• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Stringbean, a Wingnut, and a plan! (A January '12 PTR) TRIP REPORT STARTED!! 1/16!!

So in an excellent example of my neverfailing ability to turn the smallest thing into something I can't stop pondering, I'm now beginning to worry that I won't finish the 30-day challenge before we leave.

You know, the thing that only takes 30 days, and I still have well over 3 months to complete.

I'm a problem, I know. :laughing:

But I've been doing it for close to 2 months, and have only done 4 days out of it! :sad2:

So out of fear of becoming entirely boring/not finishing this entirely random "segment" (for lack of a better word) that I decided to do, I'm thinking of posting 2 days in one and seeing how that goes.

(Yes, I have entirely and completely defeated the purpose of something that I think is intended to be done once a day, in 30 days. But that's just who I am! :thumbsup2)

Yes, this rambling introduction/explanation pretty much had no point. I know.

Onward we go!

Day 5: Your Favorite Attraction in Liberty Square

Definitely absolutely no question: Haunted Mansion

I love this ride. I LOVE this ride. I love the updates that had been done a few years ago, and I seriously absolutely cannot wait to see the new queue (I'm determined to find the ring) - everything I've seen about it looks awesome.

(If you ever want to read more about the Haunted Mansion than you've ever probably wanted to read, check out the Wikipedia page, which goes through details in every room, and compares the versions of each Haunted Mansion (Disney World, Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, and Tokyo Disneyland) in amazing detail.)

This is always a ride that Wingnut and I "hurry baaaaack" to every time we go to MK.

(Lame pun, I know. Sorry.)

Day 6: Your Favorite Attraction in Frontierland

It's funny, most of my memories of visiting WDW when I was younger are from around Frontierland (I had gone to Disneyland when I was 6, but not WDW until I was around 12), speed-walking to Splash Mountain (remember the time without FastPasses??), my dad and I tormenting my mom by making her watch the Country Bear Jamboree...

Ah, memories...:goodvibes

Frontierland is still one of my favorite areas, I love the theme and area music (hey, it's been awhile since I've posted some area music!).

(Doesn't listening to this just FEEL like being in Disney?? You're welcome!)

As far as my favorite attraction...I'm going to have to go with Splash Mountain.

(Bizarrely, the only photo I have of Splash on this computer is while it's under maintenance..)

I believe there's supposed to be water there...

I actually haven't been on Splash in several years, based on a combination of it being under maintenance, then it being absolutely freezing during the past few trips. That's what I get for going in the winter, I guess! :laughing:

But I love this ride, the theme is absolutely wonderful. I still always get nervous before the big drop, even though I've been on the ride too many times to count. But my favorite memory of the ride is as follows:

Whenever my dad and I would ride Splash, he would always let me get into the little log boat thing first. Okay. And we would go on the ride, through everything, down the final drop. And still okay. But then we would round that final curve, and there would be (I say "would be" because I haven't been on SM in so long I'm not positive it's still there, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't be. Feel free to correct me here!) a teeny little waterfall on the right side (where my dad would be sitting), and it would ALWAYS splash right on him. Just that extra little insurance that he'd been "splashed".

Literally, this would happen EVERY time we rode. I'd get in first, and then my dad would remember the little waterfall well after we had taken off (him: :headache:; me: :rotfl:). And we would laugh and laugh.

(No, not just me, I promise he would laugh too!)

So now I'm curious...is that little waterfall still there? Do you torment your polite chivalrous friends and family members by gladly getting into the boat first? Or is that just me? :laughing:

And as always, chime in with your favorites!!

Your favorites are my favorites, but I have been avoiding splash lately because people come off soaking wet. There is this splash/fountain thing that is timed to hit the boat rounding the corner. For years it seemed like it didn't work right and now it is perfect. I need a poncho to ride it now!

So cool that your dad always protected you from the water. Go Dad! :thumbsup2

I totally lost steam on the 30 day challenge on my PTR as well...but I figure I have over a year so I will get to it. :lmao:

I agree with you on the Haunted Mansion completely, I could ride this over and over again and it never gets boring.

Hmmm. I'm not a fan of Splash, the big drop terrifies me and the last time I rode it (Hi MEK!) I got soaked and no one else did! :rotfl2:

I love Haunted Mansion and Splash also! :lovestruc Splash will be the last think we go on this year before leaving MK though, just in case I get soaked again! :rotfl:

Haunted Mansion and Splash are my favorites, too! Liberty Square is just my favorite MK land, period, since I'm a history nerd. I LOVE walking by the tree with the lanterns hanging in it at night. :lovestruc

Ahhh, thanks for the Frontierland music...I have such great memories of being there at nighttime hearing it!

Fun memories. :lovestruc

I love all the music that wafts through the air in Disney World. It's one thing I really, really miss when we leave the Disney bubble. I remedy that with a lot of DIS Radio and Magical Mouse Radio playing in the background at home.

Life before Fastpasses. Yes, I do remember.
Fastpasses are our friends. ::yes::

:rotfl: That's actually the EXACT pose Wingnut suggested we do. We probably will do something along those lines - why not?? :laughing:

can't wait to see it :laughing: :thumbsup2

favorite attractions:

Liberty Square I am sure you know...Haunted Mansion of course :hmghost: and in Adventureland BTMRR for sure...love to go on it, after all it's the wildest ride in the wilderness :cool1: YEE-HA!

I have to agree with the Haunted Mansion, when we went years ago, Noelle told us that one of the hitchhiking ghosts had decided to come to lunch with us, and she held hands with him the whole way.

As for Adventureland, I have to go with The Swiss Family Treehouse, but I'm goofy that way.

When ever Nina heads out to the kitchen, I've taken to impersonating the "Hurry Baa-ak" in the creepy little girl voice. She finds it less amusing each time.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Haunted Mansion! :lovestruc Splash scares the crap out of me, but it's my dd's favorite, so we have to go on it! I scream every time! :laughing:

Your favorites are my favorites, but I have been avoiding splash lately because people come off soaking wet. There is this splash/fountain thing that is timed to hit the boat rounding the corner. For years it seemed like it didn't work right and now it is perfect. I need a poncho to ride it now!

So cool that your dad always protected you from the water. Go Dad! :thumbsup2

I know, I haven't ridden since they turned up the splash, people look DRENCHED now! I liked when it was a nice little wave, not a deluge of water! :laughing:

Hahaha it was pretty cool of him to always take the right side!

I totally lost steam on the 30 day challenge on my PTR as well...but I figure I have over a year so I will get to it. :lmao:

I agree with you on the Haunted Mansion completely, I could ride this over and over again and it never gets boring.

Hmmm. I'm not a fan of Splash, the big drop terrifies me and the last time I rode it (Hi MEK!) I got soaked and no one else did! :rotfl2:

I haven't lost steam so much as I just never picked up a fast enough pace! I kept being, I have enough time, I have enough time...hmm...I've only done, like, two. :rotfl:

Same here! I'm very excited to see all the new changes to the HM.

It's funny, I really do always get nervous before the drop every time. And I'm usually that person that gets drenched when everyone else stays dry (I'm looking at you, Kali River Rapids :sad2::laughing:). Now that Splash is so intensely...splashy...I'm pretty sure my shoes would be soaked for a week!

I love Haunted Mansion and Splash also! :lovestruc Splash will be the last think we go on this year before leaving MK though, just in case I get soaked again! :rotfl:

That's definitely a good plan! I can only see going on it early if it's a hot sunny day. And even then, I'd have to think about it! :laughing:

Haunted Mansion and Splash are my favorites, too! Liberty Square is just my favorite MK land, period, since I'm a history nerd. I LOVE walking by the tree with the lanterns hanging in it at night. :lovestruc

Ahhh, thanks for the Frontierland music...I have such great memories of being there at nighttime hearing it!

Liberty Square is so brilliantly done, isn't it? All of the lands are, but I just love all of the realistic touches there.

:laughing: You're welcome!! I love listening to the area music, that always makes me feel like I'm there!

Fun memories. :lovestruc

I love all the music that wafts through the air in Disney World. It's one thing I really, really miss when we leave the Disney bubble. I remedy that with a lot of DIS Radio and Magical Mouse Radio playing in the background at home.

Life before Fastpasses. Yes, I do remember.
Fastpasses are our friends. ::yes::

Same here! When we went last time in December, I remember the holiday music being played as the only thing I really didn't like. I missed all of the regular area music!

Fastpasses are wonderful, wonderful things, aren't they? I'm nostalgic for a few things of older Disney times, but a pre-Fastpasses time is not one of them!

can't wait to see it :laughing: :thumbsup2

favorite attractions:

Liberty Square I am sure you know...Haunted Mansion of course :hmghost: and in Adventureland BTMRR for sure...love to go on it, after all it's the wildest ride in the wilderness :cool1: YEE-HA!

BTMRR is fun, but it's too bumpy for me! I didn't like sliding and bouncing around...but I'm sure that just adds to the fun for most people!

I have to agree with the Haunted Mansion, when we went years ago, Noelle told us that one of the hitchhiking ghosts had decided to come to lunch with us, and she held hands with him the whole way.

As for Adventureland, I have to go with The Swiss Family Treehouse, but I'm goofy that way.

When ever Nina heads out to the kitchen, I've taken to impersonating the "Hurry Baa-ak" in the creepy little girl voice. She finds it less amusing each time.

Awww that's very sweet of Noelle to make sure her new ghost friend was going to be well-fed!

I don't think I've actually been in the Swiss Family Treehouse - it looks like fun, but attractions that are more seating-based become more appealing to me after walking around the parks! :laughing:

:rotfl: That's too funny about telling Nina to hurry baaaaaack.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Haunted Mansion! :lovestruc Splash scares the crap out of me, but it's my dd's favorite, so we have to go on it! I scream every time! :laughing:

Isn't Haunted Mansion seriously one of the best rides?? I just love everything about it!

Hahaha aww well that's very good of you to go on Splash! It's okay, I refuse to put my hands up on the drop, I'm irrationally afraid I'm going to fall out! :laughing:

I think I'd have to say Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder, but I've never been on Splash Mountain... and I refuse to ride in December, so it'll be some time before I get on it!

Though there really isn't much choice in Liberty Square, is there? I went and looked it up because I was sure I had missed something, but nope! Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Liberty Belle. Exciting! Though I don't know what else they could add in that space and there's nothing really theme-y that could be put in. I wouldn't want a Pocahontas ride (still bitter about that one) and Haunted Mansion kind of tops Ichabod Crane. Maybe a bigger Princess and the Frog presence?

So....catching up on the 30-day challenge. Here are my picks:

Day 1 - Favorite Park: I feel so disloyal to the other parks saying this :rolleyes1 but....I have to say Epcot overall. WS is one of my absolute favorite places on earth. I'm smiling just thinking about it! MK does come in a very close second though. It doesn't feel like I've been to Disney until I walk down Main Street! :goodvibes

Day 2 - Favorite Land in MK: Fantasyland! Mostly because of the expressions of sheer bliss I've seen on my children and now grandchildren's faces when we're there! :)

Day 3 - Favorite Attraction in Tomorrowland: Tied between COP and TTA Peoplemover. No explanation needed, right? ;)

Day 4 - Favorite Attraction in Fantasyland: Another tie between Mickey's Philharmagic and It's A Small World (love Disneyland's version of this one).

Day 5 - Favorite Attraction in Liberty Square: Hall of Presidents (I think the Audio-Animatronics in this attraction are amazing. It feels like they're almost real!) Followed closely by the Haunted Mansion, of course!

Day 6 - Favorite Attraction in Frontierland: I would love to say Splash Mountain but I can't! I haven't been on that ride in so many years mostly due to the fact that we go in Jan-Feb and it's just too cold to tempt me to get on! :rotfl: So, I guess I'd say Tom Sawyer Island. A great "off the beaten path" place to visit!

Now I'm caught up and enjoying reading everyone's responses to your challenge. It's a really good way to get my daily Disney fix! :thumbsup2

I think I'd have to say Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder, but I've never been on Splash Mountain... and I refuse to ride in December, so it'll be some time before I get on it!

Though there really isn't much choice in Liberty Square, is there? I went and looked it up because I was sure I had missed something, but nope! Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Liberty Belle. Exciting! Though I don't know what else they could add in that space and there's nothing really theme-y that could be put in. I wouldn't want a Pocahontas ride (still bitter about that one) and Haunted Mansion kind of tops Ichabod Crane. Maybe a bigger Princess and the Frog presence?

I wish there was a way to ride Splash without getting wet! The ride is really fun, but unpleasant in the cold!

There isn't, I double-checked too! I think that the rides and attractions that are there work well, but it would be fun if another joined the group!

So....catching up on the 30-day challenge. Here are my picks:

Day 1 - Favorite Park: I feel so disloyal to the other parks saying this :rolleyes1 but....I have to say Epcot overall. WS is one of my absolute favorite places on earth. I'm smiling just thinking about it! MK does come in a very close second though. It doesn't feel like I've been to Disney until I walk down Main Street! :goodvibes

Day 2 - Favorite Land in MK: Fantasyland! Mostly because of the expressions of sheer bliss I've seen on my children and now grandchildren's faces when we're there! :)

Day 3 - Favorite Attraction in Tomorrowland: Tied between COP and TTA Peoplemover. No explanation needed, right? ;)

Day 4 - Favorite Attraction in Fantasyland: Another tie between Mickey's Philharmagic and It's A Small World (love Disneyland's version of this one).

Day 5 - Favorite Attraction in Liberty Square: Hall of Presidents (I think the Audio-Animatronics in this attraction are amazing. It feels like they're almost real!) Followed closely by the Haunted Mansion, of course!

Day 6 - Favorite Attraction in Frontierland: I would love to say Splash Mountain but I can't! I haven't been on that ride in so many years mostly due to the fact that we go in Jan-Feb and it's just too cold to tempt me to get on! :rotfl: So, I guess I'd say Tom Sawyer Island. A great "off the beaten path" place to visit!

Now I'm caught up and enjoying reading everyone's responses to your challenge. It's a really good way to get my daily Disney fix! :thumbsup2

All of your picks sound great! :thumbsup2 (except I can't agree with your choice of Hall of Presidents...definitely doesn't beat the Haunted Mansion in my book! :laughing:)

:headache:

So I opened my email to find that our flight down to WDW was schedule-changed. It's only an hour later, putting us in Florida just before 11 am. I know this isn't a huge deal, but I'm still a bit annoyed. Wingnut and I like to get to Disney as early as possible on our first day (literally if I could take a 4 am flight down I so would), and now we probably won't get to the Boardwalk until at least after noon.

I know, I know. It's literally only an hour. But still...:mad:

But I didn't post to just complain! I have super-awesome exciting news!!

If you are new to my reports, you may not have heard about my food allergies, which include cinnamon, peanut, nutmeg, and ginger.

NOT ANY MORE!!! :yay::yay::yay:

Recently, I hadn't had any incidents of allergy problems. So we started thinking that maybe my allergies had changed again, and tested it out.

I am no longer allergic to cinnamon. Or peanut. Or nutmeg. Or ginger. (We still have yet to test mango, but that will come soon).

I DON'T HAVE TO FILL OUT AN ALLERGY FORM FOR MY TRIP!!! I am SO excited to be free to eat pretty much what I want now. It still hasn't hit me entirely (I emailed Wingnut the other day, "I JUST REALIZED I CAN HAVE CANNOLIS AGAIN!")

Wingnut is very excited too (in part because he no longer has to carry Wisps - those little portable toothbrush things - with him for when he has cinnamon around me).

Tonga Toast. Those heavenly-smelling spiced nuts around the parks. All of the butters and sauces at Jiko. The desserts I wanted from a display case but were touching ones that had cinnamon....

these treats are off-limits no longer!! :woohoo:

WOW! THAT IS BIG NEWS!!!!!!!!!! Congrats! :cool1: I know how tough it is to live with allergies, mine aren't life threatening, but if I have dairy or wheat, I break out, get bloated, stiff, and generally feel crappy. HOW on earth did you get rid of allergies?!?!? That's really exciting!

Yipee!!!! I'm so happy that you don't have to worry about your allergies any more!

About the schedule change.... maybe you can call them and have them switch you to another flight... is there one that arrives earlier? or one the night before? Just a thought!

That is such EXCITING news! Woo Hoo to no allergies!!! :banana:

I'd be upset if they changed my flight time too. We just want the magic to start ASAP! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter