Wondrous Journeys Fireworks Disappointing | 100th Was Awsome

DVacationer

Disneyworld Vacationer
Like many of you, I had heard that the new Disneyland fireworks were amazing and on the level of Disneyland Forever, Wishes, and Happily Ever After. So I didn’t watch the media previews for it and went in blind on the first day of Disney 100th celebration.

This is NO WHERE NEAR ON THE LEVEL OF DISNEYLAND FOREVER OR HAPPILY EVER AFTER. Not even close. Its basically Enchantment (plussed up) with musical influences from Harmonius. It was good. But just good.

I watched it from Mainstreet and the projections were BEAUTIFUL. It was art on the buildings. The segment of Aladdin in Happily Ever After where it was hand drawn scenes of him fighting Jafar and made just for the show, take that and expand it and thats the projections for this show. It was actual cartoon scenes rather then just shapes and effects. The theme song is good but nothing that gets you in the heart like HEA and DL Forever.

The issue I have is, like Harmonius, they take multiple songs and sing them at the same time at the top of their lungs. I HATE that style of music. These songs are legendary on their own, this ruins them. The other issue is there is no big suprises. DL Forever had snow, inflatable underwater plants on top of the roofs on Mainstreet, rotational sparkling fireworks on the castle turrets, it was a spectacle. A true nightime spectacular. Baymax is the only practical and extra thing to this show. Other then that, its just fireworks (and not alot or big) and projections.

side note: Toontown and laying on the grass, runaway railway and its queue are truly AWSOME. And the stainless steel tumbler is BEAUTIFUL. Beef Birria sandwich at jolly holiday is extremely tasety as is the chicken salad at Pacific Wharf. The addition of fountains to sleeping beautys castle moat is PERFECT. Had an amazing time overall.

8272217D-D15B-490C-8197-258E148E884A.jpeg
472A2FA7-BE2A-4624-82D0-C8594B16E302.jpeg
3A764E6B-9683-4B62-876E-17F7D9FE5049.jpeg
4086CD59-0A4C-4A3E-B128-E924B58144BB.jpeg

Glad you had a great time overall! Fun pics!

I’ve seen the Wondrous Journeys show and think it is just spectacular. The focus is all about the amazing projections and some fireworks…ok, a lot of fireworks…my point is that what they can do now from a storytelling perspective with the animation on the castle is just incredible.

Disney pretty much weaves in every major character over the past 100 years. Pretty chaotic and beautiful at the same time.

Disagree on the fireworks! They’re at least comparable to Disneyland Forever. The entire group we were with gave them a 10/10 or 11/10.

The blending of Hercules, Belle, Moana, and Hunchback was our favorite part! Blue Fairy and Baymax felt surprising to us.

Everybody has their own perspective but they were a win for us.

Two websites that I read had really favorable reviews of Wondrous Journeys. And they are not sites that are afraid to criticize Disney where they think they get things wrong. Coincidentally, both sites felt the opposite way about WOC ONE….they felt Disney missed the mark on that show.

Like many of you, I had heard that the new Disneyland fireworks were amazing and on the level of Disneyland Forever, Wishes, and Happily Ever After. So I didn’t watch the media previews for it and went in blind on the first day of Disney 100th celebration.

This is NO WHERE NEAR ON THE LEVEL OF DISNEYLAND FOREVER OR HAPPILY EVER AFTER. Not even close. Its basically Enchantment (plussed up) with musical influences from Harmonius. It was good. But just good.

I watched it from Mainstreet and the projections were BEAUTIFUL. It was art on the buildings. The segment of Aladdin in Happily Ever After where it was hand drawn scenes of him fighting Jafar and made just for the show, take that and expand it and thats the projections for this show. It was actual cartoon scenes rather then just shapes and effects. The theme song is good but nothing that gets you in the heart like HEA and DL Forever.

The issue I have is, like Harmonius, they take multiple songs and sing them at the same time at the top of their lungs. I HATE that style of music. These songs are legendary on their own, this ruins them. The other issue is there is no big suprises. DL Forever had snow, inflatable underwater plants on top of the roofs on Mainstreet, rotational sparkling fireworks on the castle turrets, it was a spectacle. A true nightime spectacular. Baymax is the only practical and extra thing to this show. Other then that, its just fireworks (and not alot or big) and projections.

side note: Toontown and laying on the grass, runaway railway and its queue are truly AWSOME. And the stainless steel tumbler is BEAUTIFUL. Beef Birria sandwich at jolly holiday is extremely tasety as is the chicken salad at Pacific Wharf. The addition of fountains to sleeping beautys castle moat is PERFECT. Had an amazing time overall.

View attachment 735833
View attachment 735834
View attachment 735835
View attachment 735836
So you don’t like belting? Or medleys? But laying on fake grass was exciting. What a..take.

I miss Wishes. That always gave me the most feels.

I hurt my knee and decided to lay off it for a couple weeks. Hopefully I can go on Wed. evening and maybe catch the projections. :)

To me I think Disneyland should've had designed a better fireworks show for the 100th Celebration and I think they rushed Wondrous Journeys in order to prepare for the celebration ahead of time and what it seems is that this show was done with little money. Because what makes these shows special and unique is the wonderful fireworks and music to fit the shows so well for Disneyland. On the singing featured on Wondrous Journeys I think it is wrong to have the singers do medleys of Disney songs and they should've made them sing the whole complete song rather than a medley. Because medleys seem to be the new fad for Disney shows at Disneyland and they are a lot easier for the singers to rehearse and practice than a whole song. And they should put more characters in this new show other than Baymax and the Blue Fairy because it would be nice to see Cinderella or Tiana or Mickey Mouse. But I think this show should've gotten improved before beginning

Disagree on the fireworks! They’re at least comparable to Disneyland Forever. The entire group we were with gave them a 10/10 or 11/10.

The blending of Hercules, Belle, Moana, and Hunchback was our favorite part! Blue Fairy and Baymax felt surprising to us.

Everybody has their own perspective but they were a win for us.
Thats great, wish I felt the same. I’ll keep an open mind and give it another chance.

So you don’t like belting? Or medleys? But laying on fake grass was exciting. What a..take.
Yes. You do know Disneyland is made up of….fake stuff right? Doesn’t mean you cant enjoy Disneyland. Think about that next time you fly over Neverland, stroll through New Orleans Square, or escape from the first order back to Batuu.

We really liked the new fireworks!

That Hercules/Belle/Moana/Hunchback montage hit me in all the feels--but I'm a teen of the 1990s who really likes those movies individually and I thought the mashup was pretty genius.

I can totally see how some people might not like the mix of characters and the lack of lots of the "classic" characters, but I found that refreshing.

Where is the best place to watch this show?
Sounds like the projections on Main Street are a must.

Where is the best place to watch this show?
Sounds like the projections on Main Street are a must.
Yes Mainstreet was fantastic. Unless you want to secure a spot in fron of the castle hours in advance. Definitely skip smallworld and rivers of america viewing areas. The star is the projections and Mainstreet & the castle is where its the best.

We saw this day 1 from Its a Small World and you see all the projections on there... not sure where the hate comes from? I enjoyed it from there, and would only complain that you have to choose to look at the fireworks OR the projections versus when you are right in front of the castle and can see it all at once. I'm not a local though, so I don't have the ability to try a whole slew of locations. Being able to show up 30 minutes before showtime and still be very close to the projections was great.

I also really appreciate medleys rather than hear the same song, again, over and over. If anything that is what I am starting to really be irked by with these shows. We did Wonderous at Disneyland and then ONE over at DCA the next night and even then it felt a little like Deja Vu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter