Yet another ebay question.....

Skatermom23

DIS Veteran
I have been buying on ebay for "years!" Seriously like 8 years or longer... I have 100% feedback. I wanted to buy anitem from a person doing a paypal buy it now item. WEll, I don't do paypal...(DH is a computer person, doesn't like the hacking etc) :confused3 So, I sent the seller two emails asking if I could purchase one of their many offered items and send either a MO or a check. I haven't even gotten a response from them. Now I am sure that they could be on vacation or something, but really, aren't most sellers home during their sales? Anyway don't you think it is kind of rude to not at least respond? I guess it is really their loss. I am one of the good ebay buyers!! :goodvibes

First off. My husband is also a computer programmer. He agrees with me that there is nothing wrong with Paypal. It's one the most secure around and very reputable. Secondly, I do not think it's uncommon for a seller to not get back to you right away. Give them a chance. They might be getting bombared with emails.

I sent the first email three days ago and the second yesterday. My DH is a computer security analyst...Try telling him that paypal is safe... :rotfl:

Paypal is safe though. I have been dealing with paypal for about 5 years now. Never had a single problem. Yeah if it had been a week or more I would be concerned but you should be fine. They could just be really busy and had no time to check their email.

Did you email them through ebay or directly to them. its possible your email got filtered into their spam folder. I know when I was selling sometimes peoples emails would go there. It was very random.

phorsenuf said:
Did you email them through ebay or directly to them. its possible your email got filtered into their spam folder. I know when I was selling sometimes peoples emails would go there. It was very random.

Well I sent it directly through ebay and it says it goes to their ebay address. Don't you think people should be monitoring these things if they have items up for auction?

IT's only been a couple of days. Good Grief! Give it time. Some people don't get on the internet every day.

I'm seldom home during my sales. I sell most every day. Sometimes I'm not home for days. I do try to read my mail every other day in case someone has a question abuout an item. Perhaps this person won't do it any way other than Paypal, and has a lot of email from people asking the same question..and they are wondering.."gee, can't the person read? How rude..I stated I only take Pyapal".

Sometimes I am not happy, when I'm away, paying for computer useage by the 15 minute slot and I get questions that are already answered in the description, if only they would read it. I do answer all I can, but I'm not happy, that that is how I have to spend the minutes I'm paying for.

So that may be your answer..no answer. Really, I'm not being flipant, but it's just my opinon..they said they only take PP, and that should be your answer.

Skatermom23 said:
I haven't even gotten a response from them. Now I am sure that they could be on vacation or something, but really, aren't most sellers home during their sales? Anyway don't you think it is kind of rude to not at least respond? I guess it is really their loss. I am one of the good ebay buyers!! :goodvibes

If the person sells LOTS of stuff on Ebay, then it is possible that they just ignored your e-mail or put it on the bottom of the priority list.

They could be spending their time filling orders and dealing with paying customers if he/she is a one-man-band. I'd say most people on Ebay use Paypal, and the auction does say Paypal only, so I suppose if I were a busy, successful Ebay seller and I made it clear that I accept Paypal only, I might just not have the time to deal with it.

Exactly what is the "hacking" issue with Paypal? I'm a computer guy myself (have my own computer software business) and I use Paypal with no problems. I don't have it linked to a bank account, just to my credit card. If there is any fraud, the credit card company will deal with it.

(OTOH, as someone who does a lot of business and correspondence over the Internet, I never ignore anyone's e-mail and always respond in less than 24 hours. I can't buy the opinion that maybe the person is not on the Internet every day - if they do a lot of Ebay selling, they have to be checking auctions every day.)

JudicialTyranny said:
I can't buy the opinion that maybe the person is not on the Internet every day - if they do a lot of Ebay selling, they have to be checking auctions every day.)

I think you'll have to buy it :). We camp almost every weekend, and we go on vacation several weeks a year besides. I check auctions and email as often as possible, but often the campground has no way to check, and when at Disney, it's usually every other day. And then I answer what I think is important for my sales. Sept - March, we have about 150-200 (and sometimes more) auctions on a week (I use auction software and often they start while I'm away, and end the day I'm expected home) and various numbers the rest of the time...however last year we got snowed out, and the auctions ended 12 hours before I got home. Some people figure everyone is sitting right there. I couldn't believe some of my mail (one person said, I paid and I fully expect this to ship today..uh hun, on a Sunday). There is a reason eBay suggests you give people 3 days to respond.

Skatermom23 said:
I sent the first email three days ago and the second yesterday. My DH is a computer security analyst...Try telling him that paypal is safe... :rotfl:

off topic, but what is with the newest virus warning my MIL heard on the news??? ask DH for me would ya

peacefulgirl said:
off topic, but what is with the newest virus warning my MIL heard on the news??? ask DH for me would ya

When Dh starts talking about computers all I hear is the teacher from Charlie Brown... :rotfl2: Seriously though, just make sure you update all computer patches and you will be fine.

DMRick said:
I'm seldom home during my sales. I sell most every day. Sometimes I'm not home for days. I do try to read my mail every other day in case someone has a question abuout an item. Perhaps this person won't do it any way other than Paypal, and has a lot of email from people asking the same question..and they are wondering.."gee, can't the person read? How rude..I stated I only take Pyapal".

Sometimes I am not happy, when I'm away, paying for computer useage by the 15 minute slot and I get questions that are already answered in the description, if only they would read it. I do answer all I can, but I'm not happy, that that is how I have to spend the minutes I'm paying for.

So that may be your answer..no answer. Really, I'm not being flipant, but it's just my opinon..they said they only take PP, and that should be your answer.

This person sells candles and from the looks of things she offers 10 items at a time and very rarely sells more than one or two each time she lists them. My thought was that she would be glad to let me purchase since she apparently has a good stock and doesn't deplete it quickly. I would never have asked if I didn't have a good track record with ebay. Whenever I have asked others, they seem to not have any issue with this at all and ALWAYS respond by auction end. This auction ends this morning.

JudicialTyranny said:
If the person sells LOTS of stuff on Ebay, then it is possible that they just ignored your e-mail or put it on the bottom of the priority list.

They could be spending their time filling orders and dealing with paying customers if he/she is a one-man-band. I'd say most people on Ebay use Paypal, and the auction does say Paypal only, so I suppose if I were a busy, successful Ebay seller and I made it clear that I accept Paypal only, I might just not have the time to deal with it.

The only time we seem to run into Paypal only auctions is on the buy it now items. Even though many sellers do use Paypal they always offer other ways to pay either MO or check.

I sometimes run paypal only auctions because I find it hard to get cheques etc to the bank on time and then I'm in that dilemma of sending before the cheque has cleared or making the buyer wait unreasonably because of my delay. I also like to keep the paypal balance as a savings device . I know I am probably reducing the amount of people who bid and there are issues with leaving money in paypal but it has worked for me so far. I usually try to answer all email v. promptly and courteously but if I'm really busy and someone is asking a question that is answered in the description I have been known to delay the reply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter