Wk of Nov 20--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

I thought I'd pass this along:

LizDotcom99's Dad is not well. I'm sure she could use some good thoughts. She was called to Florida to be with her dad. He's been diagnosed with small cell lung cancer and is hospitalized. It doesn't look good. If you could spare some prayers for her Dad and all connected I know she would appreciate it.
He was recently visiting her while escaping the wrath of Katrina. She had a great visit with him. After he arrived home this was discovered.

I am so sorry to hear about Liz's dad. Sending lots of PD :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: and prayers for her family. :grouphug:

Be safe everyone who is traveling this week. :moped:

Well, the great shoe hunt continues. We looked everywhere in the house on Friday. I think I might have left my Asics at the gym. When I called on Saturday, the woman who answered the phone said there were no purple Asics in the lost and found. I am going to go see for myself tomorrow. I sure hope I find them. You can bet if I don't I will be checking out the feet of every woman at that gym for the next month! ;)

I worked all weekend and did not get to exercise. Hopefully I will be able to get back on track this week.

I went by the gym this morning, and I had them check my records. I have not been to the gym since 10/31. Eek! That long? :rolleyes: The bright side of the story is that I wore my Asics after that date so I did not lose them at the gym. I will have to tear up the house one more time looking for them. If we still can't find them then DH probably sold them by mistake at the garage sale for $1. :earseek: Can you tell I am a little obsessed about these shoes? I don't want to have to spend $90 to get another pair. (By the way, I only wore the last pair twice so that was like $45 per workout). Okay, I promise to let this go soon . . . well, maybe eventually. :blush:

Have a great Monday everyone!

Good morning everyone!! :sunny: I'm SO glad that it's a short week, although it seems that short weeks feel twice as long. :rolleyes: I did 7 miles on Saturday--that was the furtherest I've ever gone, the run was good, but I was definitely tired!! I finished in 1:27:32, I don't know what my split times were, my Garmin pace lap function was acting up again, I'm wondering if I pushed a button when I was looking over my past runs last weekend. The only bad part of my run was that it was incredibly windy, I had on a knit toboggan (Helly Hansen--my Disney fix ;) ) and the wind was actually pulling the hat off my head!!

Mel--Those are awsome pictures!!! I love Siesta Key, other than WDW, that's my favorite part of Florida. I'm not even going to comment on the Steelers game, but I will say that Tommy Maddox needs to be cut. Today.

Sunny--How awesome that you had a break through!! Were you supposed to run 20 miles, or did you just do it for fun?? Oh, don't worry about me, I won't carry the pocket knife when I run, I just thought it was incredibly sweet for a co-worker who I know, but I'm not close to is that worried about me.

MelR--I've live in Ohio all my life, I'm pretty used to the cold weather, and I still will never (I know, never say never) take an ice bath!! :cold:

Terri--A personal best? :cheer2: :cheer2:

I better get off here, someone is going to notice that I've had the same piece of paper in front of me for half an hour. :) Happy training!!

Krista princess:

Happy Thanksgiving week to all!! I had a great LR of 10 miles on Saturday and then I kind of bagged my scheduled 20 mile run yesterday due to feeling badly. I still ran 13, so I'm not counting it as a total failure. :sunny:

Mel-Loved the pics. They have me missing the warm FL weather.

Heather-I truly hope you find those sneakers. I can only imagine how totally frustrating that would be.

Terri-Yeah on the PR!!

I've already read DH's race packet at least 3 times. I am truly hopeless. :rotfl:

Tiger Lily, please tell Liz that Iam praying for her dad and the entire family. God bless them.

Has anyone received their marathon package yet? I think we're suppose to get some sort of package in the mail....or am I mistaken? :confused3

Good morning everyone!

First :grouphug: :wizard: for Liz's Dad.

Terri-- wonderful job on the PR!!! That's fantastic!

I finally managed to get a run in yesterday. Just like riding a bike. I did 48 min (5/1). I have no idea about my pace or distance, since I left my Garmin and running shoes in my roomates' car (we carpool to work a lot)- and he wasn't here. :guilty: So, being a resourceful young lad, I put on my brand new running shoes and put my battery-powered alarm clock in my pocket and off I went. I have a 40 min (4/1) today... which should be a nice break.

Question: How long does it take to "break in" shoes enough to comfortable run the marathon in them??

Still no packet here. Hopefully today, since some of you have already gotten them. Otherwise, :badpc: to my mailbox.

Oh, and on the weather front here in Michigan, Snow showers in the forecast for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. :guilty: :guilty: :earseek: :faint: And because of work, I don't even get to go home to DC for Thanksgiving to avoid it. (Stupid winning sports teams. :) )

Just 47 days for you half-ers and 48 days for us full-ers. Wow, that's hard to believe.

Happy training!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Liz - Lots of prayers for your dad!!

Congrats to all on your LR/LWs!

Great to hear about the weekend races!

COngrats on your good run LLP!
Lily - SOrry about hte back acting up again. Be very careful!

Mel - Cool pics!

So many I want to catch up with, but it's gonna' be a heck of a week and I need to get some stuff done. I hope reading through my marathon mail is one of them, but no luck yet.

I did my 16 on Sat. Pace getting better, but tanked near the end. May be at least partially due to very bad Friday night with little sleep. Nice day, though, and nice path to run on. If anyone's ever in Lansing, MI, the RIver Trail there is awesome!

Havea great week everyone!

Liz-- :grouphug: Sorry about your dad!

ETA: OMG---I respectfully apologize to Liz--I feel horrible--that was a misplaced smiley and in my haste to get out the door I didn't notice it. I am so regretfully sorry. I was in no way laughing at your situation.

Update on the plumber--well a sort of update.

Asked the plumber today and he says the guy that fell on Friday is doing much better and is not paralyzed. :goodvibes

And they aren't charging me for the repair (even though it is out of the 30 day warranty) but they did graciously offer to install a new main line at a later date for $463. :earseek: Considering it is a bunch of puzzle pieces anyway, it makes sense. But the good news for today is no check to right. :banana:

Training update: I am on the elliptical and starting to hit sub-12:00. :banana: Tried the running on the treadmill thing today--and I was a whole mile per hour faster than last week's attempt. :banana:

Busy packed day--b/c what kind of day would otherwise be expected as you are preparing to leave town.

Did the gym, PT, and doctor's appt this morning (E Pluribus Unum--I bless you as free to do all activities --insert sign of the cross here--I kid you not, Doc did this :rotfl2: )....came home--plumber is here...leaving in 15 minutes for the chiropractor on our way to go to a show at the King Center--something with Banana in the title....so.... :banana: ...then it is Tumbling at 1 and 3, Play Rehearsal at 5, and hitting the road at 6.

I really think my schedule today in and of itself is a cardio workout.

Happy Turkey Day to all!

Ooh--I just considered that stopping at the post office to hold the mail would be a wise move. Guess that will have to be in between classes. EEK!

:wave:

Oh Liz, sorry to hear about your dad. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

An amazing thing happened to me this weekend. OK, it may not be much to you guys already doing marathons and such, but for a former non-athlete, it was pretty cool. :teeth:

Every morning I get up at 4:30 and every other day I do an hours worth of PT for my knee, and the other days I get on the treadmill.

I woke up Sunday morning and thought it was a TM day, but it was a PT day.

I could not believe this but - I was disappointed! :earseek:

I was so shocked - and pleased - at my reaction.

Guess I do really like this training thing after all! :goodvibes

I increased my speed over the past few days from 2.5 to 3. Not much, I know, but since a couple of months ago I could barely walk, hey I'll take it! I can only go up from here! :banana:

Just wanted to say that we did get 1 race packet today, DH's but not mine, lol! If anyone wants any specific info, let me know. Even though we aren't doing the 1/2 anymore it is still fun to see it come, guess I could still hold out a little hope! :)

Liz - So sorry to hear about your Dad. :wizard: :grouphug:

Lisa- Glad to see you're workouts are on again. :)

I have to admit I am jealous of all you guys who have gotten packets already.
I WANT MY PACKET!! (ok, temper tantrum over) :guilty:

Terri

I just edited my post #29.

I am profusely sorry to Liz--that smiley was misplaced. I was in a hurry and didn't check. usually I check my smiley's b/c sometimes when I post them they post at the beginning of the message. I am soooo sorry. I would never ever ever post such a thing. I am mortified that my post came out that way.

Prayers and blessings to your dad. :(

ETA: for those who may be confused---I posted a message to Liz and it was followed by a :rotfl: which was meant for elsewhere in my post.

Liz - I'm so sorry about your dad. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lisa - Glad you hear that your repairman is ok!

Heather - I hope you find your shoes. I would be obsessed too!!! I don't know what size or style that your wear, but sierratradingpost.com has asics cumulus gel for around $45. They didn't have my size :guilty:

No packet for me today. I have been pretty emotionally patient, until now!!!! I think the trips back and forth to the mailbox should count as cross training! No run for me today. It was in the upper 40's, so I bundled the boy up and took him kayaking. I let him throw in his Jack Sparrow hat, but he didn't wear it because it would be humiliating for a pirates' hat to be blown off by the wind. We did sing some pirate songs. The lake is really low and since it is a man-made lake, there are structures that are generally underwater, but now exposed. There was an old political retreat, complete with hotels and an ampitheater at one time. A bunch of the ampitheater is now exposed, so we paddled out to explore it! He had a great time walking around on the remains of the structure, seeing fish jump, calling the birds, and leaning to make the kayak go all over, but when we got home he informed me "i don't like kayaking" He wants a motor! pirate:

PD and prayers for Liz and her dad. :wizard:

The aliens got another one!!! TammyNC says "Well I'm doing my second half and the two together add up to a marathon so maybe I'll just do the marathon in 2007." Paraphrased, but that was the point. Got for it, Tammy, you can do it and you'll get a different piece of hardware.

Good job everyone on their LRs this weekend and to the folks rehabbing for making progress.

Still no packet.

Much better run today, did 5.15 miles in 49:42 and that was an easy to moderate pace.
Confession time- I was having kind of niggling right hip pain that had been getting worse after each run. It's something I've dealt with off and on since 2002 with varying times of pain and pain free. Since even the 'short'(with the exception of the TM debacle last Weds, even 'short' runs are at least 4.5 miles) runs started to bug me, I made an appointment with a NMM(neuromuscular medicine) resident connected to my school. I decided to bite the bullet last Tues and got in last Weds morning. She did an evaluation, some soft tissue, some manipulation, checked out my gait and my feet.

My very FLAT feet, so she gave me some supports to put in my shoes as a prelude to work me into eventually getting the orthotics I need that she knew I would balk at. I told her that I would probably get blisters. First run, the TM, hot spot but no blister. Second run, 4.6 miles outside, blister on left arch. Third run, 16 miles, surprise the blister grew. I could definitely feel it at times today too. What I'm not feeling so much though is the hip. Definitely getting better even though the mileage certainly did not go down.

Most of the rest of my legs hurt though, but not injury hurt, more muscle soreness from being used differently, hurt. So the inserts definitely did their job and changed my gait. That might have contributed to my relative stonker of a LR on Sat(got no sympathy from Mom for the pace) although the rolling hills for almost half of it may not have helped either. I really hope that the weather cooperates so that I can do the 10 mile Turkey Trot race on Thurs to get an better idea of where I'm at race pace wise. What's wrong with me? I'm hoping to run 10 miles Thanksgiving Day?!?!

Hi, all. Didn't see this posted anywhere (if it is, my goof) but I came across this on another board. It's an article about the Disney races, but most importantly is a pic of Goofy holding all 3 medals!!! If anyone wants to see the Goofy medal, go here:

Medal Pic

Looks pretty cool. Kind of disappointed it's just his hat -- wish it could be his sillhouette like the others, but whatever, I can't wait to hold them all!!!

Did 8 and 16 this weekend. Took it easy on the 8 with a bout a 13 min/mile and did the 16 at just over 11 min/miles. Woo hoo. Resting today and it feels darn good.

Best to all!!!

Liz -- I am so sorry about your Dad. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Howard said our packets came today, but being the sweetie he is, he didn't open his and we will open them together tonight.

Insane with preparing for a trial next week, and more importantly, getting ready for Hilton Head.

Enjoy your Turkey Day, everyone, and stay healthy!

I got my package! I feel like I got the Golden Ticket.
I really want the Mickey medal though. Maybe i could do the Full marathon next year?

Liz - My thoughts & prayers are with you & your family.

Good 7 mile LR on Sat., went real easy w/ around 10:30 miles, then -splits, the last mile being 9:09. I'm kinda wishing, too, that I signed up for the full marathon. But I guess I should start with a half, huh? Earn the right to do the full next year.

Stonker 50 min. run today, in fact, I walked most of it. It's funky weather here in CT, gray & 45 & I was totally spaced out today. Oh well.

Uh, did I mention I got my packet?? :banana: :banana: Don't wanna rub it in though, for those who haven't. One thing I don't understand, it says that spectators can only take the monorail to Magic Kingdom...so if we're staying @ BCV, does that mean you take the bus to EPCOT, then the monorail over to MK? I'm a little slow today...

It sounds like all of you had a great weekend w/ your LRs

Lisa - keep goin'

Send more pictures of everyone's training grounds. I love seeing the beaches & beatiful paths you guys run on.

Jodi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter