AK refused entry for teen dressed as Tink, yet Hollywood Studios allowed it, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really would like to know Disney's rational for allowing her in the Studios but not AK... maybe because it was SWW..and they figured there were adults dressed in costume anyway.... :confused3 It just bothers me that there was inconsistency there... I don't think the girl meant to be disrespectful and not follow rules. I don't even think she knew she was breaking any.. especially going into the Studios, being allowed in there and seeing adults dressed in costume there...

For all we know, she may have gone over MNSSHP and dressed up and thought she can dress up any day... I see people there with clothing that is sort of like a character, they wear the make up... etc.... She may have figured she would go all out and make it a memorable special day for her and her BF since this was his first visit there... She did state she worked months on the costumes...

We don't know all the surrounding issues here.. we can't speak for her or her family.. so we should not be putting her down... I know for sure if she was any of your DD's and she was Autistic/Bipolar.. and someone commented that she was too big to cry, you all would be jumping on that person... so just stop and think for one tiny minute.. we do not know her and everything that went on here other than Disney allowed her in one park and not another... and that was what my thread was supposed to be about... :goodvibes:hippie::thumbsup2

agree to disagree.. and my 23 year old fits in the child's largest Belle dress... just for the sake of settling sizes. My 19 year old is even skinnier than my 23 year old...:eek: think she may fit in the second to largest size..
On my DD's 22nd birthday, she actually tried the Belle Dress on... over her clothing.. and got it on.....:thumbsup2 ...but to be fair.. she has a smaller build than what this 15 year old looks as if she has.....:flower3:

035.jpg
032.jpg
I do get that the girl was only 15 but I think maybe the problem was that she did not look 15. If you compare the Tinkerbell costume that Disney sells compared to the costume this girl was wearing her dress is showing much more cleavage. Not that we don't see this all the time in everday life but maybe Disney didn't want Tinkerbell displayed that way in their parks.

Since the rule is worded "adult costumes" and not "adults in costume," she definitely should have been denied access to all parks. Her costume was quite adult and she looked like an adult in it. The inappropriate attire page also includes:

- Clothing which, by nature, exposes excessive portions of the skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment

wow.. just reading this post.. you may have hit it on the head as to why Disney doesn't allow "some" and yet allows other costumes.. but I guess some CM's at DHS just goofed...

I do get that the girl was only 15 but I think maybe the problem was that she did not look 15. If you compare the Tinkerbell costume that Disney sells compared to the costume this girl was wearing her dress is showing much more cleavage. Not that we don't see this all the time in everday life but maybe Disney didn't want Tinkerbell displayed that way in their parks.

agreed.. her costume did show more skin and was not like Tinks at the park...she should have been stopped at DHS as well.. she never should have gotten in there to be denied entry to AK.. that was the main problem I think for the family... DHS goofed.. they allowed her in.. AK doesn't then here she is hurt.. and I can see why. Had they never allowed her in the first place, explained their policy, I do think things would have ended differently for this family.. but what happened was mixed messages and children of any age do not do well with mixed messages...

Just remembered this photo of my DD with Tink.. and Tink is showing some skin here.. not as much as the young girl, but her outfit is not a straight across outfit.. it does dip down.... lol

059.jpg

no, you didn't say they don't cry, but stating over the top implies that. While you don't classify being told to change your clothing as a major thing, she may. We don't know her.. do we? Do we know if she was Autisic? Do we know if she was Bipolar? Do we know anything about her other than she was a 15 year old female who cried because she was told to change her clothing? No, we don't.. I am not going to condem a 15 year old for crying over that, nor will I say that is "over the top". It sure would not be if she had some medical issues that were weren't aware of... and I am not about to go down that road.. kids at 15 are still kids and some still cry period... and for her, that was a major issue.. she was let down. For you it isn't, for me it isn't.. but we cannot say it isn't for her, now can we? I cannot state something about you when I don't know you..can I? :confused3 That is the reason I didn't want this to turn into a debate about the girl.. I was merely trying to bring up the fact Disney was not consistent in their policy..and why? Adult is legally 18 and up, not 15 anyway... ;)

Being Autistic or Bipolar is not a ticket to not follow the rules and that is the point here. Her reaction my or may not be over the top, don't know based on her personality, but I do know that deciding that it is alright to not do what is expected because of those conditions is not acceptable.

At one point in my life I owned a care home that took care of folks with issues stemming from things similar or exactly like that. We used to say that it was the REASON for behavior but not an EXCUSE for it. If one is going to be allowed in public situations then they have to know the rules and not try to pass over them. If they do...then they must be corrected, not allowed to just do whatever.

It may just be me, but does that "outfit" look a bit "seductive" (don't know if that's the word) or, at least, inappropriate to wear in a park where there are little ones. Regardless, she should have been denied admission at all park, but there are flukes in the system. I don't believe she should have been compensated for it, either.

By the way, I wouldn't call her a brat or something, for we don't know her, but I really don't think this was an issue that warranted any crying or compensation. The CMs at DAK handled this pretty good, though.

Being Autistic or Bipolar is not a ticket to not follow the rules and that is the point here. Her reaction my or may not be over the top, don't know based on her personality, but I do know that deciding that it is alright to not do what is expected because of those conditions is not acceptable.

At one point in my life I owned a care home that took care of folks with issues stemming from things similar or exactly like that. We used to say that it was the REASON for behavior but not an EXCUSE for it. If one is going to be allowed in public situations then they have to know the rules and not try to pass over them. If they do...then they must be corrected, not allowed to just do whatever.

before you go all bananas on following rules and the Autistic and Bipolar.. I stated that due to her crying.... not about following rules.. read my post for what it was meant to be :rolleyes: She was hurt by them not allowing her to go into AK, confused on why she was allowed in DHS.... she cried because she was hurt, to her it was something major. I made my statement in regards to this behavior...if you really read it, you would have picked up on that since the entire post you cited was based on crying... It was about her reaction.. not about what she did to get that reaction. Two different animals there.... so take a deep breath and relax... :confused3

No one is making excuses about rules, but if you were not on this board to know that Disney didn't allow it, would you honestly know they didn't allow adults in costume? I know I would not. It is not stated on any ticket they produce. It is not on any printed material they hand out.. it is on their website.. I don't think this child or the family for that matter knew they broke any rules.. and if you really read my entire post.. I didn't want this to be about her period.. due to posts like this! It was to be about the reasoning why she was allowed in one park and not the other... so go back and read the title of my thread and my original post... then follow all that was said, don't just pick and choose certain words you want to respond to... thank you...:flower3:

Since when does someone crying because they have to follow the rules equal autism or bipolar disorder? Why do people always jump to that conclusion? When I see a person or child misbehaving I don't jump to "Oh they must be autistic" no I think "Wow that kid is really misbehaving."

Where I work, there is a rule against taking pictures in the store. You would only know it if someone told you it exists, or if you read our privacy policy.

Employees sometimes make exceptions, but in general, the rule is enforced.

I've told plenty of people about the rule, some react well and some don't. If a 15 year old spent time putting on makeup and a costume and wanted to take a picture in my store, I would say no. Someone else might say "Ok just this one time..."

Being ignorant of a rule does not exempt you from following it. Disney being Disney...I'm surprised she got in in the first place.

If it would have been me working at the gates, I would have said "hell no". It's blatently a costume (costume isn't just clothes, it's styling) and there is no way she passes as a "child". I don't know what they are trying to accomplish going to the media. It's totally within Disney's right to refuse a guest entry based on their dress code, they were compensated for their "troubles" and they didn't need to be. I get that Disney comps stuff on a fairly regular basis but to me, they've basically rewarded this kid for breaking a rule.

Yeah I'd have to agree hearing it in her tone and own words. Brat. She's 15, time to learn you don't always get what you want. "I just wanted to be Tinkerbell" isn't a valid argument.

I can see her arguing more that she was allowed in one park but not another, that's a valid argument.

When my neice was 10 she was told she couldn't wear a costume. We didn't know about that rule until the last day of our trip. We had bought the costume in the park and she wore it every day we were there and on the last day we were asked at the entrance how old she was and we told them she was 10 (she had turned 10 during our trip) and we were told she had to remove the costume. She did not look like an adult but that was the rule. They did end up asking their supervisor who said it would be ok since it was very obvious she wasn't an adult and the rule is to prevent confusion for little kids seeing adults dressed up like characters that aren't part of the Disney cast.

Now that we know that rule we wouldn't allow any of the kids we take that are over 10 get a costume to wear at the park.

No 15 yr old should be dressing up and then getting upset when they are told they can not go into the park in the costume. Unless it's a Disney halloween party.

Why not read this if you want to know why she wasn't allowed to enter. Just like MNSSHP they allow guests to enter DHS with costumes during Star Wars weekends with the stipulation they will be removed if they are in anyway caught trying to portray themselves as Disney employees. I'll have to look for the brochure I was handed when I entered last weekend since it was actually detailed on that. If I find it I'll try to get a picture on here. This is a non story.. if anything I think it goes to how how good Disney behaved. They had no obligation to give her clothing to mask what they have posted publicly as inappropriate attire.

~B

Why exactly is this a story covered by any newspaper, TV station, even a school newsapaper?? Just asking.....

The reaction is over the top. I was 15 not so long ago, and I would not have behaved like that had I been told to change. Also, even if she was special needs...that still wouldn't excuse it. I have family member who are special needs and reactions like that are frowned upon. Whether you know if her personality is high strung, or she's special needs doesn't matter...that still isn't the way to react to someone telling you you can't wear a costume into Disney....at least not in my opinion....

When I worked turnstyles at MK the rule was no realistic costumes for anyone with an adult ticket (10+). They find very young looking 18-20 year old CMs to play childlike characters such as Tinker Bell and Wendy...a mature looking 10 year old could easily pass for the real character. The exception was MNSSHP, when anyone could dress up however they wanted.

That said, I'm not surprised that the CMs at DHS either overlooked her or didn't make it an issue. There are lots of part time and CP CMs who really don't care. Also, I learned pretty quickly that you could enforce the rules in regard to many things, and quickly be overruled by a manager who just wants to make his day easier. That can drain your motivation to follow the rules pretty quickly.

The other option at DHS is she just may have been missed at the turnstiles. During rope drop espeically when the park would be swamped like at SWW its often the case that someone needs help with their ticket at turnstile A and thus no one is even watching B for a good 2-3 min... long enough for 10 or more people to get through.

The other option at DHS is she just may have been missed at the turnstiles. During rope drop espeically when the park would be swamped like at SWW its often the case that someone needs help with their ticket at turnstile A and thus no one is even watching B for a good 2-3 min... long enough for 10 or more people to get through.

I agree. I have often seen CM's become distracted during entrance, especially at rope drop.

I think that Disney's rule is clear and that it is a great rule. I am a teacher. I don't have my own children... yet... crushing a child's dream is horrible.

There are days that I may have loved to dress up and become a Disney character. (Maybe that's why I had to be married at WDW! So I could be a princess!) But I would (even at 15) not have not followed rules because I wanted to. I do understand there may be special needs, but that is up to the parents to how they handle those situations.

I don't think the media should have covered it the way they have. They should not have covered it at all, even if the parents contacted them. I know there are many other things out there that would be much more news worthy!! Just because someone is upset because they were asked to follow rules should not be media worthy.

I do agree that there should have been consistency, but who knows why, the point is someone caught it and asked her to change and gave her a type of compensation for changing. That was above and beyond. In school if one of my students does not follow the rules they do not receive any "compensation" they have consequences instead.

This is one of those strange Disney rules that can be easy to miss. And it's a fine line on what constitutes a costume anyway. Remember the elderly gentleman in the red shirt who was asked to change because he looked too much like Santa Claus!?

In this case the costume was clearly over that line. But I can see why a 15-year-old might think it was okay-- many kids from little to big go to the parks clothed as princesses, Tinkerbell, Jack Sparrow, etc. And when I was fifteen you better believe I would have cried-- I was a sensitive girl and I still had dolls and things (and a boyfriend too) and the whole authority coming down on me for the way I looked and the dashed hopes would definitely be too overwhelming for me. I would have FOR SURE cried. I would probably STILL cry.

I don't think the rule has to do with children's safety-- after all, no child has ever been abducted in WDW and I actually think someone dressed so conspicuously would have LESS of a chance of doing something. It's not like Tinkerbell can just blend in. Rather I think it's Disney protecting their brand in their parks, and rightly so. I dressed as Belle one MNSSHP and it was certainly a rush having the children think I was the REAL Belle, but I quickly became aware that I was representing that princess in their eyes. Not that I would say or do anything inappropriate anyway, but we were on an "adults" only trip (I was 22 at the time) and I was VERY careful about what I talked about in lines, or how I behaved when a child approached me anywhere on property, from the bathroom to sitting next to me on a ride! I had to be "on" all night. Super fun, would do it again, but a big responsibility representing my favorite princess for the night!

And the Disney staff that has worked so carefully and diligently to train their official princesses had no control how I acted. I could have sworn a blue streak down Main Street and ended up a vilified entity in a thread here. Of course I wouldn't do that, but the point is they had no control over anything I did while dressed up in their parks as one of their intellectual properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!