AK refused entry for teen dressed as Tink, yet Hollywood Studios allowed it, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know for certain that this girl and/or her family went to the local TV station with the story? I've yet to read/hear/watch anything confirming that.

I have yet to read that either, but as a 15 year old, she would need to have consent to be interviewed, so the parents and teen are responsible for giving the story to the media even if it was not them who made first contact.

I have yet to read that either, but as a 15 year old, she would need to have consent to be interviewed, so the parents and teen are responsible for giving the story to the media even if it was not them who made first contact.

This is true.

But running to the media and allowing the media to cover it aren't the same thing. Running to the media implies attention whoring. The media coming to the family implies ratings grabbing. The local TV station who covered it first could've heard about it through other avenues, like social media. And on a slow news day with a gossipy story at their fingertips, many stations would pounce on such a story.

Some might even consider it a predatory move. Might.

Obviously the girl has the emotional range of a child, hence the crying and being so upset over this all. But it makes for great television and forum fodder!

All I know is I've been a journalist for nearly a decade, and I've seen this too many times over. Some do it more than others, some news outlets don't do it at all. But everyone has a bottom line to consider.

This is true.

But running to the media and allowing the media to cover it aren't the same thing. Running to the media implies attention whoring. The media coming to the family implies ratings grabbing. The local TV station who covered it first could've heard about it through other avenues, like social media. And on a slow news day with a gossipy story at their fingertips, many stations would pounce on such a story.

Obviously the girl has the emotional range of a child, hence the crying and being so upset over this all. But it makes for great television and forum fodder!

All I know is I've been a journalist for nearly a decade, and I've seen this too many times over. Some do it more than others, some news outlets don't do it at all. But everyone has a bottom line to consider.

Well Disney wouldn't have contacted them, probably not too many others would have witnessed the incident and those who did likely wouldn't call the media. Social media is a possibility, but she was obviously still very upset, like it had recently happened, not like several days had passed & the media just managed to track her down after catching wind of the story. And if they had, I'm not sure they would have considered it much of a story (and bothered to track her down ... I'm a freelance journalist myself, no story here IMHO)

Well Disney wouldn't have contacted them, probably not too many others would have witnessed the incident and those who did likely wouldn't call the media. Social media is a possibility, but she was obviously still very upset, like it had recently happened, not like several days had passed & the media just managed to track her down after catching wind of the story. And if they had, I'm not sure they would have considered it much of a story (and bothered to track her down ... I'm a freelance journalist myself, no story here IMHO)

It's a non-story to me, too, but not everyone thinks as clearly as us :thumbsup2

It's a non-story to me, too, but not everyone thinks as clearly as us :thumbsup2

My guess is the family, or the boyfriend or someone who knows her and was ticked at what Disney did contacted the media. The producer thought "hmmm, let's see what Disney did to this kid ..." Once they had the interview they decided to keep it for the "entertainment" value, as terrible as it sounds (and which I'm not condoning!), but the site I watched it on played it under their "odd news" feature.

you're right, we are entitled to our own opinions...:flower3: like I said, I don't think I would have gone to the media, but I would have written to Guest Services asking them why their policy was not clearly stated for all to see prior to entering a park... not everyone gets their tickets online... :goodvibes

You say that everyone is entitled to an opinion but you feel the need to reply to nearly everyone and tell us the problem with our argument. I still say spoiled brat.

you're right, we are entitled to our own opinions...:flower3: like I said, I don't think I would have gone to the media, but I would have written to Guest Services asking them why their policy was not clearly stated for all to see prior to entering a park... not everyone gets their tickets online... :goodvibes

So just how many things does Disney need to list that are not allowed? I can only imagine how long that list would be! Common sense would seem to state that as people are being payed to be the characters in the parks that you would not be allowed to go in dressed as a Disney character! Or do we need to start listing everything that is not allowed, hand that book to people before they enter the parks, and make them sign that they have read it!

Let's see, you are not allowed to skateboard in the parks, or set off fireworks, or throw water balloons at fellow guests, or dress as a Disney character, or ride your bike in the parks, or bring chalk in and play hopscotch in the parks........

I'm sorry, but people need to use their brains every so often.

When my neice was 10 she was told she couldn't wear a costume. We didn't know about that rule until the last day of our trip. We had bought the costume in the park and she wore it every day we were there and on the last day we were asked at the entrance how old she was and we told them she was 10 (she had turned 10 during our trip) and we were told she had to remove the costume. She did not look like an adult but that was the rule. They did end up asking their supervisor who said it would be ok since it was very obvious she wasn't an adult and the rule is to prevent confusion for little kids seeing adults dressed up like characters that aren't part of the Disney cast.

Now that we know that rule we wouldn't allow any of the kids we take that are over 10 get a costume to wear at the park.

No 15 yr old should be dressing up and then getting upset when they are told they can not go into the park in the costume. Unless it's a Disney halloween party.
Wow, I can't believe that. I have 2 girls ages 11 and 12. The 12 yr old is tall for her age. We went last July and both of my girls got BBB's as a gift from my uncle. They wore there gowns for 2 days. no one said anything to either of them. We were planning on letting them do it again next year when we go, now I am wondering if I should?

Wow, I can't believe that. I have 2 girls ages 11 and 12. The 12 yr old is tall for her age. We went last July and both of my girls got BBB's as a gift from my uncle. They wore there gowns for 2 days. no one said anything to either of them. We were planning on letting them do it again next year when we go, now I am wondering if I should?

They have made the age limit for BBB 12 and under, so if you are going when your oldest is 13 she will not be allowed to do BBB. Out of curiosity, were your DDs still sporting their BBB hairdo on that 2nd day? If so, then perhaps the CMs assumed they had gone to DtD's BBB that day and allowed them to stay in costume.

This is true.

Ah, a journalist appears on cue to answer my question :).....can minors be interviewed, and that can that interview be broadcast, without the consent of the parents?

Ah, a journalist appears on cue to answer my question :).....can minors be interviewed, and that can that interview be broadcast, without the consent of the parents?

It actually depends on the state and the custody of the minor (emancipated, underage but married), but 99 percent of the time minors can only be interviewed with guardian permission. This also goes for photographing/videotaping.

Airing/printing an interview without guardian permission opens up avenues for lawsuits.

BBB is for children. Twelve and under.

I'm baffled as to why the OPis so worked up over this. You told a previous poster to "take a deep breath and relax" because you didn't like his post. I think you might want to take your own advice. You keep mentioning over and over that she's "just a child".

She's a spoiled, whiny 15 year old getting as much attention as she can get. No one spends hours putting that much makeup and body glitter on unless their ultimate goal is "look at me!, look at me! Hey, LOOK AT ME!"

It's mind boggling that this is even considered newsworthy.

You say that everyone is entitled to an opinion but you feel the need to reply to nearly everyone and tell us the problem with our argument. I still say spoiled brat.

yep I sure do because everyone is off topic here :lmao: My post wasn't about the girl, but about why Disney allowed in one park and not the other.... read my original post.. that is why I keep responding.. and if you notice, in each of my responses.. I put in.. why did they allow one park and not the other.. or at least I believe I am placing it in there....:thumbsup2 as that is the topic this thread is supposed to be about.. read my post and my title...:flower3: want to debate if she is brat.. start another thread...:upsidedow

Well to take a page out of your book, I just don't understand why you, as a frequent enough poster, would think that starting a thread on this would stay "on topic"? :confused3 Discussions evolve, this whole forum wouldn't exist if someone asked a question and one person gave one answer :wizard: I've noticed you feel the need to respond to posters who don't agree with your arguments on other boards too :rolleyes1 which is where my need to reply directly back to you came from ;)

You put this out on a public forum, it's not up to you to lord over it and tell us how wrong we all are.

I am OP.. my post was not meant to debate whether the girl was a spoiled brat or disrespected any rules.. my post was asking why she was allowed in one park and not the other..
Sure I keep going back to she is a child.. she is legally a child and as far as Disney standards anyone over the age of 10-17 is a child with an adult ticket price.. all of this was stated in my original post..... I will repost the original to remind all what my post was about.... if you want to debate about her.. start another thread...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry if this has been posted before, I did a fast look (even searched) and didn't see it... Seems this 15 year old girl dressed up as Tink & her BF as Peter Pan. She was allowed in to DHS but then denied admission to AK. They told her she looked too much like Tink and it would not be good for little girls to see her that way. Their website does state that "adults" cannot wear costumes that are too close to those who are characters while in the theme parks.. At 15, she is not a true adult. If they are going by her ticket price, then does that mean a 10 year old girl cannot wear a Princess dress anymore either? I have some mixed feelings on this, I really do. She is only 15, not 19. There is a difference in their mindset and maturity at that age. She is still a kid in so many ways. Add that to the fact this past weekend was Star Tours Weekend and there were women in their 40's dressed as Princess Laya..some pretty gross looking I might add to that..... EEK... yet they weren't denied entry? There are some who wear spandex where you can see every thing left to the imagination, yet they aren't denied entry.. this older child (yes 15 is still a child by legal standards) looked cute... yet she was denied entry to AK????? I am not posting this to start a huge out right debate on who thinks what.. I am only stating I think Disney is wrong in considering this child an adult.. I know by terms of her pass, she is paying adult price and so is a 10 year old.. yet they aren't denied admission. By terms of the law, 18 is legal adulthood... at 15, she is a child...and everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and opinions........ My concern is ........and real question is....... why was she denied admission in one park, yet not another.. they are both Disney owned and operated?

so can we now move on to the topic of this post please.. and off of her as a person... I can see this thread is way off topic .....:mad:

Well to take a page out of your book, I just don't understand why you, as a frequent enough poster, would think that starting a thread on this would stay "on topic"? :confused3 Discussions evolve, this whole forum wouldn't exist if someone asked a question and one person gave one answer :wizard: I've noticed you feel the need to respond to posters who don't agree with your arguments on other boards too :rolleyes1 which is where my need to reply directly back to you came from ;)

You put this out on a public forum, it's not up to you to lord over it and tell us how wrong we all are.

don't know why you do either....:rolleyes1

OP I think your question was already answered about why she was let in DHS and not DAK. The day she went to DHS it was SWW. Teens and adults are allowed to dress up during SWW. She was not allowed into DHS because it is against Disney`s rules for adults to dress up like Disney character. Of course I don`t know much about this girls but I have the feeling that if she had been kept out of DHS too she still would have behaved like a 2 yr old having a temper tantrum. She is a attention seeker! Some people don`t care if it is negative or positive attention they are getting they just want attention.

My concern is ........and real question is....... why was she denied admission in one park, yet not another.. they are both Disney owned and operated?[/U][/B]

so can we now move on to the topic of this post please.. and off of her as a person... I can see this thread is way off topic .....:mad:

As PP said, SWW may have let her go unnoticed in the throngs of guests entering the park. SWW is crazy busy. We do not know if there was a CM keeping an eye on her at DHS. They DO watch people closely--even at MNSSHP-- to make sure they are not signing autographs and taking pictures with guests. It is also possible that when she got to AK, CMs heard kids talking about seeing "Tinkerbell" and they made the judgement call that DHS didn't. The actual rule states that it "may result in refusal of admittance." So by using the word "may" in the rules, this clearly shows that it is a judgement call. Had the rules stated that it "will" and DHS let her in, then there would be a problem, but due to the wording of the actual rule, Disney and their employees did absolutely nothing wrong.

This thread has become a bit too argumentative, so I'm closing it here. Bottom line: Disney publicly states its policies concerning wearing costumes in the parks, and all guests are expected to know and abide by those policies. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!