A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by k&a&c'smom, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trishadono

trishadono DIS Veteran

[​IMG]

Not the best views but room was ready at7:30am:thumbsup2

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. trishadono

trishadono DIS Veteran

Pool side was good we just had a tree blocking it. Turned out fine because more private and could see around tree. There are 4 floors in SL and we were on 3. Top floors do have dormers if that matters to you.

More info on first page of thread if needed.

4. Mousemommy1

Mousemommy1 DIS Veteran

Isn't there something wierd about the dormer rooms? Something that people don't like?

I think I'd like a view of the pool. :goodvibes

5. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

Hi Blue :). I did have a good weekend, thanks :goodvibes......it just went too fast.....LOL.

You have done a great job with this thread :thumbsup2. Hope you had a nice time out of town.

Beautiful view.....Boca Chica is a great location ::yes::. Glad you got your requests. The GF is such a beautiful resort....hope you're having a great time :wizard:.

6. trishadono

trishadono DIS Veteran

Fellow RC-er SueM says the balcony is a solid wall so if sitting can't see well vs other balconies.

Rooms are smaller but higher ceilings.

If look at pics on first page you can see the front of SL building and tree in front of my room. The rest if the views look to be great.

I want marina side due to dh loving boats:love:

You have a year to do research so enjoy. Remind me later and I can check for you in January if any unanswered q's come up:thumbsup2

:banana::yay::woohoo:
    Congrats on choice.

7. JanaDee

JanaDee DIS Veteran

I just booked an outer building, lagoon view for part of our stay. Can anyone give me an idea of where those rooms are located?

Thanks! :)

8. Tink rules

Tink rules <font color=teal>The kids in my family sometimes t

This is the balcony on the dormer rooms (borrowed from Allears...)

They are higher balconies, built into the roofs of the Grand... but they also have higher chairs on the balconies... still you get a limited view. I love the dormers because it's usually just me... a nice size and I'm ok with the balconies...

[​IMG]

9. JenniD44

JenniD44 Mouseketeer

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question from last week. We went to the beach for a few days. We actually ended up leaving sooner than we planned because the weather wasn't very good. We'll put our savings toward our Disney trip!:)

Yes the savings are pretty substantial which is why we made the switch.

Thanks for your thoughts. We have been planning this trip for quite a while. Originally, I was going to go over this past spring break. DH and DS were worried about the crowds and the timing just was bad for us, so around January I switched to Thanksgiving week. Then I switched to the week after Thanksgiving since that's when we have gone before and the crowds weren't bad. We also got free dining that week a couple of times. When the discounts came out, our TA tried for a RO discount for the CL room we had, but it wasn't available. Since the FD was a bigger savings and I had started to worry about the kids missing a whole week of school, we switched back to Thanksgiving week with FD, but no CL. More info than is necessary, just to say that the only discount we were able to get was FD (although initially we could have changed room catagory with RO discount the first week of Dec, but my school worries were too much and now that's not an option.)

Before the discounts were released, I was planning on doing just what you said. Using the CL for supplementing our meals and doing meal sharing at restaurants. It's just hard to pay rack rate, when discounts were available so I felt we needed to do it. I do keep checking to see if CL opens up, so we'll see what happens. I do have some great dining reservations, so at least we will eat well with the FD.;)

Maybe I'll see about doing garden view since both you and k&a&c'smom think it's better than lagoon view. My TA just grabbed the lagoon view and I didn't really think about the other.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try to request that, but since I just have lagoon view I don't know that I'd get it.

I agree with the DDP not being a very good deal anymore. The first time we got it years ago, I think you got an appetizer as well as dessert (too much food, but nice to sample things) and the tip was included, plus it cost less. Then it was a deal. If the FD weren't the only discount we could get, I would not pay for DDP.

10. k&a&c'smom

k&a&c'smom DIS Veteran

Beautiful photo, thanks! Glad you got your request, have a magical stay.pixiedust:

Interesting about the splash zone. I wonder if they are closing due to needing a lifeguard? When we were there in April, I noticed a lifeguard patroling there, wondering if they aren't scheduling enough and have to wait for one to be available?:scratchin

Congrats! I think your girls will love the Grand.:cloud9:

When I book SL, my requests are "upper floor, non-dormer, non-connecting room". We get 2 out of 3, usually.:teeth: Upper floor, overlooking pool shouldn't be too hard to acquire.

Yes, there are elevators in all GF buildings.

We've had a tree blocking the balcony both times we were placed on the pool side of SL. Like you, we first were disappointed but ended up liking it for the privacy.:thumbsup2

As trishadono posted, the dormer rooms have enclosed balconies, rather than open. The rooms are slightly smaller, many without daybeds. The vaulted ceiling makes the room feel bigger, though, so many people like it for that reason. There are some BPK dormer room photos in this link, posted by gilsan - scroll down to post #669.

Thanks, very sweet of you.:hug: Yes, I did have a nice time, went to visit my sister in STL.:)

Congrats!:goodvibes There are lagoon views in Big Pine Key and Boca Chica for sure, there used to be lagoon views in Conch Key and Sago Cay as well - they may still have them, I haven't heard for sure. When they split the lagoon view rooms to "lagoon" and "theme park" views, it was unclear how many lagoon views were left in each building.

Clear as mud, right?!:laughing:

11. k&a&c'smom

k&a&c'smom DIS Veteran

Hey, everyone, we have reached the dreaded 250 page mark, so please head over to the 2013 FAQ for future posts. I still need to add many more photos, but the majority is finished and ready for DISers.:goodvibes

See ya there!:thumbsup2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.