Wk of Oct 30--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

NO worries Nancy--I had omitted the part where he suddenly became coach-therapist-doctor and basically was contrary to anything he said. We don't have the best of relationships--so there are some war wounds in there. He sent an apology. But man, I am still angered.

In my surgery--they didn't repair anything...so there is nothing to heal from except the actual surgery itself. We got full rotation in the leg on the bike yesterday at PT as well as lifting 25 pounds..and doing the leg press which uses tension rods for resistance and I could do that. The surgery was done b/c the orthapedist was confident that long term (aka--2 months from now)--it wouldn't have any impact negatively on the marathon--I might be a bit slower, but I could still finish "pain free" from the problem I had.

I'm not doing the marathon b/c of him--I'm doing the marathon b/c as long as I monitor my knee and it allow it to heal...I will be able to do the marathon. Had this been a ligament tear or something worse---then the marathon would have been medically impossible.

My stuff for today:

3 sets 15 reps of PT exercises (did you know that 2 days of immobility and 2 days of limited mobility--kills your quad?....that sucker disappeared!!!!)

15 minutes exercise bike for range of motion--hey the bad leg can do a circle now--a slow one...but it is progress!

40 mintues cardio while icing bad knee (on chair)--one legged bike pedaling--12 miles.

:)

Good news is--I can just about see my knee cap without probing for it :) And it is getting less and less stiff (from fluid) when I bend it 90 degrees.

I am on PT orders to stop walking with a gimp (so no limping!!!).

Calcio said:
What I need is someone running next to me the entire time with a watch and a hammer. The watch for a sustainable pace, and the hammer to hit me when I get carried away. Thanks Christa for offering pacing help. If you'd like to carry that hammer, I'd really appreciate it :teeth: . What times are you guys thinking of shooting for on Saturday and Sunday? I do think being with others would help me achieve this frightening goal, and if my likely pace fits with your group it would be nice to be among new friends for the distance.
I have not gotten in touch with Ron yet, (He ran Marine Corp this weekend)but he paces us a little slower than what I normally run. This is great for a Goofy!
I'm thinking a comfortable pace for the 1/2 will be around 10:30/mile and the full around 11:00. I am going to walk the water stops on the full for sure. If I do those paces, I'd be quite thrilled!! Those would be well within my training paces (I think) I'm going to try a back to back this week and see how it goes. So far my LR's are up to 15 (last week, but I counted the trail run/race - which clearly was a much slower pace) This week is 17 and I'm going to do 8 the day before. I have to update you if my projected pace changes significantly. I am not usually sore after a LR, but I am sore from the trail run, so I'm going into this week at a disadvantage. Hey, what better way to train for goofy?
I would love to run/walk with any of my WISH friends for any of the races!!!!
I am with Melissa on this one! 10:30 or so for the 1/2 and 11:00 for the full sounds so good! Ron may pace a little slower than this, not sure! We always have a BLAST with him though. Taking pictures, talking to people, and, oh yeah, running. :rotfl:
Anyone is more than welcome to join our little ship of fools though. I would love to run with you guys at least parts of the race.We all need to find out what corral we are in or meet somewhere the mornings of the race. :wave:
Christa

Oh...One more thing.....
Lisa - good luck with the dad issues! Sounds like you are able to tell him your feelings. That is good...even if he does not get it. Good luck with the training! YOU CAN DO IT!
:banana: :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2: :banana:
Christa

Sunny - :rotfl2:
Lisa - :grouphug:
Craig - Doing 10:30s ans 11's right now, signed on for 12:30's. SHould be somewhere in between. I'll carry the hammer if this pace suits for the full, but I think you should add some walk and be slower.
Helen - WTG on beating her! Gloat away!!!!
MelR - Those rocks were amazing! Wow!

Update on me: Ran a half mile and hip hurt. I hobble so badly that I'm afraid I'll hurt something else if I keep it up. I think I ran just under a mile total It's getting better, though, because I can walk fine today. Doing a hot patch and iced last nicght. Will do a careful Curves wo tonight and ice and hope things are better Wednesday. I'm so afraid of not being able to do my 14 and never catching up though. This stinks. :wizard: to everyone else who's injured. I know it could be worse, but even this is killing me.

So, I'm thinking it's a pulled muscle and staying away from running seems to have helped a lot. Is it worth going to a Dr. or chiroprator? Is there andything else they can do for a pulled muscle? There's a local chiropractor who is a runner and has worked with olympic runners. I'm tempted to see him, but do you think it will accomplish anything?

Hey Carrie--after my sacral issues last December on my 20 mile run...I didn't do a real run for practically 2 weeks. Missing 1 long run won't kill you :) It may even make you stronger ;).

Be well and good luck!

MTM says take 3 days off for an ailment--try again--if the problem persists take another 3 days off..if it still persists--see a doctor :). That's the only info I have for you.

A massage therapist may be able to help get surrounding muscles to relax and a doctor may be able to prescribe a muscle relaxer if the muscle just isn't giving in. (As a temporary measure to help expedite healing).

Thanks Lisa! Looks liek I need to read MfM a few more times.

Lisa:Sorry your dad is being such a butt-head. Don't let it get you down; just use it to fuel your determination:-)

Craig: I plan on runing/walking the 1/2 with dh, his first race, and saving myself to run about a 10:30-11:00min/mile for the marathon. I ran it last year in a very comfortable 11:14 pace. I if you would like help with your pacing, I'd be more than happy to assist if our paces are comparable.

Christa/Mel: Would really appreciate a friendly face to run the full with if we're still basically running the same pace as the race approaches.

As far as training for the Goofy, I'm putting the plantar faciitis behind me and it's full-steam ahead. I'll be doing 8 miles on Saturday and 14 on Sunday. Next week will be my first 20 mile run on Sunday. At this point in time, I am actually looking forward to it :-)

OK its confession time.

I have been holding a secret mostly because I'm almost superstitious when it comes to my knee. My confession is: I have knee trouble :sad1: I don't talk about it because I don't want to speak something into existence that might nto really be there... But its there and its getting worse. So what do I do? I am so clueless. I've never been to a dr for an injury. Do I see an ortho? I actually had my annual physical last week and mentioned it to my pc. She said "oh just rest it and cross train". She didn't actually look at it. I think it might be fluid under the knee cap. I don't want to wait until December to find out its gotten too bad.

I'm very bummed. I've actually started and deleted this post several times. I don't want to admit this.

Lisa-- I'm amazed at what a quick turn around you had in getting an initial apt., getting a diagnosis and then having the surgery. The way my health care system works I'll be lucky if I get an intial apt in the next two months. :(

Sunny, Ortho...before it gets worse.

I'd also suggest ortho/therapist script for the muscle injuries.

But, that's b/c I love our ortho dude so much. He has done woders for my DH.

Nancy, you are a great cheerleader! Thank you for being here. Hope your continue to train and get that pace up a bit for the next race.

Hi everyone,

I am now home from sunny warm Texas to the freezing temps of the north. Though temps are supposed to be gorgeous this weekend.

Thanks for all the :hug: and :wizard: everyone!

PT Info – Okay I was worked on twice while in Texas and was told that I basically have a muscle knot on the sciatic nerve which is causing it to be pinched. The knot will not release at this point because it is too inflamed. The plan is to ice the area while doing PT exercises and to take muscle relaxers at night. I was told absolutely training until I go a week pain free because it will only make it worse. I can use a bike or elliptical though to keep up the cardio. Once the muscle releases I can do walking but no running until at least after Thanksgiving.

Based on the above is 2006 out of the question?

Minnie

Melissa, Christa, Sara, and Interested Others

I'm up for a discussion about running as a gang (could we all get jackets and a secret handshake :teeth: ). It looks like our paces for the races are all pretty similar, so we may be able to make this work.

From reading your posts I think you guys are being much more realistic and consistent than I am. You all are talking around 10:30 for the half, and a bit above 11 for the full. I was thinking about 9:30 for the half and 12 for the full which is probably too big a difference.

Again, please fell free to send me a private message, or just avoid the middleman and contact me through my e-mail account. If we think it will work we'll need to coordinate the mornings and corrals. Since the start involves a cast of thousands, if we're not coordinated we'll never find each other.

Thanks

Craig

Wow! We have a celebrity on board! Congratrs Lily to being a new mod! :cheer2:

Calcio said:
Melissa, Christa, Sara, and Interested Others

I'm up for a discussion about running as a gang (could we all get jackets and a secret handshake :teeth: ). It looks like our paces for the races are all pretty similar, so we may be able to make this work.

From reading your posts I think you guys are being much more realistic and consistent than I am. You all are talking around 10:30 for the half, and a bit above 11 for the full. I was thinking about 9:30 for the half and 12 for the full which is probably too big a difference.

Again, please fell free to send me a private message, or just avoid the middleman and contact me through my e-mail account. If we think it will work we'll need to coordinate the mornings and corrals. Since the start involves a cast of thousands, if we're not coordinated we'll never find each other.
Craig
Hey, aren't ya wearing our Team shirts? :earseek:
And, when we are done with the race please look for each other at the "W" sign. They have signs posted so members may find you and most go by last name. OUR last name is "WISH"...please wait for me there. :pug:

:wave:

To all those injured/hurting... :grouphug:

Lisa, sorry about your dad. How frustrating. You seem like a VERY positive person, don't let him bring you down. My dad and step mom don't even acknowledge my running, so I've learned to not discuss it with them. Very sad. :guilty:

Sunny, I have to agree with Lily, Orthopaedist today! ;) At least call. Maybe just a little PT will do the trick. Rest and cross-train...ugh! I don't like hearing that either. :rotfl:

As for me...sniff, sniff...I'm not going Goofy...(that was hard to write :rotfl2: ). I too, injured my knee (IT band) three weeks before Chicago marathon. Two different Ortho's told me to go ahead and run Chi, but rest after. Well, I've rested and it's a little better, but I'm not ready to jump into training for a full/both. I will race (hopefully) the half and save my knee for the big spring race. I'm just sad. Goofy sounded so fun! And, all you energetic folks are going to have such a good time. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Happy training!

Sara

Thanks Lily and Sara

I called and have an apt for Nov 16th. I've done some internet research and I'm pretty sure its runner's knee. I probably need to have my gait evaluated and (gasp) possibly change shoes.

Sunny

Sunny--any problems that I'd like my insurance to pay for..I have to first go to my Primary Care Provider. It was one week to get my appointment..I have an HMO--but b/c of the company hubby works for (a big one)--the ortho said it functioned more like a PPO and he didn't have to get all the approvals beforehand.

For runners knee--you might be given a strap that you where below the knee--some use the Cho-Pat a double strap for above and below the knee...it helps prevent the grinding that is runner's knee. If it is true runner's knee it isn't a big deal--the running creates the sensation and the strap prevents stuff from rubbing so the sensation doesn't get created :).

Sara--a PT might help you with that IT band. I learned to use an exercise ball to massage mine out--painful for the first few times you try it--but it gets better and works so well!

Lisa, exercise ball? Like the one you sit on and do sit ups or something smaller? Thanks for the advice. I do have an occasional PT visit. Mostly exercises to strengthen the knee/hip.

Good luck Sunny! I hope you figure out the problem...soon! :goodvibes

Sara

sara said:
Lisa, exercise ball? Like the one you sit on and do sit ups or something smaller? Thanks for the advice. I do have an occasional PT visit. Mostly exercises to strengthen the knee/hip.

Good luck Sunny! I hope you figure out the problem...soon! :goodvibes

Sara

LIke one you use for weights....very complicated explaining--I explained it once and everone said it was too hard...but it is very easy.

You do a side plank (imagine...one hand on floor --you position yourself on the ball and your feet on the floor). The ball starts at the top of the IT band (near the top of your thigh) and you move your body to get the ball to roll down the IT band and along your thigh. When you get to a tender spot--you stop...maybe teeter back and forth over it--when you get a good release..continue on down the leg.

Warning--this can be very very painful at first, so you will want to take a gentle approach. It will help loosen up the IT band.

gatorphipps said:
Anyone is more than welcome to join our little ship of fools though. I would love to run with you guys at least parts of the race.We all need to find out what corral we are in or meet somewhere the mornings of the race. :wave:
Christa

Christa, I would like to join the ship of fools too! I am just doing the marathon, this being my first, I would like to start with a 10:30 - 11:00 pace as well.

What happens if we are in different corrals?

Sunny, since it is time for confession time, I might as well join in too. :wave2: My butt/IT band/hip flexor/knee (yes pretty much my entire right leg has been giving me trouble. Do I need custom insoles?? Piriformus, sciatica problems, tight quad/hip flexor problems, well I am tired of guessing so I am off to see my PCP in a few hours. I am icing, IBFing, stretching, etc. etc. way too much, there has to be something else I can do.

I saw a massage therapist yesterday, she said there was a muscle beside my IT band that was a tight as a drum??? When she worked it I could feel it from my hipflexor to my knee. We will see what the Dr. says today.

Congrats Lily on your new title.

Lisa thanks for this advice.....MTM says take 3 days off for an ailment--try again--if the problem persists take another 3 days off..if it still persists--see a doctor .

Minnie, I really have no advice, except to just listen to your body, you are the best judge of what your body can do. Good luck.:wizard:

Colleen

Christa, Colleen, Sara, Craig and Lisa - uhhhhhh - how do we actually find out what corral we are in and how do we ensure we are in the same one. I put my best 1/2 time down i think it was 2:09 (can't remember the time, but the pace was 9:59) and I think I put projected finish at 5:15 for full. Is that 2 different corrals and how do they/i choose? I'll change it so we can all get together if someone can tell me how.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter