• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2012/2013 Beach and Yacht FAQ- Closing Soon- New Thread Started- Don't Post Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree.

I thought I could be open-minded when I ordered the following on a trip to Puerto Rico last year. The waitress warned me "It's tomato based"

Here's a little portion about the encounter from my trip report

Caribbean Seafood and Yucca Chowder with Cilantro Oil, $14

P3060012.jpg

The chowder was ok. I should have listened to the waitress. My New England prejudice may be rearing its ugly head, but seafood chowder NEEDS a cream base. And skip the tomatoes. It just aint right!

ETA- Ok OK, not icky.

I worked for a seafood restaurant, The Weathervane based in Maine/NH. When we opened a couple of restaurants in NY, I went out to train the staff. What fun I had when I served the guests milk based chowder. They were all like "What's this???"

:crazy2: Well Dee, being born in NY, I have to say the Manhattaan Chowder is the best :rotfl: :flower3:

Oh wow! I'm from that area, too. I lived near Pluckemin (at Sunset Lake) but had a Basking Ridge mailing address. All my cousins went to Ridge high school, too. My mom lives in Flemington now.

It's a small world after all for sure. A couple of B'villes, some Ridge folk, Pluckemin, next we'll be hearing from Far Hills, Bedminster, Peapack and Gladstone!!! Seriously though, it's a big country, and it cracks me up that there is this Somerset Hills representation here, this is not a heavily populated area in Jersey terms. Good for us!!! :yay:

The non-seafood stuff is good too and the salads and chowders are yummy. Not that icky red chowder, either, the real milk-based stuff (Sorry, I'm not from your neighborhood)

Now now "Nate" the red chowda isn't bad (icky)... just not as good as the real milk-based stuff!! :)

Right, it's Better then the icky white stuff, let the chowder wars begin :rotfl2:

I think we are on the same vacation schedule ;) Last night we hosted a business dinner (dh and I run a company here in US so we are lucky to work together) and somehow my iPhone got passed around, alas our january trip next year is growing, seems everyone was impressed with YC! Thankfully we enjoy our co-workers and associates so we are excited to have a big group!

And - we went to J. Gilberts, a great Steak restaurant here in McLean VA...and DH had memorized the ingredients for Sunken Treasure so three of the ladies (me included of course) were having Sunken Treasures!!!

Love you guys on this thread - im such a happy Sunken Treasure girl :laughing::):):):)

Maybe see ya in SAB in Aug with a Sunken Treasure of course :goodvibes

Hi BC experts. I was adding some stuff to "My Disney Experience" and it lists all the activities for the Beach Club when we're there (April 14-21). The app has hours for restaurants, shops & recreation, but in the recreation section it only lists the quiet pool and not SAB. Has anyone heard of any refurbs there in April? Or is it a Disney oversight? I'm having a minor freak out that SAB won't be open when we're there. Thanks for any words of comfort :)

Angeejoe said:
I vote for Yachtmans Steakhouse, it's a fav of DH & I, their steaks are phenomenal. 2nd choice is Cape May one on DHs few requests after Yachtmans, I'm not a fan of seafood but the have great non seafood items & Fresh salads. For desserts I'd totally recommend Beaches & Cream!

Yachtmans Steakhouse is one of our favorites, but we are trying Le Cellier this trip in May!

8lovesmickey said:
Hi BC experts. I was adding some stuff to "My Disney Experience" and it lists all the activities for the Beach Club when we're there (April 14-21). The app has hours for restaurants, shops & recreation, but in the recreation section it only lists the quiet pool and not SAB. Has anyone heard of any refurbs there in April? Or is it a Disney oversight? I'm having a minor freak out that SAB won't be open when we're there. Thanks for any words of comfort :)

My Disney Experience is VERY temperamental, I have had LOTS of problems. I wouldn't panic until I heard it from a CM verbally. I rarely go on the website anymore because it caused me palpitations every time my reservations were wrong or missing or misplaced or my traveling guests were incorrect or whatever.

medicgirl177 said:
My Disney Experience is VERY temperamental, I have had LOTS of problems. I wouldn't panic until I heard it from a CM verbally. I rarely go on the website anymore because it caused me palpitations every time my reservations were wrong or missing or misplaced or my traveling guests were incorrect or whatever.

Thanks for the advice. If I call the resort will they know about refurbs in April by now?

Who were these people that did not warm up to the white???? Certainly not the sophisticated Manhattanites :cool1: !!! My childhood was certainly not eclectic - Jersey shore summers, PA til 12, FL for HS and college, back to Jersey for the rest (brief stop in Louisiana) ...but we all knew there were TWO chowdas - at their best the Manhattan was spice and nice and the New England thick (not too thick) and warm and comforting like a blanket on a snowy evening...
I will not have my peeps maligned in this fashion :love1: surely the two chowders can live peaceably upon the planet and so bestow clam love upon all the peoples :love:

Don't they serve Chowdah at the Beach Club Market place? Is it the red or the white kind? And why do I feel like singing "Ebony and Ivory"???
And is the Red Chowder the culinary equivalent of Bette Midler and the white Chowder more like say, umm... Betty White!? :idea:

Come with me, off of the ledge and back into the building.

More than likely, and by that I mean Moooooooore than likely, Storm Along Bay will be open. April is not traditionally time for it's refurb and the pool complex just had a big close down last year to fix some major issues.

I do have some Bad News :scared: From "Mouse planet" "Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resort – Stormalong Bay kiddie pool slide closed February 1-12 for refurbishment."
What that means is that you can't slide your Keister down the kiddie slide but you can use all the other parts of the pool including the big slide or as we like to call it "Chiropractor's Calamity".

Now close your eyes and envision yourself floating along in a Sunkin Treasure and lobster/Scallop/Shrimp roll induced haze of nirvana... that's it, go toward the light, yes, yes the light!

:grouphug:
~NM

I'll be staying BC CL in a week & 4 days, so I will give you my honest opinion & TR! It is our first time at the BC as guests as well, we usually stay at the POLY CL!:cloud9:

Hi Dawn! I know you from twitter (I'm @anorth21). Welcome to the BC/YC thread! It's really a nice group here.
I also love Poly but I also love BC. Sad that we're staying off-site for the Princess but it's worth it to be able to run.
I hope I get to meet during the Princess Weekend!

Amanda

mademluc said:
Who were these people that did not warm up to the white???? Certainly not the sophisticated Manhattanites :cool1: !!! My childhood was certainly not eclectic - Jersey shore summers, PA til 12, FL for HS and college, back to Jersey for the rest (brief stop in Louisiana) .

You had me at Louisiana! Where in La.?

Dis703 said:
I know it's like Somerset County doesn't count as anything-lol.

You have twins as well it looks like? Must be something in the water up here:)

I haven't stayed at the BC yet and haven't dined in the area. So far our only dining plans are at the parks with Liberty Tree Tavern, Biergarten, 50s Prime Time, Tusker House, and Be Our Guest as our ADRs so far. I'm thinking with DH being a beer lover we should try out the Brewpub on the Boardwalk though.

I am from NJ and also have twins, but I am definitely from SOUTH Jersey. I did go to college in Trenton, which to me, might as well have been North Jersey.

DrMomof3 said:
Hi Dawn! I know you from twitter (I'm @anorth21). Welcome to the BC/YC thread! It's really a nice group here.
I also love Poly but I also love BC. Sad that we're staying off-site for the Princess but it's worth it to be able to run.
I hope I get to meet during the Princess Weekend!

Amanda

Hey girl! Yeah I might actually be able to meet ya in person!!! Are u dressing up as a princess or a costume of sorts??? Great to see u here !!!!!!How the heck are you lately????

Hey girl! Yeah I might actually be able to meet ya in person!!! Are u dressing up as a princess or a costume of sorts??? Great to see u here !!!!!!How the heck are you lately????

I'll wear a Sparkle Skirt but not going crazy. You?
We're hanging in there. Although I didn't post about it here, you know that we unexpectedly lost my mom over Christmas and we're all still trying to accept our new reality. Booking Disney trips seems to help!
We're also considering buying resale DVC at BCV!

Amanda

Amanda so sorry to hear about your mom.
We lost my niece in January.

Keeping you in our prayers.

Thanks Robyn. You've been through a lot lately, too. And Dee lost her mom not long before I did. :sad1:
I think I need a trip to BC to give Teena a big hug! :thumbsup2 That always makes me feel better.

Amanda

jennyd523 said:
We are staying at the YC SV CL June 9-15. This is our first time at the YC as well as the first time doing CL. We are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary while there! Thank you so much for all the helpful info and pix!

We just booked Aug 24 to 31.
BC CL

Good info, thanks. Next Aug we aren't doing the DDP, and plan on hitting up all the Boardwalk restaurants, since we've never tried them. So just orderibg appies would work well for us!
Last time we ate at Boardwalk Spoodles was still there :rolleyes1 And of course Beaches & Cream, and poss. Captains Grille.

You're welcome Sue M! We really like Captains Grille for breakfast, but we've never had lunch or dinner there. We had a lunch at Beaches & Cream, just reg old hot dogs & hamburgers, but we used lots of snack credits on ice cream!

Since you're not doing DDP are you considering some of restaurants at Swan/Dolphin? I hear good things about their restaurants, but never been there.

Personally, (and in my house), we are white chowder eaters. Stems from summers at the Cape I think! But most places here in Saratoga Springs serve both these days. I'm actually from Long Island (as are 3/4 of the "locals" here now). :0)

What I find MOST interesting is that so many of us from the Northeast flock to BC/YC which is based off old time quaint New England shore. You'd almost think that we'd all go for the exact opposite from where we live, yet we stay "pseudo-coastal"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter