2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

Okay, if I continue to have free time on the weekends, I may have to up my goal from 40.

Just finished book #3 - "Replay" by Ken Grimwood. Excellent book. Here's the description:

Jeff Winston, forty-three, didn't know he was a replayer until he died and woke up twenty-five years younger in his college dorm room; he lived another life. And died again. And lived again and died again -- in a continuous twenty-five-year cycle -- each time starting from scratch at the age of eighteen to reclaim lost loves, remedy past mistakes, or make a fortune in the stock market. A novel of gripping adventure, romance, and fascinating speculation on the nature of time, Replay asks the question: "What if you could live your life over again?"

If you enjoyed 11/22/63, I'd highly recommend this one.

That sounds good! Add another to my wish list!

I LOVE reading, and do a lot of it when the weather keeps me from riding my motorcyle, which living in Maine is 4-5 months out of the year. I guess that's an awkward way of saying that I have found riding to be another of my passions. So I am going to challenge myself to reading 26 books this year. I am on number 3 now, I am reading The Host, by Stephanie Meyers. I have to keep reading this thread to see how it's organized.

Thanks, this is going to be fun! :)

I'll start...

I plan on reading 30 books in 2013 (I usually read on average 2 per month so this will stretch me somewhat).

I have 54 currently on my "to-read" list though. Grrrrr... Just not enough time!!

The book I am most excited about reading in 2013 is Rush Home Road.... oh and Defending Jacob. Two books that have had consistently good reviews and that have been on my list for quite some time now.

I'm also looking forward to finishing the Harry Potter series once and for all!!!

I HIGHLY recommend Defending Jacob, it's excellent!

I may upping my goal as well, blame reading a ton of paperbacks along with the larger books.

This trauma junkie series is evil!! I read the second one tonnight insted of going to bed. Gonna be a tried nanny tommrow

book: Trauma Junkie: hyodermic nightmare by Tom Hobbs
Summery: ICharters return from the previous book. This book deals with Brian getting poked with a dirty needle and his travels through the span of time before he can be tested for HIV.

WOW! You would think it would be a sad book but I laughed my butt off! I just love how mel is so cocky and sassy! This book had more of the daughter mentioned which was nice.

Off to read: Trauma Junkie the blackout blues! then I gatta wait till febuary for book 4!:sad:

Goal: 30

Book # 1: Promised (The third book in the Birthmarked Trilogy) by Caragh M. O'Brien - Young Adult, Dystopian

Rating: 4.5 our of 5 stars

Summary: After defying the ruthless Enclave, surviving the wasteland, and upending the rigid matriarchy of Sylum, Gaia Stone now faces her biggest challenge ever. She must lead the people of Sylum back to the Enclave and persuade the Protectorat to grant them refuge from the wasteland. In Gaia's absence, the Enclave has grown more cruel, more desperate to experiment on mothers from outside the wall, and now the stakes of cooperating or rebelling have never been higher. Is Gaia ready, as a leader, to sacrifice what--or whom--she loves most?

I admit, the above is from the net. I loved how this trilogy wrapped up. It came full circle from the beginning. Warning that this is not a stand alone book. If I read it first, I would not have enjoyed the book and been totally confused.

Goal = 30

Book #2 Fault Lines by Nancy Huston

3 stars

This books traces four generations of a family, starting in California in 2004 and going back to Germany in 1945. Each generation's story is told from a child's point of view, though some of the children's thoughts seemed too mature for their age.

Okay, if I continue to have free time on the weekends, I may have to up my goal from 40.

Just finished book #3 - "Replay" by Ken Grimwood. Excellent book. Here's the description:

Jeff Winston, forty-three, didn't know he was a replayer until he died and woke up twenty-five years younger in his college dorm room; he lived another life. And died again. And lived again and died again -- in a continuous twenty-five-year cycle -- each time starting from scratch at the age of eighteen to reclaim lost loves, remedy past mistakes, or make a fortune in the stock market. A novel of gripping adventure, romance, and fascinating speculation on the nature of time, Replay asks the question: "What if you could live your life over again?"

This sounds really good. Will add it to my list.

Goal: 30

Book # 1: Promised (The third book in the Birthmarked Trilogy) by Caragh M. O'Brien - Young Adult, Dystopian

Rating: 4.5 our of 5 stars

Summary: After defying the ruthless Enclave, surviving the wasteland, and upending the rigid matriarchy of Sylum, Gaia Stone now faces her biggest challenge ever. She must lead the people of Sylum back to the Enclave and persuade the Protectorat to grant them refuge from the wasteland. In Gaia's absence, the Enclave has grown more cruel, more desperate to experiment on mothers from outside the wall, and now the stakes of cooperating or rebelling have never been higher. Is Gaia ready, as a leader, to sacrifice what--or whom--she loves most?

I admit, the above is from the net. I loved how this trilogy wrapped up. It came full circle from the beginning. Warning that this is not a stand alone book. If I read it first, I would not have enjoyed the book and been totally confused.

I read Birthmarked last month and have the second book on hold at my library. Looking forward to starting it.

Goal 72

#2 The Giver by Lois Lowry

Imagine living in a community where everything is the same. Each family consists of a dad-mom-1 son-1 daughter. None biological. Each adult is appointed a 'job' within the community. They are trained in this position starting at age 12. This book starts with Jonas who has just turned 12 and is selected for a very special job.
This is a YA book. Very good.

willowsnn3 said:
Goal 72

#2 The Giver by Lois Lowry

Imagine living in a community where everything is the same. Each family consists of a dad-mom-1 son-1 daughter. None biological. Each adult is appointed a 'job' within the community. They are trained in this position starting at age 12. This book starts with Jonas who has just turned 12 and is selected for a very special job.
This is a YA book. Very good.

I have read it before it was very good

Just finished book #1: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I wasn't sure if I liked it until the end, but it's now one of my favorites. I read a lot of young adult fiction, but I usually stick to fantasy/sci-fi/dystopian books and not contemporary/issues books. I definitely recommend having a box of tissue nearby if you choose to read this one.

Up next is The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan. I always read his new books with my nephew, but I think this might be the last because he's outgrowing the series. In fact, I think he's just reading this one to humor me. It should go pretty fast since it's a middle grades book.

I loved Mark of Athena and cannot wait for the next one. Rick Riordan's books are great and I think they can be good for all ages. Maybe he'll stick with it. There is going to be a resurgence because they decided to make Sea of Monsters. Hopefully they don't totally screw it up like they did Lightning Thief. I'm not optomistic though. It's the same actors who were already way too old when Lightning Theif was made. They just need to reboot theseries.

GOAL: 52.

book #1: The Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare Teen Fantasy/Romance

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

This is the second book in the infernal devices series by Cassandra Clare which is a precursor to the Mortal Instruments series. I am re reading it. I really love this series. In this book Tessa must face love and betrayal. The Shadowhunters are still hunting the Magister who wants to kidnap Tessa, but she still does not know why. Tessa is also searching for answers to her past. If she is not human, what is she? Who are her real parents? Tessa must find strength she did not know that she had as she helps the Nephilim battle the forces of the Magister.

Next up will be the first book in the Mortal Instruments (again). I read them quickly because I wanted to know what happened, so now I am going to go back and try to pick up on some of the details I missed the first time around.

GOAL: 52.

book #1: The Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare Teen Fantasy/Romance

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

This is the second book in the infernal devices series by Cassandra Clare which is a precursor to the Mortal Instruments series. I am re reading it. I really love this series. In this book Tessa must face love and betrayal. The Shadowhunters are still hunting the Magister who wants to kidnap Tessa, but she still does not know why. Tessa is also searching for answers to her past. If she is not human, what is she? Who are her real parents? Tessa must find strength she did not know that she had as she helps the Nephilim battle the forces of the Magister.

Next up will be the first book in the Mortal Instruments (again). I read them quickly because I wanted to know what happened, so now I am going to go back and try to pick up on some of the details I missed the first time around.

The Mortal Instruments series is on my want to read list too.

Goal - 50 books

Book #3 - "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" by Brian Selznick

My 15 year old daughter has been after me to read this book for the last 6 years! It's her favorite book. However, I always managed to find some excuse not to read it. I picked it up last night, and became enchanted.

This is the story of Hugo Cabret, an orphan who takes care of the clocks in a Paris railway station. Through a series of events, he finds a friend, and unlocks a mystery surrounding the toymaker who has a shop in the station.

If you've seen the movie "Hugo", then you know the story. It is charming! The book is even more so, with hundreds of drawings that help tell the story. This is a children's book, but it is so much more than that! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Next up: "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Piccoult

Hope I'm not too late to join. My goal is 40 books in 2013.
I just finished book #2 today.
1. The Dark Side of Innocence: Growing Up Bi-Polar by Teri Cheney
2. Insurgent by Veronica Roth

book: Trauma Junkie Blackout blues by Tom Hobbs
Summery: A blackout hits the city, causing lots of fear and some drama. This drama leads to a deeper understanding of two of the charcters. Totally could be read as a stand alone!!

I liked this one, gave more prespect into the charcters. It also had some well placed crimes and of course, a good laugh!!!

I have not read 11/22/63 but I think I'd like this from the sound of it. Thanks, I'm adding it to my list!

My goal = 50 books.

Number 2 finished: "The Appeal" by John Grisham

At the opening of this book, a Mississippi court hands down a verdict to a large chemical company accused of dumping chemicals and causing cancer in a small town. They are hit with a large verdict, and the CEO swears that he will never pay. The rest of the book is filled with twists and turns as we see to what lengths "big business" will go in order to get a verdict overturned at the Supreme Court level.

I will admit that I usually like Grisham's novels, but this one left me feeling very uncomfortable. I'm going to have to think about this book for a while before deciding whether or not I liked it. Perhaps that makes it successful? This one will stay with me.

Next up: "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Piccoult.

Hmm, I may need to add this too. I usually like his books though I haven't read any in awhile. I like books that make you uncomfortable sometimes.

Just finished #1- Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult and OMG it was painful to finish. The wolf stuff was beyond ridiculous and her characters are so self centered and all 'wha wha, poor me, I was so wronged'. Blech! Now on to the book DH got me for Xmas- The 12 Tribes of Hattie.

Thanks for sharing that. I will pass and did not like the sound of it when I read the summary. I usually like her books and Handle with Care is my favorite.

I finished my 2nd book out of my goal of 20.

Shopping with the Enemy - Carmen Reid - this is a series of 6 books & I read the first 5 last year. Quick, easy reads about a personal shopper & her imperfect life. She has kids and starts the book dating then it progresses through her jobs and relationships. Kind of along the lines of the Shopaholic series. I thought I was done with British chick lit but these were cute. The later books get better and you don't have to read them all but it makes more sense if you do.

I'm in!

My goal is going to be pretty low - 20 books. I love to read and try to do it as much as I can, but sometimes I spend my free time doing other things. I usually only get through a few books a year. This year, though, I'm going to push myself to change that.

I'm currently reading book #1 - "The Serpent's Shadow" by Rick Riordan, book #3 of the Kane Chronicles. Even though I'm 25 years old, I love all of his books. I've read the first two in this series, the whole Percy Jackson series, and the first in the Heroes of Olympus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter