Your Favorite Home Remedy

*NikkiBell*

Livin’ that DVC & AP life!
You're sick. You're miserable. You've used every tissue in the house and then some. You've whined to your support group. You've purchased every cold medicine on the shelf...and then...oh no wait, that's me. ;) :rolleyes1

I've been sick all weekend, but it got me thinking. A lot of people do not use medicine to get themselves better. I know that I keep (or used to - slacked the past few months hence why I'm now sick) regimen of Silver Needle white tea, peppermint herbal, and Bangkok lemongrass tea. It's what Teavana calls a "flu shot." What home remedies do you use for common ailments?

For sore throats, I steep an orange tea bag (or regular tea if you can't find orange) in hot apple juice, and enjoy. It smells really good and tastes pretty yummy too.

I hope you feel better soon!!

Clove oil for toothaches. Tastes nasty, but is amazing how fast and long it works.

I have to admit, unless it's been medically confirmed as useful, I don't tend to buy into it.

However a bit of comfort food or drink (for me it's peppermint tea), lots of fluid and a cosy blanket is always helpful!

I have to admit, unless it's been medically confirmed as useful, I don't tend to buy into it.

However a bit of comfort food or drink (for me it's peppermint tea), lots of fluid and a cosy blanket is always helpful!

I agree. Many people swear by homeopathic remedies, but they are not medically proven effective. At worst they can harm health, at best they are a waste of money.

Home remedies may work well, but part of it may be psychological comfort. Warm tea, blanket, cuddly dog, cat, or Teddy bear can work wonders.

I do not usually drink hot beverages. When I do not feel well, I drink hot tea with lemon and honey. Since I do not usually drink hot stuff, this concoction is confirmation that I am really sick! The memory of my mother making it for me makes me feel better.

One "home remedy" I think works and is medically proven to help sinus problems is the neti pot.

To stop hiccups, I put a long handled butter knife into a glass of water. Put the handle of the knife up against my temple while slowly drinking the water. Works EVERY time!

To stop hiccups, I put a long handled butter knife into a glass of water. Put the handle of the knife up against my temple while slowly drinking the water. Works EVERY time!

Oh, hiccups! My father taught us to light a match and swirl it around in a glass of water, then drink the water. Where did he ever learn that?! Something about the sulfur, he said. I don't remember if it worked or not.

I agree. Many people swear by homeopathic remedies, but they are not medically proven effective. At worst they can harm health, at best they are a waste of money.

Home remedies may work well, but part of it may be psychological comfort. Warm tea, blanket, cuddly dog, cat, or Teddy bear can work wonders.

I do not usually drink hot beverages. When I do not feel well, I drink hot tea with lemon and honey. Since I do not usually drink hot stuff, this concoction is confirmation that I am really sick! The memory of my mother making it for me makes me feel better.

One "home remedy" I think works and is medically proven to help sinus problems is the neti pot.

People in Asia have been drinking a wide variety of teas for thousands of years. There are teas for everything. My ex's father was given a specific type of tea from Teavana for his diabetes. His numbers went down dramatically and it was the only thing that he changed in his diet or lifestyle. I am not sure if there's been medical evidence about the use of fresh teas, but I 100% believe in them. In fact, the manager of the Teavana I used to go to told me that a hospital in northern NJ used to give her mother white tea before and after infusion treatments for lupus. It provided the added antioxidants to help her compromised immune system.

Kate, peppermint tea is known to aid in nausea and IBS symptoms. It doesn't surprise me that you find it comforting!! :thumbsup2

Nikki, I am really sorry that you are not feeling well.
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, so I will not give any advice.

My current troubles have been "seasonal allergies". When I was thirty and still living in New Jersey, I went to the doctor with such a miserable cold. Runny nose, watery eyes, body aches, head ache. I was told it was allergies. Allergies?!!
I thought allergies were something only men had since my father and my brother took little yellow allergy pills - Chlortrimeton / Chlorpheniramine Maleate Antihistamine.
With all the many more allergy remedies available today, I have tried many and still have not found the right one. I keep a box of tissues close by.

I do hope you feel better soon, Nikki. :goodvibes

I wouldn't call it a remedy but for a sore throat, I add Scotch to Lyn's hot tea with lemon and honey.

I'm sorry you are sick. It isn't fair to get sick when school ends (or is ending).

We use emergen-c drink mixes. I like the orange, dh likes the raspberry. Seems to give me an energy boost when I'm sick!

For hiccups I hold my breath and swallow as many times as I can until I have to finally take a breath. Works every time.

I don't do anything special for a cold or the flu, but for babies rashes and pink eye breastmilk works wonders. ;)

I wouldn't call it a remedy but for a sore throat, I add Scotch to Lyn's hot tea with lemon and honey.

I'm sorry you are sick. It isn't fair to get sick when school ends (or is ending).

Oh, yeah...I'm all for this. :goodvibes

Clove oil for toothaches. Tastes nasty, but is amazing how fast and long it works.

This is 1000% true and trust me...if you ever have a really bad toothache....get some.

You can send "thank you" cards later.;)

If I feel a cold coming on (that raspy feeling in the back of my throat) I take a massive (3000mg) dose of Vitamin C, and more often than not, I don't get the cold, or it's very mild.

Sayhello

We have a product here called Cold FX. It is ginsing in a capsule. I took it for a month before our trip to Florida to prevent getting sick, it worked.

Too bad my hubby didn't take it he got strep throat on our trip.

I also make a hot toddy whenever I feel very stuffy and sick. It is rye, honey and lemon in water. I drink it right before bed. It always helps me sleep better and it does help me feel better the next day. I have to laugh cause my hubby knows I am feeling really awful when I make it.

whenever I have a cold I go to my local Chinese take out and order two orders of Won Ton Soup. Put them in a big bowl and snuggle up on the couch with it. Eat what I can.. inhale as much of the vapor as I can and I start to feel better.

Chicken soup works too..not as good and Won Ton.

While I'm all for home remedies, I have discovered the ultimate preventative treatment for all common illnesses: I wash my hands frequently!:thumbsup2

You can imagine the germs I encounter every day working as a school librarian. YIKES! I'm careful not to eat or do things like rub my eyes or nose unless I've washed my hands. Works wonders....I haven't had a single illness for over 3 years....not even a cold!

Note: I wash my hands more often right before my Disney trips...it seems that the kids/teachers at school are the sickest during February, which is when I usually travel. Nobody wants to be sick at Disney!:goodvibes

I'm a big fan of the Neti Pot. Does it cure actual infections? No! But it cleans out whatever is up there so it has less of a chance of getting infected in the first place. We have had a heck of a season with the pollen up here and I have been Neti Potting several times a week. It feels weird, but much better than taking an allergy pill (which makes my blood pressure go nuts!).

I like Teavana teas as well. Again, I'm not sure they cure anything, but for me, it's more about getting your system rinsed out. If you drink a lot of tea (or even plain water) then stuff isn't lingering in your body and causing trouble.

Hope you feel better!
-H

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter