Would we like HH?

disynut

DIS Veteran
We have a 5 year old and an 8 month old and are thinking of trying to take off to HH sometime this summer(if we can get ressies--we can be pretty flexible), but not sure if we would enjoy it at this point. With the baby, bike riding would be out, and since I've never been to HH, is the beach like in FLa where the kids could play in the sand or is it rough terrain?

TIA,
Jennifer

I can offer you two fairly strong guarantees.

1) You will love it, especially the wide gentle beach. :cool1:

2) You won't get ressies with your points between June 1 and August 31 2005 :sad2:

That said, give them a call, you have little to lose.

disynut said:
We have a 5 year old and an 8 month old and are thinking of trying to take off to HH sometime this summer(if we can get ressies--we can be pretty flexible), but not sure if we would enjoy it at this point. With the baby, bike riding would be out, and since I've never been to HH, is the beach like in FLa where the kids could play in the sand or is it rough terrain?

TIA,
Jennifer

Jennifer,

Here is my take on things. First I would agree with the previous poster that getting a reservation with points is probably out. Call, wait list if you want but it would be a real stroke of luck to get in now. I would not recommend this resort to you at this point for the following reasons: 1) you must travel to get to the beach. I have a 3 year old and going back and forth to the beach can be inconvenient with a young family. 2) no on site dining at HH. They have a snack bar type set up, that is it. This for our family is a deal breaker right now. How is it fair to make my 3 year old get ready to eat out and then be forced to sit through an hour plus meal? We like to relax and eating out with him is not relaxing. If you eat out at home with your kids then this might not be an issue. Aslo if you plan to cook meals in then this wouldn't matter to you either. We don't cook on vacation, period. We will try this resort down the line but for now it is out for us. If I want a condo stay I'll do that right on the beach. I

Hey Jennifer....

Not that I am an expert but we just got back yesterday from Hilton Head and has a really nice time. Of course it might not be relaxing with a 3 year old!... I can relate to that... I have a 5 year old and a just shy of 2 year old. My parents also came. The weather was great and we really enjoyed it.

From what the other people posted, I might have to agree about getting a reservation... that is what I always heard. HH is my home resort so we got what we wanted.

There is no restaurant right at the hotel itself... There is a window where you can get basic stuff... hamburger, peanut butter and jelly, some breakfast stuff, etc....Shelter Cove is not even a 5 minute walk at the marina and there are some restaurants there...alittle on the expensive side... we ventured out a bit and had a good time...

The beach is nice... calm - I think the kids would enjoy it.... We drove over as opposed to taking the disney shuttle....

Have a great time if you go!... I think you will enjoy it!

The tidal pool that forms at low tide is perfect for little kids. The tides are 7-8 feet leaving a huge expanse of open beach. The sand is hard and easy to walk on or bike on. (No cars allowed.) Finding little crabs and starfish is fun for the kids.

IMHO HH would be as easy with a 8mo as WDW. We have a child with pervasive developmental delay and HH is easier than WDW with her. The bike to the beach is fun and they rent trailers $10 for length of stay. Or you can drive and they have an on-demand shuttle.

If you don't like good restaurants then forget it. Many are family oriented with an atmosphere that wouldn't be disrupted by a crying kid (Crazy Crab comes to mind).

If you're the type that doesn't fret about doing things with an 8mo, then you'll have a great time. If you're not that type, or if you aren't comfortable at the beach, then you won't enjoy it.

Daitcher said:
Jennifer,

Here is my take on things. First I would agree with the previous poster that getting a reservation with points is probably out. Call, wait list if you want but it would be a real stroke of luck to get in now. I would not recommend this resort to you at this point for the following reasons: 1) you must travel to get to the beach. I have a 3 year old and going back and forth to the beach can be inconvenient with a young family. 2) no on site dining at HH. They have a snack bar type set up, that is it. This for our family is a deal breaker right now. How is it fair to make my 3 year old get ready to eat out and then be forced to sit through an hour plus meal? We like to relax and eating out with him is not relaxing. If you eat out at home with your kids then this might not be an issue. Aslo if you plan to cook meals in then this wouldn't matter to you either. We don't cook on vacation, period. We will try this resort down the line but for now it is out for us. If I want a condo stay I'll do that right on the beach. I

I've been to Hilton Head Resort many times .....I haven't counted, but it's at least 15, maybe as high as 20 stays since 1997. My child was 4 on her first visit. You could say she's grown up there, as far as vacations go. I've heard the line 'if I want a condo stay, I'll do that right on the beach' many times. I usually just stay quiet and don't say a word. After all, I don't have enough Hilton Head points to book all my stays at 11 months, and I depend on using my BWV points to stretch out my time there as well as some cash nights. The more people that 'don't' like it, (or think they won't like it as a beach vacation, because after all, it's not on the beach!) the more availability for me!

With that said, to the original poster:
This resort will be perfect for you. It is filled with families with young kids and there are activities just for the younger kids. They have Goofy Bingo where just about every small child can win a small prize(usually a few candies). There are crafts, fishing pole playhouse, story times in PJ's, Shadow's funny bunny hunt, Pirates of The Calibogue - where they do a scavenger hunt around the resort, the unbirthday party where it's every child's birthday, and then the resort itself - which is what people who have never been there don't get - is just a huge playground for children. They can run under the trees, and along the paths, chase the bunnies, (don't worry they won't catch any!), swing in the hammocks, play in the playground under the live oaks, and fish for crabs off the pier. There is a little shuffleboard court, pingpong, and the campfires with smores. Even birdwatching is fun here, as there are many unusual birds. Play pool or checkers in Big Murgies or enjoy a glass of lemonade. Watch for Dolphins in the marsh - I've seen them there, but usually you will have to take a boat or go to the beach house to see some.

Being on DHHIR is an exclusive feeling. You drive over a little bridge, and through the gated entrance and you are still close to everything including the beach, but you have an away from it all feel. Cars are parked around the perimeter or in the parking garage, so - if you stay inside the villa area - there is no traffic. So if you are walking to the pool and the toddler wants to run ahead a few feet, you don't have to run and grab their hand - they can have a teeny bit of freedom. Going up the steps to check in, there is Shadow's doghouse complete with water bowl right on the deck. It's like walking into your own place, just to register -small and intimate- with cookies and lemonade if you arrive around 3ish. Outside, there is a deck area with a barbecue, where you can sit and relax.

The set up at the beach is perfect. There is a pool in the center of a 'square'. Parking underneath or out front. Keyed access. Large 'party' room where you can just relax in the cool and watch tv or play board games, plus a fireplace for chillier months. Signals snack bar, small game room, a small bar, changing and bathrooms, and usually plenty of loungers. A view of the water <g>. A gated access boardwalk to the beach with some outdoor showers to get the sand off you when you come back.

And, with the beach where it is, you can leave all the sand there when you come back to your room! It's easy to access, by bike, by car or by resort shuttle, and back at your resort you are not jammed into a little bit of beachfront access where if you don't have an oceanfront room, why be there?

And...DHHIR is a casual resort. It's just comfortable, all the way around. There are tons of casual dining choices within a five minute walk or drive, plus - you are in a villa with a kitchen. But you don't have to cook - get take away and serve it on your own dining table.

We prefer HH to WDW. No doubt. We love WDW and go there as well, but now...not as often as we used to. HH still has that Disney feel, and the best cast members as well.

Finally - this is one resort, that unless you've stayed there, you really cannot make an informed judgement about.
:earsgirl: :cheer2: :earboy2:

Judique's response was as on-the-mark in describing the HHDVC experience as any that I have ever read. I have been dinged on this board before because of my strong beliefs about the quality of the HHDVC vacation compared to say a Marriott right-on-the-beach in a "bigger, newer, and nicer" condo.

My feelings with the HHDVC resort is that it is like 2 completely different vacations wrapped up in one trip. When you are at the resort, you feel like you are a million miles from "everything" but in 5 minutes you can be at the beach house with a completely different feel.

Our boys are 7/5/2 and love the place. Part of a vacation is the dining out.... we laugh that the biggest decision that we make at HH is where we are eating that day. We are lucky that our kids have no problems in sit-down restaurants. Our only issue is that we try, if at all possible, to avoid long waits (this is a complete waste of valuable vacation time to us) for a table, so we tend to go earlier in the evening and that seems to work out better all for all concerned. Frankly, as I get older, I detest waiting more than 15 to 20 minutes for a table anymore. Sorry about getting off-track.

Bottom line, in our family, the entire experience makes the vacation special and at HHDVC you get 2 great experiences for the price of one.

We are heading down on the 5th of June for 5 nights and boy is the excitement building at our house.

Thanks for the great replies! I knew everyone here would be the best informed! This wouldn't be a "have-to" vacation....DH and I are in the education "business", so we can get away in the summer pretty easy, and can be pretty flexible on the dates. That said, I knew HH was extremely popular, but thought I might just call a few times and see if something pops up(I'm out of points for this year anyway...it would have to be cash). And there was someone trying to rent out a twobedroom for some dates next month on the Rent-Trade Board, so that kind of had my interest as well. But, we wouldn't want to drive the 11 hours to be miserable if there wasn't much to do there for our kids(or if there was lots that the 5 year old wanted to do but couldn't because we'd have the baby...i.e. the biking). But we are pretty much go-with-the-flow type people(could we be anything else and still be educators?lol). So I could see us having a great time, even if we have to split up and one do somethings with ds and the other staying with the baby.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on, just wanted to explain my situation a little more and say thanks for all the help!

Jennifer

I believe the last week of August is open for a 2 bedroom....I called last week and there was availability.

Kim

I say yes, definitely you would love Hilton Head.... I can't wait to go back!...

Hey Neil (OneMoreTry).... I agree with you - It was an awesome week and I was only there once before like 4 years ago and I went the exact same week and had great weather then too!....We plan to go back and do more next time.

This time we had my parents and my dad can be alittle difficult.... I loved your restaurant choices in your email to me... We wanted to do Old Oyster Factory but with my dad freaking out about my son we didn't want to chance it.... and I was told Old Fort Pub and Alexanders was more on the "upscale" side so I didn't even want to think about that.... I had an entire list made out and those restaurants were on it but because of my siutation we changed things around... We still had a great time!

Did you guys see the Shannon Tanner show?... My daughter enjoyed that!

Tanya said:
I say yes, definitely you would love Hilton Head.... I can't wait to go back!...

Hey Neil (OneMoreTry).... I agree with you - It was an awesome week and I was only there once before like 4 years ago and I went the exact same week and had great weather then too!....We plan to go back and do more next time.

This time we had my parents and my dad can be alittle difficult.... I loved your restaurant choices in your email to me... We wanted to do Old Oyster Factory but with my dad freaking out about my son we didn't want to chance it.... and I was told Old Fort Pub and Alexanders was more on the "upscale" side so I didn't even want to think about that.... I had an entire list made out and those restaurants were on it but because of my siutation we changed things around... We still had a great time!

Did you guys see the Shannon Tanner show?... My daughter enjoyed that!

Where was Shannon Tanner? And what was going on in the little amphitheater at Shelter Cove? We didn't get to see that.

On your next trip, I hope you can get to Old Fort PUb. The atmosphere is awesome. Definitely not for little kids -- you wouldn't get to enjoy it. If budget is a consideration, like it is for us, catch the early bird special. $25 for salad, entree and desert with a glass of wine. We were stuffed! After 515pm just the entree is at least $25.

I'm still working on my trip report. It's long. My whole family are huge HH fans. I wish I could say the same for WDW.

That open air stage at Shelter Cove - That is where Shannon Tanner was... My daughter got picked the last night and was so excited... He was good... even did some things for us adults....

Hey - I see you are going to WDW in December.... I have to call - but we would be there the first week. We would miss you guys... bummer!

After the problems I had with my dad - I am not doing a trip report. I will just read yours!... :teeth:

Take Care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter