2/15/2013 - 8 Night Western Cruise, Galveston, TX

Anyone else look into the rental car situation for the Houston/Galveston area? Is there anywhere to drop off a rental car by the port? Or are they only located at the airports?:confused3

We're getting in on Wed night, and we will probably do some exploring on Thursday (ie. space station), so that's why we're thinking about getting a rental for 1 or 2 days. :scratchin

Natalie

Here was my experience with Galveston cruise travel. We are arriving on Thursday evening and don't fly out until late the next Saturday so we thought having a rental car, so we could sight see a little, was the way to go.

9 day rentals have been pricing out at $500 - $600, plus another $60 - $100 for parking it while we're away, so I was all set to rent a couple of 1 way cars from Enterprise. We can do that from Orlando to Port Canaveral round trip for around $120.

I got through telling Enterprise all our travel information and with fees, more fees, taxes, service charges and an "economy recovery tax" she quoted me $295. That was darn high, but about the same cost as taking a shuttle round trip so I said "book it". She sent me a confirmation then said, "now let's work on that return trip."

OMG! :crazy2: She seriously quoted me $295 just for a 24 hour rental from Houston (IAH) to Galveston. I immediately cancelled and booked a shuttle.

As for the FEE, I dont know anything about what it is and I was scared to do to it without seeing what it was all about

The FEE is quite simple. There is a hook outside your cabin door in the shape of a fish where you will receive mail from the cruise line. You make or find something with 2 or 3 pockets (about 8 or 9 inches wide). This is called a FE (Fish Extender). You are extending you mail holder, and you make your own, buy a fancy one off etsy.com, or a simple one for about $5 from Ikea. I am cutting down a fabric shoe organizer to make one because I don't sew. Then you join a group and get a list of the cabin #'s in your group and everyone leaves small gifts for each other. They have kept the groups small so that you only need to buy or make gifts for about 12 cabins. The gifts can be anything (home made or bought). A few examples are glow sticks, dollar store toys for the kids, handmade key chains or bracelets or cruise themed magnets, or what ever you can dream up. There is no set price range and you can get a gift for each cabin or for each person in each cabin or both. You can drop off gifts 1 time during the cruise or multiple times. It is all just for added fun on the cruise with no pressure or expectations.

For lots of us its our first time hearing about and doing this too. But just remember groups 1 through 3 are closed and you only have one more day to join group 4, so join in quick if you can! pixiedust:

Here was my experience with Galveston cruise travel. We are arriving on Thursday evening and don't fly out until late the next Saturday so we thought having a rental car, so we could sight see a little, was the way to go.

9 day rentals have been pricing out at $500 - $600, plus another $60 - $100 for parking it while we're away, so I was all set to rent a couple of 1 way cars from Enterprise. We can do that from Orlando to Port Canaveral round trip for around $120.

I got through telling Enterprise all our travel information and with fees, more fees, taxes, service charges and an "economy recovery tax" she quoted me $295. That was darn high, but about the same cost as taking a shuttle round trip so I said "book it". She sent me a confirmation then said, "now let's work on that return trip."

OMG! :crazy2: She seriously quoted me $295 just for a 24 hour rental from Houston (IAH) to Galveston. I immediately cancelled and booked a shuttle.

I think that we are going to end up renting a car for the entire time, Wed night thru Sun morning, and park it at a Galveston hotel that has free parking. Enterprise is way too expensive!!! They want $100 each time you drop off the car in a different location. So, basically they charge an extra $200, to drop off at Galveston, and then drop off at the airport on the way home. :sad: They are also the most expensive company to rent from for some reason. :faint: No Thanks!

Natalie

I think that we are going to end up renting a car for the entire time, Wed night thru Sun morning, and park it at a Galveston hotel that has free parking. Enterprise is way too expensive!!! They want $100 each time you drop off the car in a different location. So, basically they charge an extra $200, to drop off at Galveston, and then drop off at the airport on the way home. :sad: They are also the most expensive company to rent from for some reason. :faint: No Thanks!

Natalie

Trying to book transportation is the most stressful part I think. There are a few rentals from Texas City, that don`t charge drop off fees but it cost $50 for shuttle from there to the port. I would park the car but we need a minivan so it makes it too expensive. The way back we need something for 8ppl so I might book a big van or send my Mom on the Disney shuttle. If only I lived in Galveston, I would open a car rental place. It is crazy what Enterprise charges.

Oh Paula! You and I think alike. I have so been thinking that I could move to Galveston and open a car rental place that actually was willing to work with the cruise ship passengers. We would be rich! :cool1:

We faced the same problem when we cruised out of there last March and again now. It actually makes more sense for us to do the long drive as well since we are a family of 7 traveling. That is crazy!

FloridaFun said:
Oh Paula! You and I think alike. I have so been thinking that I could move to Galveston and open a car rental place that actually was willing to work with the cruise ship passengers. We would be rich! :cool1:

We faced the same problem when we cruised out of there last March and again now. It actually makes more sense for us to do the long drive as well since we are a family of 7 traveling. That is crazy!

Y'all are making me seriously happy to be driving. We booked parking at the place Gina recommended on friday (thanks for the discount code Gina!) so now all we have to do is show up. My mom wants to retire in a few years and buy a place on Galveston. I'm thinking ill encourage her to open up a car rental place for some extra income!

Y'all are making me seriously happy to be driving. We booked parking at the place Gina recommended on friday (thanks for the discount code Gina!) so now all we have to do is show up. My mom wants to retire in a few years and buy a place on Galveston. I'm thinking ill encourage her to open up a car rental place for some extra income!

You're welcome, Katie!

It really is crazy... there used to be at least one other place, but they never returned after Ike. As more cruise business comes to Galveston, you'd think there would be a whole row of car rental places right there on Harborside!! But I guess they have done their studies, and likely determined that the number of people who drive to the port far outweigh the number who fly in, and they wouldn't make enough money. That's the only reason I can think of. Coupled with the fact that more and more private parking lots have opened up, maybe that is it?

I live close, but not close enough... and I WILL be on the island at some point. Maybe I'll start a private shuttle service, and a DIS-only B&B. :goodvibes

We are staying at the Comfort Suites Galveston the night before. Not near the airport but might work for afterwards for you. Two queens and a sleeper sofa, plus breakfast, it was $99 per night. They have a cruise port shuttle for an additional fee, it's $30 roundtrip for all 5 of us which was slightly cheaper than parking the car at one of the car parks so we are doing that.

dgmommie said:
Thanks for that list! There are several on there I wanted to see but never got the chance. I foresee a few movies in my time on the ship!

Me too! We have never taken the boys to he movie theater so this will be their first experience. When are we supposed to have time to watch movies? Does anyone know if the same movies run in the rooms?

nzkiwi said:
We are flying in very late on the 14th and need to book a hotel. We are looking for something near the airport, but there are 2 adults + 3 kids and most places seem to have a room capacity of 4.

We fly home on the 24th so we're looking for something to do and a place to stay and transportation options after we dock. Any suggestions?

We are so excited about our first cruise!

We fly in super late (12:15 am arrival) too. We are staying at the Hampton Inn Hobby. I had Hilton points so it was free but I think it would have been about $100 with free shuttle to/from airport and free breakfast. Our room has a king bed, sofa bed and I requested a pack-n-play.

We couldn't get a flight out on the 23rd so we are staying in Galveston that night at the Hilton Galveston. They have a fee shuttle to/from port to hotel. We used points but I think it's about $125 b/c it's the off season.

I'm still trying to figure out shuttles. The best pricing I've found is $135 one way for my family of 4.

Me too! We have never taken the boys to he movie theater so this will be their first experience. When are we supposed to have time to watch movies? Does anyone know if the same movies run in the rooms?

We watch movies late at night typically. But they run movies pretty much all day, and show the same movie at varying times throughout the cruise. We'll essentially have 4-1/2 days at sea (due to the half day at Key West). I'm sure we'll have time for a movie per day. :-)

From Port Canaveral we always stayed at the Radisson and booked a shuttle time as much as a year in advance. I think we are spoiled...
We will be driving from the Dallas area on Thursday and plan to stay at LaQuinta Seawall West. It is $55, has free breakfast & parking, their shuttle to port should be $20. I need to call the hotel directly to confirm that I have it all correct. Honestly, the reviews make it look a little questionable but I made sure to book on a website that has no cancellation fees. We may opt to spend more $$.

Hi everyone!! I just booked this cruise. Crazy last minute decision. Me and my 7 yr old. My husband is stuck working..boo for him. I am soo excited but I have to get cracking on the planning. Someone please give me highlights..is WDW included??? I didn't even look at the details, I just knew it was 8 nights on the Magic!

Hi Wshop,

Glad to have you sailing with us! :)

I just PM’ed you the information needed to sign up for the FE group. The group is set to close this morning, but if you can get it to me quickly then I can still add you.

The day at WDW is included. You will want to set up a bus time from the ship to WDW on your online check in page on the DCL site.

Beth

So is the 4th fee closed now? I want to work on my gifts but dont want to find out i need more stuff later! Getting so excited!

Wow, I haven't been on in a week or so, and so many new cruisers. Welcome! We've been crazy busy with cheer stuff, my DD's team is going to Nationals in Las Vegas this week, so they have been practicing like crazy and having meetings, etc. Also, my Dad made a last minute trip out here for a funeral and he stayed with us...Oh, and I've been busy watching my 49ers MAKE IT TO THE SUPER BOWL!!! :cool1: All of my well laid out plans to be totally prepared for this cruise have gone down the drain...I think I'm going to be scrambling when we get back from Vegas, but I do my best work under pressure. :confused3

As of right now, group 4 is officially closed for the FEE. There was one last cruiser added this morning, so please make sure you are using the latest list. Thank you to everyone for signing up and I look forward to delivering your gifts. :)

Andrea, I wish the best to your daughter at the national cheer finals in Vegas an Go 49ers!

If I am not mistaken, the first 8-night Magic Bahamas cruise out of Galveston is at WDW today. I'm very interested to hear how it all worked out. I'm so excited about this cruise I can't sit still!!!!:jumping3::mickeyjum

If I am not mistaken, the first 8-night Magic Bahamas cruise out of Galveston is at WDW today. I'm very interested to hear how it all worked out. I'm so excited about this cruise I can't sit still!!!!:jumping3::mickeyjum

Oh yeah!! I can't wait to hear about it when they all get back! And I am wanting to see Navigators soooo bad!! :hyper:

Welcome to all the new people! If you haven't already, be sure and check out the very first post of this long and fun thread -- Katie has done a great job of putting all the pertinent and helpful info there.
Only 24 more days!!!! :banana:

-gina-

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter