2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

Goal = 40

Book #1: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

A quick read that kept me up way too late last night!

Next up:
Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron (for book club)
Matched by Ally Condie (because my oldest DD loves this trilogy and asked me to read it, and I have enjoyed reading some YA fiction in the past such as Hunger Games)

Can I please have my goal decreased to 25?! I am going back to work full time so I doubt I will have the energy to stay up late anymore.

#4 done - "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis. Not my favorite of his. I think I need to find a nice, long book next.

Finished up #2 - The Fault in Our Stars. I give it 4.5*. It made me cry. It made me laugh. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think YA might my be favorite Genre. :)

The synopsis from Amazon:

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning-author John Green’s most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

Next up: On the Island

Anna Emerson is a thirty-year-old English teacher desperately in need of adventure. Worn down by the cold Chicago winters and a relationship that’s going nowhere, she jumps at the chance to spend the summer on a tropical island tutoring sixteen-year-old T.J.

T.J. Callahan has no desire to go anywhere. His cancer is in remission and he wants to get back to his normal life. But his parents are insisting he spend the summer in the Maldives catching up on all the school he missed last year.

Anna and T.J. board a private plane headed to the Callahan’s summer home, and as they fly over the Maldives’ twelve hundred islands, the unthinkable happens. Their plane crashes in shark-infested waters. They make it to shore, but soon discover that they’re stranded on an uninhabited island.

At first, their only thought is survival. But as the days turn to weeks, and then months, the castaways encounter plenty of other obstacles, including violent tropical storms, the many dangers lurking in the sea, and the possibility that T.J.’s cancer could return. As T.J. celebrates yet another birthday on the island, Anna begins to wonder if the biggest challenge of all might be living with a boy who is gradually becoming a man.

Scratch that. I'm gonna be reading my next book on a flight to Disney World so I think I'll choose another one. lol Rush Home Road it is!

I'm about half way through with Under the Dome. I'm loving it. So reminiscent of his earlier writings when I just could not put them down! I think my husband is feeling slighted because I've been reading this like a mad woman. :rotfl:
It's been a long time since I've read a book where I wanted to reach through the pages and hit a character. :headache:

I'm about half way through with Under the Dome. I'm loving it. So reminiscent of his earlier writings when I just could not put them down! I think my husband is feeling slighted because I've been reading this like a mad woman. :rotfl:
It's been a long time since I've read a book where I wanted to reach through the pages and hit a character. :headache:

I very much enjoyed Under the Dome! I read that he did write a good chunk of it years ago and brought out the rough draft to finish it. It does read like his older books. I think his writing has changed since his accident and since he's been getting older. (Aren't we all getting older, though...:))

Count me in! Put me down for 30 books as well! I love to read and get suggestions from other avid readers! The book I have been talking a lot about lately is The Light Between the Oceans. Absolutely fabulous read. Finished the book a week ago and am still thinking about these characters!

I'm halfway through 11/22/63 and I'm enjoying the read :)

We have some other things going on that are not letting me read as much as I want....

Next up: On the Island

Scratch that. I'm gonna be reading my next book on a flight to Disney World so I think I'll choose another one. lol Rush Home Road it is!

Easy read and better than I thought it would be. I think I got it because it was either free or really, really cheap as an ebook.

I know what you mean! I really enjoyed that book as well. Reminded me a lot of The Stand.

I've decided on Gone Girl; I'm only a few pages in so far. I think there will be a football game on the tv at my house tonight, so I'll probably get some reading time this evening!

Easy read and better than I thought it would be. I think I got it because it was either free or really, really cheap as an ebook.

I know what you mean! I really enjoyed that book as well. Reminded me a lot of The Stand.

I've decided on Gone Girl; I'm only a few pages in so far. I think there will be a football game on the tv at my house tonight, so I'll probably get some reading time this evening!

ENJOY! That's still my favorite book so far. LOVED it! :thumbsup2

Goal = 50

Book #4 - "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Piccoult

This was a very hard book to read considering the events at Newtown! However, I'm glad that I read it. I usually have mixed feelings about Piccoult's writing, but this was done very well.

The book follows the victims of a school shooting in New Hampshire. Some things are not what they seem to be, and you are left wondering who the real victims are.

I would recommend this, although, it is hard to read!

Next up: "How To Eat a Cupcake" by Meg Donohue

threeboysmom said:
Duly noted! :thumbsup2

Congrats on your job! (if that's a good thing, lol)

Thanks. It was definitely by choice, I will just miss all my books. Thanks for updating my goal.

Ok so my goal is 30 books and I've finished 2 :)

I finished the 3rd book in a Nora Robert Trilogy, Finding the Dream. Good book, satisfying end to the series. Sometimes you just need a feel good romance story.

Book 2- Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter. Enjoyed this book as well, different than I expected but I will be reading the next book in October!!! Why do we have to wait so long lol.

--------------------

In the process of reading book 3 It's called Candle Bay. Can't remember the author but I will post about it when I am finished.

2/30

Oooooh I want to join in! I think Ill make a goal of 125 this year. Not sure what Titles though. I need good book ideas.

Goal 70

#2 Gravity by Abigail Boyd (#1 in the Gravity series) This is the summary from goodreads.

A lost friend, a new love, and a town full of secrets... One night in the town of Hell, Ariel's best friend goes missing. Those around her believe Jenna ran away, but when Ariel is tormented by nightmares and paranormal activity, she realizes Jenna's disappearance was part of a bigger mystery. Ariel's obsession with haunted houses and horror movies makes her the perfect detective.

But to complicate matters, a handsome newcomer named Henry Rhodes plagues her with unwanted attention. Though he doesn't believe in the supernatural events, she enlists his help and that of quirky nerd Theo. What is making the lights at school flicker? And why did Ariel dream of the old abandoned Dexter orphanage? When Ariel finally discovers the truth, it's much worse than she ever feared.

I actually really enjoyed this book, I got it free on my kindle so I figured why not. It was kind of slow in the beginning, but picked up the gurther you got. I liked it enough that I want to read the other 3 in the series.

Goal 75

#2 ~ Logan (Montana Creeds #1) by Linda Lael Miller

Descendants of the legendary McKettrick family, the Creeds are renowned in Stillwater Springs, Montana--for raising hell...After years of wandering, Logan Creed, a cowboy with a dusty law degree, has returned home. To put down roots, to restore his family's neglected ranch...to have kids of his own proudly bearing the Creed name.

Divorced mom Briana Grant has heard the stories about her gorgeous neighbor. So Logan's kindness with her young boys is a welcome surprise, especially when her ex reappears. And when an unknown enemy vandalizes her home, Logan shows Briana--and the folks of Big Sky country--just what he's made of.

I am a fan of Linda Lael Miller, and I thought this was another good book by her. I liked that is was a modern western romance, a little change of pace from some of her western romances set in the 1800's.

Paperback from Better World Books

Yep:sad1: me!! I went and upped mine from 12 to 25 with 23 to go! I have an interview friday so If i get this job ill have more reading time!:rotfl:

Oh no, sorry! :hug: I have you updated now!

Oooooh I want to join in! I think Ill make a goal of 125 this year. Not sure what Titles though. I need good book ideas.

Whoa! You win with the greatest number of books as your reading goal!! I can't even fathom!

If you haven't read any of these, I would highly recommend based on my own experience or books that other DIS'ers have loved:

Check out a couple of the other book threads on the DIS if you need ideas!

Some of those mentioned over and over are:

Gone Girl
11-22-63
Hunger Games trilogy
Divergent
Rush Home Road
Defending Jacob
Life of Pi

My mind has gone blank... lol. Those are just a few off the top of my head, but if you're a huge reader, you've probably read all of these.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter