Your Unpopular Opinions

I teach my kids: If someone hit you you use your words (stop it I dont like it), If they hit you again you involve an adult, if they hit you again-you punch them in the face.

You're a much more gracious parent than I to teach your kids this. If someone hits my kids they aren't likely going to give that person 3 hits before they return the punch. Now, I suppose it matters what age they are...when they were little they wouldn't have hit back immediately. But now that they are all teenagers or older I would bet they would all return the punch after the first hit.

You're a much more gracious parent than I to teach your kids this. If someone hits my kids they aren't likely going to give that person 3 hits before they return the punch. Now, I suppose it matters what age they are...when they were little they wouldn't have hit back immediately. But now that they are all teenagers or older I would bet they would all return the punch after the first hit.
Yes I was thinking the same thing. In elementary school the rule was to skip to number 2 (get an adult) and then to 3 (hit them back).

In 6th grad someone did punch me... The teacher was practically right next to us (she saw it) and I didn't hit back... Honestly I barely would have had time if I wanted to. Dad was actually mad at me for not hitting back (I was only hit once, it knocked off my glasses but didn't even leave a bruise or break them or anything)

In my opinion, everything should be closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day except for gas stations, hotels, hospitals - just the necessary for life stuff. Maybe the random grocery store could be open for a few hours that day. That's how it was when I was a kid and I like it that way! :)

Send your kid to kindergarten when they are of age. Don't hold them back a year to "give them an advantage". A big pet peeve of mine that certainly is against the norm nowadays- DD was almost 2 full years younger than some of her classmates in elementary school because we sent her to kindergarten based on her birthday, while others held their kids back (then they still had to repeat a grade). And then one of her teachers criticized her for being "less mature than some of her classmates". Of course she is- she is the correct age for her grade and other kids should be 2 grades up!!

I agree with so many opinions on this thread, but this one I LOVE! I think it's the most frustrating for me because it IS such an "unpopular" opinion where I live. 9 moms out of 10 seem to say- oh hold them back, especially for boys! :crazy2: I think it's absolutely ABSURD to have kids turning 7 in Kindergarten!!! Our state adjusted the cut off date from December 31 to September 1. It used to be only the fall birthday kids that would be held back. Now that the date is Sep 1, people are holding back kids with May, June, July birthdays so they won't be the youngest ones in the class. I cant WAIT until we have classes full of 19 and 20 year old seniors in high school telling their parents off because they aren't children and don't need to listen to them.

Teenagers are pretty awesome people.

If you are a SAHM with healthy kids in school full time, you have won the life lottery. Quit complaining about how busy and stressed you are, and embrace the joy of having eight hours to yourself every day to get things done and do what you want. Own it.

If the only place you vacation is Orlando, you're missing out on a lot of what the world has to offer.

I agree with so many opinions on this thread, but this one I LOVE! I think it's the most frustrating for me because it IS such an "unpopular" opinion where I live. 9 moms out of 10 seem to say- oh hold them back, especially for boys! :crazy2: I think it's absolutely ABSURD to have kids turning 7 in Kindergarten!!! Our state adjusted the cut off date from December 31 to September 1. It used to be only the fall birthday kids that would be held back. Now that the date is Sep 1, people are holding back kids with May, June, July birthdays so they won't be the youngest ones in the class. I cant WAIT until we have classes full of 19 and 20 year old seniors in high school telling their parents off because they aren't children and don't need to listen to them.

I completely agree with this! Especially if the child is being held back just because they are small. However, academically kindergarten is no longer coloring and cutting and counting. They are expected to full on read before entering first grade and some people are a bit slower to learn than others. The teachers (some of them) are quick to recommend the pre schooler or kindergartener be held back if they are not there yet.

I am convinced they got away with this advanced curriculum because of the first people who began to hold their kids back. They could handle it so everyone else was expected to work up to that level, which forced other parents to hold their kids back because they knew the child was not ready to read a full book at that point, or do basic algebra! They should have kept the curriculum where it was, rather than advancing it.

I hate coffee. It just tastes like hot mud to me. I've tried lots of different types and flavors and it's all just gross to me.

I love Peeps. The staler the Peep, the better it tastes. I can easily eat a box a day (12 peeps boxes, not the 4 peep boxes). I prefer to open up a box and let it "air out" for a day before I eat them. Everyone else thinks I'm gross for it. But, hey, at least they don't steal my Peeps! :cloud9:

I think a HS diploma or GED should be required for everyone. It's never made any sense to me that we allow a 16 yr old to make the decision to drop out. Every year 10s of thousands of kids drop out. We will be supporting most of them for the rest of their lives, as well as their children. A few more I have learned are very unpopular opinions:

I don't really like the movie "Back to the Future"

Getting up early to make the rope line sounds horrible, I'll take the sleep and stay late

I will not provide alcohol for my 20 yr old DS, or his friends

All inclusive resorts in Mexico, no thanks, never again no matter how many stars they have.

In the last 2 months we have vacationed in Key West and Chicago. So many beggars, and yeah, they all had smart phones and cigarettes. The price of a pack of smokes would feed a family for a day. Saw 2 people 6 blocks apart in Chicago that had a nearly identical story spelled out on their cardboard signs. It's like an industry now. One guy just sat there saying "Help me...help me". Can I help you up so you can go get a job? "Now Hiring" signs in many nearby windows.

I lived in Florida for a short time, and panhandlers there are especially bad. I have seen panhandlers walking in-between cars at traffic lights and forcing the cars to dodge them when the light changes, banging on car windows and yelling at people who “ignore” them, and having children or pets with them to gain sympathy and encourage people to give them money. I know someone who would hand them their business card and tell them to use him for a job reference. As far as I know, he never got a call.

I think we should have more vocational training emphasized. Not every kid is going to go to (or finish) college, and that is okay. AND vocational training doesn't hurt people who go on to higher education. (I worked in a daycare for several years while I went through college and graduate school)

try living in a state where enrollment and attendance isn't required until age 8 :faint:-yup, it may not be the norm but it happens that kids turn 9 in kindergarten here (esp. if their 8th birthday falls after the school year enrollment deadline cuz then you've got the entire rest of the school year to keep them home before you are required to send them the following fall when they may just be a few months shy of 9).

I lived in Florida for a short time, and panhandlers there are especially bad. I have seen panhandlers walking in-between cars at traffic lights and forcing the cars to dodge them when the light changes, banging on car windows and yelling at people who “ignore” them, and having children or pets with them to gain sympathy and encourage people to give them money. I know someone who would hand them their business card and tell them to use him for a job reference. As far as I know, he never got a call.

Homeless in CO has gotten increasingly worse now that we have recreational pot. Young males are coming to the state because we've empowered them to be worthless and there is no fear of getting a felony and going to jail. So to tie it into the thread - my unpopular opinion is that every state should legalize pot so people stop coming to my state!

try living in a state where enrollment and attendance isn't required until age 8 :faint:-yup, it may not be the norm but it happens that kids turn 9 in kindergarten here (esp. if their 8th birthday falls after the school year enrollment deadline cuz then you've got the entire rest of the school year to keep them home before you are required to send them the following fall when they may just be a few months shy of 9).
That just does not make any sense to me. My daughter is 8 (will be 9 next month) and she is in the 4th grade. Here in Ontario you do not have to enroll your child until 1st grade, you can skip kindergarten if you feel your child is not ready for school however you cannot hold them back. It goes by the year you were born here. For example all kids born in 2009 are now in the first grade. If your child was born dec 31st 2009 you cannot hold them back, they still have to be in the first grade.

Kindergarten runs for two years here, so this year kids born in 2010 and 2011 are eligible but next year all the kids born in 2010 will move up to first grade to make room for kids born in 2012. Hope I make sense!

You are not a "hero" based on your profession. You become a hero based on your actions.

Bingo. Not every single person in the military is a ‘hero’. If they are, then it diminishes the word.

Do I appreciate the fact that you raised your right hand and took an oath to defend the constitution, this great nation, and by proxy, me? Yes, I do. More than I can say. But just wearing the uniform does not make anyone a hero.

John Ripley, Dick Winters, veterans of the Battle of the Bulge and Iwo Jima, for example. These are heroes.

Homeless in CO has gotten increasingly worse now that we have recreational pot. Young males are coming to the state because we've empowered them to be worthless and there is no fear of getting a felony and going to jail. So to tie it into the thread - my unpopular opinion is that every state should legalize pot so people stop coming to my state!

Heck, legalize marijuana everywhere because (in my perhaps unpopular opinion) it is the same as alcohol and should be sold and taxed in the same manner. Anyone recall the concept of prohibition? People don’t seem to have a problem with alcohol being sold everywhere now. I am telling you – in 20 years MJ will be legal everywhere and we’ll sit around and say, “Remember when it was illegal? Heck, tons of people even went to jail for it!”

I agree pot should be legalized everywhere. CO has also seen great benefits that should be recognized by the rest of the country.

While I agree with a previous poster that alcohol is not needed for a good time, in many instances it does enhance the experience. Not sloppy drunk, but a fine wine with a good meal is to be savored. And it did make Chuckie Cheese more bearable :rotfl:Same goes for a good joint, not that I have smoked since the 70's. Not necessary, but something else to be enjoyed.

Rescue people, get off everybody's back. If somebody wants a purebred dog from an ethical breeder, that is their choice and does not make them monsters. Rescue organizations would be far better off lobbying for more restrictions on puppy mills and education about backyard breeders and designer mutts than they are ridiculing people who choose to responsibly buy a dog. Get rid of irresponsible breeders and you get rid of puppies in shelters. It is not the buyer, it is the producer.

No one group owns December. There are many groups that celebrate different things, so if somebody wants to acknowledge that and say Happy Holidays, it is not attacking any one group.

And my most unpopular opinion: I prefer Universal Orlando over Disney. Universal Studios' new areas are better themed than Disney. They have better rides. And you can still experience a fun theme park vacation without having to obsessively plan 6 months out. Love staying on site with express pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter