A Missing Kid Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not read this whole thread as it has gotten quite long, but I did read about half of it and just wanted to put this out there.
We were on the fantasy in January, and we were standing along the railing near the atrium on deck 5 watching the characters below. All of a sudden there was a child, maybe 3 years old, wandering around crying, and no body paying any attention. The child was so distraught, I couldn't even get her to speak to me. I was trying to ask her where she had come from, or if she new where her mommy or daddy were, but she couldn't even speak she was so shaken up. All if a sudden a CM, I think the lady that was working at the port adventures desk, came over from the opposite direction of the clubs, and took her to the club, saying that she "must have escaped". I felt so bad for this poor little girl, and was very curious to know if her parents would be notified that she had managed to "tailgate" another child and escape the kids club!!

I have not read this whole thread as it has gotten quite long, but I did read about half of it and just wanted to put this out there.
We were on the fantasy in January, and we were standing along the railing near the atrium on deck 5 watching the characters below. All of a sudden there was a child, maybe 3 years old, wandering around crying, and no body paying any attention. The child was so distraught, I couldn't even get her to speak to me. I was trying to ask her where she had come from, or if she new where her mommy or daddy were, but she couldn't even speak she was so shaken up. All if a sudden a CM, I think the lady that was working at the port adventures desk, came over from the opposite direction of the clubs, and took her to the club, saying that she "must have escaped". I felt so bad for this poor little girl, and was very curious to know if her parents would be notified that she had managed to "tailgate" another child and escape the kids club!!
She MAY have escaped from the kids club OR from her parents. No way to know at this point.

Jugglemom said:
You may think that but that is not entirely accurate. I am in-house counsel for a company larger than Disney. As legal counsel we provide advice as to legal risk. The " business" unit then determines whether or not it is willing to take that legal risk based on financial metrics. Disney may very well decide that the operating costs involved with hiring more staff to increase the child to staff ratio is substantially more than the costs related to settling any incidents that occur. Since, as a condition to settlement, it is usually require that the parties sign a Nondisclosure Agreement, these incidents are never widely reported. There is no altruism involved - companies decide to do things only to the extent it is financially advantageous or disadvantageous, as the case may be.

With respect to the level of care that I expect my child to receive, I do not think it is too much to expect for them to be produced on demand and in one piece. To the extent there is any injury that occurs to a child beyond the norm then we look at whether it was reasonably foreseeable. I think it is reasonably foreseeable that a 3 year old when not supervised in a play space where there are 12 year olds could get seriously injured - in fact, I think it is more likely than not. This leads me to believe that Disney has taken the approach I outlined above and that such incidents are under NDA which is why we don't hear about them.

But, then again, I have been corporate counsel for so long that I am admittedly jaded.

This is probably what's going on here. So maybe posting a story like this is a good thing. It makes parents aware that their children may not be as closely supervised as they thought. Knowing that you can make a decision about what is best for your child. Just from some of the personal accounts in this thread we can see DCL has had this issue or similar issues with other children. I didn't see any of the other posters mention that they asked for any compensation or were offered any. So what Disney has learned is that even when something happens not everyone will ask for compensation. Then just think, out of those who ask for compensation how many do you think accept the bottle of wine or free park tickets and let it drop? My guess is a lot. It probably is cheaper to just settle the few cases that make it further than that than it is to hire more CMs for every shift, every day, every cruise.

I think if my child was three I wouldn't want them in this kind of child care arrangement.

My just turned 5 year old fell asleep in the kids club/lab one day. We also couldn't find him and I had a few moments of panic. I ended up leaving when we couldn't find him to get my husband to help look for him as I was getting into panic mode. We found him asleep under a bean bag chair in the lab. I don't blame DCL for that one. If anything I'm happy they wore him out enough to take a nap.

Interesting how practically the same situation was handled with rational thinking. I always kept calm when DD was missing because you have to be able to think and answer questions, but the relief when I saw her was overwhelming.

As an outsider looking in, it seems like more could have been done, however, as a mother who has lost their child in a public place, no one is ever doing enough when your kid is missing. You forget details and think everyone should panic like you so your judgement is clouded. I'm not saying Disney was right or wrong, but a parent's side of that story is going to be vastly different from DCL. It's a shame it happened, there is nothing more terrifying.

You may think that but that is not entirely accurate. I am in-house counsel for a company larger than Disney. As legal counsel we provide advice as to legal risk. The " business" unit then determines whether or not it is willing to take that legal risk based on financial metrics. Disney may very well decide that the operating costs involved with hiring more staff to increase the child to staff ratio is substantially more than the costs related to settling any incidents that occur. Since, as a condition to settlement, it is usually require that the parties sign a Nondisclosure Agreement, these incidents are never widely reported. There is no altruism involved - companies decide to do things only to the extent it is financially advantageous or disadvantageous, as the case may be.

With respect to the level of care that I expect my child to receive, I do not think it is too much to expect for them to be produced on demand and in one piece. To the extent there is any injury that occurs to a child beyond the norm then we look at whether it was reasonably foreseeable. I think it is reasonably foreseeable that a 3 year old when not supervised in a play space where there are 12 year olds could get seriously injured - in fact, I think it is more likely than not. This leads me to believe that Disney has taken the approach I outlined above and that such incidents are under NDA which is why we don't hear about them.

But, then again, I have been corporate counsel for so long that I am admittedly jaded.

Not so long ago, I worked on the defense side (not insurance). I completely agree with you, especially because the ship is registered in the Bahamas and due to the forum selection clause on the cruise contract.

It is highly difficult for anyone to sue DCL in the US, and so DCL may be willing to take more risks. IMO, it would take a lot of legal posturing to get even close to settlement negotiations with DCL.

Compare this to the fact that Disneyland gets sued at least a few times a year over ADA issues, employment issues, liability issues. If the "Kids Club" were in Disneyland, it would be run differently. Period.

I think there are 2 cost efficient ways for DCL to fix the age range problem: (1) Limit the Club to children age 4 or older; and (2) return to the separation between the Lab and the Club.

I just don't think kids younger than 4 should "play" around kids who are 12. Most kids who are ages 3 & 4 are preschoolers whom have never been exposed to real "recess" and older children (with the exception of their own siblings). If CMs can't give more individualized care to the little ones, then the little ones shouldn't be in the Club.

BlakeandMaddysMomma said:

You're making a HUGE assumption that the escape was from the clubs and not bolting from the parents as kids are wont to do. DD does that to us, especially in places she "knows" like the Wonder or our local YMCA. In the parks, lost children are taken to the Baby Care Center. On the ships, they are taken to the clubs. That's what the CM was doing. You can't be sure of ANYTHING else. I've seen kids try to get past the gates at the clubs without scanning out, even with the collusion of their rushed parents, and between the structure there and the CMs, it's a wall.

I've also had the experience of forgetting the password I used when registering online three months earlier, had my child pointing at me yelling "Mama! Mama!" and her KTTW in my hand, and the CM not even flinching when repeatedly denying me access to check out my child without that password. Was I frustrated? Yes. Was that directed at the CM? Absolutely not. She was protecting the kids in her care, including mine. I finally remembered my password after a few minutes and all was well. Have NEVER forgotten it since! :D

neg58 said:
I agree with you - unless you are told that that is NOt how they run the Club, that there are no assigned groups, that kids are free to run around the club wherever they want. If you are told that there is no specific supervision of any particular child, then I think you have to decide if your child will be safe in that environment. It's a 'this is what is offered, do you want to participate? situation. Many cruisers don't use the Clubs. I think in this case, the child was young, tired, it was late, and he quietly fell asleep. Should the CM have noticed? Yes. Is it a major child care failure? No.

This is NOt daycare. These are CM who aren't necessarily trained in early childhood development. They are watching kids who might not be used to day care, especially drop off daycare where the child doesn't know anyone else and doesn't know the leaders.

I really don't expect perfection in the clubs. The electronic bracelets are going to break down at times. They then have the KTTW cards that can be checked at the counter, but no child goes out without scanning the bracelet and if that doesn't work, then questions are asked. Kids can be pushed and shoved and fall and be bitten in the Club, just like they can be at day care. Three year olds push and shove and bite. It is not a perfect environment. It is not individual care. It is group care

Do I think DCL should have done more to help the father find the child in the club? Yes. When the bracelet didn't work, a supervisor should have said, "OK, he's in here somewhere. Everyone with kids doing an activity sit on the floor where you are and you 5 CM's search NOW." Believe it or not, many of the kids in the clubs have experienced Lock-Downs at school and know what to do! My kids have gone through 5 or so of them, ranging from 20 minutes to 6 hours.

I have more of a problem with DCL thinking a bottle of wine is the answer to every issue (I've heard of it before being sent after a complaint). Find out what the problem was with the bracelet and let the parents know, even if the answer is simply that it needed to be reset. Ask if the parents would like a tour of the club to see if there is anything that can be done to rehabilitate the cruise, such as assigning a cast member to be with the child in the club (the child would have to be willing to stay with the CM and do what the CM is assigned to do for that session too). Why would stopping by the table and wishing the mother a happy birthday resolve the issue or even show that DCL cares? I don't get that request at all, unless the parents have a need to feel important.

Nancy

I completely agree with this. All of it. Well said!

My friends and I lost our girls for about 30 minutes and it was alarming. The girls (ages 7 to 8) wanted to climb the stairs from dinner up to the pool deck. Us Moms wanted to take the elevator. Well, we waited at the top of the stairs and the girls never showed up! Guest Services seemed to have no way of alerting anyone or any method of helping. One if us stayed on the pool deck, one of us stayed near the staircase, and I went searching.

The girls got quite scared themselves. They had somehow gone to look at something, lost their sense of direction and come out on the pool deck on a different stairway near the adult section and were shooed away from the area. They finally found their way to one of our cabins where a mom had left her cell phone. My daughter knows my number by heart so she called me. Fortunately my phone was still on as we were still in US waters!

I was never panicked because I figured 3 girls together would be basically OK but I was definitely worried. The girls were in tears. After that we had a wave phone lesson but the wave phones never seemed to work all that well.

I was very surprised that Guest Services did not have any system in place to help find lost children. In the parks they are so phenomenally well organized and have such a good cast member communication system that I just assumed they would be equally coordinated in the smaller environment of the ship.

Honestly, I am glad I read through this thread. I have a just turned 3 year old and we will be cruising DCL in Sept. I had no idea how little supervision he would have in the kid's club. I think that for this cruise at least, we will keep him with us and can try the kid's club when he is a little older. I could see him trying to keep up with the bigger kids in the club and getting hurt. Unfortunately, he won't have any older siblings in there to keep an eye on him.

As far as the situation with this dad, I see both sides. I can't imagine the dad running all over the ship looking for his child if the club had made it clear that there was no way his child wasn't in there. Any parent who has ever lost a child knows the panic and terror that you feel while your child is missing. Obviously it was an unfortunate coincidence that the band wasn't working and the child was hidden from sight. The cm's must not have been sure that the child was still in there themselves because of the problem with the band and they didn't make it clear to the parents because no parent is going to go on a wild goose chase if they are reassured.

All of that being said, the child was found unharmed and in the end, the club did nothing wrong. I don't think the parents deserve compensation, although I do think the club needs to make sure there is a better way to keep track of kids. Maybe a camera at the entrance/exit that they can quickly scan to make sure a child hasn't tailgated with another family in the unlikely event that there is another issue with a band not working properly so that they will know where to search. I also think that having 3 year olds in the same group with 12 year olds is asking for trouble.

While I can relate to the panic of not being able to find your child right away, thinking that a 3 year old somehow LEFT the club and MIGHT be thinking of leaving the ship is preposterous!

On our very first DCL cruise, on the Magic, I went to find my dd in the club to take her to get ready for dinner. She was not in the club, so I walked over to check the lab. She wasn't there, either, so I just assumed that I had missed her on the first pass in the club (its not like its a giant, empty room, duh!) and went back to check again. At no point did I automatically assume that she was lost. (she was 5, btw) And, low and behold, she was there, facing away from me...did you know that LOTS of kids have dark brown hair??? And, that many of them look alike from the back??? lol
I realized that I probably had seen her earlier, but didn't realize it was her in the sea of little people!

This entire story is ridiculous, and I don't say that because it tries to shed a poor light on DCL.

It does, however, explain to the MANY people who believe that the bracelet that their child is wearing is somehow "magical". It isn't. It tells you whether or not your kid is in the club. That's it. So, don't go to Guest Services and ask them to "track" your kid down, that is still the responsibility of the parent.

I wish that people had read the father's blog post as quoted on page 6 of this thread. In the father's blog post he states that he had a conversation with the Cruise Director and...

I was given the following answers and assurances:
  • They were aware the lighting was too low in the care facility and they plan to renovate it the next time the ship dry docks.
  • They do have a process for handling lost child emergencies, however since that hadn’t been apparent to us, they would look into that and address it.
  • I was given an apology for the lack of empathy shown to my wife by the crew during the crisis.
  • They would definitely investigate why the tracking band was unreadable.

So he was assured of the above things--that the lighting was too low, that there's a process for handling lost children but that it had not been appropriately described to him and they would look into that and address it, that there was an apology for the lack of empathy, and they would investigate the tracking band.

So basically he's upset because they didn't get a personal apology from the captain and he didn't get a refund for his cruise?

I mean look, I'm a parent, and I absolutely would inwardly panic if my child went missing. It's a horrible feeling. If this situation happened to me, I wouldn't ask for a refund or personal apology from the captain at my Palo dinner. My child was missing. An apology and some cash would not make me feel better. I would want some changes made so this didn't happen to other parents. I would want someone in charge to assure me that 1) they were aware of the lighting situation that made it hard to find my child, 2) they need to do a better job of explaining the lost child procedure to worried parents, 3) an apology for acting cold and uncaring, and 4) a promise to investigate why the wrist band didn't work properly.

Which is exactly what the Cruise Director did.

He says:
Disappointingly, no one came by to apologize or offer birthday wishes
Except for the Cruise Director, quoted above? And birthday wishes would have made this okay?

And guest services later?
A few days later, we received a call from Rebecca, an executive from Disney’s communication team. After I told her the whole story, she was apologetic, but said there was no way they would refund our money.

You wanted an apology and you got one, from the Cruise Director and the exec from Disney's communication team. So what's left of this complaint then? A free cruise?

I do not in any way believe that Disney is perfect and I am not a DCL apologist. It sounds to me like they handled the actual missing child incident inappropriately. However, when the Cruise Director explicitly acknowledges and addresses each of the points above (as reported by the father) including an apology and a statement that they will look into each aspect, what more does he want?

He says:
Later, I spoke with my wife and we agreed that the best outcome would be not having to pay for a vacation that was ruined.

For ME, as a parent, I would not (quote) decide "that the best outcome would be not having to pay for a vacation that was ruined." I would think that the "best outcome" would be DCL acknowledging and addressing the factors that led to the incident to prevent it from happening again to another family. Not me getting a free vacation. :confused3

I think the dad is over-reacting, and had a lot of blame on his own hands for, as he called it, ruining his own vacation.

Others have pointed out the assumptions the father made about the wristbands.
But it's equally important to point out that the wrist band, in its essential capacity, worked as designed. That is, it indicates that a child has passed a given checkpoint. The facts, had they had the wherewithal to check, would have indicated that:

* My child has checked in.
* My child has not checked out.

We are told the wristband was "UNREADABLE". It is open to debate, unless someone is intimately familiar with the wrist band system in question, what, precisely this means.

Even if the wristband became inoperable after check in, there is no requirement that the wristband to be properly functioning at all times for DCL CMs to know that the child is where he is supposed to be! It would have had to be working to be checked in. If it doesn't work at check out, the old wristband should be replaced with one that does, and then the child should be checked out with that one.

So, as Sherlock Holmes would say, "having eliminated all other possibilities, the one that remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Can a child escape? Can CMs mess up and allow a child to exit? Can children tailgate out? Sure, all of these are possibilities, but possibilities CMs are trained to manage, observe, and prevent. To assume the worst had happened without eliminating the obvious, was going too far, and we're not even 5 minutes into the search yet!

Secondly, there are many factual inaccuracies in the father's blog post. For one, it is not correct to state that they:

"[found] our child missing from their child care facility".

Now perhaps they were led to believe that their child was missing from the facility... But, that's not what the dad said, and I think he would have if it was in fact what happened. This is perhaps the earliest point that we as parents can learn from. Do not jump to conclusions. Examine the situation, and behave rationally, for if this was an actual emergency, your child is depending on you to do so!

Thirdly, he ignored evidence that supported the reality of the situation:

"I spotted two of his friends and asked if they’d seen him. They said he was there someplace".

It turns out his friends were right, but this evidence and testimony was downplayed in the panic, perhaps because of the fear of the worst, perhaps because it was offered by children. Lesson for us parents is, make yourself available to listen for truth, no matter what the source!

Fourth, he ceded to others his responsibility to find his child. Why was he so quick to consider searching for his own child to be a hassle? Why was he annoyed in the search? I found it fun to sneak up on my son to see where he was, what he was doing? It makes me wonder if the state of mind of the father could have had a material impact on his perspective of the possibilities he was willing to consider?

He states:

"I began looking under draped compartments, behind obstacles, anywhere a child might hide."

Here I think lurks another lesson: Leave no stone unturned, and do not leave the task to well meaning strangers. What voice do children most reliably respond to? Those of the parent! Do not abandon the search where all of the evidence is telling you your child is! The father says he looked "anywhere" a child might hide, but clearly he did not search "everywhere".

Now a fair point to debate might be whether or not it should be necessary to conduct such a thorough search, but if I recall, we were talking about a 3 year old boy in a strange new environment? Are we really surprised he found a cranny and took a nap somewhere quiet and dark?

Fifth, and most damning to his case of who ruined his wife's vacation, I think this father could have been a better husband. The way he tells it:

"I took a moment to call my wife and asked her to come over immediately because they couldn’t find our son!"

What a horrible place to put your wife! Her only view into what is happening is how you present the situation to her. Assess your situation, and state the facts. "Hey honey, I need your help. I can't find DS in the kids club, and I could use your help to track him down. Can you drop DD off with your friends, and help me call out to him? His friends said he is here somewhere, and I'm starting to worry!"

But instead of remedying that apparently frantic call with his wife, when she did arrive:

"My wife had shown up by this time and was understandably distraught but there was no time for me to console her."

No time to console? You haven't even done your dear wife the service of explaining what precisely you know, what you don't know, and what you could do-- together-- to eliminate more of the unknowns! You know children have seen him. Do you know when? Do you know where? What was his state of mind? Were there any adults around? Was he hanging out with other children? A key source of important facts was overlooked as the parent delved into full panic mode!

Another lesson for us parents to try to keep in mind when such horrid events unfold for us: Bring presence of mind to your communications with your loved and trusted ones. Explain what you know, what you don't know, and what you could do together to eliminate the "fog of war"!

As this poor father relates:

"One look at the terror on my wife’s face and the pleading look in her eyes told me he was still missing. I shook my head and she began to sob, calling out for help. I will never forget that moment.
I was forced to turn my back on her and head the other way to continue the search for our son."

I find this statement hard not to be judgmental about. The terror on his wife's face was as much, if not more, his doing, than any kind of poor process, procedure, willful or accidental behavior of DCL CMs. He chose to turn his back on his own wife to follow the folly of his random and desperate search!

"In a display of heartlessness, none of the employees offered her sympathy or consolation. They literally turned their backs on her and acted like she was irrational and overreacting, leaving her there alone sobbing and shaking."

I've been on several DCL cruises. I've seen the "twentysomethings" that staff these locations. They are kind, generous, if young and perhaps not the best "crisis management experts". They are essentially well-trained baby sitters, not Search And Rescue experts that do well in a ground-zero situation, nor should they be! It's their job to make sure the wristbands get checked, that hands get washed, that parents provide the proper password, not to provide psychological counseling to a wife who was, by the accounts of this understandably upset father, left to twist in the wind as he desperately, and naively searched obscure and unnecessary parts of the ship when the facts of the matter indicated a much more likely place for him to search and to enlist the help of his wife.

Sixth, the response that this father requested from DCL staff was fully disproportionate to the actual risk that the situation entailed. According to his own testimony, staff had been alerted to the possibility of a child that could have possibly escaped from the club. That doesn't mean all staff, on a ship of hundreds, if not a thousand employees, having those that have the training and wherewithal to search for a child would seem to be adequate! Certainly the people who dutifully check key to the world cards at the gangplanks know, at the risk of being fired, that they must check every single person off or on with a key to the world card!

The lesson for us to take away from this is to realize that while it might be reasonable for us to think of making such an announcement, officials will not induce a panic in public venues. Our goal as parents ought to be to help the officials quickly eliminate all reasonable efforts, so they can begin to realize that the only remaining choices are to take extreme steps. Had this happened, had the father literally left no stone unturned, CMs would probably have responded to his needs more promptly, but at that point, it likely would have been unnecessary.

I understand a missing child is scary, but frankly, it's not an emergency until it's been clearly identified as an emergency. It turns out this was not an emergency. It turns out that if someone should be apologizing, it's this parent for creating a panic, when none was warranted. If an announcement had gone out, and people started to question "hey, is that your kid?" to a father about to disembark from the ship with a crying child, what exactly has your panic wrought? I'd be furious if someone challenged me about whether the crying toddler on the gangplank was actually my child, that a public broadcast would have a potential to generate! Next thing you know, you'd have false citizens arrests of every parent with a crying child, all because of one parent's panic.

The father then begins assuming the worst about no announcement being sent. How would the employee have known that the announcement had gone out if it hadn't? Wouldn't the proper response have been "I see no announcement on my wave phone sir, let me send one now!".

And excuse me if I don't think the criteria for sounding the amber alert alarm isn't simply "if a child is not found on a single spurious pass of the kids club, every single CM on the ship should be given a priority 1 alert".

Again, we can learn from this. In situations like this, we must strive to work within the system to enlist and engage the staff to begin going through their process as quickly as possible to reach that point of creating an announcement, starting, of course, with what the facts of the situation were clearly indicating: that the child is still in the club!

"Later that evening, someone came to our room with a bottle of wine and a printed apology card."

Another lesson: When you've been banging the drum to create a panic, what's appropriate is a letter of gratitude, and apology to the staff. This entire missive is such a classic example of "First World Problems" (ruined cruise! I want a full refund!) it's jaw-dropping!

"How had our son been able to craw away and fall asleep without anyone noticing?"

You try being one of a dozen counselors to dozens of sugar-induced children lacking any parental oversight and keeping tabs of every single child for every single minute!

"Why were the employees unable to find him for nearly 45 minutes?"

Is it remotely possible that they reacted too strongly to his panic? The real question is, why wasn't he able to find his own child after a thorough and complete search of the facility after ten minutes? Why expect a stranger to do a more thorough job than you did?

"Why was his security band unreadable?"

His security band was readable when it needed to be. It got him checked into the facility. If it failed to check him out, he would have been issued a new one.

"Why did everyone ignore my wife and make her feel so alone and terrified?"​

Yes, indeed. Seems like the proper place to start this inquiry is with her husband.

"Why did none of the ship’s crew seem to be aware there was a missing child, despite the wave phone message which seemed to be their primary form of communication?"​

Because the people at the gangway are trained to not allow missing children from departing the ship. They don't need to be alerted to that situation because they know to look for it. Because they would have immediately known his KTTWC was not showing him off ship. Because the people at Guest Services aren't going to drop everything, leave their posts and search the kids club. All of these should be obvious to anyone except those under the mistaken expectation that a full ship search is warranted even by janitorial staff who are off duty, and every man woman and child on the ship! I get that you might think this is the case in a panic, but two months after the fact? Get a grip!

"Why was no announcement made on the ship at any point?"​

Clearly, an announcement was made to the people who needed to know. And because of the actions of this understandably desperate father, the announcement was probably made wider than the situation might have even warranted.

"Most importantly, why was there no apparent protocol in the event of a missing child considering this is Disney, a world-class organization that builds it’s reputation on the happiness of children?"

Having no apparent protocol and having no protocol at all are two different things.

"We felt that there were too many things that went wrong for us to simply accept a bottle of wine and a printed apology card. We wanted to make sure someone in charge knew about these problems–we wanted to speak with the Captain."

The Captain was surely made aware of the situation and probably saw it as clearly as several of those on this board do: That while this is clearly upsetting for the father and mother, the response of the parents were actually a detriment to quickly finding the child. If anything, the Captain and Cruise Director had an after-action report that included instructions on how to conduct an absolutely thorough search. To assume Disney did nothing about this is to underestimate the level of detail and dedication these professionals have about their jobs.

"So I made a call and asked to meet with the Captain, at his earliest convenience, to discuss what had happened."

Perhaps this father is under the impression that he's on the love boat and Captain Stubing has nothing better to do than to meet with (unnecessarily?) distraught guests that a member of his senior, non operational staff is unable to console. As a DCL cruiser, I'm glad the captain is deciding that this doesn't warrant his attention as a member of the executive operational staff who is responsible for the safety of thousands of people! I'd rather he conduct his shift, then retire to his room and rest so he can wake up rested, and then conduct his next shift, considering the awesome responsibility he is given, an order of magnitude greater than given to airline pilots!

"My primary intention was to help them better understand what went wrong, identify things that could be improved, and the overall way the issue was handled."

The irony here is palpable. The father is completely unable to see his part in creating the panic in his wife; unable to see the panic he caused while expecting others to have miraculously solve a problem that largely laid in his domain! If anything, Disney was able to keep the proper perspective, focus on where the problem actually lay, and could have been resolved far more effectively if the parents caused the CMs to focus on the facts, and not to feats of amazing desperation and unrealistic expectations.

And frankly, I think they understood the proper action items they needed to take more than this father did!

"During the meeting, I made it clear that while we were relieved that our son was eventually located, he HAD been missing for 45 minutes while in their care."

Again, another inaccurate statement of the facts. He was NOT missing for 45 minutes. His location was affirmatively known by the people who last saw him (in the club) and the record of his wristband indicated, properly, that he had checked in and not checked out. His precise location was unknown for 45 minutes, which is distinctly different from "missing for 45 minutes" as if he could have been anywhere on the ship, or worse (assuming to his visit to the gangplank) that he could have been taken off-ship in a foreign country!

"The fact that he was found didn’t change the apparent lack of a clear plan to find him, or the lack of urgency exhibited by the cruise staff."

This assumes far too much. An apparent lack of a clear plan, and an apparent lack of urgency does not indicate that DCL staff actually lack a plan, and actually didn't respond to this incident with the proper and appropriate concern!

"What happened essentially ruined her birthday and spoiled the entire trip for her."

I find it odd that this statement leads to the conclusion that the birthday was ruined due to the willful or negligent actions of DCL employees. That is not my conclusion, which leaves the father in a far less flattering light than he perhaps thinks he is in. It leaves DCL staff in a much better light, particularly not hearing the story from even their perspective, which we likely never will as Disney would not likely disparage the actions of a guest unless they had their hand forced in court.

He closes by suggesting that nobody offered any apologies, when in fact they did. That they didn't do it in person, at the time and place of their choosing belies the fact that, perhaps, the Cruise Director needed to be on stage at the WD theater at the time? Or perhaps he realized there was no apology that he could offer that would suffice, short of a free cruise, and thus the appropriate response was to state that corporate would handle it from there?

To me, the fact that Disney offered a two day park pass is going above and beyond what DCL should have ever had to do.

This father assumes that his son was lost, when he was not. This father assumed there was a poor response, but that is not apparent either. He states this was a "crisis aboard ship", but that seems a bit overstated to me. As a parent, yes, I would be distraught, but calling my inability to find my son in a club where he crawled into some dimly lit area would lead me to other conclusions.

The "uncaring, calculated corporate response afterward" is exactly what I'd expect from a company if I was so blind to all of the reasonable explanations of what happened, to the part I played in manufacturing a crisis when I could have been part of the solution and a hero to my wife by finding my son moments after realizing he had managed to hide out somewhere.

Anyone who concludes from this story that Disney can justly and properly be concluded to be associated with the "horrific experience of losing our child and a serious lack of customer service" is putting too much faith into one unfortunate family's experiences and not walking away with lessons learned of what not to do in such a stressful situation.

My heart goes out to this family, but my advice to them would be to call back Disney corporate, apologize for overreacting, and ask if they could donate those tickets to Make a Wish foundation or some other charity. If this situation is so traumatic that they would swear off all future Disney experiences, then I suspect this family is going to be jumping from crisis to crisis in many untold situations where "well that sucked, but how can we learn from it" is the proper response, not a self-righteous and embarrassing rant on one's blog.

Final point of perspective (and thanks for reading this far). This is my first post at Disboards. (As some say "long time reader, first time poster") My wife, an avid reader of this board, made me aware of this "debacle", and after reading his story, I couldn't help but comment with my perspective, which I hope helps some parent keep their wits when their kids need it the most. Often its hard as a parent to hear that our actions made a situation worse, or could have made it better if we had acted differently. We must embrace such opportunities because they are the ones that can help us react in ways that can frankly be life saving and life changing reactions.

Where are folks getting the assumption that the wristband was correct and everyone should have known the baby was still in the club?

Do you know what "unreadable" would signal to me on an electronic wristband? In the pool. In the ocean. Under water. "Unreadable" would NOT signal to me that "of course" my child was still in the kids club.

I also agree with those who have distinguished between losing your own child versus someone else losing them. By accepting your child into the kids club, regardless of the CM to kid ratio, Disney is absolutely assuming responsibility for your child. At the very least they are assuming responsibility for the location of your child. If Disney can't find my child that is a problem for this cruiser.

Our son will not be old enough to be in the clubs for a few years yet. And having read through all of this, I can't say that we'll use them even when he is old enough.

I think the dad is over-reacting, and had a lot of blame on his own hands for, as he called it, ruining his own vacation....

Very well and thoroughly said!

I think what sometimes is forgotten is that all people are different and thus react differently to the same situation. What also is forgotten is how quickly people will react to a story without thinking first. My first reaction was different from the next person's, which was different from the next, and so on.

We live in an age where a lot of the time, blame is passed around as well as responsibility. It seems as if the family were on their first DCL vacation. Their expectations of the the Club seem to be much different from mine, which more likely than not, comes from experience with DCL, but also from outside life experiences. They are the parents of very young kids so they lack the experiences many of us have had with school, clubs, sports, etc, and what to expect to get from others and what is actually our responsibilities when it comes to our children. Heck, they probably had never had a child "missing" up to this point in their lives and for it to happen so far from home in an unfamiliar place....

We are not privy to the protocols most places have in place for emergency situations. We are also not privy to the actual conversations that took place between this family and the CMs who were in charge of the situation. The above poster did a very good job at looking "through" the accounts presented to get to the best conclusion he could.

One last thing, it is my belief that this actually happens quite often. Not to the same extent, but the same premise. Parent goes to check out child. Can't find them initially. Looks to the CMs. Child is located. The difference I see is the reaction of this parent blew it into full blown panic way too soon. Maybe it was an initial reaction he received from a CM that seemed too nonchalant to him. Maybe it was his misunderstanding with how the club works, thinking CMs know the whereabouts of each child at all times. Whatever the case may be, many can learn SOMETHING from all of this.:goodvibes

I have a bit of a lighter take on this story as my friend had a similar situation with her DD (4 at the time). She checked her in, left to have a nice afternoon with her DH and returned to get her DD only to be confronted with the situation that she couldn't be found. Her story is different here as she knew her DD was almost certainly in the club and that if someone found a wandering 4 year old they would most likely alert a CM so she stayed calm and after 15-20 minutes she was allowed to go in and look for her DD. She said she looked high and low and could not find her DD anywhere and when it got to her being missing for almost an hour she started to get into a panic. She never said that Disney did not help her but she never said they did either as she says she was getting gradually into more and more of a panic that she didn't know what was going on around her, all she could focus on was finding her DD, so I can't comment on the CM response. She finally feared she could have wandered off and was speaking to the CM at the desk as her DD was missing for over an hour at this point only to hear some familiar little giggles. She turned and ran back into the club and after a few minutes found her DD who was giggling away and saying she was the best at playing hide and seek!!!! She laughs about it now but she says at the time it was a scary experience.

Is it not true that if this had happened on another cruise line other than Disney, most of the people who have posted would have said this family should have a FULL REFUND and then some....along with maybe firing the club CM's and any number of other things????

Everyone would be saying "I'll NEVER cruise with them." Or "I won't LET my family and friends cruise with them".......

No, this is not true.

I'll also add that one thing DCL might be able to do is configure an alert if a band on a child that is currently checked in goes to the "unreadable" state. That lets the staff know to locate that child and proactively troubleshoot or replace the band. And it should actually be fairly easy to do.

Where are folks getting the assumption that the wristband was correct and everyone should have known the baby was still in the club?

Those who have experienced the check in/out process for the clubs on DCL are commenting based on our observations and personal experience. You are basically drilled before being allowed to take a child with you from the club. You have to present your KTTW card. This shows the CM at the desk your picture and the pictures of any children who YOU are able to check in/out of the club. If you are not linked to the child you are trying to check out, forget about it! In addition to this, you need to know the password that you set up when registering your kids for the club. If the pictures match up, you won't be leaving with your kid until you remember that password. It's easy to set it up for someone else traveling with you to pick up your kids, but again, if they don't know the password they won't be allowed to touch them. There is a locking gate on both the entrance and exit side of the desk on the Magic/Wonder. The desk is more part of the entrance outside the clubs from what I remember on the Fantasy/Dream. There are always CMs stationed at the entrance/exit. I do believe that it would be extremely unlikely for a child to exit the club with an adult who is not authorized or even alone because they make every kid scan their bracelet to make sure they have sign in/out privs if there is not an adult there checking them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter