Your Opinion on the Fairytale Magic Package

stlrod

DIS Veteran
In other threads, I've noticed that people have been expressing opinions on the new package. I thought it might be nice to start on a thread devoted to that topic. In my opinion, the value of the package is being somewhat overstated since most people do not buy UMP. Nevertheless, I think it's a great marketing ploy by Disney. With attendance down and what I perceive as an an ever-increasing threat from Universal and Seaworld (both of whom have new attractions this year), they needed to do something to get people to their parks and to stay onsite. As for me, there is not much value in the package as I do not stay onsite for more than 3 nights. In fact, it's kind of made me glad I already planned a Universal/Seaworld vacation. I do believe the package is going to generate a lot more interest in Disney (and hence, bring crowds). So, what are your thoughts?

These are my budgeting figures from my planning over the last 6 months.
8 nights at WL (rack rates, waiting for a code)..$1900. Passes for 2 adults and 1 child were $700. We were only planning on doing the parks for 5 days and had 2 previous passes with 1 day left on each. So, we were looking to spend $2600, hopefully get it down to $200 with some great code rates. And spend two days doing non-park stuff to save money.
With FT deal, we have moved over to Polynesian(my dd's dream come true!) and will be able to do all the parks every day, if we want, and we are spending $2496. So, we are spending less than our 'rack rate' deal. If codes did come out for room only rates, we might have gotten WL for a lot less. But, I'm happy being able to be at the Polynesian and do the parks whenever I want. 8 nights at the Polynesian using the normal DreamMaker plan would have been $3767. THat's $1271 in my pocket, sort of.

I think this Fairytale Vacation Package promotion is going to be HUGE.

First of all, it's really an excellent deal for those who want a package. Since you get both room and tickets at a deep discount, it's very hard to pass up.

Second, Disney is planning a massive advertising/PR campaign to promote it, with the aim of getting every room filled. It's intended to "jump start" the summer/fall season and get people traveling again. It's also intended to get people back to buying packages. Disney has been amping up its sales and marketing departments and getting them excited about this promo for the past week.

It's true that most of us who are many-times repeat visitors to WDW may not need or want Ultimate Park Hopper passes, either because we have Annual Passes or because we would rather buy regular Hoppers that have days that don't expire. Or perhaps we've done it all and don't plan to use the "extras" like water parks, DisneyQuest and Pleasure Island.

However, it's important to recognize that we are far from being the "average bear." The average family visiting WDW buys a package and stays 4 nights. This offer is going to get those people to stay for 7 nights at the same price -- and buy all those extra meals, souvenirs, etc. It's a brilliant move on Disney's part.

Because of 9/11, the economy and the war, things have been bad in the travel industry. Consequently Disney has been doing unprecedented discounting. For the past 18 months in particular, we've all gotten used to having access to loads of low-priced rooms (through "room only" discount codes and Annual Pass rates), but if this promotion succeeds, I think we will see far fewer.

It's sad for all of us "bargain hounds," but that's economic reality. After all, the whole point of those discounts (from Disney's perspective) was to fill excess rooms that were left over. I think there will be a lot less "leftovers" when this promotion gets through. Disney would much prefer to sell those rooms in package form, and I think this promotion will succeed in jumpstarting that.

Just my .02 -- take it for what it's worth!

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Thanks Mary for putting into words just how I feel. I agree completely with your .02 worth. Can't imagine Disney coming out with great rates for room only now. That's why I jumped on this one.

Hi.. I am a DC member and I have a holiday booked room only + 7 day park hopper plus's.

I called and was quoted for the fairytale package and it was 300.00 more than what I am paying now with things separate.

I never have any luck with discounts and I'm used to [aying full rates.. oh well.

>>^..^<<

please help me out as I'm relatively new to this.

Will this package decrease the likelihood of AP rates? I was thinking of buying an AP for my June trip (its a conference,better room rate than AP rate) and then using it for November trip. the number of days i'll use the AP for parks doen't quite cover its price,but I was thinking thats OK because it will probably save me money on my room in Nov. Is that no longer the case?

Thanks.

Seems like it can be (depending on where you want to stay) a good deal IF you need a package with passes. On another post I saw what someone was quoted for the Poly GV for two adults for 7 nights. It was a little cheaper than what someone would have paid for the Poly with the recent AP discounts and discounted passes.

It will be interesting to see how things play out, but I have seen more than a few indications that packages my be the direction that Disney is leaning in. Good if they can fill the rooms that way, bad for the bargain hunter who likes to put together their own 'package'.

what do you mean a holiday booked room..Holiday Inn?? You would be the only person I have heard that hasn't gotten a big discount..it is averaging 40+% off from rack rate...

We (2 adults, 2children under 9) were going to stay at POR for 7 night with AAA discount and 7 day PHP tix for $2073...we have not received a quote yet for a pkg as we are not DC members, but figuring things at rack rate we hope to move over to the BC for 7 nights for only $2314...upgrade to a deluxe for only $250 more for 7 nights...I think that is a great deal!!! Staying at POR with this pkg would be about $1600 total

I do not anticipate any other room only codes coming out for the summer/fall...

<<^..^>> -

When you called for that quote, would they have allowed you to switch from park hopper passes to UPH?

I was thinking about calling to check this out, but I have already made a reservation for 8 nights and purchased the 7 day PHP (why did I get these so soon?!?)and didn't know if they would let me "upgrade" them with full credit toward UPH's with the package.

Anyone know if this can be done?

I'm afraid to call and find out how much I "could" have saved if I hadn't ordered the PHP so far in advance!
:(

Originally posted by princess lovers mom
what do you mean a holiday booked room..Holiday Inn??
My punctuation was missing...

I have a holiday booked, room only at BC & AKL with Park Hopper ++'s.

Not the Holiday Inn!!

LOL

>>^..^<<

Originally posted by LoriR
<<^..^>> -

When you called for that quote, would they have allowed you to switch from park hopper passes to UPH?

:(
Hi.. you have to take the UPH with the fairytale package... I would have just kept my 7 day park hopper +'s for another trip or sold them on eBay.

>>^..^<<

Oh!! I wish we here inthe states went on holiday rather that vacation, it sound so much more proper!!

I still don't understand why it would not be cheaper...is it beacause you are changing resorts..
you don't have to go into all the specifics with me if you don't want...just curious..

denise

>>^..^>>

I think the reason the package isn't working for you is because you are changing resorts. So at BC you are paying for 4nights and getiing 2 free and at AKL your not getting any free nights because your paying for 4 and getting 4.
So your staing 10 nights but only getting 2FREE!!

I think you'd be better off staying at one resort for 7 nights that way 3 would be free and then pay whatever you were paying for the last 3 nights.

I actually read somewhere that if you pay for 8 nights you can get 6 free. Maybe you could pay the extra night and stay an extra 4!!!!!! sounds good to me!!!

IMHO, this package is geared towards people who are not neccessarily Dis nuts like we all are. I'm sure most people just either use a travel agent or call WDW direct, with very little shopping and very little knowledge of codes. We go often enough that the UPH is not the best way for our family. I think like someone else posted, if you arrive later on the day of arrival and early of departure day, in reality you are losing 2 days off the passes.

I BOOKED THE WILDERNESS LODGE FOR 9/10 - 9/20 FOR MYSELF, DH AND 2 KIDS FOR 1938.81. I THINKS THIS IS A GREAT DEAL. I AM SO EXCITED. I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF I CAN SQUEEZE ANOTHER VACATION IN FOR THAT TIME PERIOD. YEE HAA.:Pinkbounc

We're going in August(9 nights) and planning on getting AP's since I know we'll definitely be back within the 12 month span.

I *almost* changed to the FTP but my instincts are telling me to stick it out for an AP rate. The last time I didn't listen to them was when I was booking a moderate for my November trip and something told me to go with the CBR instead, I didn't and then of course the whoile closing thing happened and people got amazing upgrades-lol.

So this time I'm listening to my gut and sticking it out, I think-lol.

if you arrive later on the day of arrival and early of departure day, in reality you are losing 2 days off the passes.
Yes but if you're paying for only 4 nights for the room and passes but staying for 7 nights, aren't 3 days of the UPH free? ~:D~

I don't usually book packages but this new Fairytale package seemed like a good deal to me so I called CRO this morning and book it. I got a price of $1,674.29 for 6 nights at the Wilderness Lodge; she told me this includes the UPH passes which include the 4 theme parks, DisneyQuest, water parks, pleasure Island, a special pin, and a framed disney character photo. I usually book a room only using a code and buy park hoppers at the resort with my Disney Club discount. I can't seem to find out what the park hoppers are now with the DC discount and can I still buy them at the resort? I also got quotes for the following hotels for our timeframe (August 16-22):
Grand Flo $2,298.77
POR $1,429.01
Boardwalk $2,075.69

All are standard view and a $200 deposit is due by 5/20/03. Can anyone tell me is this a truly a bargain? Thanks to all :)

Oops...guess that info would be helpful. We are two adults and one Junior age 13.

:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter