A Stringbean, a Wingnut, and a plan! (A January '12 PTR) TRIP REPORT STARTED!! 1/16!!

I guess you found your key lime juice?!

I did!!! I went to another store to find it, got it there, and then of course found it in my regular supermarket the second we walked in there the next time! :laughing:

That pie looks yummy! Love the Mickey towels, I might have to pick up a few of those on my trip! :cool1:

Thanks!!!

They are very cute, I love little Disney accessories around the kitchen! :goodvibes

Mmmm, black and white cookies. Our 'traditional' Valentine's Day treat are red velvet black and whites. Almost as much fun to make as they are to eat! I love baking but sans dishwasher in our apartment and dishwashing is my chore, so mysteriously, there aren't as many fresh baked goods in our house anymore! I'll wait until we visit my boyfriend's family and they give us tons and tons of special Southern food (his sister went to culinary school and is thus in charge of holiday meals. Hurrah for that, says I).

Williams-Sonoma is just too pretty. I haven't been there for a while because there isn't any in Colorado (I think). We're finally getting a Sur la Table that's pretty close though! Cars is pretty much my least favorite Pixar movie (even counting Bug's Life). Where's the Wall-E stuff?! I demand Mo-themed pancakes!

We have a similar (cheaper) store in our downtown and I just love to go and look at all the pretty cooking tools that I really have no use for. I am getting better at walking out empty-handed, though - I practice with Target trips. :rotfl:

Aw, a little table is so cute! I'd have to check for a spy hiding underneath though - I watch too many heist films to not check. :)

I saw the recipe for the red velvet black and whites online once - that was the closest incarnation to them that I ever came to making! (But alas...I chickened out again!)

I agree with you, Cars is I think my least favorite Pixar movie too. I just don't get the appeal at all.

Hahaha awww, Wall-E stuff at WS would be so cute!! I'd love to see some Finding Nemo things - that's one of my favorites!

I'm late to the party (and I'm NEVER late!)

Happy belated bday to Wingnut! I've had fun reading over your plans and changes, which are, to be honest...right up my alley. If you can't change your mind a million times on resorts and ADRs, then what can you do?!? ;) Can't wait to hear more! We're headed to WDW at the end of Jan with FD as well! :thumbsup2

So this past weekend, Wingnut and I kind of overhauled our ADR list. Well, most of the meals stayed the same, but some were dropped, some were added, and some just moved days. So to avoid confusion (mainly, my own), here is our plan, in total, with what changed.

Also, I hadn't talked about our day 7 ADR's yet. Those are listed, with my ramblings about the one I hadn't rambled about included.

(You lucky readers, you!) :laughing:

Day 1:

Lunch: Sci-Fi Dine-In MOVED.

Epcot counter service

Neither of us were entirely set on having a specific ADR time to make right after arriving. We prefer the unstructured environment of World Showcase counter service meandering. There are several CS places that are being pondered: I’m always a fan of Boulangerie Patisserie, Wingnut likes the Yorkshire Fish and Chips stand, or we both like La Cantina de San Angel. The best part about this kind of lunch: we don’t have to agree on one place! (Not that we have too much trouble agreeing on where to eat, but there is a certain sense of whimsy and freedom that comes with “I’m going to France, you go to England, we’ll meet somewhere between.”)

Dinner: La Hacienda de San Angel CANCELLED

Sanaa

My mom was the one who suggested we give Sanaa a try, and we’re both really excited to go here. I’ve seen some great reviews, and this continues our trend of trekking to AKL 3 times during a trip to eat.

Day 2:

Breakfast: Crystal Palace

Lunch: Liberty Tree Tavern

Dinner: Citricos

Day 3:

Breakfast: Kouzzina MOVED

Grand Floridan Café

You’ll see the reason for this switcharoo in a moment…

Dinner: Jiko

Day 4:

Breakfast: Grand Floridian Café MOVED

Akershus :eek:

I know, I couldn’t have seen this one coming either. But we’re actually pretty excited about this one. Here’s how it all went down:

SB: (While switching day 1’s ADR’s) Is there anywhere else we wanted to go for breakfast? We don’t really have much of a plan for one of the days.

W: Hmm. We could go to Kouzzina.

SB: We're already going to Kouzzina.

W: We could go to Kouzzina twice.

SB: (Jokingly) We could go to Akershus for the princess breakfast.

W: That's in Norway, right? What do they have there?

SB: (pulls up a menu and review).

W: Ooooh...lingonberry cream cheese! Let's go here.

SB: You know this is a PRINCESS breakfast, right?

W: I'll meet a princess. Hey, I want to try the herring!

:rotfl:

This kind of breakfast really is, food-wise, right up Wingnut's alley. He loves things like herring that I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot-pole, and I'm excited about the other non-fish goodies. And they have cheesy potatoes. I love a cheesy potato.

So yes, Stringbean and Wingnut will now be going to not one, but TWO character meals. This is so unprecedented, I'm pretty sure this is how space-time continuums are disrupted.

Sorry universe. Wingnut now has visions of lingonberries and cod dancing in his head, and is set on his Storybook Princess breakfast.

(A note about Akershus: When we were discussing going here, I was actually pretty positive that we would be unable to get an ADR, since it's one of the few princess meals. I was honestly shocked that there were ADR's available every day of our trip (not many time slots, but availability - yes.) for breakfast (I didn't try looking for lunch or dinner). So for anyone looking for a princess ADR not exactly 180 days out, Akershus may be a good bet.)

Dinner: California Grill

Day 5:

Breakfast: Kona Café

Dinner: Artist Point

Day 6:

Breakfast: Boma

Lunch: Sci-Fi Dine-In ADDED

Not wanting to entirely pass up Sci-Fi, we switched it to a day we didn't have a lunch planned.

Dinner: Via Napoli

Day 7:

Breakfast: Whispering Canyon Café CANCELLED

Kouzzina

This is where the Kouzzina ADR ended up. Which works out pretty conveniently, since we won't have to travel too far on our last day.

Lunch: Le Cellier

This was the first ADR I made, poised like a panther over my keyboard, waiting for 6 AM exactly to strike. And a victory fist pump ensued at around 6:01.

(That was my account of the morning. Wingnut's goes more like "I woke up and was on my way to take a shower to find Stringbean on the couch frantically typing and screaming "DO YOU CARE IF WE GO TO CALIFORNIA GRILL ON A DIFFERENT DAY? DO YOU? DO YOU??? TELL ME NOW, IT'S ALREADY 6:03!!!"

(No, none of that was exaggerated for comedic effect. Sorry neighbors. :rolleyes1)

So Le Cellier. Does anyone else remember when this place was a cafeteria-style setup, and not the 1-credit steak hotspot it is now? Well, I have many great memories of Le Cellier throughout the years. I actually haven't been since 2008 (around when it became too overhyped for its own good, in my opinion...).

I'm interested to go back. Wingnut hasn't been, and wants to give it a try. So we're going.

(Admittedly, the cheddar cheese soup also did factor in heavily in my decision...)

So this is our plan! (At the moment!)

No really. I don't foresee us changing this (for at LEAST a month).

Oh, I love all of your ADR changes because they are SO ME. That is what I do every trip and then to top it off I get down to Disney and change them up some more. :rotfl2:

I love your plans and I love even more that you are going to a Princess meal. You must promise to take lots of pictures. :lmao:

The Princesses are gonna love Wingnut--you'd better keep an eye on them;)!

I think your day one lunch plan sounds great. Freedom, and still knowing you will get good food. Perfect.

Two things I know about you guys for sure:
1. You love Epcot.
2. You will eat at AKL anytime you get a chance.

(I think those traits are admirable.)

I love finding CS places to eat in WS with my family because my sister especially is really picky. She started eating chicken again, but she won't touch it if it has the bone in. She won't touch red meat. Some fish is now okay (I nearly fainted when she ordered the fish and chips at Rose and Crown and LIKED it!), but she won't even think of trying other kinds of fish. So, she's gotten a lot better, but she's still kinda finicky over her food choices. It's great being in WS because we can all find something to our liking in different pavilions and just meet back up somewhere. I am dreaming of getting snacks at the caramel shop!

I was cracking up over Wingnut agreeing to a princess meal just because of the food! :rotfl: This is one that I CANNOT wait to hear about!

Sanaa

My mom was the one who suggested we give Sanaa a try, and we’re both really excited to go here. I’ve seen some great reviews, and this continues our trend of trekking to AKL 3 times during a trip to eat.

Before every trip I make a list of all the restaurants I want to go to, then narrow it down to however many TS credits we have for the trip... and Sanaa is on my original list every time, and every time it gets bumped! Hopefully one of these days we'll end up going here!

The ADR update sounds great and DELICIOUS (but of course)....I hope you all are bringing elatic pants w/ on this trip :rotfl: I forget do you have free dining too?

Princess Dining we did that back in '09 and same thing booked like 60 days out for a pre park B at that...the princesses are wonderful there...You usually see Belle in yellow first gretting you at the door and the PP pix they take is part of your paid meal SWEET! so ham it up I say...like have her kiss Wignut on the cheek and you scowl to the side :laughing: well just a thought....

You're right, didn't see Akershus coming at all! :eek: Sounds like you'll have fun, as long as the herring is still on the menu for Wingnut...ew. :rotfl:

Love the changes and thanks for making me hungry! :laughing:

Loved Sanaa! The food is fabulous. The decor is fabulous. The service is fabulous and they even offered us free coffee at the end of our meal. What a great touch. And I was so stuffed and tired that even the caffeine didn't keep me awake.

I really want to try Citricos but I am waiting for when I go again with just Denny.

Love all your choices.

Oh......and Wingnut - I am terribly sorry that I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday. I must have been boycotting social media that day.

Hope it was wonderful!!!!! :wizard:

"OH AND I DO NOT GET DUFFY AT ALL. Seriously. He's as appealing to me as going on Stitch's Great Escape" Stringbean on Lurkyloo TR

so I just read your comment on her TR and I seriously snort laughed...so thanks i needed that :goodvibes :lmao:

Your ADR changes sound great! I would love to try Akershus someday, but you know how I'm a little nervous with princesses...:rolleyes1

I've actually been thinking about doing a little ADR overhaul myself, it seems like there are so many places that we are eating that we've been to already, and I really want to try new places! And we have too many breakfast ADR's! I'm constantly messing with my ADR's! :laughing:

I saw the recipe for the red velvet black and whites online once - that was the closest incarnation to them that I ever came to making! (But alas...I chickened out again!)

I agree with you, Cars is I think my least favorite Pixar movie too. I just don't get the appeal at all.

Hahaha awww, Wall-E stuff at WS would be so cute!! I'd love to see some Finding Nemo things - that's one of my favorites!

Black and whites get easier to make once you have two people working (I found out the hard way). I do the white part and my boyfriend does the chocolate part, so we get to sneak tastes of our preferred icings.

I get the appeal of Cars - for John Lasseter and John Lasseter only. :rolleyes: I dislike cars in general though - boats and trains are way cooler!

I would feel kind of bad eating Finding Nemo food because, well, Nemo is a food. ;) Somehow he seems less edible in the movie. Cookie cutters would be cute, especially with fancy icing.

All I think about what I hear 'lingonberries' is Ikea. Do they have cinnamon rolls (the best part of any Ikea trip) at Akershus? Then I might be tempted to check it out! :rotfl: Breakfast ADRs are the most fun to plan!

The AKL restaurants sound so cool. I definitely want to spend some time there on a future trip!

Your ADRs sound yummy - although I am full just thinking of all of those meals! And I think your first day...wandering around Epcot for food sounds perfect. Then you don't have to be stressed about making it someone on time and you can just eat what you are craving. Also, Sunshine Seasons in Future World is always a :thumbsup2 too. But dessert in France....:cloud9: I think my DH got the Napolean there at least twice this past trip (and we only had 2 park days, so yes - he went both times).

I am waaaayyyy behind and reading furiously to catch up. Anyway, I just read your post about you calling your Dad at the U.K. phone booths and I think that is just awesome! I guess I didn't even realize they were useable phones! I am so writing down those numbers for future use! :cool1: Thanks for the info! Really enjoying your PTR!

I'm late to the party (and I'm NEVER late!)

Happy belated bday to Wingnut! I've had fun reading over your plans and changes, which are, to be honest...right up my alley. If you can't change your mind a million times on resorts and ADRs, then what can you do?!? ;) Can't wait to hear more! We're headed to WDW at the end of Jan with FD as well! :thumbsup2

Welcome!!! You're not late - we don't leave for over 3 months! :laughing:

He says thank you for the birthday wishes! :)

Hahaha I am such a changer of plans! It just seems boring to me to set it all up and then leave things alone! Yay for January/Free Dining!! :yay:

Oh, I love all of your ADR changes because they are SO ME. That is what I do every trip and then to top it off I get down to Disney and change them up some more. :rotfl2:

I love your plans and I love even more that you are going to a Princess meal. You must promise to take lots of pictures. :lmao:

:lmao: I'm so glad I'm not alone with this!! Oh, I've called Disney Dining while in the parks. What...is that excessive? :lmao:

Oh I promise I will! I'm actually pretty excited for this. It's SO not what we usually do! :laughing:

Augh! You have so many meals in the same places I'm going, but like the day before or after I go!

Ahhh boo!! :headache: Well, we obviously have great taste in restaurants! :thumbsup2

The Princesses are gonna love Wingnut--you'd better keep an eye on them;)!

I think your day one lunch plan sounds great. Freedom, and still knowing you will get good food. Perfect.

Two things I know about you guys for sure:
1. You love Epcot.
2. You will eat at AKL anytime you get a chance.

(I think those traits are admirable.)

Hahahahahahahaha :lmao: I told Wingnut that - I think he's more excited for this meal than he's letting on!

We usually do end up meandering sans plan on our first day. It works for us, and I don't have to be worrying about making an ADR time while getting to WDW!

:laughing: Those two things are absolutely true about us! I wonder if people trek to AKL as often as we do, with very little interest in actually staying there!

I love finding CS places to eat in WS with my family because my sister especially is really picky. She started eating chicken again, but she won't touch it if it has the bone in. She won't touch red meat. Some fish is now okay (I nearly fainted when she ordered the fish and chips at Rose and Crown and LIKED it!), but she won't even think of trying other kinds of fish. So, she's gotten a lot better, but she's still kinda finicky over her food choices. It's great being in WS because we can all find something to our liking in different pavilions and just meet back up somewhere. I am dreaming of getting snacks at the caramel shop!

I was cracking up over Wingnut agreeing to a princess meal just because of the food! :rotfl: This is one that I CANNOT wait to hear about!

WS really is a great place for a picky eater (or even groups where people just prefer different things!). It's funny, I'm not a big fan of fish, but I do love the fish and chips in Epcot!

Hahahaha I can't wait to experience this one, I'll be honest! I will do my best to report this one well! :laughing:

Before every trip I make a list of all the restaurants I want to go to, then narrow it down to however many TS credits we have for the trip... and Sanaa is on my original list every time, and every time it gets bumped! Hopefully one of these days we'll end up going here!

Sanaa was always on our list and bumped too! But I just kept hearing such great things, and my parents went there and LOVED it, so we decided to give it a try! And why not go to AKL ANOTHER time?? :laughing:

The ADR update sounds great and DELICIOUS (but of course)....I hope you all are bringing elatic pants w/ on this trip :rotfl: I forget do you have free dining too?

Princess Dining we did that back in '09 and same thing booked like 60 days out for a pre park B at that...the princesses are wonderful there...You usually see Belle in yellow first gretting you at the door and the PP pix they take is part of your paid meal SWEET! so ham it up I say...like have her kiss Wignut on the cheek and you scowl to the side :laughing: well just a thought....

Hahaha of course we have free dining too! We've done the DDxP with free dining before, so I think we'll be less overwhelmed than last time...maybe. :laughing:

Our ADR is a pre-park opening too! It's funny, I was SO surprised it was available!

:rotfl: That's actually the EXACT pose Wingnut suggested we do. We probably will do something along those lines - why not?? :laughing:

You're right, didn't see Akershus coming at all! :eek: Sounds like you'll have fun, as long as the herring is still on the menu for Wingnut...ew. :rotfl:

Love the changes and thanks for making me hungry! :laughing:

Hahaha I feel the same about the herring! I didn't really see it coming either, but I think it'll be fun for us to mix it up!

Loved Sanaa! The food is fabulous. The decor is fabulous. The service is fabulous and they even offered us free coffee at the end of our meal. What a great touch. And I was so stuffed and tired that even the caffeine didn't keep me awake.

I really want to try Citricos but I am waiting for when I go again with just Denny.

Love all your choices.

Oh......and Wingnut - I am terribly sorry that I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday. I must have been boycotting social media that day.

Hope it was wonderful!!!!! :wizard:

Wingnut says thank you for the birthday wishes!! :)

I thought of your experience at Sanaa when we were considering it!! I'm really excited to go there, I think it's going to be really fun!

I'm very excited for Citricos, that was one of the "just barely cut" off the list last time! Hopefully you'll go soon! :goodvibes

"OH AND I DO NOT GET DUFFY AT ALL. Seriously. He's as appealing to me as going on Stitch's Great Escape" Stringbean on Lurkyloo TR

so I just read your comment on her TR and I seriously snort laughed...so thanks i needed that :goodvibes :lmao:

I still stand by my comment! Hahaha I just do not understand him! :rotfl:

Your ADR changes sound great! I would love to try Akershus someday, but you know how I'm a little nervous with princesses...:rolleyes1

I've actually been thinking about doing a little ADR overhaul myself, it seems like there are so many places that we are eating that we've been to already, and I really want to try new places! And we have too many breakfast ADR's! I'm constantly messing with my ADR's! :laughing:

Hahaha this is going to be my first princess meal! I'm sure it'll be fun!

I love breakfast ADR's, breakfast is actually my favorite Disney meal! Does that sound silly? :laughing: We definitely had wanted to try a lot of new places - the only dinner place we're repeating is Jiko! It's fun to go back to places you enjoy, but I like trying new places too! A lot of our breakfasts are repeats, so it's a mix with our plan.

Black and whites get easier to make once you have two people working (I found out the hard way). I do the white part and my boyfriend does the chocolate part, so we get to sneak tastes of our preferred icings.

I get the appeal of Cars - for John Lasseter and John Lasseter only. :rolleyes: I dislike cars in general though - boats and trains are way cooler!

I would feel kind of bad eating Finding Nemo food because, well, Nemo is a food. ;) Somehow he seems less edible in the movie. Cookie cutters would be cute, especially with fancy icing.

All I think about what I hear 'lingonberries' is Ikea. Do they have cinnamon rolls (the best part of any Ikea trip) at Akershus? Then I might be tempted to check it out! :rotfl: Breakfast ADRs are the most fun to plan!

The AKL restaurants sound so cool. I definitely want to spend some time there on a future trip!

Haha that's a good system! I'll definitely give them a try sometime!

:laughing: Hey, you're allowed to have your reasons for enjoying Cars! That is true...Nemo is a food :( But I think he'd make a cute cookie!

I really really am 98.9% positive that they have cinnamon rolls at Akershus. I remember them from someone's review. The lingonberries do remind me of Ikea too! I think Wingnut's dad got lingonberry jam at Ikea, actually!

We love the restaurants at AKL! It really would be pretty convenient to stay there...but then we'd be too far from Epcot! :laughing:

Your ADRs sound yummy - although I am full just thinking of all of those meals! And I think your first day...wandering around Epcot for food sounds perfect. Then you don't have to be stressed about making it someone on time and you can just eat what you are craving. Also, Sunshine Seasons in Future World is always a :thumbsup2 too. But dessert in France....:cloud9: I think my DH got the Napolean there at least twice this past trip (and we only had 2 park days, so yes - he went both times).

Hahaha I know, it's SO much food...but I'm not going to pretend we won't but a good dent in it! :laughing:

Do you know I've NEVER been to Sunshine Seasons? I have seen that strawberry shortcake all over the Dis like 6,000 times, and have never ever tried it! That needs to be changed, right? I also saw they have something along the lines of croissant berry bread pudding that I want to try! Post-Soarin' snack, perhaps!

The Napoleon is literally my favorite treat in Disney. I adore that thing like no other. Hang on, I need to gaze at it longingly for a moment...

:cloud9::lovestruc:cloud9::lovestruc:cloud9:

:rotfl:

I am waaaayyyy behind and reading furiously to catch up. Anyway, I just read your post about you calling your Dad at the U.K. phone booths and I think that is just awesome! I guess I didn't even realize they were useable phones! I am so writing down those numbers for future use! :cool1: Thanks for the info! Really enjoying your PTR!

Thank you!!! :goodvibes Aww don't worry, we don't leave for what feels like forever!

It was so funny to call and surprise him, because he was literally shocked! They are usable phones, as is the one in Canada and the one in Morocco! I think the phone on the far right in the U.K. is not functioning though, since it's part of the Kim Possible game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter