World Passport Collection

zzotto

Wilderness Lodge Fans
Gala, Norway. Well, we booked our Norway trip using the World Passport Collection!! Going to Gala, Norway in August.

The amount of points we needed for the week was less than we anticipated - actually less than a stay at the VWL for our normal vacation.

If anyone has been there, please let us know how it was.

So far, the DVC has made it easy!

Please let us know how it goes. Also, if you'll do a review, I'll get it posted on TUG as there are no reviews for that resort that I can see.

Would like to know any one's experience using the passport collection. Sounds like a great way to see other country's.

I've never done it but I'm thinking about it now!

Is it really that simple and the cost seems about the same as a 1 bedroom for a week.

Am I right????

thanks
chris

Originally posted by chrisd596
Would like to know any one's experience using the passport collection. Sounds like a great way to see other country's.

I've never done it but I'm thinking about it now!

Is it really that simple and the cost seems about the same as a 1 bedroom for a week.

Am I right????

thanks
chris
Simple is definitely not the word when it comes to timeshare exchanging. Remember that those that own the top resorts for the top times rarely give them up, just like DVC members rarely exchange. Here's the nuts and bolts of how it works. You call DVC and tell them you want to go to X resort. DVC then looks in II's computer system and sees if it's available. The good stuff will never be so. You then start on ongoing search and if you match, DVC calls you and you say yes or no. Most matches occur at 6 months or less.

Other than the top options during peak times, most other exchanges are definitely a trade down for the DVC member. Direct exchanges are the way to go. Saves on the exchange fees and gives you more options.

Hi Dean we have an RCI membership and have traded often and been to Florida, the Pocono's, Berkshires as well as England with it. As I'm banking weeks and looking for weeks with a similar
Is Interval pretty much the same system where you bank and then search? Is there a fee for each transaction. Are you automatically a member of Interval or do you have to join?

I am interested in your comment about "Direct Exchanges" as I agree a DVC time would be of great value to people looking to trade. If we do jump into DVC is there a mechanism or group that help with Direct Exchanges or is this something you do by word of mouth?

Just rereading this and there are a bunch of questions here but whatever you could answer would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Grumbo

...RCI... Is Interval pretty much the same system where you bank and then search?

II offers a "search first" feature. You may look or "shop" for a specific exchange. When it becomes available, you give them your week. With DVC, you are able to think it over for a day and decide whether to confirm. RCI has a similar feature for specific timeshares (we have it with our Fairfield points). With II, anyone may do this.

Is there a fee for each transaction...

Yes. It's normally higher (closer to RCI's rates) but with DVC, it's $75.

Are you automatically a member of Interval or do you have to join?

Neither. DVC is a corporate member and this is presumably paid for out of member dues. An individual membership may not be used with DVC. So there are no regular individual membership benefits but there's no annual membership fee and a lower exchange fee.

...is there a mechanism or group that help with Direct Exchanges...?

Visit TUG - Timeshare Users Group to learn more about this and get the most out of your timeshare ownership. You can access the Classified listings without joining TUG. But TUG members are able to access the Resort Reviews and Ratings - invaluable when seeking exchanges or considering a purchase. HTH!

Grumbo, just to add a couple of things to Lisa's note about DVC, II and RCI. There are really two parts, one is understanding the differences with II and RCI and the other is the limitations that DVC members have with II. The main differences are the search first, the fact II (NON DVC) will automatically confirm you and that most deposits come ti II a year or less compared to more like 2 years within RCI. With DVC you can only trade to the 300 plus resorts they have deemed worthy, no bonus weeks, no access to cash getaways, no up trades in unit size or season. On the plus side, you can search first routinely, have no II membership fee, have the reduced exchange fee and THEY WILL CALL YOU FIRST AND SEE IF YOU WANT A MATCH.

I'd second the suggestion of TUG as well as the rent/exchange board on this site. Just be aware that DVC is not reasonable to use routinely for exchanging. It's too expensive and most exchanges are downtrades. Good luck.

Dean,

You mentioned that most trades are "down-trades" Which properties in II do you feel are good ones to try and get? Thank you.

Well all is relative of course. I use several criteria when I decide what is a downtrade and what is not. The other considerations are could I rent this for less or could I get the same thing with something that costs me a lot less both in terms of purchase price and yearly dues. In trading I always try to upgrade at least somewhat on every exchange. I always hope to get at least a better resort and/or better week than I give up. DVC is so high up the ladder that either is difficult to do. That means that a lateral trade is about the best you can do.

There are maybe 50 resorts that would be considered even exchanges or better at least PART of the year. Getting a good resort off season or a lessor resort on season does not cut it with me. Getting a trade with 160 points (value $1600) that I could have rented for $700-1000 or could have gotten with an II deposit that cost $3000 up front and yearly dues of $400 just doesn't strike me as a good deal. Here is a partial list of resorts I'd consider a fair exchange. I'll only talk about resorts that either are, were or soon are likely to be on the DVC exchange list.
  1. HI - Marriott's for same size unit or greater.
  2. Royals in Cancun for Xmas to Easter only
  3. Aruba - Marriott only
  4. Key West - Hyatt's and maybe the Galleon.
  5. HH, top Marriott's only.
  6. Williamsburg - Marriott Maybe
  7. Ski areas include Franz Klammer, Marriott's except Streamside, St. James.
  8. Gatlinburg, Branson, NO, NC in general, TX, Puerto Rica, St. Marteen/Martin basically none.
  9. St. John's - The Westin
  10. Bahama's - Atlantis - removed from the DVC list
  11. FL several resorts on Captiva and Sanibel plus most of the Marriott's.
  12. Four Seasons resorts
    [/list=1]

Even then I'd stay away from the resorts off season or look for other options like paying cash. I realize this leaves out a lot of great resorts so if you can do a direct exchange and give up less points, many other resorts become reasonable. There are other resorts both within II and RCI that I'd add to this list. I'm sure I'll think of several as soon as I post that should be added but it's the principal I want to portray. A good example is Kona Coast in HI. While a nice resort in many ways comparable to DVC, it's too easy to get or rent otherwise to make it a good choice or even exchange.

Of course if one gets what they want and want what they get, then have a great vacation, that's certainly ok with me. So each DVC member must decide what fits their needs. I hope this answers your question.

Well, for us it has been incredibly easy so far. We decided we wanted to take a trip to Norway. We looked at the Passport Collection and lo and behold: There is a five star resort in Gala, Norway that seems right up our alley.

With all due respect Dean, you seem to be getting really technical and you obviously know what you are talking about. But if you only have a limited number of days to vacation, why save the DVC points instead of using them to go where you really want to go?

It seems that our last 9 nights in VWL last month cost us 336 points for a 1 bedrrom. We are using 207 points for a two bedroom cabin in Norway. Can we rent it with cash cheaper? Maybe. But why should we? Only to bank our points for 2005?

Next year we are going to VWL in Feb. for 5 dyas (4 nights) and we are going on the DCL in late June. So, the bottom line, using the Interval Int'l exchange was a good fit. Of course, we'll report back after we have done it!

To each his own. One thing is for sure - use them or lose them!

Originally posted by zzotto
With all due respect Dean, you seem to be getting really technical and you obviously know what you are talking about. But if you only have a limited number of days to vacation, why save the DVC points instead of using them to go where you really want to go?
Correct, just answering the question as asked. I did check and can get the same resort for 4th of July next year for a 1 BR using a very cheap II deposit. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so each person needs to make their own decision. My goal is to make sure that DIS DVC members have the info available to them so they can make informed decisions.

Dean - can you explain what you mean that you could get a 1 bedroom in Gala, Norway through II with a small deposit? Do you mean going direct or through DVC.

We went through DVC and were told that there was only a $75.00 transfer fee - no other fees that I am aware of.

Did you go through II's web site? If so, what is there address? Or did you go directly through the resort - again, if so, what is that address?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by zzotto
Dean - can you explain what you mean that you could get a 1 bedroom in Gala, Norway through II with a small deposit? Do you mean going direct or through DVC.

We went through DVC and were told that there was only a $75.00 transfer fee - no other fees that I am aware of.

Did you go through II's web site? If so, what is there address? Or did you go directly through the resort - again, if so, what is that address?

Thanks in advance.
I'm saying that I could use a unit (non DVC) with II directly that cost me on a couple of thousand $$$ and has yearly fees less than $300, then pay the international exchange fee which is slightly higher than the DVC fee of $75. The unit is what you wanted so don't fret, just realize that there may have been other ways to accomplish what you wanted besides trading DVC directly and those other options may or may not have been right for you. Being ski area, winter is high season and summer is VERY low season there. A rental in summer could likely be gotten for $500-700 for a 2 BR, I'm sure winter is a different story. Still, it's the only resort in Norway so please let us know how it goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter