Wk of Nov 20--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

It is hard to believe that it is getting so close. I am doing OK on the MFM 1/2 training schedule. I didn't get my long walk in yesterday due to Christmas Parade, Scout Popcorn, etc. but I will be getting it in today.

We leave for WDW Friday morning and I am not going to lose my focus on getting prepared for the 1/2.

I had the funniest thought yesterday, this will be my 2nd 1/2 WDW marathon, maybe I should think about participating in the full next year. :eek: Not sure where that thought came from but will have to really think about it.

TammyNC said:
I had the funniest thought yesterday, this will be my 2nd 1/2 WDW marathon, maybe I should think about participating in the full next year. :eek:.

Tammy, definitely go for the full in 2007!! It is the only natural progression. Go for it!

MelR-- I'm not running Goofy, but the lessons I am learning for myself is: a little extra speed means a lot less endurance. I don't know if that's true for everyone, somepeople might be more speed oriented and struggle more with distance. But, I would ask yourself what does it mean to you to run the half at 11:00 instead of 10:30. If there isn't a big difference in what it means to you I would say by all means run at 11:00 and feel good for the full. This past Thurs I ran 10 with my speedy friend from the gym. I knew I was running too fast for myself but I thought "hey, its only 10, I can push it out". I barely made the last mile. Once we hit the 9th marker I told her to go on ahead and at first she said, "I'm good, don't worry about it" at which I thought, "DARN, I want you to go ahead so I can lay down!!!!" :rotfl: Then Saturday was a totally pleasant 20 miler at much below my ability. I know one thing, I don't want to hit that feeling I had at mile 9 early on in the Full. I know I could blow the race if I get too lofty with my pace, and I know I can run it if I'm careful. So why do we keep pushing for speed anyway?

As for the iPod, I had 2 shuffles which both DIED prematurely (sent back under warranty, etc). I found out alot of people have trouble with shuffles using Windows XP so I'm a bit leary to go the iPod route again. Although I think its only the shuffles that have trouble. I'll think about it!

I had my second race nightmare last night. I was getting into my coral and realized I never got my packet, I never got my chip, I never got my WISH t-shirt, I never made arrangements to meet up with anyone, not even my family!!!!! It was very scarey.

Speaking of music, I stumble across a song called "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" by Iron Maiden. I'm not an IM fan, but with a title like that I just had to download it! I listend to it every LR now but it doesn't move me like Scooter ;) Here's the lyrics:

The tough of the track
With the wind
And the rain that’s beating down on your back
Your heart’s beating loud
And goes on getting louder
And goes on even more ’til the
Sound is ringing in your head
With every step you tread
And every breath you take
Determination
Makes you run never stop
Got to win got to run ’til you drop
Keep the pace hold the race
Your mind is getting clearer
You’re over half way there
But the miles they never seem to end
As if you’re in a dream
Not getting anywhere
It seems so futile

Run on and on
Run on and on
The lonliness of the long distance runner

I’ve got to keep running the course
I’ve got to keep running and win at all costs
I’ve got to keep going be strong
Must be so determined and push myself on

Run over stiles across fields
Turn to look at who’s on your heels
Way ahead of the field
The line is getting nearer but do
You want the glory that goes
You reach the final stretch
Ideals are just a trace
You feel like throwing the race

Sunny

I can always count on Sunny to send me listening to more great music! can't wait to check that out. Hopefully they have it on itunes.

Well, not much going on here in the way of training. I had shifted my schedule back a week because I was supposed to have an ugly spot removed this past Thursday. So, I did 7 miles last weekend and would only have to do 3 this weekend (can you imagine? ME? saying "only 3 miles?" unbelievable!) Anyway, the surgery will have to be rescheduled to January because of a death in my "family" -- my best friend's mom, who was a second mom to me from the moment I was born, was buried Friday. Long, sad story, but the bizarrest thing is it was a series of heart attacks after "routine" knee replacement surgery. Horrible.

So, Howard and I went to the Y yesterday morning (it was mid 30s here when we woke up). I did 3 miles on the TM in 42:36 (14:12 pace). That included a couple of jogging spurts. I was glad to be able to go back to 4 mph after each jog. It used to be that the recovery completely wiped out my pace. I am feeling optimistic this weekend. After a sad start on Friday and even having to be at work all day today, it's a bright sunny day. DS12's play was awesome and his performance drew "rave reviews!" His "soliloquy" stole my breath away -- thank God I've been working on cardio, because I don't think I breathed much of the 5 minutes he was alone in the spotlight!

Happy trainng everyone! No packets here yet, but 7 weeks still feels amazingly close! Looking forward to "training" at Disney's DVC Hilton Head Resort later this week. Then it will really seem real! :goodvibes

Melissa - You asked if I was sore after my doubles? Not yet. I have gotten up to 10 on thursday and 18 on Friday. It was hard, but I did it and with 10 min miles on the 18. DH and I plan to take the 1/2 nice and slow. I don't care about my time on a 1/2...I already have a good time for this distance. I just want to finish the ful the next day. I think going to an 11min mile is wise. We may even go slower.
At mile 13 of the 18...I told DH that I felt like I was at the end of a Marathon. He reminded me that my body thought I was at mile23 b/c of the LR the day b/4.
Christa

Morning all: did my 18 miler this weekend, pace was 3.40 which I was happy with - it would have been 3.30 if I hadn't felt violently sick at about 13 miles so had to walk for a bit. Worked out, I can't only run on powerade, I have to have water too . I'd taken three mini bottles of Powerade out with me, instead of my 2:1 ratio and I think I was just sugar loaded. Once I got to a water fountain and filled a bottle with that instead I felt much better- and it did convince me that I really am not missing out by not using GU, I just don't function well with that much sugar in my system. I was a bit stiff afterwards, but it had cleared after my nap which I'm thinking is good - I too had that 'I'm gonna do this aren't I' moment when I finished. My feet are wrecked though - I have two black toenails after my last half, a massive blister on my big toe and mini blisters on pretty much every other toe, I'm now running with my toes taped up, I feel like a boxer!

Anyway, that's all for me today. Oh and v happy to hear Colleen's 'discouraged' headphones' wordage - been having horrible visions of getting to the finish all ready to pick up my medal and being told 'no sorry, we have identified you as an illegal headphone user between miles 18-21 - no medal for you young lady!!!' Helen

Sunny and Christa - I did my LR for the week today b/c phil is on-call over the holiday and obviously the boy won't be in preschool. It was a shorter one (15 miles) I decided to take it slow b/c I did the 18 on thurs and was still sore (not bad. just muscle soreness, but no probs walking or functioning) yesterday morning. I think the climbing helped work the soreness out. Anyway, I averaged around 10:54 and my last 2 miles were by far my fastest. One of those has a huge uphill.

I guess I started getting greedy for pace and forgot my underachiever's approach. I'm planning on really cutting back the pace on the half so that I don't feel to tired. My real goal is just to finish both. I was thinking of you today, Sunny, while I was running my relaxed pace. I know you did the same this week and enjoyed it. I also know that when I try to push my limits for any distance, I am more prone to pain and minor injuries! Today was a slow enough pace that I did fine. I got tired, but finished stronger than I usually do and most importantly, I DON"T FEEL THE NEED FOR AN ICE BATH!!

Christa - you must have a bod of steel!!! I can't believe that you are not sore!!!!! You are my hero!!!!!! (even if you are the evil queen!)

Sunny - sorry to post again, but I forgot. I have never had any ipod probs, but we use a mac (figures doesn't it? I'm left handed too!)

Anyway, I was thinking, if you ordered one from the apple refub site, you might just get your old one back!!! :rotfl2:

Hi gang!

I've been doing alot of cross training, but not alot of walking....too sore.

Has anyone received their marathon package yet? Just wondering. Thanks :cool1:

Sunday's should not be rest day for the MFM walk the half. DD2 and I went to Green Lakes and walked 2 miles again today. Who could pass up 56 an sunny ater yesterdays 42 and overcast. The weather can't make up its mind. Shouldn't complain, there isn't 4 feet of snow on the ground.

Rest for me today!

I really enjoyed everyone's photos of their training course. I was thinking yesterday that I wished mine was scenic enough to post, but I just run through various subdivisions. I've been going back through the old posts to create a training journal and just got up to March, the weekend I did my very first race ever (a 1 mile fun run). We were out there today so I thought I could post photos of that place.

Siesta Key Beach
77486Image023.jpg

Here's me:
77486Image013.jpg

Hard to see, but those closest figures are DD12 and DD2.
77486Image014.jpg

Had a great LR today! Did 7 miles here are my splits:

.5 (warm up) 18.20 pace
6.25 14.33 pace
.34(cool down) 18.23

I was very pleased with that :Pinkbounc :banana:

Now comes my confession time. The reason I was so please is because my foot is stil hurting. When I started out, I had a headache & my ankle hurt so I was worried I wouldnt finish at all. It feels like the tendon on the top of the foot going up to the ankle. Weight doesnt bother it, just certain movements. It had started getting better, but then got worse again after Friday's SR. I guess I'm going to have to break down & go to the DR. I dont know why I dont want to go so bad, I dont think she will tell me not to do this & common sense tells me that its better to get it taken care of now before we get too close to the race. I know she'll do what she can to keep me racing. I am also having circulation problems in the feet & hands when I exercise.

Still no packet for me.

Cam- I am so jealous you get to go to Hilton Head

Helen-good job on the LR. Poor feet!

Sunny-love the song. I still need to download some Scooter.

Mel-great pics, dont worry- I only have boring neighborhoods too! At least I wont ever have to contend with snow.

Keep up the good work everyone, we're coming into the home stretch now! :cheer2:

Confession--I was looking forward to checking the mail box today. Alas--I can still do that, but it is Sunday. :guilty:

Oh--and I am 15 pounds heavier than last year during training--6 or so of that since training got shut off for my knee surgery.

Today I am just saying NO! If it is a sweet--I don't even want to look at it. I call it the LISA Beach Diet. I still eat fruits--in fact, that's how I go through the withdrawall....just nibbling on fruits to satisfy me. I'm on phase 383. The first 382--just too boring, so I skipped them. Actually--this is inspired by my coach who got it from some book that I have no idea who wrote it, nor the title--so good luck with that googling. Anywho--anytime you are hungry during the day--eat a fruit or a veg as a snack--as much as you need...and eventually you will lose weight.

Now--what's the worse confession--stalking the mailbox on SUNDAY or that little weight thing? :teeth:

chimera said:
Rest for me today!

I really enjoyed everyone's photos of their training course. I was thinking yesterday that I wished mine was scenic enough to post, but I just run through various subdivisions. I've been going back through the old posts to create a training journal and just got up to March, the weekend I did my very first race ever (a 1 mile fun run). We were out there today so I thought I could post photos of that place.

Siesta Key Beach
77486Image023.jpg

Here's me:
77486Image013.jpg

Hard to see, but those closest figures are DD12 and DD2.
77486Image014.jpg

Very NICE pics!

I wish our shoreline was that big.

Dont worry Lisa, I had the same fleeting thought today. When we pulled into the subdivision my first thought was "ooh, the mail has run by now, must check it immediately!" After a second realized it was Sunday & have to wait until tomorrow to stalk the mailman.

Hi everybody! :wave:

I started the week off great! I walked 11 miles today in 2:28 (my personal best). Before, my longest run/walk was 10 miles. I didn't plan on 11, but that's what it turned out to be. I'm a little sore tonight. Waiting to see how I feel tomorrow morning. :rolleyes:

It's gonna be a toughie to walk that marathon. But hey - if it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

Terri

TEK224 said:
I started the week off great! I walked 11 miles today in 2:28 (my personal best).
Terri

Terri,

That is awesome! Congratulations on your great walk. Keep at it, you are doing wonderfully!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter