Yay or nay on this teacher gift idea

summerrluvv

<font color=darkorchid>Work Hard. Have Fun.<br><f
I know that many people get GC's for their kids teachers or even cash where I live, but I'm not going that route. The class mom usually takes up a collection for the teacher and assistant's gift, but my son has therapists and other support staff I need to get gifts for as well. I try to stay away from something homemade that is edible since I've read on here that many throw that stuff away.

I went to a craft fair today and saw these gift sets packaged in cellaphane. A seasonal pot holder, dish towel, color coordinated spatula and package of brownie/cookie mix. The presentation was cute (or at least I thought) and she was selling them for $15. Being the bargain shopper that I am, I'm sure I can round up these things and make my own for much less.

So what do you think, yay or nay?

I never use those homemade mixes or anything baked by people whos kitchens I haven't seen.

Just realized you probably mean purchasing packaged mix. That would be OK!

I think the potholder/dish towel idea is a good one. The spatula is a good one too. I would actually get a non-seasonal theme, though, since it will already be close to Christmas when you give the gifts. Maybe a winter theme, or even something with their initial on it?

I would skip any homemade mixes, since you may not know dietary restrictions or preferences. And some teachers may throw out homemade goodies, but many like me will just put them in the teacher's lounge. There are many teachers at our school who can and will eat homemade treats.

Marsha

I know that many people get GC's for their kids teachers or even cash where I live, but I'm not going that route. The class mom usually takes up a collection for the teacher and assistant's gift, but my son has therapists and other support staff I need to get gifts for as well. I try to stay away from something homemade that is edible since I've read on here that many throw that stuff away.

I went to a craft fair today and saw these gift sets packaged in cellaphane. A seasonal pot holder, dish towel, color coordinated spatula and package of brownie/cookie mix. The presentation was cute (or at least I thought) and she was selling them for $15. Being the bargain shopper that I am, I'm sure I can round up these things and make my own for much less.

So what do you think, yay or nay?

Not only do I think it's a great idea, but I think I'll borrow it from you! :thumbsup2

I liked the other posters idea of using something with an initial or something winter themed instead of a Christmas theme. I agree with them that by the time the gifts are given Christmas is almost over.

Thanks for the great idea!

I think it's a cute idea!

I received something similar once as a Brownie leader-it was a red dishtowel with a gingerbread pattern, along with a package of gingerbread mix. I think the mom said she got it at walmart. :)

I think it's a cute idea!

I received something similar once as a Brownie leader-it was a red dishtowel with a gingerbread pattern, along with a package of gingerbread mix. I think the mom said she got it at walmart. :)

I like this idea too!:) Okay, at this stage of the game, I only have two in elementary school that give gifts - I could swing this. Thanks so much for the ideas! Either one is cute - and I have some cookie cutters I could tie one one if I bought boxed cookie mix. I won't go the homemade route with the mixes, but everything else about the idea sounds terrific. I'd like to get that as a gift too!:lovestruc

I liked it because it is something everyone can use. Candles are not for everyone and neither are lotions or soaps or candy, you know? Once, I actually got a ruby red lipstick from a family, and I don't even wear lipstick, LOL. The best gifts also include a heart felt sentiment on a card signed by the child.:goodvibes

Marsha

Sounds really cute! I'd be thrilled with it, and as PPs have said, it's useful stuff.
As others have said in previous years' threads, though, a note or a drawing is just as good (and budget!) as a gift-gift.
I do love that this one is useful, though, because I feel terribly guilty when kids give me something I can't eat or won't use, especially when I know there are things THEY need that I wish they'd buy instead.

But anyway...I think it's a very cute idea and definitely one you can do for less than $15. I was a little nervous you were going to say you bought them at the craft fair.

Last year, I gave the para-professionals in my kids' class a similar gift (on the same theme) that I found at the Christmas Tree Shops for $6...

It was a canvas bag that had placemats, potholder and napkins (all cloth). I also chose winter designs (snowflakes, snowmen) as they can be used throughout the season, and you may not know if someone celebrates another holiday either.

I got several compliments on them from the paras, they were a great deal, and a steal at $6!

Check out Christmas tree Shops if you have one near you - I've seen them there pretty much every year.

I LOVE this idea! And - as other posters have mentioned - maybe do a store-bought mix instead of a "prepared-at-home-mix".

I find kitchen things to be very universal - who can't use a some extra hotpads, dishtowels etc. Granted they may not match the overall decor - but IMHO - it just doesn't matter!

I am even going to go as bold and say - sometimes - stores like Kohl's has "bundles" of dishtowels, and hotpads etc, i.e. which for your idea you could just easily separate them when you get home and divid them up into the different peopel's gifts. With all upcoming sales - I thinkt his would be a very affordable thing to do!

I got something similar one year and loved it! It was a potholder and a store bought cookie mix. I think there was a cookie cutter too. One student got me an ice cream scoop and fun shaped sprinkles.

I am a therapist and I wanted to say that it is so nice of you to think of everyone involved with your son. Your idea sounds great. I don't mind something homemade from the few parents that think of us. It is a small town, they are very clean, their house looks clean from the outside etc. Last year I received a homemade present but the best part was the card. It contained a wonderful note that brought tears to my eyes.

Aw Summer, that sounds like a great idea. I dont know where you plan on shopping but I see some of the posters mentioned christmas tree shops and I see they have one at the new outlet in Deer Park. Thats a hike for me right now but I looked at thier ad on line and someone posted about their friends and family coupon too.

OT - how is your sister? If you ever do the bowling with Santa, you will see that a "special" person close to my heart will probably be Santas best friend etc. Well I am off to Belle Mead for some interesting tests on tues. and then wed. to the hosp. to the wonderful, cough, cough, radiation oncologist. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Blessings to you always.

Hi - I gave something very similar to teachers last year. It was a red mixing bowl, red spatula and green measuring cups - then I bought a thing of brownie mix and put it in there. So I obviously think it is a good idea!! :)

One thing I want to mention to you is that especially if your ds has 'extra' teachers to provide for - IF you have the storage space - you should start shopping for those on Dec 26th. I got the pre-made sets with the mixing bowl at Kmart when Xmas stuff was 75% off the prior year - and it was about $6.00 per set - no way could I have bought the individual stuff for less.

Same thing for this year - I got hand towels and washclothes with holiday patterns on them the day after Xmas for 50% off - so one set of each (matching) together equals $5.00. So inexpensive that I got these really cute holiday gift boxes to put them in for another $2.00. That's the teacher gift for this year.

You could DEFINITELY find a holiday potholder, etc. for way less after Xmas and just store it til next year. That way if you use the same idea for teachers for next year they'll all cost half the price.

i would say only if the mix is prepacked such as betty crocker, etc.... otherwise any gifts that i get prepared at home goes in the garbage (ofcourse not the potholder)....also any type of classroom stuff is much appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter