A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all! :wave2: long time, no see! we don't currently have a trip booked and i have a hard time on the boards during times like that, it just makes me long for disney that much more!

i have a question for all of you fellow GF lovers.

i turn 40 at the end of august and we have pretty much decided that we should celebrate my birthday in disney. we have the opportunity to have two nights at any CL resort, complimentary. of course, i know that i will be spending those two nights at the GF RPC! :cool1: however, we will be switching resorts for the remaining 5 nights. we had some issues during our last trip and would like to give them another chance, but to be blunt, i want to hold off giving the GF any more of my money until we see how this next experience goes.

i had planned to spend the rest of the trip at the poly. we stayed there 2 years ago and absolutely loved the resort. i loved the themeing and the location. i also loved watching the fireworks.

should i also be considering any other resorts? in the back of my head i am wondering if we should try BC because we have never been there? but it is my big birthday trip and i want it to be perfect, and if i don't love BC, i might be upset. i do love the MK the most but am ready to spend more time at the other resorts this year.

right now i am not planning on doing CL at another resort because i am *assuming* there could be free dining offered. if free dining is not offered, then we would probably like to do CL (although I read that BC CL is not so great?). and we will be fine with just a standard room.

anyway, my question is, where would you spend the next 5 nights and why? where else should i be considering? i thought that this thread would actually be a great place to ask, since we all have in common that we love the GF, maybe our taste in other resorts is similar, too! :scratchin

Staying at GF for the first time on Friday!!! I've stayed at all the other resorts except GF and AOA!

Question..If we have a 9:15pm ADR at Ohana, how will we get back to GF after our meal if MK closes at 8?? Thanks!!!

Staying at GF for the first time on Friday!!! I've stayed at all the other resorts except GF and AOA!

Question..If we have a 9:15pm ADR at Ohana, how will we get back to GF after our meal if MK closes at 8?? Thanks!!!

i'm sure there are other options, too, but assuming the pathway between the poly and GF is still open, you could walk. it is actually a really lovely walk and not that far.

i'm sure there are other options, too, but assuming the pathway between the poly and GF is still open, you could walk. it is actually a really lovely walk and not that far.

That's what I was thinking too but didn't know if it would be closed because of the construction but maybe someone else can chime in!

TinkerbellLuvr7 said:

The walking pathway between the GF and the Poly should be open even with the construction

hi all! :wave2: long time, no see! we don't currently have a trip booked and i have a hard time on the boards during times like that, it just makes me long for disney that much more!

i turn 40 at the end of august and we have pretty much decided that we should celebrate my birthday in disney. we have the opportunity to have two nights at any CL resort, complimentary. of course, i know that i will be spending those two nights at the GF RPC! :cool1: however, we will be switching resorts for the remaining 5 nights. we had some issues during our last trip and would like to give them another chance, but to be blunt, i want to hold off giving the GF any more of my money until we see how this next experience goes.

i had planned to spend the rest of the trip at the poly. we stayed there 2 years ago and absolutely loved the resort. i loved the themeing and the location. i also loved watching the fireworks.

should i also be considering any other resorts? in the back of my head i am wondering if we should try BC because we have never been there? but it is my big birthday trip and i want it to be perfect, and if i don't love BC, i might be upset. i do love the MK the most but am ready to spend more time at the other resorts this year.

right now i am not planning on doing CL at another resort because i am *assuming* there could be free dining offered. if free dining is not offered, then we would probably like to do CL (although I read that BC CL is not so great?). and we will be fine with just a standard room.

anyway, my question is, where would you spend the next 5 nights and why? where else should i be considering? i thought that this thread would actually be a great place to ask, since we all have in common that we love the GF, maybe our taste in other resorts is similar, too! :scratchin

I have never stayed at GF (my trip is coming up next month and I'm so excited). I have stayed at Poly and BC and love them both!

BC:
1) Amazing pool!!! Hands down it's the best pool on property in my opinion
2) Love walking to Epcot
3) Beautiful, light decor
4) My pick if our kids are with us

Poly
1) Peaceful and beautiful grounds
2) Fireworks from beach are perfect
3) Location, location, location
4) My pick for couples only trip

I would suggest an Epcot resort, like maybe the Boardwalk (took over from the GF as our favorite), or the BC if you're a big pool person. We did my 40th last year at the beach club!! But for that night itself I was happy to go over to the BW and eat at Flying Fish. Enjoy!

I would suggest an Epcot resort, like maybe the Boardwalk (took over from the GF as our favorite), or the BC if you're a big pool person.

I agree with the BoardWalk, we stay there often. I like the smaller size as compared to Y&BC, and enjoy the inn leisure pool, its always very quiet and relaxing.

We love AKL. We have stayed there twice---once in a savannah view room and once CL for DH's birthday. Both times, we had lovely stays. There's nothing like gazing at the animals in the savannah, hanging out in the breath taking lobby or having a fabulous meal at Jiko or Boma. The pool is beautiful as well.

We are hardcore GF fans, but the AKL is our second favorite. We've stated at the Poly twice and the WL once, but the AKL is even better in terms of theming.

omg, you guys are amazing! i knew i asked this in the right place. thank you so much for the replies and by all means keep the opinions coming!

I have never stayed at GF (my trip is coming up next month and I'm so excited). I have stayed at Poly and BC and love them both!

BC:
1) Amazing pool!!! Hands down it's the best pool on property in my opinion
2) Love walking to Epcot
3) Beautiful, light decor
4) My pick if our kids are with us

Poly
1) Peaceful and beautiful grounds
2) Fireworks from beach are perfect
3) Location, location, location
4) My pick for couples only trip

glad to know that both resorts are equally lovable! :love: very helpful to hear from someone who loves both.

I would suggest an Epcot resort, like maybe the Boardwalk (took over from the GF as our favorite), or the BC if you're a big pool person. We did my 40th last year at the beach club!! But for that night itself I was happy to go over to the BW and eat at Flying Fish. Enjoy!

I agree with the BoardWalk, we stay there often. I like the smaller size as compared to Y&BC, and enjoy the inn leisure pool, its always very quiet and relaxing.
thank you so much. all four of us have major clown issues so i don't think we could do boardwalk. :faint: we also vacation every year on the "real" boardwalk in new jersey so different is probably better in this case. psac, glad to hear you spent your 40th at the BC! how cool!

We love AKL. We have stayed there twice---once in a savannah view room and once CL for DH's birthday. Both times, we had lovely stays. There's nothing like gazing at the animals in the savannah, hanging out in the breath taking lobby or having a fabulous meal at Jiko or Boma. The pool is beautiful as well.

We are hardcore GF fans, but the AKL is our second favorite. We've stated at the Poly twice and the WL once, but the AKL is even better in terms of theming.
toody, i think actually where i first saw your posts may have been about AKL, years ago! we loooove AKL. we had a fabulous stay there and definitely want to return. we did not have any problem at all with the transportation. however, after they built kidani, we visited AKL and the transportation seemed to have become a major issue. what was a 3 min ride to (or from?) AK became nearly 20 mins. how have you found the transportation to be since kidani?

thank you all again for your thoughtful replies! you guys are the best!

Hi everyone! I will be a first timer at the GF so i do need some advice from the pros here. My DH has a conference in March and the family is going along for the fun. I need some advice on room locations and views. We would love a lagoon view or even theme park or some fireworks would be awesome. A cast member said they try to put convention people in Sago cay since it is near the conference center. Is this good? I know most views at GF are special but i don't need to be facing a pool since my children are old enough to walk anywhere. Are there any other buildings i may request that might be good? Are some room buildings newly renovated? Sorry for all the questions but any help or pictures would be much appreciated. Oh,and its my DH 60th birthday while we are there.! :)

bethclayton said:
omg, you guys are amazing! i knew i asked this in the right place. thank you so much for the replies and by all means keep the opinions coming!

glad to know that both resorts are equally lovable! :love: very helpful to hear from someone who loves both.

thank you so much. all four of us have major clown issues so i don't think we could do boardwalk. :faint: we also vacation every year on the "real" boardwalk in new jersey so different is probably better in this case. psac, glad to hear you spent your 40th at the BC! how cool!

toody, i think actually where i first saw your posts may have been about AKL, years ago! we loooove AKL. we had a fabulous stay there and definitely want to return. we did not have any problem at all with the transportation. however, after they built kidani, we visited AKL and the transportation seemed to have become a major issue. what was a 3 min ride to (or from?) AK became nearly 20 mins. how have you found the transportation to be since kidani?

thank you all again for your thoughtful replies! you guys are the best!
To be honest, I can't say much about transportation because we always rent a car. I think we took the bus once last time and it was fine.

Sago key is one of my favorite buildings and we also like the Conch key. You will love it there!!! I would ask for TPV or lagoon view :)

Well I'm sad to say that I'm switching resorts. This was going to be my first GF stay and possibly the only one. I was hoping the pool would be done by the time our trip came around. The travel agent site said end of Feb until today now it says April 11 for the pool rehab to be completed. So off to YC but hopefully next year I will make it to GF.

Thanks for this great thread! You have all been so helpful!!!

Just a few questions before we arrive on Friday as first-timers!

1. We plan on doing Valet for the car. When we pay the next day what are some payment options? I've done Valet before but used TIW card for dining so it was free and we tipped the drivers.

2. Since the main pool is closed, is there a hot tub at the other pool location? The weather is supposed to drop this weekend (drop for a Floridian that is).

3. Is the QS Location still 24 hours?

4. We are eating dinner at Narcoossee..what are some good options there?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Tinkerbellluvr7,

I'm not sure about the valet parking,and I would think that the grille is opened 24 hours like before and no their is no hot tub at the other pool:( Hope you have a grand vacation!!!!!!!

Just a few questions before we arrive on Friday as first-timers!

1. We plan on doing Valet for the car. When we pay the next day what are some payment options? I've done Valet before but used TIW card for dining so it was free and we tipped the drivers.

2. Since the main pool is closed, is there a hot tub at the other pool location? The weather is supposed to drop this weekend (drop for a Floridian that is).

3. Is the QS Location still 24 hours?

4. We are eating dinner at Narcoossee..what are some good options there?

Thanks in advance!

When we stayed at the Poly and they were working on their pool area, we were encouraged to walk to the GF for the hot tub. Did the Poly put in a hot tub with that rehab. Haven't stayed there since so I don't know and if that is the case, I'd think that going there would be ok.

Thanks everyone for your building choices. I will request a lagoon view or tpv for sure. Just hoping its possible since it is a conference. Anyone ever taken a conference and been upgraded to lagoon or tpv? Not quite sure i would like a monorail view. Also wonder what they would charge extra if we needed to pay for the upgrade. As i said we are on a conference rate so i don't know what the possibilities are for the request. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter