You won't believe the conversation I had with my sister (as DVC members, you might)

When we asked my DSis, DBIL and my nieces to join us, we told them up front that we would provide the room, but since our points cost us money, we felt it would be fair if they paid for one of our sit-down meals. Since my nieces really wanted to eat in the castle, I got up at 4am on the day our ADR window opened and made the reservation. My DSis had a check in the mail the next day to pay for the meal, because we had to pay for it when I made the ADR. They also paid for half of the grocery delivery so we could have breakfast in our villa every morning. Needless to say, we've told that sister that her family is welcome to join us anytime they're interested in going again.

While I think it's great when someone uses their points to gift a trip to family, it kind of sets up the expectation that the trips don't cost anything. By putting a price on our points from the very beginning, we've never had to worry about family expecting us to give them a room whenever they want it.

We joined DVC in 2009. We invited his Mom and single Bro with us. We each got a studio and they loved it. My parents are going with us this year to stay in their own studio on the savanna. We love sharing this with them. My brother and his wife have 5 kids. I do not have enough points to provide lodging for a family that size, plus a separate villa ofr DH and me---and yes, I would have to seaprate my DH from my brother. So my Brother will probably use his FIL's Orlando Timeshare. When I told my SIL how much it was cost to stay in a 2 room villa (renting points)on Disney property, she balked. I told her it would be probably at least 250 points so about $2,500 for a week. I think that is fantastic for a 2 bedromm at a deluxe resort. I really do not know what people expect sometimes.

My DH's Bro is getting married this Summer to a lovely girl with a 6 year old daughter. He wants to buy points at BLT. I was glad to give him the opportunity to stay with us so he could see the value in it.

I do not invite other family and friends since this is my magical place and I only have so many points. I think even if I had double the points I would hesitate because some folks just would not appreciate it and that would break my heart. It would probably change my relationship with that person forever and it is just not a risk I am willing to take. I guess that sounds selfish to some extent. DVC is very expensive and we are careful how we use it.

We took our children along with our nephew, neice and their child to WDW with us at Christmas time and it was one of the best vacations ever. They thanked us profusely and for that, I was grateful. On the other hand, we own a cottage on Lake Huron and we are always bombarded with requests for it. I can not believe family members who constantly ask for it year after year, use it for free and then leave it in a mess. Again, you would think that they believe it costs nothing since we own it.....but taxes alone are staggering. Some Family members are just slobs. Dirty dishes in the sink and they never clean up before they go home. It's just not DVC where you find peoples true colours when you try to be generous.

We took our children along with our nephew, neice and their child to WDW with us at Christmas time and it was one of the best vacations ever. They thanked us profusely and for that, I was grateful. On the other hand, we own a cottage on Lake Huron and we are always bombarded with requests for it. I can not believe family members who constantly ask for it year after year, use it for free and then leave it in a mess. Again, you would think that they believe it costs nothing since we own it.....but taxes alone are staggering. Some Family members are just slobs. Dirty dishes in the sink and they never clean up before they go home. It's just not DVC where you find peoples true colours when you try to be generous.

For "those" relatives I would stop the free loading! Another solution is to hire a cleaning company on their dime. Simply say "I have decided that after all stays a cleaning crew needs to be called in and all I ask is that you pay for it after your stay that way we can ALL enjoy relaxing time at the lake and it helps with the maintenance of the property"

Boy I guess we are just lucky. We just did a family vacation(10 of us) our treat at BLT in a 3 bedroom villa. Got lots of thank yous from the kids and had a blast. No other family or friends has ask about free trips, rooms, tickets or the like...smjj

We have been fortunate to invite family and friends to join us in our resort and have not expected anything in return. At the same time, I am conscious that, even though they are receiving free lodging, they are still incurring a lot of expense to visit WDW--transportation, food, park tickets, etc. They would be able to take a cheaper vacation with the amount of money that they are spending without lodging. We are thankful for their company, and they have been appreciative of our hospitality. They have offered to share expenses for groceries and meals.

I guess I should be happy none of my family is into Disney. They think we are mad as it is for buying.

I only take people who i know that are deserving.. you just know who they are....Ex.... wife's friend that is recently divorced with three kids.. who could not have gone other wise..... my sons friends four of them, who's parents really never take them on vacation and have never flown on a plane or been out of state.. Mil and Fil because they had fallen on financial hard times..Sister divorced and with two kids going through a tough time... these are the types of people that will never forget the great memories and the joy that we were all able to share... we hope to continue to share...

It is amazing that some people don't think there are costs involved.

Luckily -the family and friends I have taken have been very appreciative - and I even charge them $10 per point! Even with that - they LOVE it and realize it is a great deal. I am now considering buying more points because more people are finding out about the great deal... and I am out of points already for this year! I love my DVC - and I like for others to enjoy it... but I can't afford to foot the bill.

So - some friends will ask about my "timeshare" - and I explain the costs and benefits. The ones who "balk" at the price don't go - and the others who have - have asked to go again!

I can't wait to share BLT with my SIL and nephew this summer. We "share" the cost of the room - and she is tickled pink to be able to stay for the super low cost.

I have a daughter like that:sad1:. She got angry because I would take my friends and my friends' families but not take her and my grandsons. I took her and the boys in 2006 and spent my whole vacation in the room with a 3 year old and a 6 month old while my daughter took her 'vacation'. I said I could have saved a bunch of money if I had stayed home to babysit!!! Now, the plan is to take the boys when the youngest is 6 (May of 2012) and I'm not only taking care of the room, but I'm paying to fly the boys down, and I paid for all the park tickets too. My daughter is an adult, she can find her way down.. I will most likely be paying for the food too, which I'm okay with doing. What I am NOT okay with is her getting angry with me for sharing MY DVC with others. I paid for it, I can share it with whomever I like!!!:rotfl:

Yeesh. Families and friends...you're either loving them or hating them. I invited my two sisters down to SSR for a "girls" week-end, and they were great. They paid for dinners (not cheap) and even a spa appointment for me. I'll take those girls with me anytime! :thumbsup2

We've taken friends twice and it was wonderful both trips. Our friends shared in the groceries and picked up some of adult beverages amongst other things. Fast forward to this past fall when DH, who has wanted his sister and her family to go for quite some time, we do an add on, get a THV for them to CANCEL the week before we can make our ADRs. Their reason??? They couldn't afford the tickets, airfare and meals and DH's mother wasn't going to foot the bill. I can't imagine that we will invite family again. Ever. DH and I are leaving in 7 weeks because we had nearly 300 points that we HAD to use or we would have lost them.

We've had friends join us twice and my brothers and their wives join us once. Each time the guests either brought food to stock the fridge and/or paid for a nice meal for everyone. That seems to work well. DVC is pricey and we did pay a lot for the pleasure of being able to stay in a really nice resort, but we choose to invite friends and family, so I don't think they owe us anything. It is nice that they choose to contribute to the food or take us out, or both.

We have taken my in-laws twice and didn't expect anything from them. Our last trip we had a THV before our cruise and they had there own studio after at Kidani- savanna view.

I know on that trip, we ordered pizza at THV (split the bill), took a limo over to PC (split the bill) and each took care of our own food at Kidani. My in-laws do so much for us through out the year, that it seems like this is the only way that they will take anything from us.

We have not and probably will not take friends with us at any point. I just don't think that the friends we would take would appreciate or even grasp what is all involved. No fault to them, we just feel better going to disney on our DVC with only a select few.

Definitely some horror stories here! At least at WDW there's a check-out date and everyone knows they are supposed to leave.

We have had guests at the beach house that had such a great time they decided to lengthen their stay. Didn't ask, they just annoucned that they weren't ready to leave yet. We're talking a whole big family of people too. Plus the groceries I was footing the bill for (and the few groceries they brought with them got packed back up when it all wasn't eaten at the end of their vacation.) Nice.

Now I have a private ceremony after company goes home and any bad house guests get voted off the island, never to be invited back again. It makes me feel better. :rotfl:

Wow! What a group of horror stories. Now we've owned at BWV since 98'. All of the family and many of our friends know we own at Disney, but none of them have ever approched us about giving them a "free room" or even charging them for the room. I guess we're lucky in that respect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter