(X) LC - Flax Crackers

Rhonda

<marquee><font color=red>Quote of the Day: <font
Flax Seed Crackers

¼ cup flax seed
¼ cup ground flax seed
1½ cups all-purpose flour (if on Atkins Induction or OWL, try substituting almond flour, soy flour, protein powder, etc.)
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
4 tsp. butter, softened
½ cup half & half

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a bowl of a stand-up mixer, add flax seed, ground flax, flour, baking powder, salt and butter. With the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in milk and mix until mixture forms a soft dough. (You can also mix the dough by hand.) Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 10 minutes.

Divide the dough into quarters. Turn out onto a lightly floured board. Roll out very thin to a rectangle 2 mm (1/16 inch) thick. Cut into 6 cm (2 ½ inch) squares. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with the remainder of the dough.

Bake 20 minutes until crisp and golden.

Variations:
Onion: 1 tbsp. powdered onion soup mix.
Cheese: 1 cup grated cheddar cheese.
Italian: 1 tbsp. oregano and 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese.

Yield: 24 crackers

Just a note... these are NOT for Atkins Induction or OWL periods... all-purpose flour is a huge red flag if you're following Atkins. You may be able to have them in moderation in the Maintenace phase, but he strongly discouraged white flour (completely empty carbs) in any phase.

You could probably make them with a stone ground whole wheat to help the nutritional values, or even better, use almond flour or a combination of wheat protein isolate or vital wheat gluten with almond flour to greatly reduce the carbs and increase the fiber and nutrition.

For each cracker, the nutrionals (with all purpose flour) are: 54 Calories; 2g Fat (36.7% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 64mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Flax seeds (especially ground), on the other hand, are FABULOUS for you! :)

Oops - sorry. I posted this on somebody's request early this morning (before I had my coffee). It was found on a low-carb site. But of course, you're right. I think I would substitute soy flour, protein powder, wheat gluten, whole grain flour, anything but all-purpose flour. :)

I had a cracker recipe uses ground sunflower seeds. I'm sure you could use them in place of the flour in this recipe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter