A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the wonderfully detailed trip report, Luvamouse!! So helpful for future guests. I'm glad you ended up with a great room in the end, DD and I had a similar experience in August and the front desk and room assignor were equally agreeable and worked hard on our behalf.:goodvibes

Thanks for the updates on construction, and your thoughts on the changes in Gasparillas - I'm sure many will find the comparisons to other eateries useful.

I'm sorry to hear your DD has been unwell, such a downer on vacation.:hug: I hope she is completely recovered and the rest of your trip is magical in every way.pixiedust: Can't wait to hear more about it!

Just wanted to check in to say hi to k&a&c'smom and all of the other helpful GF posters on here!

It is so hard to believe that our last stay at the GF was over a year ago and that our next BCV stay is less than 2 weeks away! I am looking forward to paying a visit to the GF and seeing how much the DVC construction has progressed since we were there last. Plus, it will be fun to check out the new kiddy pool and updated Gasparilla! I am sure that we will experience some GF nostalgia, but are looking forward to being back at the BC/YC after a long hiatus!

Hope you all are doing well. :goodvibes

Thanks all for the congratulations! Disney just released a FL resident ticket special that finally falls within our proposed dates (usually, they end beforehand), so looks like we'll be booking today!

Just wanted to check in to say hi to k&a&c'smom and all of the other helpful GF posters on here!

It is so hard to believe that our last stay at the GF was over a year ago and that our next BCV stay is less than 2 weeks away! I am looking forward to paying a visit to the GF and seeing how much the DVC construction has progressed since we were there last. Plus, it will be fun to check out the new kiddy pool and updated Gasparilla! I am sure that we will experience some GF nostalgia, but are looking forward to being back at the BC/YC after a long hiatus!

Hope you all are doing well. :goodvibes

Hey right back atcha!:hug: I've been trying to pop in here more often, I let far too many weeks go by without contributing.:blush:

I'll bet you can't wait for the next two weeks to pass! Love the Y&BC, I know you'll have a wonderful trip.:dance3:

Thanks all for the congratulations! Disney just released a FL resident ticket special that finally falls within our proposed dates (usually, they end beforehand), so looks like we'll be booking today!

FL resident discount on tix?! Woohoo!:cool1::cool1:

To the lady who is there now could you please ask what date they are guessing for the pool. I know they are saying March now but it's going to come right down to the day for us so I am keeping my fingers crossed :). Thanks very very much!!!!

I am sorry to say I have not asked at all since it will be of no help to us. If I happen to remember when I am downstairs, I will ask!

I just LUV a detailed live TR, Luv! Thank you for taking time out of your day to fill us all in. I know we all love a happy ending, so so far, it's looking much better than 1-2-13. Are the crowds really low or are there still many families whose kids are still out of school? School was back in session here in NoVA Tuesday. Is your DD feeling better? Hope everyone else is well.

I felt that every day up until today was busier than I expected. Most of the days were right on what the crowd predictions were though I believe, but it really seemed busy. Today was awesome :cheer2:. I didn't bother my crew too early, so our 8 a.m. HS day turned into a 9:30 entry AK day. (DD12 had 99 temp this a.m., we took it easy.) RFID entry for resort guests at AK was helpful, but most helpful-- no bags! I am the bag lady and to have a bag for only one park entry this week (dd's bag actually!) was so freeing!! lol... We did EE with 5 min single rider wait-- 3 of us still in same train. DH got 10:30 FP for KS and we scooted from EE to the 10:30 Lion King Show, being seated in the back and the show began as we walked down our aisle! Scooted back to KS and then got snacks, shopped, photos, etc. ITTBAB was a 20 minute wait so we passed, preferring to spend the extra time at Epcot.

First time ever driving to Epcot vs monorail. Fast and easy from AK. Arrived 1:30 and the park was so open. MS Green posted 40 minutes. Timed with Line app at 18 minutes to the loading room on the numbered circles. 5 minute wait posted when we exited. Seas with Nemo posted 20, it was all but walk on. Took time to walk to end, waited 2 minutes in reality? Back to the GF around 4 p.m., fairly busy. I figure people were headed to dinner here and there. Busier at 5 p.m. when we left for dinner, but it is Saturday. LOTS of check-ins obvious as we waited for my truck. (I have never valet parked in my life, it was SO worth it here!) DTD via boat from Port Orleans-- highly recommend! Not busy compared to Jan. 1! Raglan Road-- OMG good!-- left there around 9:30 and DTD so crowded. Looked very local to me, judging by clothing, etc. Lots of people from South America, Dominican Rep., etc. judging from languages and actual comments some made re "home". Epcot was 3.2 per UG and I agree wholeheartedly. AK was 6.2, I would say that it was building slowly by the time we left. Single digits coming in on the tram around 12:30- 1:00 p.m. Some areas felt like 7, spots felt like 4.

So my crew all has sore throats, this after the flu a week after Thanksgiving. I am just hoping 2 aren't strep. 1400+ miles to go home Mon/Tues. I cannot say enough good about our mousekeeper! She has been an angel. She changed all the sheets the other day when I asked for only the daybed. She left another towel animal-- a fish-- today. The room smells lovely when done, but so subtle. Extra tea bags as she noticed I am using them, the same with face clothes. She is observant. The little touches here and her stopping this a.m. on her way in to see if DD was better are so warm and genuine. I left her a nice tip this a.m. because I can see all she has done to change her day to accomodate us, as well as thoughtful touches, and I appreciate it. NOT to get off track, but I do not tip housekeeping with rare exception. My room is very expensive and I truly feel that they should pay the employees a good wage for properly cleaning the room. (Do NOT get me started on the tip jars at DD where they are paid to hand me the coffee. Waiters who serve you for a whole meal are completely different, and I tip up to 25% for great service) With extra service like this, I have no problem tipping and will also be sending an email to Guest Services because I feel that is more valuable to her than a tip.

While my family misses the comfort of 4 trips to the Poly, I am amazed daily at the level of service at the GF.

Hi luvamouse

Thanks for your trip reports, I know what you mean about being sick on vacation my son had fever and was sick the night before we left and was sick the whole week basically. He finally felt better when we were going home:(. That's one thing about the Grand Flo the CM are exceptional I have even wrote letters about some of them who have gone out of there way to make things just right! I hope everyone feels better soon :wave2:

@luvamouse, no worries if you don't get a chance. I hope your babies get to feeling better and you have a wonderful vacation :). Take care.

k&a&c'smom said:
Hey right back atcha!:hug: I've been trying to pop in here more often, I let far too many weeks go by without contributing.:blush:

I'll bet you can't wait for the next two weeks to pass! Love the Y&BC, I know you'll have a wonderful trip.:dance3:

No worries! I have been on the DIS for 12 years now and definitely do not have as many posts as most DIS veterans. ;) Life gets busy and it is hard to remember to post on here sometimes-- and there is no problem with taking some intentional DIS breaks too. :)

And you are so right about my being anxious for these next two weeks to pass! I will certainly report back following our trip and thank you for your well wishes!

We are going to be staying for a week at the end of July into August and I'm a little concerned about the DVC, walls up around the Beach pool, and noise.

Can someone recommend what buildings to request to be farthest away from noise and DVC?

Can anyone tell me if the walls are still up around the Beach pool that block the view of the lake?

Do you think most of the construction will be done on the outside of the DVC by the end of July?

Just don't want to spend the kind of money we are putting out to stay at GF and have noise. Might consider changing to Epcot resort if I need to.

Any on-site updates about the main pool? Curious to know if they really started work again and if they are installing lights. I can't believe they forgot something that would have clearly been on their work plan. I have hope and trust they will be finished by March 1st! That's the day we arrive :cool1:

hi abk96

I would request the sago key building or the conch key building lagoon view or TPV because then you would be on the opposite side of the construction. I think most of the outside should be done by then. We were there the end of November and it wasn't that bad:)

hi abk96

I would request the sago key building or the conch key building lagoon view or TPV because then you would be on the opposite side of the construction. I think most of the outside should be done by then. We were there the end of November and it wasn't that bad:)

Great! Thanks for your reply.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I am not seeing the answer in the thread so far.. Which building should I request for a standard garden view room? Thanks :)

:earsboy:I like the sago key building it is away from the construction and some of the garden view rooms look over the boat dock and you get to see the water too!!It's also close to the Gasp grill which is nice. The conch key building is nice too

Do you know if outer building lagoon view rooms come up on the AP discounts? I'm new to being an AP holder, and November will be our first stay on property. How many extra hoops do you have to go through to change to the AP rate after booking at rack?

We were hoping to get a room where we could see the Wedding Pavilion, but I'm not sure if we want to just pay for a lagoon view or book a garden view and hope for some pixie dust.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter