A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ around 10:30 am after bell services had collected my bags for my move from the GF to the YC I wandered over to the GF cafe for my breakfast ADR. They gave me a nice table by the window next to my table I noticed a cm, a lady and a man w/ a younger man. Odd collection of people I thought and I'd never seen a CM in uniform eating at a restaurant. When they left, and the group walked by my table I thought that lady looks just like Whoopie Goldberg. I just learned she's doing tonight and tomorrow's CP narration. Omg I guess it was her. And thus ends my wonderful interlude @ the GF hope all of you visiting in the near future enjoy your stay as much as I did mine.

We mailed ourselves a package, but it was kind of a pain since we had to go to the business center ourselves to pick it up. Plus, it cost $10 to retrieve it.

Thank you. I was bummed hearing this, so I actually called to confirm. (a surprise I ordered for the trip was misplaced and in order to have it on time, the seller is reshipping to the GF) Anyway, I was told by concierge that if the package is shipped USPS it goes to the back office and not the shipping center. UPS, Fed Ex go to the shipping center and there is a fee there. So.... for us it's USPS. They will bring it to our room when it arrives too with no fee.

I don't know what in "The World" :rotfl2: happened because we were told several times that it would be opening the weekend of the 16th prior to our decision to book. Yes, the letter said it was due to open "Spring 2013."

I wonder why you guys didn't also get a letter? I have no idea abot what to do about heading. From other posts, noise hasn't seemed to be an issue, but I'd hate to lay out all this money to stare at the construction. Hope it goes well for you both. We're going to head out on the 15th. I'm really excited and going to make this "GRAND" in the grandest ways I can.

Three big things come together for us this trip: My oldest will be graduating high school and turning 18 this spring-this trip is per his request; I don't think I'll be hearing this from him in the upcoming future:sad:, my youngest (and only other) celebrates his 9th b'day and we've been promising him to try to get him to Disney for it, and our 25th anniversary is the 18th, too. So, To the Grand it is! I'll be sure to take a lot of photos and post them when we get there. 20 Days!

Know that I think about it, we made our reservations specifically around the opening dates they gave us, (when we called to book it we talked to someone on site due to some problems last Dec), for both the pool and GG. I think that might be why we got a letter.

I know someone mentioned they spoke to a manager. I called and was told I could not speak to a manger until I was onsite (doesn't seem right) Anyway I was hoping to resolve my room/building issue asap. I never received any letters about the construction and now have concerns like I mentioned about the noise level for my husband. The front desk suggested I wait until I checked in to resolve the issue- I would much rather do so now. Any guidance - I don't want to be a pain - it's just this is a ton of money and I'd like a bit more resolution.

Dreams, when are you going to be there?

I would be REALLY REALLY mad if I planned a stay and was told at the last minute that the construction sched. slipped 3 months with no option to be moved on disney's dime. My wife and I had dinner there in September and I remember us saying to one another how can they charge people top dollar to stay there with construction walls everywhere between the huge pool and the Dvc wing.

Oh wow... I am in complete shock of the pool delays..... I would be mad too if I paid that much thinking the Courtyard pool would be open. At least DVC walls are not right in the center of the resort but the Courtyard pool... That would definitely take away from the ambience of the resort...

We will be going in August to GF.. Hopefully they don't screw up again!

We are arriving January 2. I am very upset about how they have still not officially updated the website or informed guests like me who are arriving in early January.

I would also like them to clarify whether or not Gasparilla's will be open since the food options without it are going to be limited. If we had known about the reality, we would not have stayed there.

We are arriving January 2. I am very upset about how they have still not officially updated the website or informed guests like me who are arriving in early January.

I would also like them to clarify whether or not Gasparilla's will be open since the food options without it are going to be limited. If we had known about the reality, we would not have stayed there.

You still have time to see if there is availability elsewhere since you don't think you'll be happy at GF...why don't you just call and check? :confused3

Any recent photos of the pool construction area? We'll be there in a few weeks. I don't think we will change as we've never stayed here before and have been looking forward to it. A lot of our restaurant plans revolve around the GF as well - Christmas Eve at Citricos and V&A later in the week for my dw and me.

Mousemommy1 said:
You still have time to see if there is availability elsewhere since you don't think you'll be happy at GF...why don't you just call and check? :confused3

I have been trying.

1/2 and 1/3 are booked fairly solid, to the point that many resorts have nothing at all. The Poly had a GV available, but we had a bad experience there a couple of years ago, and we did not want to return. We have an AP rate for our nights. And since we are 5, WL and AKL are out. They do have rooms at the AP rate there, but we would have to get 2 rooms which would make them much more expensive. It bothers me because when I booked the AP rate several weeks ago, we had lots of options but the options are quite limited now for our dates. When we booked, I was told the pool would be done. Had i known about the pool, I would have considered the situation differently. I still have not received a letter either even though we are arriving in less than a month.

I sent an email to Disney because I too was not a happy camper. We had a trip scheduled for October that we had to cancel and purposely scheduled this one around the pool rehab. Any how the phone call I got said they are anticipating that the pool will only be closed through the first week of Feb, we arrive Feb 20. But I know with Disney 20 people can call and you can get 20 different answers :). What are people there now being told for an opening date?? I was extremely bummed as my girls spend A LOT of time in the pool so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that hopefully this person is right and not switching resorts, yet.

Hey guys, quick question - how often do the buses run from GF to the other resorts and parks? Is there a schedule or do they run in intervals, like every 10 mins or every half-hour? Are the first buses in the mornings usually busy? This will help me a lot with planning... Thanks for any help!

Hi, we just got home yesterday and one of the cast members told me that it could be early spring they were working on it though, good luck! They seem to be changing things everyday

Hi VS85, we just got home yesterday and because the parks close early we caught a cab to some parks because we waited one day 25 minutes to go to Hollywood Studios just found it to be easier if you are arriving to the parks mid morning it seems after breakfast the buses were backed up a bit! We watched 4 buses arrive going to animal kingdom and none to hollywood studios they kept moving the time up on the screen,so we caught a cab

Jojo,
Did the construction in the pool area bother you, or was it a non issue? We'll be there in a couple wks.

Know that I think about it, we made our reservations specifically around the opening dates they gave us, (when we called to book it we talked to someone on site due to some problems last Dec), for both the pool and GG. I think that might be why we got a letter.

Dreams, when are you going to be there?

** Sorry for the delay ...We arrive Dec 10. I am just hoping all be fine at this point. I did just receive the letter in the mail detailing the delays. Fingers crossed it will be a great stay no matter what :) I admit I am more nervous than excited about our arrival but keeping a positive attitude.

Hi Cousin Orville,

It was not an issue for us because we spend most of our time in the parks and I was really quite surprised it didn,t look as bad as I thought it would be with all the walls around it.We had two rooms in Boca Chica lagoon view and saw the fireworks everynight,we didn't hear any construction at all except when we were leaving to go to the parks. Hope you have a wonderful time:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter