Would someone please describe SAB?

kalamazoo

Mouseketeer
I keep hearing what an awesome pool it is and I've seen it from outside the fence but never really looked hard. Now I just read a post saying that kids who cannot swim unaided cannot use the slide. What else is there to keep the kids amused? Can adults go down the slide with kids who cannot swim?

SAB is a big water park like complex at the Y & B club resorts.

There are a few different but separate pools all in one big area.
There's a shallow sandy pool and beach area, great for the little kids to play in. A small but deep in some places, lazy river pool and a large sandy bottom swimming pool with waterfalls, an area that leads to 2 hot tubs, an active section where the pool swirls and bubbles, another section where there is sinking sands and over in the left hand corner is where the slide lands into the pool.

There is a 3rd hot tub over tword the sandy kids pool area and a very small kiddie pool with fountains over tword there too and if you cross the walking path - to go over behind the big ship, that is where you would enter to use the big waterslide. You must be able to swim well to use the big slide and they will not let you go down with your child, however, they have a 2nd smaller slide at the back of the big ship for the smaller kids to use - my 3yr old loves it and was able to wear his little swimmies.

HTH's have a great time!

I suspect there was a problem with children wearing life jackets on the slide (they may have gotten "hung up" ) I don't know of any waterparks that allow children to ride with an adult anymore, unless they're on a raft designed for two. The child could get hurt if the adult hits them on impact at the end, or panic if the adult doesn't release them when they go underwater at the end.

The slide is set up in such a way that you can't see the child from both the top and bottom. If there are two parents, I suppose one could wait in line with the child, and the other at the bottom, but the lifeguard at the top would have no way of knowing FOR SURE if there really was someone waiting below. After all, how many parents would "fib" just to get around the rule? :rolleyes: Probably as many who are fibbing by saying their children know how to swim just to let them go down the slide. ;)

There is a lazy river, a large beach play area where even my "able to swim like a fish" son spent over an hour, and a playground. The beach area has hidden springs that pop up here and there, and also fossils to uncover. There is a whirlpool area, but I wouldn't allow a non-swimmer to go in it! I can't remember what else was there.

Scootch, thanks for the added information! I had forgotten about the smaller waterslide, and the waterfalls. (I think they were working on the falls when we stayed there.)

You're welcome!:D Have a great trip! Can't wait for my newest little one to arrive so I can go back again;)

josephine...THANKS so much for that slide show, I am so much more excited to get there now!!!!!

It looked like you can go in the lazy river area even without a tube or even bring a floaty raft ...is that true? Also can you use rafts or noodles elsewhere in the pool???

thanks
denise

There is a real deep about 8' section to the lazy river. SAB is lots of fun especially when it's not crowded. On the slide you are suppose to lay flat back, the lifeguard at the top can see you all the way down until it starts to turn.

Originally posted by princess lovers mom
josephine...THANKS so much for that slide show, I am so much more excited to get there now!!!!!

It looked like you can go in the lazy river area even without a tube or even bring a floaty raft ...is that true? Also can you use rafts or noodles elsewhere in the pool???

thanks
denise

Yes you can swim in the lazy river area but as D&R said it's 8' deep.

I don't think they allow floating raft/mats. I am not sure of the noodles.

Thanks, Scoootch, for the written description - it gave me a really good idea of what to expect. And Josephine, your wonderful slide show was a perfect complement to Scoootch's post - thank you for sharing. SAB looks a lot bigger than I thought it was.

Do they rent the tubes for the lazy river or sell them? Can you have an adult and a child ride one? Do they have pails and shovels for the kids or do you have to bring your own?

p.s. Congrats, Scoootch, on the impending new arrival!

Thanks for the Congrats! I can hardly wait!

As for the tube rentals -- they do rent them, I think they were $3.00 an hour or $10.00 per day and they have both single and double ones so you could get a double for 2 people ;)

They also do allow noodles in the pool in both the lazy river and the sandy bottom bigger pool. We actually had bought our noodle right there at the resort. As for pails and shovels, many people seem to leave theirs behind in the sandy kids area but they come with the kids meals that are sold at Hurricane Hannah's grill right there at the pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter