Would you recommend THIS board to someone planning their first trip?

Would you recommend this board to someone planning their first Disney vacation?

• Yes! I recommend this board to everyone I know!

• Yes, but I also warn them not to let the negativity get them down.

• Maybe, but I steer my more sensitive friends away from this board.

• No, I don't recommend this board to anyone taking their first trip. I send them elsewhere.

• Other. (Because there's always an other.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not generally. Most of the info requires some prior knowledge of the parks, lingo, etc. I would have them read a guide book first.

Yeah, but I'd still recommend it. After a good reading of a good guide book (I'd actually suggest looking at two), this is a good place to turn to to find answers to questions not addressed in the books. Plus, books are at least slightly out of date by the time they first hit the shelves, and you can find out about the changes here.

The first-timers I'd suggest just lurking the boards for a while, seeing what the hot topics are, as well as searching the general subject addressing their questions. Chances are, it's a question that has already been asked. And then, if needed, join the boards and ask a question.

It's really "Theme Parks and Attractions" that they need to avoid on the boards if they don't want to be inundated by negativity and smarm. Heck they've already made their decision to go to Disney, they're trying get pumped up about it pixiedust: There are really plenty of other areas on these boards where you can get great information about WDW and DLC ::yes::

If you can sift through the "OMG FP+ ruined our entire trip!" and "Disney is the worst! We're never returning!" threads, there is TONS of helpful info here.

I'd just tell people to utilize the search function and wear their flame suits..

I used to, but I wouldn't now.

Part of it is that I've come to realize that most of the discussion on this board is most well-suited to people that are already at least somewhat familiar with the parks. You can get some great info on here if you're looking for specific answers to specific questions, but you kinda need to have an understanding of WDW to know how to ask the question.

Part of it is the related concern that someone would get overwhelmed with minutiae that they don't really need to know on a first trip. I see people come in here all of the time and post really open-ended questions about the "best" this or that, and the response is (predictably) so varied and voluminous, I would imagine it's difficult to actually get any useful information.

...and part of it is the negativity that seems to be a big part of the boards lately. Some of it is justified, some of it is probably just trolling, but I think it's much easier to ignore all of that once you're familiar with the Disney experience.

I do, however, send them to the parent site for basic information about the parks. Lots of great info there, too, but it is presented is a way that is much easier to digest for a newbie.

If you can sift through the "OMG FP+ ruined our entire trip!" and "Disney is the worst! We're never returning!" threads, there is TONS of helpful info here.

I'd just tell people to utilize the search function and wear their flame suits..

I don't find the "we just returned and had a GREAT TIME and DIDN'T LET ANYTHING BOTHER US LIKE SOME PEOPLE!!!!" threads any more helpful.

I chose yes, but to caution them about the negativity.

Funny you should ask this, just this weekend I told DH that it was a good thing I wasn't planning a first trip and using the Dis to do so-I might be scared away from Disney altogether.

Waaaaaay back when we first started going I don't recall so many bad things going around. It was mostly tips, tricks, and the feel good things.

Though I do recall the mug threads and crockpot stories-some of those would get pretty heated, but nothing to deter me.

Here's hoping we can get get back to the good times once this FP+ mess settles down pixiedust:

I don't find the "we just returned and had a GREAT TIME and DIDN'T LET ANYTHING BOTHER US LIKE SOME PEOPLE!!!!" threads any more helpful.

I expect they're a necessary corrective.

And possibly a reminder to folks planning an upcoming trip that, despite what some threads might lead you to believe, it actually IS possible to have a wonderful vacation at Disney these days. Some people even find it easy!

I voted yes, but to not let the negativity get them down but there is a caveat that I generally warn people that on various forums/boards I'm on as it's basically human nature... someone new to any group can easily see the negativity over the positive.

I expect they're a necessary corrective.

No, "we didn't encounter any problems and had a good time" may be, but taking passive aggressive shots at the people who encountered delays that lasted hours and were unhappy about it is not. But the tendency to mock and trivialize problems people have at WDW long predates the current Disney changes. Somehow being nasty or haughty in defense of Disney isn't seen as negative by some.

Of course I would send people here. The world is not all puppy dogs, rainbows, cotton candy, etc. There are both positives and negatives. An intelligent and rational person should be able to read through the forum and pick out what they need from the threads that currently exist and be able to form questions of their own as needed based on what is out there.

for a first trip heck no. If they were a Disney nut then yes. This board is full of too many opinions (Which is good), but it's overwhelming if you're just dipping your toes in the water.

I went for the second option. These forums have a wealth of information and some really useful tips. But, negativity, mostly over FP+, has really detracted from the overall experience. Hopefully, once we get out of the testing period, some improvements will be made and/or people will have to accept what it is and we can get back to actual "attractions and strategies" with informational posts instead of whining and finger-pointing.

Even though there are a lot of differing opinions, when it comes to basic questions, I know that these boards have come to the rescue many times. For my friends, who were first timers, they used DIS Boards along with The Unofficial Guide and WDW Today podcast. I think that is a perfect combination for a first timer who really wants to have a wonderful trip.

No.

At this point in time, I would send somebody to something like AllEars where it is strictly informational.

No.

At this point in time, I would send somebody to something like AllEars where it is strictly informational.

That's exactly where I come down. There is lots of good info on here, but you have to wade through a lot of other stuff to find it. For a first timer, I would think something like AllEars would be more useful because it's organized in a way that makes it easier to find what you're looking for.

Of course I tell everyone about this board. I think healthy debate is good. Part of planning is knowing the things to avoid and how current practices could negatively effect a trip to WDW.

It depends. If it is someone who loves to plan and research, and has actually asked how I knew about the stuff I did on my last trip (BOG FP+ for lunch, which resort rooms sleep 5, park hours since it was kind of an "off" time of the year, etc), AND had at least a year or two to read on here before their trip, I would direct them here.

Since that rules out 80% of my family and friends, and 100% of DH's family (LOL), I would keep my mouth shut and not say a word. I loved reading these boards YEARS before I actually planned a real trip, and felt as though I lived vicariously through the trip reports/dining reports/etc, so for me it was entertainment. I actually became a member several years later when I finally was able to book our first trip, which of course allowed me to ask questions. BUt by then, I already had many years of "experience" here.

That being said, the first time I walked into MK, I was almost scared to break a "DIS-rule" just incase there was someone near me from these boards who might report it to everyone LOL DH walked into a line before I had parked the stroller and several people walked in behind him. I was terrified to say "excuse me" to them so I could catch up with DH. I kept saying no to him motioning me over, but all of the people were super nice and told me to go ahead and go through.

I was very concerned about where to put the stroller for Wishes because I didn't want to block anyone's view. Little did I know that it woouldn't matter because as soon as wishes started, a man set his tripod up literally 6 feet in front of us. Sigh. I WISHED for a DIS-er at that point!! LOL

What I learned, and the reason I don't direct many people here, is that when a person really, truly loves something, they put their heart and soul into it. It becomes very, very personal to them. They will argue about strollers for 6 year olds, who is sitting at a CS table without food in front of them, whose kids were taken out of school for how long when there is a perfectly good summer vacation to wait for, why Ohana cannot seem to figure out the right degree of doneness for their meat, or how in the world ANYONE could even THINK of stuffing 5 people into a POR AB room on their VACATION!! (gasp!!!).

As much as I enjoy these boards, I would not wish for anyone I know personally to have to deal with all of these first-world problems when planning their vacation!!

I had to vote no. I think this board can be a wealth of information and I had used it for many of my trips. However, with this new FP+ situation many of the posts have been more negative than in the past. I think for someone that didn't know any better it could scare them out of going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter