A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dreams 161

We try to visit the Grand once a year and we just got back yesterday and we were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be,we missed the grill being closed and the walls around the pool didn't look that bad we just made the best of it the cast members made us feel at home as usual.We just kept saying the next time we go it will all be done and I am sure it will be beautiful.Have a Grand time:yay:

I am just returned home from a week's stay at the Grand. I was a huge advocate for this resort and have loved past stays, but I was let down this trip. We were assigned to Conch Key with two guestrooms on the ground floor immediately adjacent to the elevator, right off the common area. After suffering a few nights I relented and went to the front desk at midnight to request a room change. The elevator motor room was directly behind my headboard and I would listen to the motor and the ding dong of the elevator all night long. It was insufferable. Plus, the teenagers who congregated in the common area directly outside our door until 2AM did not help. Then there was the parking area for the little delivery carts that was right outside our patio. It was awful. If you get assigned this room --- DON"T TAKE IT!

We were then moved to the third floor at a room down the hallway, which was much quieter. It would have been better, except for the fact that there was NO HOT WATER for three of our days!!! I spoke to a manager and politely told her my concerns that that this should have been fixed after the first occurrence, not left to repeat and repeat. She told me that the building-wide boiler for all of Conch Key is very old and the air compressor is broken. It is a big fix and a permanent solution will take "quite a while." Maintenance tried to fashion a temporary fix, but let me tell you, you cannot rely on this. If you get assigned to Conch Key, ask for a reassignment, unless you like cold showers.

Next time, Boardwalk.

Hi jojomickey!! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and thanks for the encouraging feedback. It is our favorite resort too and I bet the magic will outweigh any difficulties- and just think we'll be able to look back after renovations are beautifully complete and say "remember when?!!" :)

Sorry this happened to you we were in Boca Chica had no problem,I'm surprised they didn't offer you a credit of some kind

runskimom said:
I am just returned home from a week's stay at the Grand. I was a huge advocate for this resort and have loved past stays, but I was let down this trip. We were assigned to Conch Key with two guestrooms on the ground floor immediately adjacent to the elevator, right off the common area. After suffering a few nights I relented and went to the front desk at midnight to request a room change. The elevator motor room was directly behind my headboard and I would listen to the motor and the ding dong of the elevator all night long. It was insufferable. Plus, the teenagers who congregated in the common area directly outside our door until 2AM did not help. Then there was the parking area for the little delivery carts that was right outside our patio. It was awful. If you get assigned this room --- DON"T TAKE IT!

We were then moved to the third floor at a room down the hallway, which was much quieter. It would have been better, except for the fact that there was NO HOT WATER for three of our days!!! I spoke to a manager and politely told her my concerns that that this should have been fixed after the first occurrence, not left to repeat and repeat. She told me that the building-wide boiler for all of Conch Key is very old and the air compressor is broken. It is a big fix and a permanent solution will take "quite a while." Maintenance tried to fashion a temporary fix, but let me tell you, you cannot rely on this. If you get assigned to Conch Key, ask for a reassignment, unless you like cold showers.

Next time, Boardwalk.

What a bummer! So sorry to hear this. We were in Conch Key, 4th floor a few weeks ago and our room was fine. We had a great view of marina and monorails, and if we craned our necks over the balcony we could see the castle. We were disappointed with the lack of quick service options due to the construction.

We stayed several years ago at the GF but it was in a suite in Sugar Loaf. That was nice, but I had always wanted to stay in the Main Bldg, and was excited to stay there last week.

I was disappointed in the concierge staff. I found them to be lazy, and not the friendliest. It was very clear to see who loved to sit all day behind the desk and not really do much- it seemed when I asked about something, I was bothering them. I have had other concierge CMs at other resorts really try and go the extra mile to take care of what we needed, but that didn't happen at RPC.

They also missed our celebration. I mentioned that my celebration wasn't even acknowledged and the CM got defensive and said she'd have to check and investigate- I told her to do that because I had called 2 weeks prior to make sure our TPV room was ok due to the construction and at that time, I specificially mentioned the celebration. I am not a confrontational person, and I wasn't snarky..in fact I was very tired and it was late as my DD and I were headed downstairs to buy a large bottle of Dasani water so we were waiting on the elevator. I will say that when we returned, there was one huge celebration on our one bed. However I found it sad in order for it to be acknowledged that I had to mention it.

Yesterday morning was our checkout day. We had our folio of charges in one envelope and then an ME tag, but we never use ME...when I peeked at the ME envelope, it was our room number but another families itinerary and info! I had my DH take it right back down to the concierge desk and the CM just could not comprehend that we were NOT that family who needed ME. DUH! She said she would have to investigate it.

As for the construction, it didn't bother us. The new kiddie pool that is Mad Hatter themed is absolutely da bomb! Very cool theming!

Although we had a rental car, our family split up one day and my DD13 and I park hopped..we had no trouble getting between parks but getting back from DHS to the GF one afternoon took 45min as I timed it..I find that ridiculous. At some point, I feel that each monorail resort should have its very own bus, as the transportation has grown increasingly more congested with the DVC addition, and I cannot imagine what the GF DVC will add to it.

I also have another issue in the Main Bldg and that was elevator that concierge guests need to use- too many regular guests using it to get from the lobby floor to the 2nd floor. That elevator was so slow, it wasn't funny.

Our room was ok, but it definitely showed its wear. Mousekeeping was ok, not the worst, but not the best.

I can say after this trip that if anyone asked me where to stay on property, I would suggest the Boardwalk.

I really wanted to love the GF RPC...but I just do not...I don't hate it though, and like I said, our stay wasn't bad. Maybe if they rehab the rooms in a few years and update things, we will give it another try.

i just recieved my mail today that we had held with the post office while we were away last week at the GF,in it was a letter about our upcoming stay a little late in sending it but anyway it said the pool will be opening in spring 2013 if this helps anyone so what the cast member told me when I was there was right I guess because you do hear different things from different cast members.

Well, I am very glad that I got on this thread and let you GF lovers help me make up my mind not to switch resorts to the Poly due to the construction. We just got back from a wonderful week stay. We had none of the issues of the previous year, except for the slow bus service and sharing of buses.

ME was a bit slow because we, as last year, were the 4th stop (WL, Contemporary, Poly, and then GF).

When we got there, we got some major pixie dust! We were upgraded from garden view to theme park view! It was fantastic! I was absolutely thrilled! Apparently, we were set to get a not so lovely view of construction in a not so great room, and the absolutely wonderful CM decided that we shouldn't have to look at that for a week, and got us fixed up. Best room I have ever had at Disney, I loved the view. We could see the castle, train station, Space Mountain, Contemporary, Poly and the tips of the Wilderness Lodge all from our window and patio and watch the boats go by. So glad I didn't change! LOVED IT! I could have sat on that patio all day and been perfectly happy.

We also did not have the issues we had in the room last year, so it must have been a fluke. Last year the mattress was so uncomfortable and hard as a rock that I barely slept for an entire week, and my back hurt (which isn't normal for me as I don't have back issues). This year the mattress and pillows were wonderful, so we must have just gotten a bad mattress/room last year. I slept fantastic the whole week, and was missing my GF bed and pillow last night when we got home from our trip. DD and I have sensitive skin and last year the backs of our legs and arms would be broken out/rashy where they touched the bed every morning, it would take until about noon for it to clear up, and then the next morning it would be that way again which has never happened at a Disney resort. We figured it was the laundry detergent the GF was using. If it was, they must have switched detergents because it did not happen, and everything was perfect. Really, the only reason I booked GF again after the room issues last year was that DD begged because she loves it there at Christmas and thinks it is Cinderella's hotel and the lobby is so gorgeous at Christmas. I figured I would just deal with it like the year before, and I was thrilled that I didn't have to this year because things were perfect! The only issue I have is that they have started spraying the same scent as they use in the Beach Club into the lobby/common area of the outer buildings which I am very allergic to, so I would have coughing fits going in and out of the building. I guess they use it in the main lobby too when they don't have the Christmas smells going like they have right now. So, if you have allergies like I do, that might be a concern in staying there.

As far as the construction, I don't know what they are currently doing in the pool area or GG because we did not hear or see a thing the entire week we were there. The walls aren't that bad because they keep the greenery and bushes very nice around them. They are still doing movies on the lawn by the pool for the kids even with the construction. When we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel during their remodel, the construction was much more noticable than at GF. Now, the construction of the GF villas is pretty unsightly as it is basically a bare bones steel structure right now, and you can see them working on it all the time. All in all, the construction didn't bother us at all. Now, if the Christmas season is over so you don't get the beautiful decorations and you are a big swimmer, it might be an issue for you not to have the main pool.

The bus service to DHS and AK was a pain in the mornings, and if you came back at a busy time. GF still shares with the Contemporary and the Poly. GF is testing a board that shows you when the next bus is scheduled to arrive which goes by GPS. They have had it a month or two according to the CMs we talked to. The problem is that once it was correct when we walked up, but other than that, you sit there and watch it change times, so it really isn't much help. On both our AK and DHS mornings, we got there and the bus was showing it would be there within 5 minutes, and both times we watched the time get farther and farther away until it was 20 or 25 minutes past its original time. The CM advised us that the problem is that with resort bus sharing and it running by GPS that the times change as circumstances change, so that every time they have to load or unload a wheelchair or ECV it can really throw off and delay the times.

GG being closed was a pain. If you are breakfast CS eaters like we are, your options are severely limited. There are definitely no mickey waffles, pancakes or sausage. The first morning, DD (6) got a box with a blueberry muffin (kid sized), yogurt, and grapes, but she complained that the blueberry muffin was dry and the yogurt tasted funny. After that her breakfast for the entire week consisted of a plastic thing of fruit loops and orange juice, as they really didn't have anything she would eat with GG closed. I had a blueberry muffin the next day, and I have to agree it was really dry. I'm not sure it was fresh. They did have some really good packaged fruit though. It also was a pain not having a 24 hour CS which is one of the big benefits of GF in our opinion. Hopefully GG will be open again soon for upcoming visitors. Although GG being closed was a bit of an annoyance, it was more than made up for by the beautiful lobby, our room view and comfort, and all the great service by great CMs throughout our stay. I did not want to leave!

Thanks everyone for all your tips and help!

i just recieved my mail today that we had held with the post office while we were away last week at the GF,in it was a letter about our upcoming stay a little late in sending it but anyway it said the pool will be opening in spring 2013 if this helps anyone so what the cast member told me when I was there was right I guess because you do hear different things from different cast members.

We got our letter warning us of the construction after we got back too. Definitely a little late! We did get one a couple of months ago too though.

I have a question or two regarding the GF. I am looking at booking for the beginning of November 2013. We have never stayed at the GF. We have stayed at the BWI, BWDVC, the Poly and the Dolphin. Expanding our horizons.

Does anyone know if the construction of the DVC will be done by November of 2013? If construction of the DVC isn't completed by then, what buildings, views, etc should I avoid booking? Are the owners/guest of the DVC at GF allowed to use to the pools and other facilities at the hotel portion or will they have their own pool and facilities? If they have there own pool and they can use the GF pools, could we as guest of the GF use the DVC pool?

Just questions. I contacted the DVC rep on line last night but who ever it was was as useless as, well, you get it. The comment was made that no info can be given out until they start selling. The only thing I asked was when will the construction be done.

I have a question or two regarding the GF. I am looking at booking for the beginning of November 2013. We have never stayed at the GF. We have stayed at the BWI, BWDVC, the Poly and the Dolphin. Expanding our horizons.

Does anyone know if the construction of the DVC will be done by November of 2013? If construction of the DVC isn't completed by then, what buildings, views, etc should I avoid booking? Are the owners/guest of the DVC at GF allowed to use to the pools and other facilities at the hotel portion or will they have their own pool and facilities? If they have there own pool and they can use the GF pools, could we as guest of the GF use the DVC pool?

Just questions. I contacted the DVC rep on line last night but who ever it was was as useless as, well, you get it. The comment was made that no info can be given out until they start selling. The only thing I asked was when will the construction be done.

From what I've seen, there will be no new facilities at the villas, only enhancements to the existing resort. So no worries about a DVC pool.

Last I heard, the villas should be opening Fall 2013. I would be willing to bet they will be completed before November.

From what I've seen, there will be no new facilities at the villas, only enhancements to the existing resort. So no worries about a DVC pool.

Which probably means the slide pool will be way overcrowded.

And then by making the courtyard pool shallower there will be no place for the bigger ones (bigger kids and adults) to find their own space in the pool.
I am not happy about this.:mad:

Which probably means the slide pool will be way overcrowded.

And then by making the courtyard pool shallower there will be no place for the bigger ones (bigger kids and adults) to find their own space in the pool.
I am not happy about this.:mad:

Agree and agree. As k&a&c'smom already knows, I wish wish wish they would add a quiet pool beside the villas. I really think its needed. Heck, add one between Sago Cay and the Conference Center even. ::yes::

They should add a quiet pool. The one at the BWI is nice. Whenever I have stayed at the BWI, hardly anyone is at that pool. Granted, there is no bar service but who cares.

I think all of the DVC properties such as the BWI were designed as a timeshare and a hotel. The amenities reflect the total number of occupants. That said, by adding a DVC at standing resorts such as the Contemporary or the Grand Floridian and not adding amenities, you will make for some upset folks. The one's who forked out alot of points or the one's who forked out alot of cash to stay at the deluxe resorts. Think about dropping $400, $500 $600 plus a night at the GF and you can't find a seat by the pool. I know not everyone uses the pool at the same time but by adding 147 rooms and up to what, 8 occupants per room, you could find alot of congestion.

Here now. Checked in this morning and room in Sugar Loaf was ready at 11AM We loved the personal attention at check in and it certainly was a breeze. Construction is truly not an issue for us, for which I am grateful. The fences are tastefully done and while we do miss the courtyard pool, there are so many other things to do.
The food in the lounge is adequate and appropriate, the temperature is perfect for us 'northern' folks, and while it does seem a bit more 'crowded' for this time of year, we feel very happy on this first day. The only 'complaint' are the obnoxious neighbors in the room next door who are allowing their children to scream and what sounds like jumping from bed to bed, keeping myself and dh awake. A polite knock on the wall was heard by children and adults, but apparently not understood. I certainly understand having excited children, we have two, but not at 11:25 PM! LOL Perhaps this is their first night, and tomorrow will be better. :) We are happy to answer any questions folks have - we are hear until Sunday, then on to the Yacht Club for our first split stay.

Can anyone tell me if the rooms come with DVD players or if we are able to request a DVD player in our room? Is there a charge to have one? My cousin and I are going to watch a couple of our favorite classic Disney movies at night before bed (which is what we always did as kids... And still do now sometimes when we visit each other!). I am collecting the blu-rays as they come out of the vault that come with the regular DVD and digital copy. So I could load them up on my iPad but would prefer to watch on a slightly bigger screen :) TIA!

Can anyone tell me if the rooms come with DVD players or if we are able to request a DVD player in our room? Is there a charge to have one? My cousin and I are going to watch a couple of our favorite classic Disney movies at night before bed (which is what we always did as kids... And still do now sometimes when we visit each other!). I am collecting the blu-rays as they come out of the vault that come with the regular DVD and digital copy. So I could load them up on my iPad but would prefer to watch on a slightly bigger screen :) TIA!

You should be able to connect your iPad to the screen by using an Apple adapter if they don't do DVD players.

Thanks! I don't have the adapter, so I will just request one. If they can't accommodate, it won't be a big deal.

I actually have another, more pressing question. I just did our online check-in and requested Sago Cay (we are booked in a regular GV room) but the online thing said that it could not accommodate our request! Has this happened to anyone? It makes me really nervous. What would you suggest I do - call the reservations line and try to speak with someone? I really don't want to be looking at construction and SC is a perfect building for us location-wise... Please help!

Thanks! I don't have the adapter, so I will just request one. If they can't accommodate, it won't be a big deal.

I actually have another, more pressing question. I just did our online check-in and requested Sago Cay (we are booked in a regular GV room) but the online thing said that it could not accommodate our request! Has this happened to anyone? It makes me really nervous. What would you suggest I do - call the reservations line and try to speak with someone? I really don't want to be looking at construction and SC is a perfect building for us location-wise... Please help!

As you are finding out, during online check-in is not the time to make any room requests. It is always best to call the Central Reservations line and have your requests added to your reservation.

Hi VS85,

We just got back last Saturday and I didn't do online checkin for that reason I wanted to speak to a cast member in person at check in.Check in was quick and smooth and at first they tried to give me a room on the construction side and I very nicely said do you have anything else I booked 2 rooms adjoining laggon view.They said ok we will check and then they put us in the Boca Chica building facing the contemporary and the Magic kingdom.If you are not happy with your room that they give you even if they tell you they have no other rooms take the room and tell your bellman one year our bellman changed our room for us .Good luck even though people are not wanting construction view I think they still have plenty of empty rooms with no construction view because people are not staying there until the work is finished.:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter