yucky tasting/smelling water in Orlando?

lilheathen

Earning My Ears
Anyone know what's up with the gross water here in Orlando? Everywhere we've tasted the water, it tastes like something that's burned, and it smells like a burned heating element! At first we just thought it was the tap water at our villa (we're at the Marriott Grande Vista), but the shower water also smells like a burned heating element (and the exhaust fan had that smell too, which is more expected but a bit alarming).

When we were at SeaWorld yesterday, the water in the drinking fountain had the same awful taste.

We've had to buy gallons of spring water because it's so bad. What gives???

Is this your first trip to Orlando? If so, then you have never experienced Orlando's wonderful tasting - high sulfur (I THINK) water. For a long time, I could not stand to drink Orlando's water - didn't even want to use it to brush my teeth. But after 13 years of Disney trips, I have gotten used to it. Now it just is part of the "Disney experience" for me. ;)

For some reason, some areas of town seem to be worse than others. The MK's water seems to be worse than Epcot's.

You have done the smartest thing, to buy bottled water by the gallon. Or if you have a Brita pitcher or the like, it works well too.

ETA that there is nothing WRONG with the Orlando water, it just TASTES (and smells) bad to many of us who are not used to the mineral content of their water. It is SAFE to drink. ::yes::

Actually the rather over-sized water fountains at the TTC has very good filtered water. I think it's a test phase or something, but there's very few foutains that have good water. And it's extremely cold too.

Welcome to Orlando! Before we lived here, I always associated that distinctive smell with Disney World (although I always thought it was more swampy than "burned"). We'd get to our hotel, I'd turn on the tap, and I instantly knew I was in FL. Now that I live here, I've gotten ussed to it. We use a Pur filter on our home sink, which makes it very tolerable. I can fill water bottles from the Pur and keep them in the fridge for days. If I do that with water straight from the tap, it develops an even more putrid smell overnight.

Ironically, when I visit Chicago now and turn on the tap, it smells to me like pure chlorine. I drank that water for nearly four decades but never noticed when I was always so close to it.

Thanks for the replies! We figured it was safe, but we can't stand the taste, even to take a pill, so we'll stick with the bottled water. My husband was thinking it was sulfur that we were smelling. Sooooo gross.

I haven't been to Orlando in 30 years, but I have no idea if it was this bad then! In central Virginia, where we live, the water gets a gross taste when we've had too much rain! The algae in the reservoirs grow like crazy, then die off and leave a nasty taste...dead plankton! One call to the water authority usually does it, though. They add activated carbon and it clears up. Even then, not delicious, but at least not like this!

The water in Orlando tastes and smells like a swimming pool -- like there's lots of chlorine in the water. That's the one thing my kids say they DON'T like about going to WDW.

The water in Orlando tastes and smells like a swimming pool -- like there's lots of chlorine in the water. That's the one thing my kids say they DON'T like about going to WDW.
It's actually much less than what they use in Chicago...I've lived both places, so you can trust me on that one! I've heard other people say they can smell the chlorine in the FL water tho' so it must be if you're from a place where they use little or no chlorine in the water supply. Well water in FL is very good...they have it where I board my horse, and it's much better than our municipal supply in Kissimmee.

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuben! Sorry I had to do that. It has been a long time since I have seen him around. :)

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuben! Sorry I had to do that. It has been a long time since I have seen him around. :)
LOL! He's my favorite Idol, although I did like both Adam and Kris this years and I love Carrie Underwood.

Almost all of Florida's drinking water comes from the Aquifer. It contributes many things to the taste, including chlorine and limestone.

The funny thing is, when it's 95 degrees outside, the water tastes just fine.

We purchase lots of bottled water. The 2.5 with the built in spigot for the fridge and individual bottles for the parks.

hahahaahahaha!! your 1st time drinking it , your going to think Gross, But it grows on you... I used to live in Orlando & when i moved away i have missed it so much .. I look forward to the taste of the water.. it means i'm home and at disney :thumbsup2

Anyone know what's up with the gross water here in Orlando? Everywhere we've tasted the water, it tastes like something that's burned, and it smells like a burned heating element! At first we just thought it was the tap water at our villa (we're at the Marriott Grande Vista), but the shower water also smells like a burned heating element (and the exhaust fan had that smell too, which is more expected but a bit alarming).

When we were at SeaWorld yesterday, the water in the drinking fountain had the same awful taste.

We've had to buy gallons of spring water because it's so bad. What gives???

We don't drink the water, when i was about 4yo my grandma/grandpa took me to disney and they told me not to drink the water it would make me sick since it was so different then ours. But i drank it anyway they said and yeah not to many hours later i had the squirts they tell me they stuffed toilet paper so they didn't have to worry about it. So i will not allow my daughter to drink it.

Sounds like an old grandparents tale to me...I doubt it was the water.

But you know, our water is of the same quality of Mexico's down here in FLA-USA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter