Would you recommend THIS board to someone planning their first trip?

Would you recommend this board to someone planning their first Disney vacation?

• Yes! I recommend this board to everyone I know!

• Yes, but I also warn them not to let the negativity get them down.

• Maybe, but I steer my more sensitive friends away from this board.

• No, I don't recommend this board to anyone taking their first trip. I send them elsewhere.

• Other. (Because there's always an other.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think there are better sites for someone completely new to disney (I really like the layout of mousesavers for a overview of all things to consider for a Disney trip) but the FAQS about the ticket types here is very good as well.

What's wrong with that? It's true. Do you find that offensive?

Disney didn't make people aware of it in the past like they do now. That combined with people having to choose 3 or nothing absolutely impacts availability.

I mean do you find the threads where people talk about how there's no true off season anymore offensive? I don't get what the difference is. Both the result of Disney marketing. Neither an insult to the guests benefitting from Disney sharing information.

If you'd read my earlier post, you'd see that I said that I don't really care because I'm not a thin-skinned person. If someone is resentful of my family's presence in the park (either because we use up some of the FPes or take up space on the sidewalk or a ADR or whatever), I can't help that. I'm going to go to WDW and use however many FPes I'm allowed to use and have a great time, etc. My response was specifically to the question in the poll as to whether or not I'd recommend the board to a first timer. If they were sensitive to that kind of thing, I might not. At the very least, I'd suggest that they stay away from FP+ posts or take them with a grain of salt. Because if you're constantly reading about how the increase in the use of FP+ (or, to your point, to attendance is general) makes people angry or annoyed or whatever, it can be off-putting. That's all I was trying to say.

I found this site 4 years ago when I was planning my first trip to Universal, which was also my first big trip on my own as an adult. Since then, I've gone to WDW twice, and have another trip happening in May. For all of these trips, the boards were very helpful and I know my vacations were more successful because of the research I put in.

These days however... I just don't know. It *could* be because I'm more experienced, and just don't need to soak in as much info. But I also think the entire tone of the boards, ESPECIALLY the TAS board has completely warped.

There used to be a lot of troubleshooting, with folks asking others about schedules and the best way to go about something on a trip. It was the kind of thing where you could add input from your own experiences to be as helpful as possible.

I think those kinds of threads might still exist, but they're buried under the avalanche of "This is awful and I hate everything!" and "This is actually great, and you all don't know anything!".

Where are the strategies? Where is the troubleshooting?

And frankly, the personal attacks between posters are getting out of hand. As someone who got a red flag years ago (for something comparatively minor!) I can't help but feel that even the mods don't have a handle on the situation.

So I guess to conclude, no, I wouldn't recommend the boards to a newbie because I don't think they've been particularly helpful with the kind of info they used to provide. Which is sad, because that's how I started.

If you'd read my earlier post, you'd see that I said that I don't really care because I'm not a thin-skinned person. If someone is resentful of my family's presence in the park (either because we use up some of the FPes or take up space on the sidewalk or a ADR or whatever), I can't help that. I'm going to go to WDW and use however many FPes I'm allowed to use and have a great time, etc. My response was specifically to the question in the poll as to whether or not I'd recommend the board to a first timer. If they were sensitive to that kind of thing, I might not. At the very least, I'd suggest that they stay away from FP+ posts or take them with a grain of salt. Because if you're constantly reading about how the increase in the use of FP+ (or, to your point, to attendance is general) makes people angry or annoyed or whatever, it can be off-putting. That's all I was trying to say.

Again, it's not a new or uncommon attitude around here though.

Ever read a thread about free dining, discounts, low crowd times or the dining plan? All of those contain the same kind of attitude towards newer, previously unaware guests. I'm just saying if you're finding a problem with that (for you, or people you recommend to) FP+ discussion is not solely to blame. It's nothing that hasn't existed for years already. How many "The DDP ruined Disney!!!!!!" threads pop up?

surferdave said:
Who has said this? I've never seen a statement like that. The two closest points I can think of to this are

1. The old system was actually the one that was accessible to everyone, this one is dependent on being a resort guest or an AP holder (otherwise you're getting the paper service on day of visit).

2. Disney is claiming more people are using this one because it's easier but that is untrue. If it is getting more use it's because they are promoting it heavily because they want the marketing data from it, and they never bothered to promote the old one.

I think that is what had come across on some of the posts to quite a few people. I am not saying to not post if you disagree with FP+, but this is an area would need to warn newbie about so they do not get discouraged.

I started looking at this board a few years ago, but I was already at the point where I had been to Disney twice so knew the basic lay of the land (for MK at least haha), and I had visited the Disney website to get the basics. Actually, I think I found these boards by Googling "Disney Message Boards" and it was the first hit.

I found it very helpful as I learned about easyEWE, touringplans.com, the perks of rope drop,fast pass strategies, menus,etc. One particularly helpful tip that I got from this board was that your can take a bus from your hotel to EPCOT and get the monorail to MK. This completely SAVED our EMH morning for MK!We arrived at the busstop at 7:30 and there were already at least 2 busloads of people in front of us,and nobody in the EPCOT line. As luck would have it, the EPCOT bus pulled up immediately so we jumped in that line and were at MK before 8 am :)

I also found it helpful for asking specific questions like "Can you buy beer at the Pop Century food court?". However, if I had never been to Disney and had no idea what a Disney trip would entail, I would find this board very overwhelming.

Again, it's not a new or uncommon attitude around here though.

Right, exactly. And I understand that. But the poll question is, specifically, would you recommend this board to a FIRST timer? My answer was "Yes, but I'd warn them to not let the negativity get them down." (Or, however the second choice is worded, exactly.). As numerous posters before me have posted, the negativity has increased--and, for the most part it has to do with more people making the experience less "fun." in some way (either because of longer lines, less FPes, or whatever). And I definitely would mention that to any other first-timer I recommended the boards to because the implication (even if it isn't stated outright) is that it's all these "first-timers" who are causing the problems.

My problem is that there seem to be a fair number of people who like to be rude to others for seemingly no reason at all. The snide, backhanded comments are usually uncalled for. (No matter which "side" of the argument you're on. I've seen it from both.) That alone would be enough to turn me off if I were a first time visitor here.

I voted "yes, but with a warning about the negativity".

I love the DIS with all my heart. The amount of information I have gotten here over the years, I am sure, makes me more knowledgeable than some Disney travel agents on all things WDW. I love being the "expert" amongst my friends and family, and all because I love coming here and staying in the loop.

That said, to be honest, sometimes I actually get nervous about posting a question. I fear "GEEZ, that question was asked 6 days ago, don't you know how to search, moron?" Or "Your opinion is so outside the realm of pointlessness - but I am still going to respond just to personally shame you". There are 2 or 3 replies I've gotten over the years that have genuinely hurt my feelings - and I'm not a flamer or EVER looking for trouble or controversy. Friends I HAVE referred here over the years have come back to me and expressed surprise at the downright hateful and rude attitudes of some folks who come to a forum to talk about Disney. It really is laughable! :rolleyes2

Yes, but not as their first source. There's just so much information and Disney lingo here, that it will overwhelm the uninitiated. I'd recommend a website with a "How to Plan Your First Trip" checklist first. Then, I'd send them here with specific questions.

Recently for DLR yes for WDW NO! As DLR regular and WDW newbie myself I have to say that the negativity about FP+ and MDE is getting to be out of hand. I understand that WDW regulars have strategies that have formed throughout the years, but for newbies it's distressing. I've been on this board for a while, so I know how people are when there are new changes of any kind. However all of that complaining isn't helpful to newbies that didn't know how the old system worked and only want to know what to do now.

IMO there should be one sticky thread where experienced WDW posters can express there negative feelings about FP+ and MDE. I know this has been mentioned before, but really it should be seriously considered. I totally understand that people are upset with the new system and want to make their voices, but for newbies it's not helpful at all!

I always recommend the Dis to my friends who ask for advice for their trip. I tell them this is where I have learned most of my "secrets" for a great vacation. I realize their is a lot of negativity showing up right now, but it doesn't negate all of the wonderful information on here!:thumbsup2

No, I wouldn't recommend the DIS to a first timer. I think it's just too overwhelming. Factual information is hard to find because of ever changing opinions and fast moving threads.

For a second timer, yes!

I hit "other" because if they're rabid planners like myself, I send them here. If they're not serious planners, I'll link them to various schedules on EasyWDW and to Steve Soares' site and, possibly, recommend an Unofficial Guide book or membership.

Yes...but I would recommend a Disney 101 type book first. Read that to get the general how-to's, layout, etc.

Then, come here and spend an hour a night or every other night just flat out reading these boards. After a month you will know 99% of what you need to know to get a ton out of your vacation.

The other thing that helped me was having a 3.5 day trip first in which we had a ton of fun and learned a lot at the same time.

On a side note, I do think that forum members have a responsibility to attenuate some of the negatives or at least keep them condensed to a few negative threads. I'm not a fan of some of the choices Disney makes but still it is overall a 99% wonderful place in my opinion. People reading these boards may get an overall feel that it is an 80% awful place...

People are free to their feelings and free to post what they want. I think a lot of people are just being honest in their opinion which is ok. I guess I just wish it was a little more condensed and given a bit more perspective.

Not right now, no. The general sentiment on the board is way too negative to be helpful. I would steer them to Your First Visit for basic background instead. If they wanted to go more in-depth, I would point them at EasyWDW plus the Unofficial Guide.

Actually I want to change my vote. All the negativity on these boards would be recommended by me to anyone who wants to have fun with their families in Disney.

How can people who have never been to WDW assume that FP+ is easier to use? I don't get that at all. :confused3

Not right now, no. The general sentiment on the board is way too negative to be helpful. I would steer them to Your First Visit for basic background instead. If they wanted to go more in-depth, I would point them at EasyWDW plus the Unofficial Guide.

This a bit. I won't know for sure until I get to the parks, but I'd like to go in informed, as well as being able to form my own judgement on the state of things. Negativity aside, I think there's such a thing as too much info and I think WDW is overwhelming to begin with. While this board is a great resource, I think it would be info overload for the WDW newbie.

The negativity is an issue but at the same time, I do appreciate people's candid reviews. I'm a WDW vet and I think the negativity can be discouraging even for me. I'd like to enjoy my trip that I paid a ton for without noticing and possibly nitpicking things like bathroom theming. :confused3

Sure, this is a great website to get info about the Disney experience and to have specific questions answered. I've found some invaluable help on here. I would simply caveat the recommendation by noting that (1) some posters freak out about issues that aren't actually that important so take the negativity with a grain of salt and (2) some posters are Disney apologists who think the Mouse does nothing wrong, the restaurants serve the best food you'll eat and its ok to pay $10,000 for a family vacation then stand in line for 2 hours to ride Small World (so take the overly positive reviews with a grain of salt). The reason I'd recommend this website is so that a person can figure out the best way NOT to stand in line for 2 hours to ride Small World, so that they can avoid making an ADR for lunch at Yak and Yeti on a day that they'll be in the MK and so they won't think that they MUST use FP+ for the People Mover in October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter