WORST DISNEY DINING EXPERIENCE

our worst dining experience was a complete shock...

we've been going to WDW since 1974 with almost universally outstanding service in the restaurants..

which is why what happened to us at rose and crown took us by surprise...

we had eaten there before, always enjoying the service...
but not on this trip..
it started out fine..
the waitress was as friendly as the CMs always are...
smiling, friendly...
then she asked us where we're from..
and that was it...
she stopped talking to us..
stopped refilling out drinks..
stopped smiling...
only looking our way to give us dirty nasty looks...
if looks could kill, we'd have been dead on the spot..

the service was so shocking and disturbing that as we were leaving the restaurant (after illuminations was over), i sought out the manager and told her about what had transpired...
i have never complained to a restaurant manager at WDW before..
i've only spoken with managers to praise the actions of CMs, not to complain..

but this was so disturbing, i had to speak up..

and in fact, it was so upsetting, we headed over to guest services to let them know what had happened..
again, we had NEVER ever complained about a CM to guest services before, but we felt it was very important to do so in this case...

the CM deserved to be fired for her behavior, though i doubt she was....
and given that she was probably on one of those foreign exchange programs, i don't know if WDW even has the ability to fire them...
perhaps she was reprimanded...
maybe they told her to shape up...
or at least explain to her the american way of serving all guests, not just the ones you're not bigoted against...

anyway...it was upsetting, distressing, disturbing...
and we will never eat at rose and crown again....(burned once, shame on you....etc etc..)
So I need to ask-where did you tell her you were from?

That's crazy.

as i said, we've been going to WDW almost every year since 1974 and had truly outstanding service most of the time and really great service the rest..
this was so surprising....
it takes a lot to get me to go to guest services to complain..
in fact, i never have at WDW....
i've gone many times to say how wonderful this or that CM had been...but to complain? never...
and we really loved rose and crown, and i know i shouldn't generalize from one experience...
but it was so terrible, we really don't want to take a chance on it happening again...
anyway, that was our worst disney dining experience.....

as i said, we've been going to WDW almost every year since 1974 and had truly outstanding service most of the time and really great service the rest..
this was so surprising....
it takes a lot to get me to go to guest services to complain..
in fact, i never have at WDW....
i've gone many times to say how wonderful this or that CM had been...but to complain? never...
and we really loved rose and crown, and i know i shouldn't generalize from one experience...
but it was so terrible, we really don't want to take a chance on it happening again...
anyway, that was our worst disney dining experience.....

:eek:

I'm sorry that happened to you. Someone who can hate someone based on where they live and lay the geopolitical issues of an entire region on one family needs not to be working at Disney.

Israel
we're americans who live in israel

As a kippah-wearing Jewish Disney fan, I'm so sorry that happened to you. That is so not cool--and very much against the rules for CM behavior. I wish you had raised the point in the moment while it was happening. R&C management would have dealt with it immediately. The irony that it happened in World Showcase during Illuminations, of all things, is just pathetic. I'm glad you raised the issue with Guest Services.

Reading through these has taken me to both extremes I have vehemently disagreed with some and totally sided with others. but alas here is my own two penneth
Hate: chef Mickey. it was dirty with food all over the floor a poorly stocked buffet and many Luke warm dishes that had deft not seen a temperature probe.
Hate Tokyo Dining. Disliked food servers were so very by the book it made me feel like an irritant.
Love: Ohanas in the evening, great food and lovely feel to the place.
Love: Crystal Palace, best breakfast on site and always get service.

not that it matters or makes it any more or less acceptable how you were treated but...
where the heck are you from??? I'm just dying of curiosity.

did anyone at Disney ever do anything more than listen to what you had to say?

Don't worry-you're not the only one nosy about this. Ex-husband's home town maybe? Home of the rival football team? If not, where?

Don't worry-you're not the only one nosy about this. Ex-husband's home town maybe? Home of the rival football team? If not, where?
she answered further up. sounds like either flat out anti-semitism or just some hatred based on political reasons. Either way not cool anywhere but especially at Disney.

Yak and Yeti QS - honey chicken w/o the chicken (I'm vegetarian), so it was rice, broccoli, carrots, and gelatinous, sickening sweet honey sauce. Completely inedible and I'm not all that picky. To this day my kids tease me and hold up a bite of meat asking me which I would rather eat - the meat or the honey chicken without the chicken.

What once used to be the one dinner I always had to have, has now turned into a must miss unfortunately :( Tony's used to serve some great specials over the years but no more. The last time I went in 2014 I had a Cioppino dish that had bits of caesar salad shreds accidentally flaked on top when it came out. Thats not too bad, but as I made my way towards the guts of the bowl (and the Campbell's tomato soup-like broth) I started chewing on something that I thought was a piece of chewy calamari..nope..it was a large piece of plastic. Clearly the corner of some industrial food bag...oh brother. I kept trying to deny that my meal was awful, that it tasted like a tin can, that the waiter despised us and no sooner than dessert left the table so did I, for the bathroom:eek: Goodbye Tony's, it was fun while it lasted.

As a kippah-wearing Jewish Disney fan, I'm so sorry that happened to you. That is so not cool--and very much against the rules for CM behavior. I wish you had raised the point in the moment while it was happening. R&C management would have dealt with it immediately. The irony that it happened in World Showcase during Illuminations, of all things, is just pathetic. I'm glad you raised the issue with Guest Services.

that is ironic isn't it..i hadn't thought of it in terms of illuminations (you're right, that's what we were there for)..
we were just sooooooooo embarrassed...too embarrassed to say anything at the time....who wants to bring even more attention to oneself after all...not that we're weird looking or anything...pretty average looking actually......
but as we were leaving i realized i should say something to the manager...
what i can't remember - i have to ask DD, as she probably does (DD was terribly distressed by what happened) - whether i reduced the standard tip or not...you would think i would have, but i can't remember....i tend towards the wimpy when it comes to tips, so i might not have reduced it....i'll ask DD..

Coral Reef at (as it was then known) The Living Seas. The food was "meh," the server seemed like she'd been having a bad day (she wasn't rude; she seemed more sad than anything), and the chef was trying too hard to be creative with the sushi. I don't know what wound up on our plate, but it barely resembled sushi.

It didn't help that Mrs. Homie and I had had a fight that morning. Long story short: she wondered aloud why on Earth I ever thought she would enjoy taking a day off from Disney to go to Universal, vowed never to set foot there again, etc. She demanded that we eat at Coral Reef to make it up to her.

Second place goes to Whispering Canyon. We were seated in an overflow area away from the main action, and were basically eating alone in some back hallway in the resort. The food was just "meh," and the corn-on-the-cob was the worst corn I've ever had in my mouth. I was born and raised in central Illinois: I know from good corn, lol.

that is ironic isn't it..i hadn't thought of it in terms of illuminations (you're right, that's what we were there for)..
we were just sooooooooo embarrassed...too embarrassed to say anything at the time....who wants to bring even more attention to oneself after all...not that we're weird looking or anything...pretty average looking actually......
but as we were leaving i realized i should say something to the manager...
what i can't remember - i have to ask DD, as she probably does (DD was terribly distressed by what happened) - whether i reduced the standard tip or not...you would think i would have, but i can't remember....i tend towards the wimpy when it comes to tips, so i might not have reduced it....i'll ask DD..
You do realize you have nothing to be embarrassed about, right? You were treated poorly. You did not deserve that. It is not cause for embarrassment, it is cause for justifiable anger. Even if you did look "weird" there is still no reason for the treatment you got. I am really sorry that happened to you and especially that your DD was affected. I suppose every child has to learn that people can be jerks, but it's still heartbreaking when that happens.

ps I always overtip too and about the angriest I can muster is 15%. I sometimes find myself explaining after the fact why I tipped "so much" for poor service. I can't help myself :P

Skipper Canteen from our trip this past November. We never heard about it before, but with limited options since we booked about a month after what would have been our 180 day date we decided

I had a steak and I couldn't cut it because it was so tough. Most of it ended up being fatty anyway. My sister had a noodle bowl and the noodles were under cooked. I thought dessert would redeem itself, but it just had an off taste. Maybe it was just me that time. Service was nice on the other hand. I felt bad for wasting food and we didn't have time to send it back since we had other plans after dinner and didn't want to risk missing them. That and I generally hate to complain. I'm a waitress at home every other weekend so I know what it's like.

Unless the menu changes, honestly I don't know what I would have ordered if the steak wasn't on there, I won't go back. That was probably poor planning on our part.

Skipper Canteen from our trip this past November. We never heard about it before, but with limited options since we booked about a month after what would have been our 180 day date we decided

I had a steak and I couldn't cut it because it was so tough. Most of it ended up being fatty anyway. My sister had a noodle bowl and the noodles were under cooked. I thought dessert would redeem itself, but it just had an off taste. Maybe it was just me that time. Service was nice on the other hand. I felt bad for wasting food and we didn't have time to send it back since we had other plans after dinner and didn't want to risk missing them. That and I generally hate to complain. I'm a waitress at home every other weekend so I know what it's like.

Unless the menu changes, honestly I don't know what I would have ordered if the steak wasn't on there, I won't go back. That was probably poor planning on our part.

Simple solution to tough steak. Tenderize it
Man_with_jackhammer_3.gif

You do realize you have nothing to be embarrassed about, right? You were treated poorly. You did not deserve that. It is not cause for embarrassment, it is cause for justifiable anger. Even if you did look "weird" there is still no reason for the treatment you got. I am really sorry that happened to you and especially that your DD was affected. I suppose every child has to learn that people can be jerks, but it's still heartbreaking when that happens.

ps I always overtip too and about the angriest I can muster is 15%. I sometimes find myself explaining after the fact why I tipped "so much" for poor service. I can't help myself :P

yes, that's what i just wrote in the post above....
DD and i think i tipped 10%, which is probably why i went looking for the manager, to explain why i'd done that (since it was a major undertip for me....half of what i normally tip)...

for sure we didn't have a reason to be embarrassed, but it was embarrassing...that was how we felt...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter