A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks jojo and DansDad... I'll give the res line a call today and see what they say.

Here now. Checked in this morning and room in Sugar Loaf was ready at 11AM We loved the personal attention at check in and it certainly was a breeze. Construction is truly not an issue for us, for which I am grateful. The fences are tastefully done and while we do miss the courtyard pool, there are so many other things to do.
The food in the lounge is adequate and appropriate, the temperature is perfect for us 'northern' folks, and while it does seem a bit more 'crowded' for this time of year, we feel very happy on this first day. The only 'complaint' are the obnoxious neighbors in the room next door who are allowing their children to scream and what sounds like jumping from bed to bed, keeping myself and dh awake. A polite knock on the wall was heard by children and adults, but apparently not understood. I certainly understand having excited children, we have two, but not at 11:25 PM! LOL Perhaps this is their first night, and tomorrow will be better. :) We are happy to answer any questions folks have - we are hear until Sunday, then on to the Yacht Club for our first split stay.

Hope you're having a Grand time! We're coming in next weekend for the week. Is there any update on when Gasparilla Grill and Games will reopen? Thanks!

Hi Tamj,
We wished it was opened when we were there last week it didn't seem that they were working on it much.We peeked inside and it looked like they had just painted it.I hope for you it is done on time.You never know though now that the pool was pushed back to spring!!!!!!

Hi Tamj,
We wished it was opened when we were there last week it didn't seem that they were working on it much.We peeked inside and it looked like they had just painted it.I hope for you it is done on time.You never know though now that the pool was pushed back to spring!!!!!!

Ugh. This is not good news. If the pool is going to still be walled off AND GG isn't going to be open, then I'm going to switch my reservation to AKL. I thought I was going to be able to avoid all of this by waiting until late December :headache:

Hi, johnsonet. Good to see you. :wave2:

I actually hoped painting was a good sign. Isn't that the last thing that is done with a refurb??? Other than stocking the shelves, turning on the grills, etc.., of course. I would think they wouldn't take a chance of construction equipment hitting freshly pained walls.

At any rate, hope your trip works out. :grouphug:

Hi, johnsonet. Good to see you. :wave2:

I actually hoped painting was a good sign. Isn't that the last thing that is done with a refurb??? Other than stocking the shelves, turning on the grills, etc.., of course. I would think they wouldn't take a chance of construction equipment hitting freshly pained walls.

At any rate, hope your trip works out. :grouphug:

I hope painting is a great sign too! It will be SUCH a blessing to have that available for my boys. It means hubby and I could grab a few minutes a lone-or more depending on how much $$ we give the boys for the arcade and food. :thumbsup2

Ugh. This is not good news. If the pool is going to still be walled off AND GG isn't going to be open, then I'm going to switch my reservation to AKL. I thought I was going to be able to avoid all of this by waiting until late December :headache:

For sure the pool will still be closed, but the slide pool and the new splash area is open. I've heard really good things about the splash/play area. AND, we've been told the GG will be open by the end of Dec. I'm just selfishly hoping and praying it will be NEXT week vs the following.

Hi Tamj,

Thanks. I hope it's coming along quickly now after the paint has gone up. What were the other food options like? My concern is having to leave the resort to find quick service for my boys and us...and mug refills (especially coffee). :eek:

The pool bar was actually very good but not a lot of choices,we stopped there a few times before going back the room they we open until 11 and there you could refill your mugs too

Hope so, BCV23 ::yes:: But jojo's post didn't make it sound as though there was much work going on.

I've got a couple more weeks left - I'll be counting on Diser updates :surfweb:

Thanks about the other info, tamj. I got a letter about the pool closure, so that I was already disappointed over (not b/c I care about swimming but just in terms of ambiance). Anyway, one way or another everything will work out :wizard:

Hope so, BCV23 ::yes:: But jojo's post didn't make it sound as though there was much work going on.

I reread jojo's post and see what you mean. Quiet in the same manner as the pool refurbishment???? :sad2: Sure hope not. I took it as a good sign that no more major work was happening and painting was finished. Fingers crossed it is open for you and tamj as well as everyone else going for the holidays.

Thanks! I don't have the adapter, so I will just request one. If they can't accommodate, it won't be a big deal.

I actually have another, more pressing question. I just did our online check-in and requested Sago Cay (we are booked in a regular GV room) but the online thing said that it could not accommodate our request! Has this happened to anyone? It makes me really nervous. What would you suggest I do - call the reservations line and try to speak with someone? I really don't want to be looking at construction and SC is a perfect building for us location-wise... Please help!

Same thing happened to me when I did online check in and wanted Sago Cay. I called and had the request added and was given a perfect room looking out over a finger of water w/ the monorail behind it in Sago Cay when I arrived 11/27.

Pool construction doesn't bother me since I changed to theme park view. I would mind it if I had to see it from the room but walking by doesn't bother me. My five year old loved the new Alice in Wonderland themed play area. The pool bar and Mizners can refill mugs and you can get breakfast items at Mizners.

I am glad I changed to TPV. Also was able to book bounce back for next year :)

Here now until 12/16. I just called 8844 from the room. No flyer yet but the dates are as the first poster listed. I went ahead and booked ASAP since I really wanted GF TPV again.

Greetings,
I just booked the GF for next year. Sorry folks, no discount. I booked what they are calling a "Garden View" room. It will only be two of us. I also requested a King Bed.

So, with that said, I did not make a request for a certain building or room because we have never stayed at the GF. I was wondering, can you folks familiar with the GF offer your suggestions for a specific room and or building that would qualify for the "Garden View" with a King Bed? I would like to call back with a specific request. Let's assume there will be no construction going on at the time. We are looking at later in the year for our trip.

Thanks

I believe most of the rooms that are garden view are in The Big Pine Key and I think anything in the other buildings that would be facing the pool. Some in the conch key and Boca Chica. If I were to book a Garden view room I think I would like the Big Pine Key. Happy planning!!!!!!

When were you there? We didn't see a bounceback offer in our room !!!

The room discount bounceback's first day was December 2. I called December 1, and they told me the current offer (for about a 2 week period in a certain month), was expiring that day and to call the next morning because something new might show up. The next morning, they had the room discount bounceback with all the dates for the next year, so we were able to book a bounceback. We checked out that day, so there were not any cards in the rooms yet. I don't know when the cards were put in the rooms, or if they are even there yet.

I will say that we have bounced back for several years and the dates seemed to be more restrictive for 2013, and also they no longer apply the bounceback to your full stay as long as you check in on a bounceback date. If the bounceback is only good the first 3 days of your stay, you only get the discount those 3 days. It seemed like there were a lot of times the bounceback cut off in the middle of the week in the times we were checking.

Thanks, we checked out on dec 1 so I guess we missed out!!!!! We will have to wait and see what kind of specials they come out with for 2013 I need two rooms. That is great for you.

Hi everyone!! We are here now until Monday and had a rough start...first night we all caught a stomach bug and stayed in the room all night! Not feeling 100% yet but much better.

We had a fire alarm test yesterday around 3pm, only problem was club level staff never informed us it was a test (even though we were out in the lounge and at their desk around 230). We all were sleeping, after being up all night, and started to leave when our kind neighbors came and told us the staff told them it was a test!

We have TPV so construction views don't bother us. Heard a little bit of noise in the afternoon, but nothing major.

We haven't gotten a bounce back flyer yet, but we book AP rates so I'm not really looking.

So far we are loving RPC...the offerings are triple what the BC offered! And the monorail is a big plus with kids in strollers.

Let me know if anyone wants me to find out anything!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter