• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AK refused entry for teen dressed as Tink, yet Hollywood Studios allowed it, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not understand why so many people feels she might have some special needs just because she was upset and cried. There is absolutely nothing wrong with crying at 5 and at 50 if you hurt and she is.
She is a romantic girl who wanted to do smething special for her BF and it was ruined. She did not know rule, it is not obvious rule. She was confused why she was allowed to one park and not the other. What you expect her to do, of course she got upset.
Please remember she is 15, lots of hormones. Romeo nd Juliet killed themselves at this age because of stupid hormones.

I do not understand why so many people feels she might have some special needs just because she was upset and cried. There is absolutely nothing wrong with crying at 5 and at 50 if you hurt and she is.
She is a romantic girl who wanted to do smething special for her BF and it was ruined. She did not know rule, it is not obvious rule. She was confused why she was allowed to one park and not the other. What you expect her to do, of course she got upset.
Please remember she is 15, lots of hormones. Romeo nd Juliet killed themselves at this age because of stupid hormones.

um, Romeo & Juliett are fictional characters from a play written in the late 1500's ...

Sure she's young and got upset after being told she couldn't wear her outfit, especially after getting away with it in one park. I don't think people have an issue with her getting upset. What most posters seem to have in issue with is the fact that she apparently cried about if for the rest of the day, felt compelled to call the media and then cried to the cameras that WDW crushed her dream of "wanting to be Tinkerbelle." Makes you wonder if this whole thing really was about doing something special for her boyfriend in the first place or if it was more about her - because really, I can't see how you would think getting your 15 yo boyfriend to dress as Peter Pan would make his first trip to Disney special, unless you thought the whole costume thing would garner you lots of attention and maybe some extra pixie dust ... which apparently they ended up with anyways.

At fifteen years of age, you shouldnt be crying because you have to take off your Tinkerbell costume.

Furthermore, this isn't just a case of crying because you had to take off your costume.

They also called news people. The free shirt and FPs weren't good enough. More foot stomping was necessary.

This is possibly the biggest, most ridiculous temper tantrum I've ever encountered.

That girl and her mother ought to be hanging their heads in shame.

This girl is in for a very rude awakening when she has to live in the real world. Shell have to follow rules she doesn't like. Nobody will care if she cries, except those who make fun of her. And nobody will give her free stuff because she cried. Nobody will call up the newspaper because Precious was sad. And nobody will care if they do.

The behavior she is now exhibiting will work against her in a big way.

I think the person who said she has Special Snowflake Syndrome is correct.

Hormones weren't part of the Romeo and Juliet story. They didn't know hormones existed back then. And they weren't real people.

I am sorry but that is just weird to dress up fully when it isn't Halloween, even if you are in high school. I don't understand the need to dress up any old day of the year unless you are in grade school. She deserved to take that off.

At fifteen years of age, you shouldnt be crying because you have to take off your Tinkerbell costume.

Furthermore, this isn't just a case of crying because you had to take off your costume.

They also called news people. The free shirt and FPs weren't good enough. More foot stomping was necessary.

This is possibly the biggest, most ridiculous temper tantrum I've ever encountered.

This girl is in for a very rude awakening when she has to live in the real world. Shell have to follow rules she doesn't like. Nobody will care if she cries, except those who make fun of her. And nobody will give her free stuff because she cried. Nobody will call up the newspaper because Precious was sad. And nobody will care if they do.

Hormones weren't part of the Romeo and Juliet story. They didn't know hormones existed back then. And they weren't real people.

Lol hilarious. I felt so bad laughing when I watched that video. Does that make me a bad person?

What most posters seem to have in issue with is the fact that she apparently cried about if for the rest of the day, felt compelled to call the media and then cried to the cameras that WDW crushed her dream of "wanting to be Tinkerbelle."

This. It just reeks of the "it's all about ME!" attitude that afflicts too many teenagers today. Drawing that much attention to yourself doesn't seem like the best way to make your park visit "special", it just seems like an attempt to make yourself feel special. She's probably never had anyone tell her she can't do something, so she was unprepared to deal with the rejection and thus she overreacted by 1000%, and I don't mean by crying, I mean by crying to the media as if her life has been ruined.

I feel bad that the girl was sad, but it is one thing to tell your mom the story and cry about it. It is ENTIRELY different and RIDICULOUS to go to the media about it. If this is the worst thing she ever experiences in life then she will be a very lucky person. The Romeo and Juliet thing was pretty funny. No offense to the poster, but comparing real life people to completely made up people is a stretch to say the least. Hopefully these two teens can come back for a MNSSHP sometime and live out their dreams without issue.

I :lmao: when you said precious was sad. I do think that going to the media is not going to get her the attention she wanted. I read some of the comments people made on other pages where the video was posted and the majority of comments were very negative towards her behaviour.

To the poster that was dressed at Belle. You didn't have to "be on" all night. If you were that well dressed, Disney could have denied you entry, even if it was MNSSHP. They tend to be very lax on adults looking like characters on that night. There's no rule that says you can't dress up as them, but they still can enforce you looking "too real" and certainly have told people they are not allowed to act like said character.

OK, I mentioned Romeo and Juliet as example of what hormonal teens can do, I do know they are fictional but every good writer does research on character. I do not think anyone will question that teens are affected by hormones, which is what my point was about. That is all.
Yes she has boyfriend, she looks like 18 at least, she wears tons of make up, yet she is 15 yo girl, hormonal like any other teen and what happened seemed to her like end of the world. Yes, calling media was too much, do not forget however that it was up to a media to air this nonsense, guess someone needed 5 min of fame there as well.
One more thing, people keep saying how inappropriet her costume is, well I wonder if people saw Tink, she is pretty, let say not exactly modest, so...

One more thing, people keep saying how inappropriet her costume is, well I wonder if people saw Tink, she is pretty, let say not exactly modest, so...

Uhh....I've never seen Disney's Tink show five inches of cleavage. The outfit is skimpy, yes, but it covers everything that should be covered. I don't think there's any comparison. Not that that is even the issue, I think most people were only bringing up the slightly risque nature of the girl's costume because it was an ironic counterpoint to the "but she's still a child!" defense. :laughing:

Well, many online groups have picked this story up.

The girl is certainly getting attention. It isn't of the, "Oh, poor baby" sort of attention, though. It's of the, "Grow up, you big baby" variety.

I'd feel badly for her if she and her mother hadn't brought this all on themselves.

Now she will have to face classmates.

I have the feeling she may very well begin to realize how inappropriate her behavior is.

It is unfortunate that she had to hit this point, though. Someone should have snapped her out of these tantrums before she was five years old.

OK, I mentioned Romeo and Juliet as example of what hormonal teens can do, I do know they are fictional but every good writer does research on character. I do not think anyone will question that teens are affected by hormones, which is what my point was about. That is all.
Yes she has boyfriend, she looks like 18 at least, she wears tons of make up, yet she is 15 yo girl, hormonal like any other teen and what happened seemed to her like end of the world. Yes, calling media was too much, do not forget however that it was up to a media to air this nonsense, guess someone needed 5 min of fame there as well.

Again, Shakespeare did not research hormones and their effects. They didn't know anything about hormones back then. They still thought meat eventually turned into flies. That was their Science.

Tinkerbelle may have a skimpy outfit, but she doesn't have a lot of cleavage.

She was not acting like any teen girl. She was acting like the Poster Child for spoiled children.

This could actually be used in parenting classes as a "Don't Let This Happen To You" example of extremely poor parenting.

Again, Shakespeare did not research hormones and their effects. They didn't know anything about hormones back then. They still thought meat eventually turned into flies. That was their Science.

Tinkerbelle may have a skimpy outfit, but she doesn't have a lot of cleavage.

She was not acting like any teen girl. She was acting like the Poster Child for spoiled children.

This could actually be used in parenting classes as a "Don't Let This Happen To You" example of extremely poor parenting.

He did not need to know about hormones but he knew how teens act, just like they act today, crazy and it passes with age.

BTW, all princesses got what to show, and do show. And during MNSSHP women of all sizes wear costumes, so what, not like anyone nor this girl are naked. It was just a dress up in Disney, big deal!

When I worked turnstyles at MK the rule was no realistic costumes for anyone with an adult ticket (10+). They find very young looking 18-20 year old CMs to play childlike characters such as Tinker Bell and Wendy...a mature looking 10 year old could easily pass for the real character. The exception was MNSSHP, when anyone could dress up however they wanted.

That said, I'm not surprised that the CMs at DHS either overlooked her or didn't make it an issue. There are lots of part time and CP CMs who really don't care. Also, I learned pretty quickly that you could enforce the rules in regard to many things, and quickly be overruled by a manager who just wants to make his day easier. That can drain your motivation to follow the rules pretty quickly.

thank you for your explanation.. so any one officially with an adult ticket can be turned away.. just as another poster mentioned when they said the 10 yr old in their party was nearly turned away on their last day. This should be stated on the tickets and it is not. If they really want guests to be aware of this information, it should be more accessible for them to read. :goodvibes

Well, many online groups have picked this story up.

The girl is certainly getting attention. It isn't of the, "Oh, poor baby" sort of attention, though. It's of the, "Grow up, you big baby" variety.

I'd feel badly for her if she and her mother hadn't brought this all on themselves.

Now she will have to face classmates.

I have the feeling she may very well begin to realize how inappropriate her behavior is.

It is unfortunate that she had to hit this point, though. Someone should have snapped her out of these tantrums before she was five years old.
wow .. not sure about where you are seeing those stories at .. but my news outlets all felt sorry for her.. :confused3 and I state again, do you have a child who has reached the teen years yet? they are hormonal, they cry... I do not think this girl realized she was doing anything wrong. I don't think her parents did either. There was a mixed message sent to her by allowing her in one park and not the other. Sending mixed messages to ANY child of ANY age is not good.. it can be confusing to them. We don't know this teen, we cannot state what is major to her and what isn't. She reacted by sobbing. She didn't lash out and become violent, or curse anyone out. She sobbed.. she wanted to be Tink for a day... and there is nothing spoiled about that. She is only 15 or have you and everyone else here forgotten what a 15 year old's mind is really like. :confused3 They are not adults, her body may look as if she is, but her brain doesn't function as an adult.. :sad2: and legally she is not an adult... her brain is still "growing" and maturing. :flower3:

I threw in the fact that we didn't know if she did or didn't have them, we didn't know.. I did it because there are those here who would jump on anyone who dare lash out on a child of any age who "cried" with special needs..but without special needs it is ok to bash them... :confused3.... that was why I added it. We don't know if this girl did or didn't, we don't know her.. :confused3 No one should be stating she is spoiled, she is a brat, she is a baby.. .. 15 year old girls cry.. point blank, just as you said.. they are hormonal regardless if they are special needs or not.. they are hormonal ........ I really didn't want this to turn into a discussion on her.. but the reason why she was allowed in one park and not the other, but I see it didn't go that road....:coffee:
If the policy is that she wasn't allowed to enter, then they should not have allowed her to enter DHS. The mixed message is what screwed up her head.. and her family. I really don't think her or her family were out to break rules on purpose.. :goodvibes Like I stated before.. Disney should really put that rule on their pass if they want to enforce it.. I don't remember seeing it on mine. How can they expect guests to adhere to something they aren't aware of. How can they expect them to adhere to something that isn't enforced consistently too... :confused3 Oh, you can here but not there.. duhhh doesn't work that way... it is either a yes or a no.. not a gray area... her mother went to the media I think because of the way she was allowed in one park and then not the other..

As far as cleavage.. there are woman who are gross looking wearing spandex showing every inch of their body and cleeavage as well, who are never stopped from wearing what looks like sports bra tank tops into the park. Saturday when I was at DHS there was one woman who must have been in her late 40's early 50's wearing all white spandex with a white shawl.. nothing else.. you were able to see her nipples!!! I was sick looking at her.. she was not stopped. she was with another woman maybe in her late 30's who was in a blue outfit (they were dressed as Star Wars Characters) that was so tight it was literally ripping on the sides and her rolls were coming out.... they pranced around..... not being stopped....:eek: Now I am sorry, but that was a bit obscene.. your nipples showing.. YUK! white outfit.. no bra.. yuk yuk.... and she thought nothing of it.. Tink at least looked cute.. and while there was skin and cleavage.. it did leave some things to the imagination.. these women didn't....:rolleyes:

I threw in the fact that we didn't know if she did or didn't have them, we didn't know.. I did it because there are those here who would jump on anyone who dare lash out on a child of any age who "cried" with special needs..but without special needs it is ok to bash them... :confused3.... that was why I added it. We don't know if this girl did or didn't, we don't know her.. :confused3 No one should be stating she is spoiled, she is a brat, she is a baby.. .. 15 year old girls cry.. point blank, just as you said.. they are hormonal regardless if they are special needs or not.. they are hormonal ........ I really didn't want this to turn into a discussion on her.. but the reason why she was allowed in one park and not the other, but I see it didn't go that road....:coffee:
If the policy is that she wasn't allowed to enter, then they should not have allowed her to enter DHS. The mixed message is what screwed up her head.. and her family. I really don't think her or her family were out to break rules on purpose.. :goodvibes Like I stated before.. Disney should really put that rule on their pass if they want to enforce it.. I don't remember seeing it on mine. How can they expect guests to adhere to something they aren't aware of. How can they expect them to adhere to something that isn't enforced consistently too... :confused3 Oh, you can here but not there.. duhhh doesn't work that way... it is either a yes or a no.. not a gray area... her mother went to the media I think because of the way she was allowed in one park and then not the other..

As far as cleavage.. there are woman who are gross looking wearing spandex showing every inch of their body and cleeavage as well, who are never stopped from wearing what looks like sports bra tank tops into the park. Saturday when I was at DHS there was one woman who must have been in her late 40's early 50's wearing all white spandex with a white shawl.. nothing else.. you were able to see her nipples!!! I was sick looking at her.. she was not stopped. she was with another woman maybe in her late 30's who was in a blue outfit (they were dressed as Star Wars Characters) that was so tight it was literally ripping on the sides and her rolls were coming out.... they pranced around..... not being stopped....:eek: Now I am sorry, but that was a bit obscene.. your nipples showing.. YUK! white outfit.. no bra.. yuk yuk.... and she thought nothing of it.. Tink at least looked cute.. and while there was skin and cleavage.. it did leave some things to the imagination.. these women didn't....:rolleyes:

I know you meant well and I agree it is not about her but about how messed situation was.
One thing for sure, they are not Disers. Otherwise they would just ask for emails to complain. ;)

wow .. not sure about where you are seeing those stories at .. but my news outlets all felt sorry for her.. :confused3 and I state again, do you have a child who has reached the teen years yet? they are hormonal, they cry... I do not think this girl realized she was doing anything wrong. I don't think her parents did either. There was a mixed message sent to her by allowing her in one park and not the other. Sending mixed messages to ANY child of ANY age is not good.. it can be confusing to them. We don't know this teen, we cannot state what is major to her and what isn't. She reacted by sobbing. She didn't lash out and become violent, or curse anyone out. She sobbed.. she wanted to be Tink for a day... and there is nothing spoiled about that. She is only 15 or have you and everyone else here forgotten what a 15 year old's mind is really like. :confused3 They are not adults, her body may look as if she is, but her brain doesn't function as an adult.. :sad2: and legally she is not an adult... her brain is still "growing" and maturing. :flower3:

Of course she cried because she was disappointed. People get that. What doesn't sit well with most (including the comments following the news stories, not necessarily the stories themselves) is the family feeling the need to call in the media in an attempt to villify Disney for enforcing their dress code policies (which they apparently did in a very thoughtful manner). The comments about being spoiled I think come from the fact that this girl seemed to feel that her desire "to be Tinkerbelle" was more important than Disney's desire to maintain the integrity and magic of their characters for the enjoyment of their younger guests.

Yes, I raised children. Yes, they were all teens at one point.

No, they didn't sob like babies on television when they we're disappointed.

And NONE of them whined about not being able to play dress-up in the Disney parks...though one did buy a stupid hat and wear it around. We teased him about it. He looked ridiculous.

My kids were done with temper tantrums by the time they were three and a half, unless they were very tired. By age five, they were totally done.

If I'd had a teen who whined and blubbered because she couldn't wear her costume, I'd have realized that she was far too spoiled and would quickly have set about the business of correcting that.

I'd NEVER have called the TV news, lol. The mother must be as ridiculous as her daughter...which explains why we have a teen crying on tv, "...but they ruined my dream because i just wanted to be Tinkerbell...I just Didn't want to take off the costume."

Perhaps the people you encounter all felt sorry for her, but if you check out the comments on the various sites that picked this up, you'll see plenty of people saying much worse things than were said here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter