A Disney-addicted mom plans a trip in August, 2010! *New pics #574*

I can't remember what I've posted already and what I haven't! :lmao: It's been a rough week. Monday afternoon my daughter was sent home with a fever. Monday night (at 2am) my older son vomited. Tuesday both kids were home sick. Wednesday afternoon my older son was sent home (again) for exhaustion (no fever or vomiting). My nanny started vomiting on Wednesday. Last night the little one started vomiting (at 3am) and is running crazy fevers all day. I actually had to cancel 1/2 day of patients today (which I never do!) to stay home with Zachary. Poor munchkin! :sad1: And I've had a rough week at work which is another can of worms....

Anyway, we upgraded to APs and enjoyed our TIW card. I changed our August reservation to a room-only and canceled the dining plan. I need to buy the older 2 kids their annual passes when we arrive in August. We'll have a kitchen and we prefer sit-down meals anyway. I don't like "having" to order an entree and dessert. We much prefer appetizers and salads. I think we'll have more flexibility just using the TIW card, eating in the villa, and paying cash. I'm now re-considering my ADRs given that we won't be doing the dining plan. For example, I'm not sure I want to pay cash for the Fantasmic! dinner package at Hollywood & Vine. Fantasmic! is late for my kids anyway and I don't think the food at H&V is worth it. I may see if there's anything at the Brown Derby (too tired to remember if the name is right!) instead. I think I read that the TIW doesn't work for the Fantasmic! package but I'd rather pay for good food. That's just the way I roll! :thumbsup2

I will go through my ADRs when I get some breathing room and make some changes. We would have ordered from garden grocer regardless so we'll just add to our order. We ate a few meals in when we stayed at SSR and that worked well for us. We had dinner one night made up of heated left-overs and 1 box of mac n cheese. I just find the dining plan limiting (the only time we used it was when we had free dining and I didn't miss it on our other trips!). I also wonder if the push towards the QS dining plan will make ADRs a bit easier in the future?

I'm also starting to think about our January 1/2 marathon trip. I'm leaning towards staying at a monorail resort. The 1/2 marathon runs past the monorail resorts so the grandparents and children can sleep in and just step outside to see us. I loved staying in the Epcot area but I think this makes more sense. Thoughts? Opinions? Advice????

Amanda

Hey Amanda...sorry your week has been so rough.:sad2: Nothing like a jarring step back into reality after your wonderful trip!:laughing:

I think the TIW plan sounds like a great option for you. It is definitely more flexible than the DP.

I actually did the math, and we ended up saving a lot more with the DDP over the TIW based on what I anticipated that we would be eating, which would obviously not include appy, entree and dessert with every meal. But then again, we are also people who like to eat both an appy and entree with every meal, and dessert once a day. So for us the DDP makes sense, but for you, it sounds like the TIW is the better option. An added plus with the TIW is that it includes adult drinks as you know!;)

Sorry about the rough week:hug:
As far as marathon weekend the monorail resort is so convenient. You can sleep in a bit longer because you can catch the monorail a bit later. And if you stay at CR or GF you will run right by the resort. Even if you stay at Poly you run right by the TTC so it wouldn't be hard to get there either for anyone that wants to see you. Last year the lines after the races for the buses were really long. We just walked over to the monorail and got right on. I think that is definitely the way to go!

Hey Amanda, so sorry you've had a tough week. I hope the kids are feeling better and that things at work have smoothed out. :hug:

I agree with you about paying for good food- especially if you're not really sure about F! I'm all for paying for an experience that we really want- we're paying for Park Fare even though the food gets mixed reviews but it's an experience we're all REALLY looking forward to. However I'd do a different oop meal in a heartbeat if it weren't for the step-sisters. So, I think if you're not excited about F! and not excited about the food then definately go with something else. :thumbsup2

Oooo, sorry about your rough week! Probably a good idea to cancel the DDP for your family-- it's crazy how much the plan has changed for the worse over the years. To think that an appetizer/tip used to be included for the same price is just nuts! We're going to US/IOA this summer and are staying in a Marriott villa. It'll be nice to make our own food-- exactly what we want!
I love the idea of staying at a monorail resort- it'll be nice for your fam not to have to travel from Epcot to see you. Plus, you know you'll be back in the Epcot area in the future. Where are you thinking of staying??

Hey Amanda...sorry your week has been so rough.:sad2: Nothing like a jarring step back into reality after your wonderful trip!:laughing:

I think the TIW plan sounds like a great option for you. It is definitely more flexible than the DP.

I actually did the math, and we ended up saving a lot more with the DDP over the TIW based on what I anticipated that we would be eating, which would obviously not include appy, entree and dessert with every meal. But then again, we are also people who like to eat both an appy and entree with every meal, and dessert once a day. So for us the DDP makes sense, but for you, it sounds like the TIW is the better option. An added plus with the TIW is that it includes adult drinks as you know!;)

Quite the jarring return to reality! :eek:
We found it hard to use the QS meals on the plan. Weird, right?

Sorry about the rough week:hug:
As far as marathon weekend the monorail resort is so convenient. You can sleep in a bit longer because you can catch the monorail a bit later. And if you stay at CR or GF you will run right by the resort. Even if you stay at Poly you run right by the TTC so it wouldn't be hard to get there either for anyone that wants to see you. Last year the lines after the races for the buses were really long. We just walked over to the monorail and got right on. I think that is definitely the way to go!

Thanks for the advice! That's what I was thinking.

Hey Amanda, so sorry you've had a tough week. I hope the kids are feeling better and that things at work have smoothed out. :hug:

I agree with you about paying for good food- especially if you're not really sure about F! I'm all for paying for an experience that we really want- we're paying for Park Fare even though the food gets mixed reviews but it's an experience we're all REALLY looking forward to. However I'd do a different oop meal in a heartbeat if it weren't for the step-sisters. So, I think if you're not excited about F! and not excited about the food then definately go with something else. :thumbsup2

I've heard great things about F! but I'm not sure the kids will do well that late. If I can change the ADR to get the better food, I'll do it. Otherwise I may cancel and get an ADR for someplace else. :confused3

Oooo, sorry about your rough week! Probably a good idea to cancel the DDP for your family-- it's crazy how much the plan has changed for the worse over the years. To think that an appetizer/tip used to be included for the same price is just nuts! We're going to US/IOA this summer and are staying in a Marriott villa. It'll be nice to make our own food-- exactly what we want!
I love the idea of staying at a monorail resort- it'll be nice for your fam not to have to travel from Epcot to see you. Plus, you know you'll be back in the Epcot area in the future. Where are you thinking of staying??

I'm not sure where to stay. It doesn't seem that there are any 2 bedroom villas at BLT. We could get a one bedroom and 2 studios (for the grandparents). Or we could just get 3 regular rooms at either CR or Poly. I've heard the pool at BLT is cool. The regular pool at CR is ok but not great. On the other hand January isn't exactly peak swimming season! :laughing: I'm going to see what the prices are and what the availability is.... I'm definitely open to suggestions!

Amanda

Things I need to think about:

1. Reviewing my ADRs and thinking about any changes that I want to make.
2. Starting to think about where to stay for the January trip. Probably a monorail resort. BLT for the villas? Poly because it's awesome? Regular Contemporary for the price?
3. Finding affordable airfare for the August trip. :sad2: This has been a nightmare!

Amanda

yay for a TR! :yay: Beaches and Cream is one of the restaurants I would love to try some day! I will have to add it to my list. Any pictures of the infamous balloon? :woohoo: for APs!!

Wow--you got a ton done at EP in what seems like a relatively short time!

Do what fits best for you and your family's habits--if you think you are better off with the KIW and no DDP, than you are probably right. Pull up a couple restaurant's menus when you have a chance and do a quick estimate. I am bit worried about it being worth it for me as I eat a lot of salads if the DDP will be worth it for me personally, but for the rest of the family it does.

Marathon: do you like one of the resorts it goes close to? You mentioned BL, what about trying for points from the DVC board?

yay for a TR! :yay: Beaches and Cream is one of the restaurants I would love to try some day! I will have to add it to my list. Any pictures of the infamous balloon? :woohoo: for APs!!

Wow--you got a ton done at EP in what seems like a relatively short time!

Do what fits best for you and your family's habits--if you think you are better off with the KIW and no DDP, than you are probably right. Pull up a couple restaurant's menus when you have a chance and do a quick estimate. I am bit worried about it being worth it for me as I eat a lot of salads if the DDP will be worth it for me personally, but for the rest of the family it does.

Marathon: do you like one of the resorts it goes close to? You mentioned BL, what about trying for points from the DVC board?

Beaches & Cream is tiny and very cute. The burgers and onion rings were awesome!
We were amazed at how quickly we got through Epcot. I really believe that the touring plan helped but it also helped that it was just 2 adults! No whining. No slow pokes. :lmao:
I should sit down and look at menus and decide. We already have the TIW card (I think it probably paid for itself on our recent weekend) and we can use it regardless of DDP or not. I've been so busy and stressed lately that I haven't had time!
Interesting idea about renting points. My biggest issue with DVC is no daily mousekeeping. My DH is a slob so I would end up either staying in a very messy hotel room or having to do all the cleaning myself. I'd rather pay cash and have the mousekeeping! Typically there are steep discounts for AP holders in January (like 40% off deluxe) so I could always book a room now and then apply the discount....

Amanda

We found it hard to use the QS meals on the plan. Weird, right?

That is the exact reason we went with the Deluxe Dining Plan. You can eat anywhere you want, counter service or table service, up to 3 times a day. I guarantee we won't be eating *any* counter service meals for the 7 days we are on the DxDP!;)

Goodness, you had a rough week, girl! :hug:

Yup. DH now has the vomiting bug which leaves me to manage all else. I went to the grocery store at 8pm last night after everyone else was asleep. :rolleyes:

That is the exact reason we went with the Deluxe Dining Plan. You can eat anywhere you want, counter service or table service, up to 3 times a day. I guarantee we won't be eating *any* counter service meals for the 7 days we are on the DxDP!;)

That just seems like an enormous amount of food! I could see doing that for a grown-up trip but my kids are hit-or-miss eaters. They either eat everything and anything or nothing at all!!! :lmao: My kids like to eat frozen Gogurt for breakfast so we can take that out of the freezer and run. We'll have healthy snacks (sliced apples, etc.) and drinks with us. We'll either eat a late lunch in the villa or grab something quickly at the park.

Amanda

That just seems like an enormous amount of food! I could see doing that for a grown-up trip but my kids are hit-or-miss eaters. They either eat everything and anything or nothing at all!!! :lmao: My kids like to eat frozen Gogurt for breakfast so we can take that out of the freezer and run. We'll have healthy snacks (sliced apples, etc.) and drinks with us. We'll either eat a late lunch in the villa or grab something quickly at the park.

Amanda

If it wasn't for the fact that most every nite we are using 2 credits for dining, I agree, it would be too much food for us.

But due to the amount of 2 credit dining we do, I will actually have to work to ensure we don't run out of points! (Mind you, I seem to have 2 extra credits per person I wasn't counting on due to recently unforeseen developments...:rotfl:)

If it wasn't for the fact that most every nite we are using 2 credits for dining, I agree, it would be too much food for us.

But due to the amount of 2 credit dining we do, I will actually have to work to ensure we don't run out of points! (Mind you, I seem to have 2 extra credits per person I wasn't counting on due to recently unforeseen developments...:rotfl:)

I forgot that the Signature restaurants take 2 credits. :idea: You make a good point! We haven't used the Dining Plan for Signature dining; we usually just pay cash.

Amanda

Despite my horrible week I ran yesterday on the treadmill. 28 minutes! It was ok. I went 2.59 miles in 38 minutes (including warm-up and cool-down walks). It felt good and I finally broke 2.5 miles!
We're on a tight budget right now. We got killed with taxes. My DH's job changed a bit (long story - his small practice became part of a big practice) and we started filing quarterly. Apparently our accountant WAY underestimated our taxes. Not a pretty picture. I'm really trying to cut down on unnecessary spending. Which isn't easy with 3 rapidly growing children who have few spring/summer clothes that fit. I'm glad I bought them clothes for Easter! It also makes me happy that I canceled our dining plan because we can spend on food more carefully. We'll still eat at least one meal out per day but we'll cook some and bring snacks and treats with us (we would have ordered from garden grocer anyway but we'll get some mac n cheese and stuff in addition to the snacks and breakfast food).

Amanda

I hear ya with the taxes Amanda. I have to pay my yearly tax bill at the end of the month:sick:

Sorry about your rough week. I hope everyone is feeling better!

I love the idea of staying at a monorail resort in January so they can just step outside to see you, that's a great idea!

Sorry taxes got you this year...a tight budget is never good for anyone. Sounds like you'll be able to do a great job on the food budget for the trip without the dining plan and that will certainly help!

We're in the same place with airfare...the prices are ridiculous right now and they aren't fluctuating at all. We're afraid they'll go up even more while we're waiting for them to go down!

We're flying Southwest which isn't my favorite airline but not only are the fares lowest you also don't have to pay fees for checked bags (up to 2 per person). I booked ours the first day fares came out for our dates and got a decent price but I just found out that I need to keep checking. If another fare comes out cheaper through SW then I can be reimbursed for the difference! :banana:

We're flying out of White Plains as well for our Nov trip...but we figured it out and Airtran is going to be SOOO expensive w/ checked baggage that we want to see what the JetBlue prices are...we're almost tempted to look into Bradley since we're in CT as it is!!!

Gotta love it! GL.

Sorry about your rough week. I hope everyone is feeling better!

I love the idea of staying at a monorail resort in January so they can just step outside to see you, that's a great idea!

Sorry taxes got you this year...a tight budget is never good for anyone. Sounds like you'll be able to do a great job on the food budget for the trip without the dining plan and that will certainly help!

We're in the same place with airfare...the prices are ridiculous right now and they aren't fluctuating at all. We're afraid they'll go up even more while we're waiting for them to go down!

Thanks for the sympathy! Everyone seems better (there was the ear infection episode and then I got my P.A. at work sick but essentially...). I keep waiting for airfare to go down and it keeps going up!

We're flying Southwest which isn't my favorite airline but not only are the fares lowest you also don't have to pay fees for checked bags (up to 2 per person). I booked ours the first day fares came out for our dates and got a decent price but I just found out that I need to keep checking. If another fare comes out cheaper through SW then I can be reimbursed for the difference! :banana:

Southwest isn't even reasonable for us! And we'd have at least an hour drive to get to the airport where Southwest flies from....

We're flying out of White Plains as well for our Nov trip...but we figured it out and Airtran is going to be SOOO expensive w/ checked baggage that we want to see what the JetBlue prices are...we're almost tempted to look into Bradley since we're in CT as it is!!!

Gotta love it! GL.

I agree that the baggage fees can kill you! I have $200 worth of travel vouchers for Jet Blue so the other fares have to be really good to beat that, esp when you count the luggage costs! I looked into Bradley and the prices were even more than LGA or White Plains...

Amanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter