Would you use a walkway from AKL to AK?

Would you use a walkway from AKL to AK?

• Yes

Votes: 111 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 21 15.9%

• Total voters
It wouldn't have to get near any enclosures. If they just started a pathway from the end of the bus stop it would be a little over a mile and could just follow the existing roads. Black Lake Rod would take some finagling but it's definitely doable.

Untitled.jpg
Your route goes backstage where the buses enter the bus stop area. I would think Disney wouldn't want pedestrians anywhere near that backstage area, nor in the bus transportation area. Plus they would have to install overhead walkways at the road crossing areas. I think it comes down to cost/benefit. What do they gain by installing a pedestrian-safe walkway?

Your route goes backstage where the buses enter the bus stop area. I would think Disney wouldn't want pedestrians anywhere near that backstage area, nor in the bus transportation area. Plus they would have to install overhead walkways at the road crossing areas. I think it comes down to cost/benefit. What do they gain by installing a pedestrian-safe walkway?

If AKL becomes a more desireable resort, you can charge a higher rate. Because a path doesn't have a very high operating cost, it could pay for itself fairly quickly. The route I put was just an example for distance (nothing I propose) but the walk from CR to MK runs along the bus stop as well. It would take some fencing and finagling but it could be done without huge changes.

Last edited:

I voted that we'd use it based on distance...but working along that path (seemingly) in the middle of a forest seems scary!

We have walked HS to Epcot. It was great when the kids were smaller and they napped in the stroller while we walked!

That map looks a lot longer than the walk from BWI to Epcot or HS! I would love to walk if it wasn't 100 degrees outside and I didn't have toddlers.

That map looks a lot longer than the walk from BWI to Epcot or HS! I would love to walk if it wasn't 100 degrees outside and I didn't have toddlers.
It's longer than Boardwalk to Epcot or HS but could be about the same distance as Epcot or Y&BC to HS.

I might, depending on how ambitious I was feeling, but my DH and my DS14 definitely would. They always go for a walk around Hourglass Lake almost every night just because when we stay at Pop, when we stay at All Stars, they walk over to the Mc Donalds just to do it and have some fries, they love to walk from Epcot to HS.

Ah, but we are in the minority!!! I always laugh at the people in the line for the boat to DHS at BW. I know I'm going to get there a lot faster than they are!! But, most people still take that boat. I can't imagine that it would be much different at AKL...not to mention that some of the rooms are practically in another city!!! That really adds to the time on your feet!!!
I took the boat from Epcot to the resorts because it was there when I left the park. omg. i got off the next stop it was going so slow it drove me nuts. never again.

I voted YES! We would love a walkway between AKL and AK!
We would use it often for sure! It would be a great way to walk to Rainforest Cafe for a meal on a resort day!

To be contrary, the path from Contemporary walks right next to the Magic Kingdom Bus depot with a thin metal fence acting as a barrier. Now there are some cross roads back there at Animal Kingdom that certainly make it more back stage, but nothing much more than crossing over World Drive.

If AKL becomes a more desireable resort, you can charge a higher rate. Because a path doesn't have a very high operating cost, it could pay for itself fairly quickly. The route I put was just an example for distance (nothing I propose) but the walk from CR to MK runs along the bus stop as well. It would take some fencing and finagling but it could be done without huge changes.
Because they had a problem filling AKL, they converted two floors to DVC. People always complain about the long, long bus rides (13 minutes to Epcot anyone? Not that long). I don't see where they could justify raising the rate to cover the expenses of that path. It would have to include lots of tall fencing, security cameras and perhaps in some locations CMs stationed in booths to keep the guests on the path. It's too isolated.

Because they had a problem filling AKL, they converted two floors to DVC. People always complain about the long, long bus rides (13 minutes to Epcot anyone? Not that long). I don't see where they could justify raising the rate to cover the expenses of that path. It would have to include lots of tall fencing, security cameras and perhaps in some locations CMs stationed in booths to keep the guests on the path. It's too isolated.
Which is what got me thinking what are some things Disney can do to increase the desirability of the resort. The inability to walk from Grand Floridian to the Magic Kingdom (and that sole factor) puts it as a no-go on my list. I'll opt for Bay Lake, Polynesian, Boardwalk, Y&B Club and even Animal Kingdom lodge (simply for the savings) than pay and NOT be able to walk to any park. Almost all the costs of a path connecting AKL to AK would be upfront and could be made up very quickly with even the slightest rate hike or increase in occupancy. Most people who stay at deluxe resorts that I know that don't stay at AKL will blame transportation as the reason....a path would be a welcomed shot in the arm for the closest park.

It will never happen (and never will bikes/bike trails).

Disney is a target for every sue happy guest out there and all they need is a bunch of clueless guests stepping off and getting hit by a car or bus, bit by a snake, traumatized by an armadillo, burn by fire ants, passing out from heat stroke ... and there would be a stack of lawsuits for Disney not managing the wildlife or providing barriers so folks don't fall off the sidewalk etc.

... and all those sidewalks would have to be monitored.

It will never happen (and never will bikes/bike trails).

Disney is a target for every sue happy guest out there and all they need is a bunch of clueless guests stepping off and getting hit by a car or bus, bit by a snake, traumatized by an armadillo, burn by fire ants, passing out from heat stroke ... and there would be a stack of lawsuits for Disney not managing the wildlife or providing barriers so folks don't fall off the sidewalk etc.

... and all those sidewalks would have to be monitored.

I don't think it will happen either but it's not like walkways are unheard of at wdw. Besides the boardwalk-DHS walkway there is a long stretch of sidewalk between the all stars resorts and Coronado which doesn't appear to be monitored or policed. You can walk to Blizzard beach from any of those resorts and I've taken many morning jogs along that route.

I vote yes! I love walking from Epcot to DHS. Walking from AKL to AK only makes sense. I wish they would make this a thing.

I don't think it will happen either but it's not like walkways are unheard of at wdw. Besides the boardwalk-DHS walkway there is a long stretch of sidewalk between the all stars resorts and Coronado which doesn't appear to be monitored or policed. You can walk to Blizzard beach from any of those resorts and I've taken many morning jogs along that route.

I guarantee if they never built that McDonalds there would be no path. The path was to keep all those walking to McD from AllStars and BB safe. I think CSR link happened just because it was there. We actually don't know if it is monitored.

Most of the Epcot/DHS walkway is not along roads but contained and a true pedestrian walk.

There is no reason at all for walking paths. They provide buses, they want you on buses and they don't want to have to create safe crossings and deal with guest issues.

On our recent (first) stay at AKL, we commented on how we love the 'secluded' aspect of the resort. We're AP, so we often spend half days just lounging around the resort and we felt it was more 'resort-like' since it was a distance. HOWEVER, we would definitely have loved a path to AK since it's our favorite of all.

a path would increase foot traffic but not add revenue to the resort. The restaurants are very popular, can be difficult to book ADR. There are plenty of non-resort guests who manage to make their way there for dining/touring.

We rent a car & usually drive, easy-peasy to get to AK. Have noticed that the bus service to the parks has improved dramatically the last few years.

Who says it isn't desireable? Lower rates there allow those who'd normally book a moderate experience deluxe amenities, akin to how the FQ tends to consistently charge higher rates vs CBR or CSR.

As mentioned earlier, look @ WL all they need to do is convert inventory to DVC & things stabilize quickly.

I guarantee if they never built that McDonalds there would be no path. The path was to keep all those walking to McD from AllStars and BB safe. I think CSR link happened just because it was there. We actually don't know if it is monitored.

Most of the Epcot/DHS walkway is not along roads but contained and a true pedestrian walk.

There is no reason at all for walking paths. They provide buses, they want you on buses and they don't want to have to create safe crossings and deal with guest issues.

So what you're saying about the sidewalk from all stars to Coronado is that if there is enough demand (foot traffic) and it's logistically feasible Disney will build a sidewalk. Which means OP's idea will never happen. Maybe they will get a gondola :-)

I view pedestrian and bike friendly roads as a quality of life issue. I'm personally more at ease when I don't feel totally dependent on motor vehicles. It would be nice but I realize it's impractical for Disney. The cost benefit analysis does not favor a project like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter