Yet another paint question

tiggerlover

<font color=33CC99>Still waiting for "the talk"<br
Thanks again to all who have helped this first time painter with some great answers to my questions, forgive me, but I have one more. Someone mentioned buying tinted primer, if you are painting a white wall that has a few stenciled designs on it can you use a tinted primer and no other paint? Or do you need to prime and then paint as well?

I think this will depend on the type of paint used for the stencils and the color. For example, if it is acrylic paint in bold color (primarys/reds/any deep color) I would do the double prime...if it is normal interior paint that was used and is pretty neutral, go with the tinted. I would give it a 24 hour dry time tho, and see how it covers before painting over it.

FINFAN said:
I think this will depend on the type of paint used for the stencils and the color. For example, if it is acrylic paint in bold color (primarys/reds/any deep color) I would do the double prime...if it is normal interior paint that was used and is pretty neutral, go with the tinted. I would give it a 24 hour dry time tho, and see how it covers before painting over it.

Thanks.

Primer is a flat based finish. So if I was covering a wall, I would use tinted primer in the color my finish coat was going to be, followed by a coat of the pint I was using.
Behr paints (Home Depot) have a great primer in the purple can, it is an undercoater that is both a primer and a sealer. It dries fast and can be tinted in any color you want. It will adhere to glossy surfaces and is mildew resistant, and will also "lock in" stains so that they don't come back in a few months! I swear by this stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter