Your Favorite Grand Villas and Why....

7 is a very likely number where we would get a Treehouse. But 2 of the participants would be under the age of 9.
The Treehouses are really nice, though they are really far from everything if you don't have a car -- and the entrance to the Treehouses is gated, so uber/lyft cannot pick you up/drop you off at your treehouse. We were along the river near the bus station and didn't have a car, so it felt like eternity to get anywhere (as we were far enough away that it was too long a walk back to the main SSR. So we had to catch a bus to the main area, then a bus there to the parks).

We had 9 people in the Treehouse, when we took my brother's siblings & their kids to Disney for a long weekend last July - 5 adults, 2 teens, and 2 twin kids age 9. It was a little crowded, but it was still fine, and we all really enjoyed being together. I think the only challenge was that one of the adults was in the sleeper chair and not thrilled with not having their own room. ;-) Also remember that the third bedroom is small, and has bunk beds, not 2 queens. And the second bedroom has only one queen.

Also, a VERY important learning for the Treehouse is that the central air is controlled in the main living space, and that if you shut the doors to the bedrooms and someone turns off the AC, those bedrooms can get very warm overnight in July. ;-) (Not that I know this from personal experience or that my Brother-in-Law kept turning off the AC rather than using a blanket instead of a sheet....)

All this being said, we would absolutely do the Treehouses again, especially if we were doing a resort stay and/or had a car rental.

Everyone says do not rent the Treehouse without a having access to a vehicle! We are certainly taking that notion to heart!

At WDW we have stayed in grand villas at:
VGF
BLT
SSR (many times)
AKV-Kidani

Our absolute favorite is VGF. It is the most luxurious, spacious, the finishes are just gorgeous. It’s light and bright and just incredible. We are planning to stay there again on our next visit if we are able to snag it at 7 months.

We have enjoyed every grand villa we have stayed in for different reasons, but VGF is the clear favorite for us. It even gives the Aulani grand villa a run for its money. The Aulani grand villa was our favorite until we stayed at VGF. Aulani wins for the view but the actual villa at VGF is so gorgeous.
I can't wait to take the family to Aulani. We are waiting until the youngest is 3 so he can go to Auntie whatshername's with his sister and cousins. We toured the GV the last time we were there and would probably say Vero Beach would still be a favorite for the proximity to the beach, pool and just overall comfiness and unpretentiousness of the cottage and resort. I don't know, it will be interesting to see which the family likes the most. I would guess Aulani might be a one and done for the kids because of the 9 hour flight. I have heard they are doing more impromptu DVC tours so maybe I will ask if the GV is available to peak in at when we are down next month. Thanks for sharing.

We have had a Beach Cottage a few times and a week long stay in a Grand Villa in Aulani. Those were wonderful stays, no doubt about it.

I think the cabins at CC are extremely special. Those would more likely be in my future rather than a GV. Just because of the time in my life. We have had two stays so far in one of those.

How hard is GV availability @ 7 months? Finally up to an annual point allotment where I can pool points for these, and have some grand multi-generational ideas for trips (we had one with a 2 BR and 1 BR at OKW on a passholder deal a while back, plan was supposed to be a cruise, but that's off the table until who knows when). I would think with so few of them per resort it would be difficult in general?

How hard is GV availability @ 7 months? Finally up to an annual point allotment where I can pool points for these, and have some grand multi-generational ideas for trips (we had one with a 2 BR and 1 BR at OKW on a passholder deal a while back, plan was supposed to be a cruise, but that's off the table until who knows when). I would think with so few of them per resort it would be difficult in general?

Just anecdotal and probably depends on time of year, but I usually see VGF, CCV, AKV, SSR, RIV, BLT available at 7 months.

OKW And BWV seem to be taken more often by the 7 month mark.

Again, just anecdotal. There is always lots of grand villa availability at different resorts when we book right at 7 months. We stay in a grand villa every 18 months or so. Perhaps availability will change with people delaying trips from this year to next, etc., but in “normal times” it seemed like the only difficult resorts are OKW and BWV. The higher points GVs seem to be easier to get.

Is there a grand villa you have your eye on?

Just anecdotal and probably depends on time of year, but I usually see VGF, CCV, AKV, SSR, RIV, BLT available at 7 months.

OKW And BWV seem to be taken more often by the 7 month mark.

Again, just anecdotal. There is always lots of grand villa availability at different resorts when we book right at 7 months. We stay in a grand villa every 18 months or so. Perhaps availability will change with people delaying trips from this year to next, etc., but in “normal times” it seemed like the only difficult resorts are OKW and BWV. The higher points GVs seem to be easier to get.

Is there a grand villa you have your eye on?
Based on our points and restrictions the only one officially off the board is RIV. We did a 2BR 1 BR combo at OKW the last time we did that type of trip and it worked out OK, but just in the thinking stages at the moment.

We've only stayed in a GV once and it was at SSR back in 2012 or 2013. My kids were young, but they still remember it and ask to do it again. Sorry kids but that's too many points. The unit was two stories with spacious bedrooms, a large kitchen with separate dining room. It would be great for a family reunion or holiday. Now only if my friends had DVC points, and we could go in on one together...

Aulani was the family’s favorite GV; but we also love the BWV one story GVs. Bay Lake for the MK access; Kidani for the animals, OKW for Olivia’s, SSR for Disney Springs. It depends on who is going and what the priorities are. We haven’t yet tried Jambo, Wilderness Lodge, VGF, or Riviera.

We own at AKV and will be purchasing a second contract soon. Can AKV owners book the Jambo GV at 11 months, or just 7?

We own at AKV and will be purchasing a second contract soon. Can AKV owners book the Jambo GV at 11 months, or just 7?

If you own at AKV then you have the 11 month booking window for any AKV room whether it be Kidani or Jambo. DVC made it confusing on their website by having the system only pull up whatever building you are deed at as your home resort but you are able to book either and just have to select the opposite. There's have been reported glitches so if you are having issues call MS and they should be able to get you booked and notify IT they need to fix your account,.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter