Would you feel comfortable relying exclusively on Uber/Lyft?

I've never used Uber however my daughter and sister do all the time - both really like the service and timeliness. My daughter says you can do Uber about a week out to arrange Uber transport from MCO to WDW.

What about getting from MCO to a Disney Springs hotel? Is using Uber/Lyft a reasonable plan, at a reasonable price? My Disney Springs hotel has service to the parks, or I can walk over to Saratoga Springs and take a bus from there, but I have to GET to the hotel from the airport (and back)!

LYNX bus. ($2, $4.50 for day unlimited, $16 for week unlimited)
The LYNX 111 Express goes from the airport to the Sea World area in about 40 minutes. From there you wait about 15 minutes for the LYNX 50 (Disney).

Then the LYNX 50 from Sea World takes about 20 minutes to Disney Springs hotels. Stops are in front of Disney Springs Double Tree, Hilton Lake Buena Vista Disney Springs and Disney Spring transportation center (next to Circus O'leil)

So total time is around 1 hour 15 mintues from airport to door.

This makes it not that much different than Magical Express and probably faster than Mears Shuttle (which will stop at like 7-10 different hotels on it's route).

If the rental car prices don't go do down I will be doing this. I let you all know how it goes when I return!

We would be. We found that we're more likely to use a mix of Disney transportation plus Uber/Lyft, and that in doing that, even when car rental prices were normal, we still saved a few bucks and we never had to drive, which is the real benefit for us, personally. We like driving-free vacations. :)

We would be. We found that we're more likely to use a mix of Disney transportation plus Uber/Lyft, and that in doing that, even when car rental prices were normal, we still saved a few bucks and we never had to drive, which is the real benefit for us, personally. We like driving-free vacations. :)
Other thing with driving is that the Disney Springs and Disney hotels all charge $15-$40 a day for parking. So that cost can add up and you would have to go further offsite for free parking hotels.

When Disney parking was free, places like All Star Mickey's was a pretty good deal.

Would I be getting myself into a tight spot relying only on ridesharing?
Yes.
I'm still struggling to decide where to stay. I won't have a car, and the hotel I'm considering doesn't have a shuttle.
Where you stay will matter on the convenience of getting around. I have seen people rely on public transportation (Lynx) although I wouldn't advise it. But it is a very inexpensive option.

I haven't been to Orlando since Feb. of 2019, but then we did a mini trip before a cruise and used uber exclusively (easy/peasy) and very reliable then. I never then had to wait for than five minutes.

I would be "comfortable" with it, but I can't imagine it'll work out any cheaper than just renting a car.

I personally would be fine using it here or there but not all the time. Too unpredictable with pricing (surges etc) and sometimes timing. Although I know rental car prices are astronomical so it could be your best option

Is there enough drivers? That would be my concern.
Enough drivers? That's something to consider especially if the rental car agency charges for additional drivers outside of your spouse. Don't assume everyone in your party is approved to drive.

Enough drivers? That's something to consider especially if the rental car agency charges for additional drivers outside of your spouse. Don't assume everyone in your party is approved to drive.

I thought they meant enough Uber drivers.

With the price of cars skyrocketing, there may be less Uber drivers as driving puts alot of wear and tear on an Uber drivers car which shortens the life of the car.

Lynx is a city bus. Its not designed for airport passengers with luggage. It will work if you have a backpack or maybe a small roller bag

Lynx is a city bus. Its not designed for airport passengers with luggage. It will work if you have a backpack or maybe a small roller bag
Actually it is. It's a public bus and I see people bring luggage on it from the airport all the time. In fact the LYNX-111 is called the Airport Express and goes from MCO to Sea World.

Actually it is. It's a public bus and I see people bring luggage on it from the airport all the time. In fact the LYNX-111 is called the Airport Express and goes from MCO to Sea World.
Can you stow luggage under the bus? Does the bus have large bins in the bus to stow luggage? Buses to offsite car rental lots do.
Is the bus primarily designed to transport employees to work?

SW allows 2 checked bags, one bin bag and 1 personal item per pax. Such a person would have issues using a public bus.

Last edited:
Can you stow luggage under the bus? Does the bus have large bins in the bus to stow luggage? Buses to offsite car rental lots do.
Is the bus primarily designed to transport employees to work?

SW allows 2 checked bags, one bin bag and 1 personal item per pax. Such a person would have issues using a public bus.
The bus is for the public. For everyone. Hence public bus.

I've seen people with 3 large suitcases on the bus. Yes, it may take more effort and exertion to put them on the bus but not everyone is made of money. For $2 it is a much cheaper option than a Mears shuttle or Uber.

I would be "comfortable" with it, but I can't imagine it'll work out any cheaper than just renting a car.

I doubt it, though I'd be happy to be corrected.

I mean, it depends on the situation, but parking alone at Disney parks is going to run $25 per day. Let's say a car costs $50 per day, that's $75 right there. I've heard Uber quotes for non-peak at around $15 each way, but let's say even $30 each way to account for some peak times, that's running cheaper than a car. And I think every assumption I just made is too pro-rental.

Again, please correct me if I'm missing something.

I doubt it, though I'd be happy to be corrected.

I mean, it depends on the situation, but parking alone at Disney parks is going to run $25 per day. Let's say a car costs $50 per day, that's $75 right there. I've heard Uber quotes for non-peak at around $15 each way, but let's say even $30 each way to account for some peak times, that's running cheaper than a car. And I think every assumption I just made is too pro-rental.

Again, please correct me if I'm missing something.
Car rental should be about $40 per day after taxes and fees. Uber gets expensive quickly if you need to upgrade your service category or add a car seat. You also have the large bookend costs of getting to and from the airport.

But the biggest piece I think you're missing is that you're assuming two rides only. You leave your hotel to go to the park in the morning and you leave the park to go back to your hotel in the evening. If you want to do any back-and-forth, you don't get any of that flexibility without adding another round trip fare.

Maybe it still works out to be slightly cheaper but you're losing a lot of flexibility to MAYBE save, what, $100?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!