Worst WiFi ever!

I haven't had as many issues at Disney as some have had. I don't use it for video conferencing or my computer streaming. We use the WiFi mostly through a Roku. Have had good results with it. Mostly YouTube or movies. Kids seem to think there was no difference from home. I do swear by the Roku as a video streamer. They have worked in places where I thought there was no way it would work.

Just got back yesterday from a 3 different resort stay Wifi was its usual embarrassment.

Travesty. Should. Not. Still. Happen.

Second stay in a row in site 419, right next to an access point and I have a say I can’t complain about the Wi-Fi right here.

what is so funny. last week i spent all my time on my hotspot. today my hotspot has been crap and i was getting better reliability with disney wi fi
Wow! You apparently ran so far (or fast) you were transported to an alternate universe. Either that or your hotspot is broken. :)

j

Even when on vacation, there are times I need to do work and I always use my company's secure MIFI to connect to the internet. The free wi-fi you get at resorts and other hotels is never secure and can easily be hacked into.

If no one does, I'll try to do this next time I go down. Can't guarantee I'll find them all but it would be a fun little project.
And if they are like the ones in our hospital, how many are actually online and functioning. :D

j

If no one does, I'll try to do this next time I go down. Can't guarantee I'll find them all but it would be a fun little project.

Maybe you could post a map and we could all crowd source it and update it on our trips down. Like an IT Crowd hidden Mickey hunt
giphy.gif

I used to do wireless surveys at commercial outdoor facilities like Truck Freight terminals; trust me, if you're willing to invest enough in hardware and bandwidth, you can have outstanding WIFI over wide outdoor spaces. Campgrounds have a tradition of assuming that their customers are willing to accept lousy WIFI and/or are not going to use it.

I used to do wireless surveys at commercial outdoor facilities like Truck Freight terminals; trust me, if you're willing to invest enough in hardware and bandwidth, you can have outstanding WIFI over wide outdoor spaces. Campgrounds have a tradition of assuming that their customers are willing to accept lousy WIFI and/or are not going to use it.

There is about 2 AP per loop with a lot of vegetation, 3 in the elongated loops from what I could see. All of them are backhauled and I believe they are only running 2.4Ghz and 2 SSIDs. I mean they could invest in a refresh using those home run points and about 4 more APs per loop meshed on 5Ghz and offering their guest SSID on 2.4Ghz and give everyone some rock solid bandwidth. Whoever they contracted for the wifi install definitely designed for bare minimum.

Ok, so I don’t know how reliable this source is but supposedly they are closing certain loops to install fiber optic cable to the WiFi access points. Crossing our fingers.

So what you're saying is that the WDW management goobs and their interns read the DIS Camping Board?

I wondered where all those <clicks> came from.

Now if they would also stream Bugs Bunny cartoons ....

giphy.gif

Even a fiber-enhanced Fort wifi may not be able to handle the demand of a Bugs-vs-Daffy multiple video stream.

Bama Ed

I saw this on the internets yesterday. There has to be another reason WDW is doing this than simply improving the wifi for the guests. This is a big spend to not get something out of it.

Security cameras? Radio communication with staff? I'm stumped.

j

I saw this on the internets yesterday. There has to be another reason WDW is doing this than simply improving the wifi for the guests. This is a big spend to not get something out of it.

Security cameras? Radio communication with staff? I'm stumped.

j

More fiber in the network could replace some crappy coax in the network to deliver the video channels. Maybe not fiber to the individual campsites but from wherever the head end is for the Fort down to the loops.

Just a guess on my part. :confused3

Ed

More fiber in the network could replace some crappy coax in the network to deliver the video channels. Maybe not fiber to the individual campsites but from wherever the head end is for the Fort down to the loops.
That was my thought too, Ed. Likely has more to do with the CCTV than improving wifi. I guess we'll see. As we have discussed, I think a big factor with the poor wifi is not enough access points. Arc volunteered to walk each loop and map all the APs. :duck:

j

CCTV no longer needs dedicated fiber like it used to. Most of the best cameras are IP based, however, you would need better backhaul bandwidth to support that. I think in general they need bandwidth through the entire facility, plus most of the radios that the staff use are packet radio, which prefer wifi over repeaters. More wifi better coverage for packet radio without having to buy more airtime on the repeater network (ATT providing that.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter