Yia-Yia, Yetis and Epcotonians. A sweltering Summer of '22 adventure!

It was around 20 after 10pm on July 19th and I was setting up for a long exposure shot of the Country Bears Jamboree when I received a text from Toni.

"Dad, are you going to check in our flight?"

We had a late, late, Southwest flight the next day. In fact it was the last flight out; 10:30pm. Of course I had completely forgotten about it.

"Doing it now" I replied.

I proceeded to scramble on my phone to pull up Southwest. While doing this Toni and Sterg were texting me constantly then calling me which each time they did it would pop up on my screen and interfere with
my checking in process.

"I'm doing it!"

"Stop texting and calling!"

I hurriedly replied with the anger building. It seemed every time I was in the middle of typing, an "incoming call" window popped up. So I had to swipe it away and start over. Then a call from the other one came up.

giphy.gif

From their side however, they were not getting my texts for whatever reason.

"Don't forget Yia-Yia!" popped on my screen as I'm trying to type in my password in the dark. My Mom was flying back with us but I did remember that.

I was going hither and thither on my phone for a few more panic stricken minutes but I did check us all in between 10:30 and 10:31. All of us were end of Boarding Group B but at least I avoided the dreaded
Boarding Group C. Then I called back Toni and flipped out on her not know she wasn't getting my texts. After we all calmed down I took my shots.

The blue streak of light was some accidental "light painting" cause by a little boy carrying an illuminated souvenir of some type.

f/8, ISO 100 for 25 secs for those keeping score.

DSC01950-X4.jpg

Then the shooting range and some more unplanned light painting.

f/8, 13 seconds, ISO 100.

DSC01951-X4.jpg

giphy.gif

Meanwhile, the 2/3rds hit up the Confectionary for a second helping of dessert.

97FBF267-66EA-42AF-A252-DE4EEBCFD72F-X2.jpg

8A1417DD-77BE-4F7E-BAE0-AF4D509B56CE-X3.jpg

With Sterg and Toni waiting for me, I with my camera spent the rest of the evening finding my way out of MK .

DSC01954-X4.jpg

Still waving off the catcher.

DSC01957-X4.jpg

Another beautifully lit evening on Main Street.

DSC01958-X4.jpg

DSC01959-X4.jpg

DSC01960-X4.jpg

DSC01964-X3.jpg

DSC01965-X4.jpg

Goodnight and good-bye Magic Kingdom. See you next trip.

DSC01967-X4.jpg

Last edited: Today at 1:29 PM

Last day of our trip arrived, but with a late flight we had almost a full day.

Toni started off with some coffee...

73D796F0-B590-4D03-BA66-72885BF3F315-X2.jpg

And YiaYia was raring to go! The CM lady at the bus stop was great. We saw her there that day and at least 2 other. She got to know my Mom and started some great interaction with us. Thumbs up to her!

4A4638CD-0906-4EE5-8CC3-9E2D4530C417-X2.jpg

Once again Mia joined us for the morning.

DSC01970-X4.jpg

I didn't take many photos that day as I was distracted with some serious issues at work that were not going my way. Frankly it was more stressful than enjoyable and numerous times I had to peel off from the rest to take and make calls.

We entered Animal Kingdom and after getting my Mom a wheelchair, headed straight away to Africa.

Toni kept her cell phone camera busy.

The swinging apes were out and chattering about.

EBF32F7C-1BAC-4343-ABAD-6284B79411EB-X3.jpg

Then we made our way to another tour up the Forbidden Mountain.

PXL_20220720_134201721-X2.jpg

I parked my Mom in front of Expedition Everest - just like we did the last two times - and told her we would be back soon.

Team Marina minus Mia hit the parks earlier and happened to also be at EE on their 2nd (or 3rd) turn around. Our team had a Lightning Lane thru genie + and strolled through the line with little drama. As we made it to the loading platform I noticed Courtney in the single rider line and we said hello to her. I was going to be riding with Toni as Sterg was paired with Mia and we were instructed to go in Row 7 or 8? We stepped up awaiting the next train. Soon after I heard some commotion then Courtney yelling toward me for my attention.

"Theo (uncle in Greek) Chris, Theo Chris! YiaYia is coming through the line!"

I turned around and saw to my surprise and embarrassment my 86 year old mother charging her way through the Lightning Lane line like Derrick Henry blasting his way through the Steelers front seven. She then charged onto the platform like a woman scorned! She spotted Courtney who was calling for her to end her rampage. She waved her open hand at her.

"Why did you all leave me there alone!" She shouted.

Spotting me next she came up to me as if I was 14 again and just walked in the house 2 hours after my curfew.

"Christo! Why did you just leave me there!"

The next train had arrived and was boarding. Luckily there was a single rider behind me and I waived her on to go with Toni. I then grabbed my Mother's arm, gave her a look and seeked the nearest CM who was also seeking me and my Mother.

"I'm so sorry." I started. "I think she got confused after we left her." I said not expected what was coming next and not really knowing what to do at that point.

"Alright" the CM responded. "So do you want to ride with her?"

I looked down at my Mom in a somewhat cross way. What was she thinking? I thought. We had done this before. Terribly I thought a good punishment for her was to ride the rollercoaster.

"Do you want to ride this?" I asked forcefully.

"Yes." She answered quickly.

"Up to the front!" The CM responded while grabbing my arm and pointing to the CM to my right.

A few moments later YiaYia and I were climbing into the front row of the newly arrived train.

After getting settled in and seatbelts secured I turn to her in a stern way.

"Mom! What were you thinking? We left you there like we did the last time because this is a really fast ride!"

"You left me there alone!"
She said as I began to realize that she didn't have a LL pass.

"How did you even get in the line? You didn't have a pass?" I asked.

"They tried to stop me but I told them my son left me and was up front."

"Oh, how nice. Well you're on now and get ready because this ride is crazy!"

"What kind of ride is it?"

"It's a rollercoaster."

"A rollercoaster. Oh my God!"

"Yeah, it may be your last ride but it's a good way to go."
I said half joking.

I then took a selfie as she was literally doing her cross.

PXL_20220720_134912895-X3.jpg

The steam engine then bellowed and my mom and I started up the Forbidden Mountain in the front row and in search of the Abominable Yeti.

Last edited:

I am laughing so hard! This is a good one. She doesn't look too frightened. I can't wait to hear how it goes!

I looked down at my Mom in a somewhat cross way. What was she thinking? I thought. We had done this before. Terribly I thought a good punishment for her was to ride the rollercoaster.
Dying laughing. Also dying at the mental image of an 86 year old woman flinging CMs out of her way like Godzilla swatting at airplanes as she finds her wayward adult son to scold him.

I am laughing so hard! This is a good one. She doesn't look too frightened. I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Lol! She doesn't look scared because I told her to smile for the selfie - she was scared. 😄

Dying laughing. Also dying at the mental image of an 86 year old woman flinging CMs out of her way like Godzilla swatting at airplanes as she finds her wayward adult son to scold him.

Lol! Pretty much how it went down.

Best update ever!!!! I want to know Yia-Yia, she seems like such a good time.

She's something else!

I am literally laughing out loud. I can't wait to hear how she does!!!!

Lol! coming right up!

Can’t wait to see how she liked it! LOL!

Up next!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

After our selfie I instructed my Mom to sit upright, keep her head back against the seat and hold on tight.

"Hold on Mom, here we go."

giphy.gif

Up the steep climb we went, down the mountain backwards and through it twice while escaping the Yeti and she did just fine. She didn't scream or yell - just held on.

"Are you ok?" I asked as we rolled back into the station.

"I'm fine - that was crazy!"

"Did you like it."

"I liked it Christo but never again!"

"Ok - good!"

Needless to say her grandchildren were waiting for her in the gift shop and proceeded to celebrate her survival and shower her with a barrage of accolades mixed with scoldings.

Word of her antics reached the ears of Marina who then proceeded to fill mine with anger but the conversation soon turned to laughter.

4E293433-119D-4231-AB68-C7BF0A3A8819-X2.png

Well she really wasn't ready for any more rollercoasters but she was ready for her favorite; Festival of the Lion King and this time we had Lightning Lane passes!

And I guess we didn't put her in a wheelchair that day. 🤔

Toni and I heading to Africa while the others wanted to explore other adventures.

PXL_20220720_142821920-X3.jpg

We were seated and ready for the show to begin. I was excited for and explained to Toni that the tumble monkeys had only recently join the show since the reopening after Covid.

F718902A-3A66-47A7-8144-81B277CE5928-X3.jpg

Let the show begin!

DSC01974-X4.jpg

I was missing having Alex with us, especially for this show. She loves it and we didn't get a chance to see it in 2020 because of COVID.

The cast was arriving and the crowd was really into it. It was like welcoming back old friends after a long absence.

DSC01975-X4.jpg

We were in the Elephant section. If my memory serves me correct, they didn't go around the room this time to have each section make their animal sound.

DSC01976-X4.jpg

Time to get bad!

DSC01985-X4.jpg

DSC01988-X4.jpg

DSC01992-X4.jpg

The outfits seemed more ornate but it could be my imagination.

DSC01993-X4.jpg

The fire thrower guy was definitely different. No tattoos and taller and thinner

_DSC2790-X3.jpg

DSC01994-X4.jpg

DSC01995-X4.jpg

DSC01997-X4.jpg

hot, hot ,hot!

DSC02006-X4.jpg

I felt the previous guy's throwing and catching skills were better but the new guy made up for it with his energy and expressions.

DSC02013-X4.jpg

DSC02014-X4.jpg

DSC02015-X4.jpg

Be Prepared!

DSC02016-X4.jpg

lol I'd missed a couple updates and just now saw the bit about your mom tearing through the LL line and essentially sneaking aboard XD. Thankfully she took the ride okay!

The show continued...

DSC02024-X4.jpg

The tumble monkeys arrived.

My settings were off a bit - the camera was exposing for the background instead of the monkeys resulting in they being a bit overexposed in the video. I've been trying to video more than I have in the past and am quickly learning that there is a lot of learning to do with it!

DSC02030-X4.jpg

DSC02031-X4.jpg

Then the beautiful birds scene. This video was better as far as exposure.

But there's something about photos that still make them special. The frozen moment in time allows you to spend time in that moment and observe and appreciate so much.

DSC02034-X4.jpg

DSC02049-X4.jpg

Things that are easy to miss in a video.

DSC02053-X4.jpg

DSC02060-X4.jpg

My Mom's favorite part! This was filmed on my Pixel6 which does a pretty darn good job of "easy" videoing. Hit record and follow the action.

After all the craziness of the last two years watching this show was such a delight and comforting to know that it was back in full form.

Time to soar!

DSC02068-X4.jpg

I love your Lion King photos. What lens did you use? I am trying to get out of my comfort zone and start using my 50mm and 10-14mm lenses more, especially on my upcoming trip.

I love your Lion King photos. What lens did you use? I am trying to get out of my comfort zone and start using my 50mm and 10-14mm lenses more, especially on my upcoming trip.

Thanks @tazdev3225 ! For Festival of the Lion King I used a 50mm 1.2. on a full frame camera. Note that I was sitting in the front row. The ultra-wide zoom you have would be a lot of fun in WDW, just have to get used to it in that environment.

Here's where I admit that despite multiple WDW trips, I've yet to see the Lion King show, lol. I think it was closed in 2021 and the park days are otherwise so SHORT, so I never thought to go into that theater which was usually out of my way! I didn't realize it was a big stunt show as well as a storytelling thing.

Things like this make me appreciate the magnitude of WDW- think about how many people there are who have to be involved in a show like this- and alternates in case of injured/sick dancers, and people on their off days (since these run every day). And there are MULTIPLE shows around WDW! Parade performers, the Friendship Faire, etc.

I might have missed it, but did you see/record the Friendship Faire at all? It was interesting seeing them swap out performers, even in later shows in the day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter