A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I could remember we got a discount on the bounceback offer for lagoon view I would think they would discount each level garden, lagoon and TPV based on what is available. I would book it and then you could call when the specials rates come out and I think they can change the reservation if it is available. Our travel agent has done this for me several times but I am not an AP holder I cant see why they couldn't do this for you too maybe you could call and ask.:wave2: Happy planning

P.I.G.mommy said:
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I am not seeing the answer in the thread so far.. Which building should I request for a standard garden view room? Thanks :)

We request sago cay, marina view... It is garden view category.

If I could remember we got a discount on the bounceback offer for lagoon view I would think they would discount each level garden, lagoon and TPV based on what is available. I would book it and then you could call when the specials rates come out and I think they can change the reservation if it is available. Our travel agent has done this for me several times but I am not an AP holder I cant see why they couldn't do this for you too maybe you could call and ask.:wave2: Happy planning

I think all categories CAN be discounted - but they all aren't ALWAYS discounted We have gotten concierge (Sugarloaf) with an AP discount at GF a couple of times but have never been able to get the Poly concierge rooms for dates we have been going. BC and YC generally come up but the Contemporary has never. And RPC has never come up for us.

Hi everyone. I just booked a trip for the 3 of us at the Grand Floridian Aug 15-20, 2013. I just got informed from the research I did that they are going under some major construction ;-( Does anyone know how things will look in August? We stayed here before and Love it but i'm afraid now because of the work being done. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

We were just there and it was different and will never be the same with the new DVC but everything turned out to be ok with the construction going on, by the time you go the pool will be finished and the Gasp grill is now open, so just request a room away from the construction it really didn't matter much to us because we are in the parks all day anyway.

Hey, all!

We are home from a wonderful month and a bit in the U.S. Most of that time was spent at WDW and our GF! As we travel so far, we like to spend a bit of time in each place. This time we spent several weeks at WDW! We were booked in a deluxe Club level room and on arrival we found that it was the room we enjoyed on our last trip - 4320. It was a comfortable and relatively quiet room on the third floor of the Main building. It overlooks the courtyard pool, so we could see any progress made in that area. (There wasn't much progress) There was a bit of work done on the DVC site, mainly on the roof. But, we were not disturbed by any construction during our stay. The room was in fairly good order. Engineering was called - by mousekeeping, not by us - to fix a slow-running sink in the bathroom. But, considering the rooms are in line for a renovation in the not too distant future, we were content with our stay.

The RPC staff was so welcoming. In fact, it was like Old Home week as cast members we have known for years offered hugs and good wishes for our stay. Two members of the concierge staff - Janice and Vonnie - went above and beyond in their service to my DM, who was not particularly well at the beginning of our stay. I am grateful to them.

I must add my approval of the new Gasparilla's. The added seating and the fresh decor is welcome and comfortable. We had the added joy of seeing the last minute touches being finished as we stood at the open doors a couple of days before the grand reopening. They have done a fine job. We ate there on one or two occasions, so I can't comment on a lot of the menu. Although, the menu has not changed much from the old. I may be quite wrong here, though. It has been a couple of years since our last visit.

The GF looked wonderfully festive. The tree, the wreaths and garlands, the gardens, the music, Mickey and Minnie in festive attire and, of course, the gingerbread house created a special atmosphere. In fact, the only downside to being at the GF during the festive season is the large, very large number of people who arrive just to admire the scene. It is sometimes difficult to make your way past the house or tree, through the crush to the elevators. But, it is a relatively minor thing when you are surrounded by so much joy. While we are unlikely to visit during the Christmas/New Year again, we are glad to have seen the the GF and the parks decorated and full of so many good things. We are already planning our next trip for next year!

Now, for the pile of laundry...

So glad you had a wonderful time, I agree we are taking a break from the Christmas crowd too but who could blame them the Grand is beautiful at Christmas!

We went the week between Christmas and new Years with my son's hs band...it was super crowded. We had gone as a family at T'giving, so this was actually a we do what we do trip.The crowds were huge, but the kids with some guidance were able to do everything. Now, I would not have wanted it to be my first trip or my only trip, but it was an amazing time :)

We went the week between Christmas and new Years with my son's hs band...it was super crowded. We had gone as a family at T'giving, so this was actually a we do what we do trip.The crowds were huge, but the kids with some guidance were able to do everything. Now, I would not have wanted it to be my first trip or my only trip, but it was an amazing time :)

Yep, the park crowds were enormous. We decided to just take a people watching morning in the Magic Kingdom on Christmas Day. Yikes, as people who are used to May visits, this was something to see. I have rarely seen a crush like Main Street that morning. It was fun, though. New Year's Eve we played two rounds of mini golf at Fantasia Gardens before hopping on a boat bound for Epcot. Yikes again! You could not move in France! I'd hate to think of the crush in the Boulangerie (the old version was still open).

Well, we've got a difficult situation on our hands; we just received a special offer for an amazing airfare to Spain (a place where we've always wanted to go) valid up until June 20, so we're thinking we'll do that in June and do a WDW trip in August. While we're not thrilled about it, that would be our best option though the GF seems to be sold out of standard rooms. What is the chance of an opening?

Well, we've got a difficult situation on our hands; we just received a special offer for an amazing airfare to Spain (a place where we've always wanted to go) valid up until June 20, so we're thinking we'll do that in June and do a WDW trip in August. While we're not thrilled about it, that would be our best option though the GF seems to be sold out of standard rooms. What is the chance of an opening?

I would contact Magical Vacations as they have standard rooms blocked for August exclusive. They have another amazing rate for labor day weekend! I booked with them again this year.
Spain is beautiful - you will have an amazing time

If you have AAA, check to see if there's a discount. You may wind up paying standard price for lagoon view.

We leave next month and I'm starting to get nervous with the courtyard pool closure. I can't remember where but it seems like I read somewhere that all the sand was walled off?? I am hoping that I'm remembering wrong, is there still sand over by the hammocks?? Thanks for your help!

Between the eyesore of the DVC building (so close to the Beach pool and killing the views from the beach), overpopulating the resort area, and reducing the depth of the Courtyard pool, Disney has now killed a great resort. Thanks Disney.

Between the eyesore of the DVC building (so close to the Beach pool and killing the views from the beach), overpopulating the resort area, and reducing the depth of the Courtyard pool, Disney has now killed a great resort. Thanks Disney.

I have to agree....I don't think the DVC villas were necessary...and certainly do block a lot of the view. But that's Disney and any big business...it's all about the $$$. :sad2:

I have to agree....I don't think the DVC villas were necessary...and certainly do block a lot of the view. But that's Disney and any big business...it's all about the $$$. :sad2:

Perhaps once the beach area reopens the DVC building may not have a huge impact on the view-maybe I am wrong.

I agree I like the the new play area too ,but I will miss the beauty of the open beach and the peacefulness that was felt there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter