Woman awarded $2.4 million in lawsuit

Hello all. I am Karlene Chambers, the women in the thread. I am 42 and my daughter is 11. The person 'ThiryYearsAsNurse' Is a liar. I am from Jamaica. And I missed work for 2 months (counting Christmas and Thanksgiving :( ) on jury duty and in the hospital. I didn't even win all my money. The lawyers took about 55%. I bought a house, and a car. And I don't know why the 'THirtyyearsasnurse' person is being rude and talking crap about me.

Ps: i just want to use this icon: :laundry: :rotfl2: :cool1::badpc::happytv::dance3::rolleyes1:yay::woohoo::3dglasses:wizard::worship::surfweb::listen::furious::hyper::stir::rotfl2::):cool1::rotfl::confused3:thumbsup2:goodvibes;):lmao::banana::banana::banana:

This is a five year old thread and 3 years old from the last post.

Karlene, are you really going around Googling yourself to correct what another Internet poster has said about you? :confused3

So this happens often? :scared:

It happens a lot more often than it should. I watched a news program recently about this subject. Even though they are supposed to count the sponges, ones get left behind. They say it happens more often in large individuals. A doctor in Florida is working on a strip that will be embedded in the sponges. They will have a wand device to pass over the patient. If any sponges are left inside, they will show up.

Wow. I just noticed how old this thread is.

I KNOW what happened in that operating room because I WAS THERE!!!! All of the nurse were crying their eyes out because the second tower collapsed DURING the c-section!!! The nurse who was RESPONSIBLE for COUNTING ths sponges thought her uncle was in the first tower!!! It was terriible!! SHE MADE THE MISTAKE and she ADMITTED IT!! Unfortunately it is a PUBLIC hospital so the patient only got $50,000. She wanted more so she went after the "deep pocket". The doctors lawyers were also representing the hospital ( big mistake!!) so they made the doctor "admit" liability so he would not point fingers at the NURSE WHO WAS ACTUALLY THE ONE 100% AT FAULT and NOT HIM!!!! It gets so much worse... The lawyers refused to explain to the jury how sponges are counted in the operating room!! The jury did NOT know this is strictly the nurse's responsibility during surgery!!! The hospital also admitted 100% liability for the radiologist NEVER telling the doctor an X-ray had even been performed! The radiologist NEVER called anyone to tell them the results and the results NEVER were put on the chart!! The doctor was thrown into the lions den and left for DEAD!! He had ZERO responsibility for this mess!! Then the insurance company REFUSED to pay one dime of the award! They had gotten an OFFER TO settle the case in Dec 2006 for $250,000 ( less then the malpractice policy) and NEVER told the doctor about it and then REFUSED the offer!!! The doctor was surrounded by incompetant lawyers and nurses and a FRAUDULENT insurance company. He was followed by PI's and threatened constantly. If anyone thinks for one minute he did anything wrong then you were misled by lying media and lawyers. This doctor is a KIND and GENTLE man who would never had hurt a FLY!! His patients LOVED him and were very happy. He saved many many women during his career. Second generations of patients would go see him as instructed by their mothers!! People would fly back to the area just so he could take care of them!! How horrible for this to have happened to a wonderful person like him and shame on anyone who thinks he desrved this mistreatment. The justice system is broken..

well something similar happened to me with Dr. Becerra when he left a gauze inside of me in 1996!

OOOO a zombie thread.
7 out of 10 zombies say they should be compensated with a new human to eat if they get a nasty sponge inside.
2 out of 10 said sponge? Send a nurse to give me a sponge bath and I'll have her for dinner.
The last zombie was drooling so we got out of there quickly.

The new posters with like 1 to 3 posts give me the creeps. Why do I feel like this thread is made up of the same poster with different ID's? Maybe there really wasn't a court case. The link in the original post links to nothing. Maybe the doctor is really the patient! ;) It really does feel zombie-like...

Every time before pilots can start there engines they (captain and first officer)have to go thru a checklist. I understand some hospitals are adopting this procedure Everything has to be accounted for using a checklist.

The new posters with like 1 to 3 posts give me the creeps. Why do I feel like this thread is made up of the same poster with different ID's? Maybe there really wasn't a court case. The link in the original post links to nothing. Maybe the doctor is really the patient! ;) It really does feel zombie-like...

It was a real case.

http://apps.17th.flcourts.org/2007-42-Civ.pdf

Case # 03-15639 (25)
Chambers vs. Becerra

Strangely enough the keywords show up on a lot of iffy looking websites for legal services. However, I found one reference to it in a well-known newspaper website.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...7_1_bees-broward-sheriff-s-office-auto-repair

Fort Lauderdale

Jury awards $2.4 million in malpractice case

A jury has awarded a Broward woman $2.4 million in a medical malpractice suit stemming from a flawed C-section, her attorneys said Wednesday.

After Karlene Chambers, 37, gave birth to her daughter in September 2001 at Memorial Hospital West in Pembroke Pines she continued to have severe abdominal pain, said Attorney Crane Johnstone. She later learned that the cause was a one-foot-by-one-foot piece of gauze that Dr. Joseph Becerra had left in her uterus, attorneys said. The gauze bred a severe infection, and Chambers might not be able to give birth again, Johnstone said.

Becerra, who practiced in Pembroke Pines and is not employed by the hospital, could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

The jury's decision came late Tuesday, attorneys said.

It was a real case.

http://apps.17th.flcourts.org/2007-42-Civ.pdf

Case # 03-15639 (25)
Chambers vs. Becerra

Strangely enough the keywords show up on a lot of iffy looking websites for legal services. However, I found one reference to it in a well-known newspaper website.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...7_1_bees-broward-sheriff-s-office-auto-repair

Fort Lauderdale

Jury awards $2.4 million in malpractice case

A jury has awarded a Broward woman $2.4 million in a medical malpractice suit stemming from a flawed C-section, her attorneys said Wednesday.

After Karlene Chambers, 37, gave birth to her daughter in September 2001 at Memorial Hospital West in Pembroke Pines she continued to have severe abdominal pain, said Attorney Crane Johnstone. She later learned that the cause was a one-foot-by-one-foot piece of gauze that Dr. Joseph Becerra had left in her uterus, attorneys said. The gauze bred a severe infection, and Chambers might not be able to give birth again, Johnstone said.

Becerra, who practiced in Pembroke Pines and is not employed by the hospital, could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

The jury's decision came late Tuesday, attorneys said.

Oh I'm sure it was a real case! I was just joking because of all the twists, with one of the supposed nurses commenting a few years later and then supposedly the patient a few years after that, then supposedly another patient yet a couple years after that. I was just wondering what the next twist would be - is the doctor really the patient? Only joking! ;) Not about the actual patient and plaintiff in the case though, that is a terrible thing to have gone through.

It happens a lot more often than it should. I watched a news program recently about this subject. Even though they are supposed to count the sponges, ones get left behind. They say it happens more often in large individuals. A doctor in Florida is working on a strip that will be embedded in the sponges. They will have a wand device to pass over the patient. If any sponges are left inside, they will show up.

Wow. I just noticed how old this thread is.

I know it is an old thread, but I've actually looked at this as part of the OECD's report (done every two years). I cannot link to the data (the way the website is set up, I can only link the main page), but in 2013 the US report a "foreign body left in" incident in 7.8 per 100,000 discharges. This isn't always what we'd consider "surgery" (i.e. in the OR), but any procedure. I'm not sure exactly what the US data is based on (I was responsible for doing the Canadian results) but I know it only captures cases where they figure out the problem during the same hospital stay (meaning that if someone is discharged and then comes back with a problem, that case isn't captured), so the actual number is slightly higher.

http://stats.oecd.org/index.aspx?DataSetCode=HEALTH_STAT#

It is under "Patient Safety" within "Health Care Quality Indicators".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter