2/15/2013 - 8 Night Western Cruise, Galveston, TX

KPetty725

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the 2/15 sailing thread!! Since our thread has gotten crazy long, here is some important information for you:

We have 4 FEE groups and all four are full. If you need the link again for the google doc, please PM FloridaFun. :-)

If you'd like some great ideas for FEE gifts, check out FloridaFun's Pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/off2wdw/fe-disney-gifts/

FSU88 came up with an awesome graphic that shows the location of all the cabins for the FEE. Here's the link:
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6971/ffedeckplan3.jpg

Juliefsu started a FB group that you can request to join. Just send her a PM for the link.

Our first meet is currently set up for 2:00 in the Promenade Lounge, Deck 3 Aft on the day of sailing.

Meet 2 - 10:30am, 2/16, deck 9 by cove cafe and signals

Standing Meet: 10:00am, all days at sea, Mickey pool by splash pad

If you want to be easily recognizable to other DIS'ers, put something lime green (ribbon, Mickey head, etc.) on your luggage or person so we will all know you're one of us! (sorry, that sounded a bit creepy! ;-))

The dining dress list is as follows:
Day One-Cruise Casual
Day Two-Formal Night
Day Three-Cruise Casual
Day Four-Cruise Casual
Day Five-Cruise Casual
Day Six-Pirate/Cruise Casual
Day Seven-Semi-Formal
Day Eight- Cruise Casual

Dining Rotation should be as follows:
1) LAAPOAPL
2) APPLOPLA
3) PLLAOLAP
*The O is WDW day and they will not have rotational dining that night.

Movies on board are:
TOY STORY 3 IN 3-D
TANGLED IN 3-D
CHIMPANZEE
PEOPLE LIKE US
ODD LIFE OF TIMOTHY GREEN
BRAVE
FRANKENWIENIE
WRACK IT RALPH
LINCOLN
MONSTER'S INC IN 3-D

First time DCL cruisers, here are some handy links for you!
Menus by restaurant: http://goo.gl/kBIR4
Magic floor plan by decks: http://www.cruisecritic.com/disney-magic-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=33&deck=1
Printable/Interactive Packing List: http://www.independenttraveler.com/packing

I have added your thread to the cruise meet list :cool1:

Have a great cruise!

Holy smokes... no posts here yet??? Sorry you've been here all by yourself this whole time!

I just switched over from the sailing on 2/1. The 15th was what I originally wanted since my son's birthday is on the 24th, plus he was going to have to miss a big marching band competition with our other cruise. It was just cost that kept us sailing on the 1st -- but now the cost difference is a little less, the $250 OBC from Disney for the sudden itinerary switch helps a *lot*, and we're getting to go to Castaway Cay and to WDW!!!!! DS & I are over the moon. :cloud9:

And hey, 2 weeks later means that much more time for the tax refund to hit the bank account. :thumbsup2

Looking forward to talking to you!

-gina-

Gina, we are joining you in jumping ship from 2/1 to 2/15. Trying to get pumped about WDW since we were just there 5 months ago! Do you happen to know how much time we have at the parks? I am assuming the buses get there by opening but do you know when we have to leave to return to the ship? I want to make sure to get dining reservations when the 180 day window opens on thursday, and am wondering if we will have time for an early dinner or just lunch? I can't seem to find a detailed itinerary for our sailing yet.....

I'm so excited there are others out there cruising with us. I was beginning to wonder! :-)

I got the call yesterday about the change to the itenerary but I haven't actually done any significant research into it. I'm a teacher and we're getting ready for school to start so it's busy busy busy! Hopefully I'll be able to figure everything out in the next few weeks.

I am THRILLED that we'll get to go to Castaway Cay. That's one of the biggest reasons we cruise Disney so it just makes this trip that much better. I don't know about WDW. It's an hour and a half drive each way so that might not be worth it for us. It'll depend on price more than anything.

Gina, we are joining you in jumping ship from 2/1 to 2/15. Trying to get pumped about WDW since we were just there 5 months ago! Do you happen to know how much time we have at the parks? I am assuming the buses get there by opening but do you know when we have to leave to return to the ship? I want to make sure to get dining reservations when the 180 day window opens on thursday, and am wondering if we will have time for an early dinner or just lunch? I can't seem to find a detailed itinerary for our sailing yet.....

Yay! I wish more from our 2/1 group was able to switch to this one! We had such an active group already.. and I *almost* decided on and bought my FE gift supplies -- so glad I didn't now, because my count would have been all wrong. But I am so not crafty -- I really need to get on it soon, or I'll never be finished in time. Lol.

Tyler Dean (DS) & I are having NO trouble getting pumped up about WDW, that's for sure... :hyper: All last night we kept saying, "Are we really going to Castaway Cay?? Are we really really going to WDW???" It seems surreal. This is just a dream itinerary for us... our favorite ship going to our two favorite places in the world, with tons of sea time in between. It just doesn't get any better to either of us! We haven't been to WDW since February '11, and haven't been to CC since February '08.

CC holds so many amazing memories for us... Heck, he even lost his first tooth there! And I remember so clearly our first trip there -- We sat down to lunch at Cookie's, eating our delicious burgers, and "Cheeseburger in Paradise" started playing. We just grinned at each other and knew that it just didn't get any better than that. Airfare has just gotten so insane over the past several years... there has been no way for me to afford DCL *and* airfare to get to Florida. So while I know tons of people are way upset about these changes, it's just like the greatest gift for us. :cloud9:

Sorry to ramble away... The whole thing just seems so surreal still!!
To answer your question, from what others have said who have done the NY cruises where they went to WDW, they were able to be there by park opening if they signed up for the first bus, and I think they said they had to leave by 3pm.

I have been here at work trying to focus all day, but all I can think about is trying to formulate a 1-day touring plan... LOL. We always go in early February, when it's blissfully uncrowded -- but it dawned on me last night that we're going to be there during stupid President's Week!!! What a ridiculous holiday for people to have the entire week off... It's not even a blip on our radar here. Thank goodness the park hours are already up. It looks like MK opens at 9, and it's *not* an EMH morning, thank goodness.

Unfortunately it is EMH at Epcot, our other won't-miss park. I'm thinking we'll do everything in our power to be at rope drop at MK, hit all the things we want to hit, then head to Epcot. If I don't get to ride Mission: Space at least 3 times I will stop breathing. :thumbsup2

I am THRILLED that we'll get to go to Castaway Cay. That's one of the biggest reasons we cruise Disney so it just makes this trip that much better. I don't know about WDW. It's an hour and a half drive each way so that might not be worth it for us. It'll depend on price more than anything.

They said our park hoppers and transportation was included. All we'll have to factor in is food, and that'll just be grab-n-eat stuff. No way I'm wasting that precious park time on sitting down and eating! But that's our normal plan of attack anyway. I can understand how a day like that would be hard for y'all with a little one, though!

OMG, it just dawned on me that we're going to get to see the new Fantasyland expansion!! I didn't think we'd get to for a very long time! It just keeps getting better and better. :woohoo:

(Sorry so long!!)

Well, after spending about 24 hours on the 2/15 sailing list, we are again jumping ship, this time to the 1/18 sailing. It turns out that the 2/15 sailing would have cost our family of 5 $1700 more than the 1/18 sailing, so it was a no brainer. Same intenerary, just different dates.

Gina, thank you for all of the info about the WDW stop. Since we only have until 3:00, we probably won't waste time sitting down & eating either. Although, it would be nice to do Cinderella's Royal Table again while my 3 girls are still young enough. May have to think about that a bit & check to see if they even have reservations left.

Well, after spending about 24 hours on the 2/15 sailing list, we are again jumping ship, this time to the 1/18 sailing. It turns out that the 2/15 sailing would have cost our family of 5 $1700 more than the 1/18 sailing, so it was a no brainer. Same intenerary, just different dates.

Gina, thank you for all of the info about the WDW stop. Since we only have until 3:00, we probably won't waste time sitting down & eating either. Although, it would be nice to do Cinderella's Royal Table again while my 3 girls are still young enough. May have to think about that a bit & check to see if they even have reservations left.

Well shoot. :sad1: But hey, now you get to cruise even sooner! Have a great time!! :goodvibes

Ok, now I'm REALLY excited! I didn't realize that the park tickets were INCLUDED. Holy cow! We didn't think we'd get to see the new Fantasyland stuff for another couple of years but it looks like our girls' wish is coming true early. :banana:

The ship is coming into Galveston on September 22nd. I'm trying to find out more info to see if we can manage a trip out to see her arrive. Of course, I don't know if I (or my kids) can stand to be that close to the Magic and not actually get on board. We shall see.

Plus, I've decided more days at sea means more spa treatments for me. :cloud9: Fortunately my girls will both be old enough for the kid club this time around (we had one in the nursery last time and she didn't like it). I need to look up info and see if the 6 and 3 year olds are together. Hmmm...I've got so much to look up, I need a list!

I also need to order a fish extender mail box thingie. I found some cute ones on Etsy (I'm SO not crafty) so I think I'll get it and give it to the girls for Christmas. I'm so glad my friend told me about the FE. I knew about decorating the doors with magnets from our last trip on the Dream but the fish thing is new.

Ok, getting back to work now. Just had to post how excited I am about the park tickets. One more banana for the road...:banana:

Ok, now I'm REALLY excited! I didn't realize that the park tickets were INCLUDED. Holy cow! We didn't think we'd get to see the new Fantasyland stuff for another couple of years but it looks like our girls' wish is coming true early. :banana:

Yep! A one-day hopper, and transportation! How awesome is that??? And DS & I just thought of the same thing yesterday -- that now we're actually going to get to see the Fantasyland expansion, where before we didn't think we'd get to see it for a very long time! :banana:

The ship is coming into Galveston on September 22nd. I'm trying to find out more info to see if we can manage a trip out to see her arrive. Of course, I don't know if I (or my kids) can stand to be that close to the Magic and not actually get on board. We shall see.

Ohmygosh, it will ramp up the excitement SO much... Because we're so close, and because we love the Island so very much, we're there a whole lot -- and we never get tired of going to see whatever ship(s) are there at the time. We just get more and more excited about whatever cruise is next. :teeth:

And I hope you can join us to be there when the Magic comes in, and for sailaway that afternoon too!! The link to all the plans are in my sig. We're actually spending the night in Galveston the night before, because we need to be at the pier so early and just because it makes it a little mini-vacation. :) We really like the Motel 6 just off of I-45 at (I think) 71st. It's nothing to look at from the outside but pretty cool on the inside since they remodeled it. And for under $50? Perfect.

Let me know if you can join us!!

Plus, I've decided more days at sea means more spa treatments for me. :cloud9: Fortunately my girls will both be old enough for the kid club this time around (we had one in the nursery last time and she didn't like it). I need to look up info and see if the 6 and 3 year olds are together. Hmmm...I've got so much to look up, I need a list!

Oh man, I want to do a spa treatment so bad... They're just so expensive! But I absolutely go to the Rainforest Room a couple times -- that's the most relaxing room I've ever been in in my life!!

As far as the kids go, I know there are times when the 6 and 3 year old might be together, but most of the activities are 3-4 and 5-7. I know my then-6-year-old wouldn't have been caught dead playing with "the babies" when he was in the Club, lol.

Here's some more info for you:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-childrensactivities.htm#oceanclub

I also need to order a fish extender mail box thingie. I found some cute ones on Etsy (I'm SO not crafty) so I think I'll get it and give it to the girls for Christmas. I'm so glad my friend told me about the FE. I knew about decorating the doors with magnets from our last trip on the Dream but the fish thing is new.

The whole FE thing is so fun... But man, some more people need to join this thread here or it's gonna be me & you exchanging stuff!! LOL

Ok, getting back to work now. Just had to post how excited I am about the park tickets. One more banana for the road...:banana:

Here, let me get you excited about one more thing, that I also just realized today -- We'll get to experience the new Test Track!!!!! It sounds like it is going to be sooooooo cool, from what I've read and the concept art I've seen! I can't wait!! :banana: :banana:

OMG. You are seriously killing me. I've decided to blame my new friend Gina for completely getting me off track at work. hehehehehe

So, now I've created myself a little signature (totally modeled it after yours!) and spent about 30 minutes on the DCL website. Thanks for the link to the Oceaneers club. That's gonna be a problem because my 2-year-old has serious issues about being left anywhere. Hopefully she'll grow out of it by then and her sister's excitement will rub off on her. On our last cruise, we couldn't get the older one OUT of the club. Seriously, I had to force her to come to dinner with us one night. Of course, how can I compete with all the coolness they have going on in there?!? More time at the spa for me!

We'll have length-of-stay passes for the RF room so we'll definitely see you in there! I've been saving my Scentsy money for a year (I sell it) to be able to afford spa treatments and I also get to use any on board credits we get (since we booked before we got off last time, we have one already, plus I think I'm getting one for using my Disney Visa). Plus, my husband went to the DVC presentation last time and won like $400 so you know he'll try again this time! *fingers crossed*

I'm hoping more people join us too! I saw your post for the 22nd and we'll SO be there. At least for the sail away. Not sure if I can get there early enough for the arrival but staying sounds like a good idea. Don't think DH will go for it though. We just found out yesterday that DD2 has to have another set of tubes in her ears next week so there goes about $1000 that we weren't planning for. If it's not one thing it's another.

OMG. You are seriously killing me. I've decided to blame my new friend Gina for completely getting me off track at work. hehehehehe

LOL!!! :rotfl: I excel at that sort of thing!! (Mainly sidetracking myself at work... Glad I could share the love! :thumbsup2 )

So, now I've created myself a little signature (totally modeled it after yours!) and spent about 30 minutes on the DCL website. Thanks for the link to the Oceaneers club. That's gonna be a problem because my 2-year-old has serious issues about being left anywhere. Hopefully she'll grow out of it by then and her sister's excitement will rub off on her. On our last cruise, we couldn't get the older one OUT of the club. Seriously, I had to force her to come to dinner with us one night. Of course, how can I compete with all the coolness they have going on in there?!? More time at the spa for me!

How funny, that's exactly how my son has always been since our first cruise when he was turning 6. He would have beeen totally happy if I dropped him off at the kids' club on embarkation day and just picked him up a week later. Now that he's older, I don't even get to drop him off -- he just waves and I get to see the back of his head, lol. If I didn't have the rule that he always eat dinner with me, I would never see him on a cruise! But that's fine, because it makes me so happy that he has such a good time. :goodvibes

I bet your littlest one does just fine! The counselors are seriously so amazing. And I've heard from other parents with multiple kids that they often become more social in those situations where they *don't* have the "crutch" of siblings. I bet it works out just fine for you!

We'll have length-of-stay passes for the RF room so we'll definitely see you in there! I've been saving my Scentsy money for a year (I sell it) to be able to afford spa treatments and I also get to use any on board credits we get (since we booked before we got off last time, we have one already, plus I think I'm getting one for using my Disney Visa). Plus, my husband went to the DVC presentation last time and won like $400 so you know he'll try again this time! *fingers crossed*

I LOVE Scentsy. :lovestruc

Wow, I never knew you could win anything other than keychains and crap at the DVC presentation! What about the spa raffle -- have you ever won anything there?? I've always wanted to go but never made it... There's usually something else going on, like our DIS meet. Right after the muster drill and before sailaway is such a great time to have it, that's usually what we end up doing. Although at this point, it's going to be a mighty small meet!

We'll definitely have to meet up in the RF room together!

Even though switching to 2/15 from 2/1 cost me $400 more, I'll have the $250 OBC from Disney for the inconvenience plus $75 from my TA. And since I'll have to pay the extra $400 at final payment anyway, I'll have all the OBC at my disposal. Bingo time!! :woohoo: And the rest will likely go towards photos and coconut rum, LOL. :rolleyes1

I'm hoping more people join us too! I saw your post for the 22nd and we'll SO be there. At least for the sail away. Not sure if I can get there early enough for the arrival but staying sounds like a good idea. Don't think DH will go for it though. We just found out yesterday that DD2 has to have another set of tubes in her ears next week so there goes about $1000 that we weren't planning for. If it's not one thing it's another.

Ugh, I know how that goes!! Poor baby... did the first set fall out?

And I'm so glad y'all are going to be there for sailaway!!!! I was thinking, though, no one is going to know who anyone is... And I'm sure there are going to be other folks there to watch arrival & especially sailaway. Do you think I should invite people to post pics of themselves to the meet thread?

Okay, you can't just lead me on with your excitement over the cruise, and then just disappear... :sad: You're going to make me start talking to myself! :laughing:

I'm hoping that once they open these new/changed cruises up to the public on the 5th, a bunch more people jump in here. But on the plus side, this will make our FE exchange pretty dang easy!! Lol

Sorry! I'm a teacher and school just started last week so it's been CRAZY busy!! I did find out that they've changed the rules on the kids club so my girls can stay together. :-) That will make them both super-happy (and me too!). Now I've just got to get the little one potty-trained! UGH!

It is weird that it's just two of us on here. Now you know how I've felt for MONTHS all by myself! Then it really WAS just me talking to myself. ;-)

Hi!! I'm sorry, I know you're a teacher, I didn't mean to imply that you should drop what you're doing and post here... I'm just way unaccustomed to meet threads being so dead!! It's creepy, lol.

Glad you survived your first week at school! What grade/subject do you teach?

I was just reading that this weekend, about the kids' club age rule changes... I'm really glad your girls will get to be together, but SO glad they didn't do this when my son was younger!! I told him about it, and he was very happy about that too, lol. Once they're like 7 or 8-ish, the last thing in the world they want -- especially boys -- is to be stuck playing with "the babies." He is very happy that their rule change didn't extend to the teen club. :thumbsup2

So do you like to play bingo? I need a bingo partner! And a trivia partner. ::yes:: I wonder if they still do the Mickey Mania game show?? Tyler Dean & I were on that when he was like 8 or 9, and we had THE best time. We didn't win, but it was so fun. :goodvibes

Tomorrow's the big day that this cruise goes on sale to the public... Can't wait to see who else joins us! :banana:

Have a great day!

-gina-

Howdy Y'all!

We just booked this cruise. We were on the 2012 Thanksgiving cruise, but switched to this one when we saw the new itineraries. I am sooo excited about this new itinerary. And to make things even better, we will be in WDW on my birthday!!! :wizard: (which is one of the main reasons I agreed to pull dd out of school for this cruise.)

We are from the Houston area, and hope to take many cruises out of Galveston. I love being able to cruise from home!!

I see Gina of "welcome the Magic to Galveston" fame is on this cruise. ;) I bet you will be fun to cruise with. Can't wait to meet you on the 22nd.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Howdy Y'all!

We just booked this cruise. We were on the 2012 Thanksgiving cruise, but switched to this one when we saw the new itineraries. I am sooo excited about this new itinerary. And to make things even better, we will be in WDW on my birthday!!! :wizard: (which is one of the main reasons I agreed to pull dd out of school for this cruise.)

We are from the Houston area, and hope to take many cruises out of Galveston. I love being able to cruise from home!!
I see Gina of "welcome the Magic to Galveston" fame is on this cruise. ;) I bet you will be fun to cruise with. Can't wait to meet you on the 22nd.
Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Ohmygosh, you're so funny!! :rotfl: I have fun no matter what I do, but especially when it involves Disney and/or cruising. Cruising is like summer camp for grownups to me -- I think that's why I love sea days so much. And being a single parent since my son was 2, cruising has generally been the only time when I've gotten to live like a grownup, lol. You know, have a couple of drinks... get a massage... have conversations not centered around talking trains/Yu-Gi-Oh/guitar pedals (as the years have progressed, lol.) :laughing:

That is so awesome that we'll be at WDW right on your birthday!!! What perfect timing! My son's birthday is the day after we get back from the cruise. I'm SO excited this year, because for the first time ever, we're going to be someplace Disney right around MY birthday!! We always cruise/go to WDW in February, and DS has always gotten the birthday attention, but we're heading for our first-ever trip to DLR in 23 more days and we'll be there just a few days before my birthday this time. I can't wait! :banana: princess:

Have you cruised out of Galveston before? Can you believe we get to go to Castaway Cay AND Disney World??? We're so excited!!! :hyper:

Have you cruised out of Galveston before? Can you believe we get to go to Castaway Cay AND Disney World??? We're so excited!!! :hyper:

We have not cruised out of Galveston before, but we have taken 2 DCL cruises out of PC. We love DCL! And Castaway Cay is heaven on earth. :cloud9:

Btw, regarding an earlier post, I won a $100 obc at the DVC presentation on our first cruise, and dd won a backpack. :cool1: They do have some nice give-aways, and free mimosas, at those things. I go every time. ;)

We have not cruised out of Galveston before, but we have taken 2 DCL cruises out of PC. We love DCL! And Castaway Cay is heaven on earth. :cloud9:

We are spoiled by it now. Drive less than 30 minutes, with all the luggage I feel like bringing, and get right on the ship! No spending a day visiting airports, having to get a hotel the night before, waiting for the busses to get you to the port, none of that. Just in your living room one minute, and having a drink on deck the next. Or at least it feels that way. :beach:

Btw, regarding an earlier post, I won a $100 obc at the DVC presentation on our first cruise, and dd won a backpack. :cool1: They do have some nice give-aways, and free mimosas, at those things. I go every time. ;)

Well, I think I might just have to attend this time!! You had me at "free mimosas." :rolleyes1

We'll be coming from Georgia. In PC we stay at CI & S where they have cruise parking! Anybody know about "cruise" parking for Galveston and a good place to stay the night before! Thanks

There are 4 of us from Georgia, my wife and I and our 2 sons, 1 who will be 12 and the other turns 14 on the 2nd day of the cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!