Your Worst Job Interview

My worst interview was when I was interviewing people to fill a position. One person who looked great on her resume showed up 15 minutes late ok whatever. We sit down in the conference room and she pulls out a Burger King bag. She explained she was late because she stopped for lunch because I scheduled the interview during lunch time (1 pm)and she was hungry. She then proceeded to eat her onion rings, whopper and shake while trying to answer questions. I ended the interview as quick as possible and she asked if she could stay in the conference to finish her lunch @@

Haha! Class!

Probably the interview in which I felt like I was doing really well... until I asked my questions about the company, like one does. And that's when the interviewer was like, "We are hoping for a volunteer."

*sigh* Then don't advertise this as a job.

My worst one was for an internship when I was in college. I was plenty qualified for the position, but the first thing the interviewer said to me was "I always get my interns from my alma mater [different school], but they're making me interview you. So, I guess we might as well get it over with." It went downhill from there. I answered his questions with good/reasonable answers, but he nit-picked every single one. It was kind of surreal.

When I got home, my dad said "So, did you get it, champ?" I replied, "Well... I don't think so..." It was a waste of time for both of us. He had no intention of hiring me, even prior to the interview.

I would've at least had fun answering the questions then... You know, something like this:

Interviewer - Tell me about yourself..
Candidate - Well, I'm 23, single, Pisces and allergic to spiders, you?
Int - Ok, tell me why you think you're qualified for this job?
Can - If you can't read, that says a ton about you, but it's on my resume, so tell me, why do you think I'm qualified for this job?
Int - Um, well...
Can - Hmm, well then, I'm sorry, we're going to have to get someone to re-examine why you're able to interview people.
Int - Get out.
Can - Can I speak with your supervisor?

That'd be fun as could be.

I'd never do that, but I'm sure if the right time came up in a bad interview that this could really make it at least memorable.

I would've at least had fun answering the questions then... You know, something like this:

Interviewer - Tell me about yourself..
Candidate - Well, I'm 23, single, Pisces and allergic to spiders, you?
Int - Ok, tell me why you think you're qualified for this job?
Can - If you can't read, that says a ton about you, but it's on my resume, so tell me, why do you think I'm qualified for this job?
Int - Um, well...
Can - Hmm, well then, I'm sorry, we're going to have to get someone to re-examine why you're able to interview people.
Int - Get out.
Can - Can I speak with your supervisor?

That'd be fun as could be.

I'd never do that, but I'm sure if the right time came up in a bad interview that this could really make it at least memorable.

Oh, if I'd only had the guts to do something like that! That would have been funny.

At the time, I was young and inexperienced at interviewing and even after he said that I still gave it my best shot. I swear though, if I'd said the sky was blue, he would have told me that I clearly don't know anything about color. No matter what I said, it was wrong (even when I know it was right.)

Oh, if I'd only had the guts to do something like that! That would have been funny.

At the time, I was young and inexperienced at interviewing and even after he said that I still gave it my best shot. I swear though, if I'd said the sky was blue, he would have told me that I clearly don't know anything about color. No matter what I said, it was wrong (even when I know it was right.)

Yeah, I'm also one that hates this whole online application process. Granted, I'm trying to find a job several states away so I am thankful for it, but closer to home, it's a pain. To know that you're spending a good deal of time on each sites app page to submit things, and all it takes is 1 click or even preset screening tools to undo that time. So yeah, I'm just gonna keep applying and hoping for the best.

I went to one interview like that. I strongly suspect the position was already filled by an internal candidate, but they were required to interview outside candidates as well. The interviewer seemed bored and was just going through the motions, left the room for a several minutes, checked his phone a few times, stared out the window, etc.

A while back I did a phone interview. And it was kind of surreal. I noticed that I'd gotten an email by the hiring manager but it got lost in a sea of messages. When I reviewed the email it seemed kind of standard. Later he leaves a voice message for me. In that he literally says that they need to interview other candidates as part of the sponsorship process for an employee they're trying to get a green card for. I had minimal qualifications for the job, but the company had a copy of my resume.

I took his call anyways since I figured I had nothing to lose. I mentioned I wasn't necessarily interested in the job per se, but he went through the motions and clearly explained that they had an existing employee on an H-1B that they were looking to sponsor for a green card. I was looking for a job, and I figured he probably knew someone there who might be interested in hiring someone with my qualifications.

Target. Has to be Target. While in college I get called for an interview for department X (something to do with the stock room itself). Get to the store, tell them my name do the stupid computer test they have you do. Guy comes out to interview me. "So what job did you apply for?" I tell him, "we don't hire outside for that department it is an internal transfer only." Okay, but on my application I can clearly see the sticky note attached to it saying interview for dept. X but whatever, 'I guess if we offer you a job you could stock then move into dept. X after a few months if we need someone." Go in the room with the guy, he isn't having any of it. Looking every place in the room but at me, checking his phone. Even replied to a few texts. I know this interview is going no place.

After him asking about about work experience, he asks me to tell him about myself. Give him the normal stuff, engaged blah, blah and so on. He asks what her name is and I tell him, thinking nothing of it, maybe this guy is trying to connect on some level. He leaves the room and comes back "Is she Japanese, Jewish, or Arabic?" So I guess he Googled what her name means, I got up and left. Giving him a few words as I was leaving.

I was getting a job in inventory with the company I already worked for, the interbiew was just a formality thing, the head of personal was a super nce lady and was joking with me, she said "jaso, to get a job inn inventory you have to be able to count, can you count, I know you can count to 10, or 20 with yuor shoes off, I got nervous and was trying to be funny and I said, 'well I can count to 21 if I take off all my clothes" :scared:

I was getting a job in inventory with the company I already worked for, the interbiew was just a formality thing, the head of personal was a super nce lady and was joking with me, she said "jaso, to get a job inn inventory you have to be able to count, can you count, I know you can count to 10, or 20 with yuor shoes off, I got nervous and was trying to be funny and I said, 'well I can count to 21 if I take off all my clothes" :scared:
I can only count to 20 and a half

I applied for a high school English teaching position in a small suburban school. The vice-principal who interviewed me was guy who was wearing very short shorts and put both his feet up on top of the desk leaving a large gap up the leg of his shorts. I kept my eyes on his face, but felt very uncomfortable with his position.

He asked me if I could be any kind of animal what would I be, and if I could have dinner with any 3 people, living or dead, who would they be. When I named my 3 people he questioned why I had left out Jesus. He asked if I could coach any sports , and I said no, but I could take on speech team, or debate. He told me nobody cared about those things! I left feeling like I'd been slimed. As I crossed the crispy brown grass that made up the school lawn, the sprinkler system came on and thoroughly soaked me. I did not get a callback interview.

I applied for a high school English teaching position in a small suburban school. The vice-principal who interviewed me was guy who was wearing very short shorts and put both his feet up on top of the desk leaving a large gap up the leg of his shorts. I kept my eyes on his face, but felt very uncomfortable with his position.

My first interview in the electronics industry (was looking for an internship) I showed up in a suit. I figured out then and there what Silicon Valley "business casual" was. All three interviewers were woman in clean but totally casual clothing that I had no idea was appropriate for the setting. It wasn't anything that would be crazy on the street, but they were wearing tight jeans, shorts, and a couple even had skin and underwear kind of peeking out the back.

It wasn't a bad interview, but that was just odd for someone who was always told to dress up for an interview.

Once there was a job that I didn't want and I was on unemployment so I could not turn down a job.
So the man asked me "Where I See Myself Tomorrow?"
I was going to the horse track the next day so I answered.
"Tomorrow I'm going to the track"
He looked at me and said "We don't have a sense of humor here."

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter