her and her family were in the wrong....Disney was kind enough to comp her some cloths and they decide to make a big deal about (even saw the story on my evening local news). The body type and skimpiness of the outfit do not matter....she is of "adult size" and should not be wearing a costume to the park. Her reaction or overreaction would not have mattered if the family did not contact the media...in the end I'm sure a lot of people have had their dreams ruined by pesky rules "what do you mean I need a medical degree to become a doctor"...."so you're saying that I need to be signed or try out to play QB this Sunday?"

Do we know for certain that this girl and/or her family went to the local TV station with the story? I've yet to read/hear/watch anything confirming that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter