Wk of June 28 - WISH Team Walkers and Runners

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

TigerLily03 said:
New WISH Team members. If you read one thing over and over, believe this. Being part of this team is fantastic. Part of the ride you get for the event is what I call the roller coaster. There will be lots of ups and downs. The more you post here, the more you will find yourself enjoying the ride. It is an incredible journey. Don't be afraid, shy or whatever to come here and just post up anything.You don't have to know us right away, or all of us at all. You will get to know some of us. It makes the event you are enjoying have MORE meaning and we love to have you.

I'm with you, Jennifer. Not as much mileage as I'd like right now, but it's too darn hot!

I have nothing fancy to report this week. Trying to come up with a Goofy training plan that works for the fall races I wanted to do. I'm torn between MFM and Higdon's Novice plans. I've done a combo "Bingdon" plan in the past. I prefer running mileage during the week a la Higdon, but I think I like the LR progression better with Bingham. Who knows...with Goofy, it's probably going to hurt either way!

Stay cool everyone!

Welcome to a new week WISHers....

Summertime...hot...melty...sweaty...puddles....drippy...pinky pistols....elbow bombs...tired...worn out.....

Any of this ring a bell to anyone, maybe those that are constantly training, sometimes it just feels like a lot to get out there and get your miles done.

I found a quote today that was posted by Ed Reed. He is a Defensive Back for Pro Football and played at the University of Miami.

"Once you get older, Quit starts to workout with you. Quit is never invited to the workout but is always there on your shoulder saying, 'You don't have to do this. You don't have to push yourself.' " :thumbsup2

I saw that and had to agree. Let's not let "quit" get into our vocabulary this summer. Keep at it and all of our trianing schedules will get going soon enough for our big race/races at WDW in January!!!

5 slow miles for me, but got it done. I did a 5K event yesterday so I didn't want to push it too much. I have another 5K on July4th.

Everyone have a great Sunday......"Let's go Racin'" all you NASCAR Fans!!

Racey Tracy

I found a quote today that was posted by Ed Reed. He is a Defensive Back for Pro Football and played at the University of Miami.
"Once you get older, Quit starts to workout with you. Quit is never invited to the workout but is always there on your shoulder saying, 'You don't have to do this. You don't have to push yourself.' " :thumbsup2
Racey Tracy

I can relate to this personally today. My long run was 13+ miles. At mile 12.5 I hit a long progressive hill for .5 miles. I found myself really digging deep to get through it. I was actually talking out loud saying, almost there, you can do it almost there. BUT, in my head I kept thinking, I can just stop and walk the hill then finish out the rest of the run. I kept at it and didnt walk finishing my run in 2:03. It was my first 1/2 marathon distance so I was very pleased with myself. Boy, did my legs hurt after though. Thanks for the quote. I will be thinking about that next week for my LR.

The mixer starts here on the 'Ohana thread.

:stitch:'Ohana Monday Mixer:stitch:

Ah, it's summer. The 4th of July is right around the corner. Summer always strikes me as the time for family vacations and road trips. And I'm sure many of us who are traveling are either participating in races--and :worship: to those of you doing events in the summer heat--or we're continuing to train. So...these random thoughts made me think about the challenges of traveling for WISHers, whether traveling to an event or for other reasons.

This week's mixer asks you to share your best tips and strategies for traveling. We're interested in all things related to staying active on the road, from packing your gear to what kind of exercise you prioritize while squeezed for time and in unfamiliar territory.

A sampling of possible questions: What are the must-brings? How much to pack? How to pack your gear--tips and mistakes to avoid? How to best deal with bulky shoes and stinky clothes? What kind of XT do you do while away from home--do you have anything you bring with you?? What about your guidelines for running/walking in areas with which you're unfamiliar?

I'll probably ask a race-specific traveling question closer to January, but tips on race packing are always appreciated. And those of you who are on the road frequently, for business or pleasure, your expertise is much appreciated. :thumbsup2

On behalf of my son Kevin, I would like to thank all my American friends for celebrating his birthday on Friday.....:laughing: My DS was born July 4th and he always says you know millions of Amercians are also celebrating my birthday today....:dance3::dance3:

Canada Day is July 1st and falls on a Wed this year which sucks, cause we have to work Mon, Tues....have Wed off.....work Thurs, Friday.

Good point Tracy, lets not ever use that word!!!!!

Been crazy hot here lately as well, but I think the humidy has finally left so finally get a good night sleep again.

Off to work.....gotta pay for the disney addiction somehow:flower3:

Have a great day all

Mel, Glad I'm not the only one in a summer slump.

I have a 14.2 mile race on Labor Day, so I'm using that to at least keep me trucking along. I was bordering on over trained for my last half and I'm definitely not going to be that for this one.

I got in 5k yesterday in right around 23 minutes and did 20 minutes of cross training today. My schedule will even out a little more in about 2 weeks.

Best,
Jennifer

On behalf of my son Kevin, I would like to thank all my American friends for celebrating his birthday on Friday.....:laughing: My DS was born July 4th and he always says you know millions of Amercians are also celebrating my birthday today....:dance3::dance3:

I say the same thing about my birthday, January 1. I love that they throw a party for me in Times Square.

My summer running is not nearly as bad as you guys are describing but I am also not in FL or MS. Here in Ohio even our hot days are still cool evenings. I'd feel bad for you but then remember you get to do runs in the 50's when we are bundling up in Dec-April so it evens out.

Rest day for me. I agrevated an old arm injury while sleeping (I'll wait for the laughing to stop) so I also am taking a couple of days off from the gym. Back on the road tomorrow and the 4th should be nice so I will be biking to all my holiday festivities. Which, while fun, will continue to remind me of how much I want a better bike.

Frank: Sorry i am giggling a bit about your "sleeping" injury. It is kinda funny.:lmao: Yes, take a break for a bit - the gym will always be there.

Tracy

I am using the summer months as a a time to, hopefully, improve my overall base while experimenting with ways to increase my training. A few things I'm trying include back-to-back runs (middle/long distance) on consecutive days, and multiple, moderately intense workouts on the same day.

I plan to, on weeks when I'm not otherwise doing a long distance race, keep my long runs in the 14-18 mile range, varying perhaps a bit based on what route I run, scheduling, weather, how I'm feeling overall, etc.

I know I will be doing several races this fall, including multiple halves and at least one full, though I'm not entirely settled on exactly which ones. Though it's probably not a perfect strategy for optimal PR performance on any specific race, I don't want to find myself bound by any particular training plan. That logic may change if I decide to specifically target a particular race, but for now, my hope is to keep in decent shape to sign up for a half whenever the mood strikes me, or a full on somewhat short (few weeks) notice. Again, I know it's not optimal, but it gives me some freedom to just enjoy participating in events as I feel the desire :)

While I usually am taking at least one full rest day per week, almost any other day, I'm at the very least cross-training: cross-ramp elliptical usually, which I find has really helped my ability to deal with difficult hills. Occasionally, for a change of pace, I hop on the stationary bike.

We shall see where all of this leads by fall...

Who's shoulder injury is funnier? Franks in his sleep, or Marcia's throwing a whiffle ball? :lmao:

Hi all!
Tracy, great quote there. I definitely take that Quit with me each and every step always wrestling with it.

Debra, sorry I missed the mixer. The topics are always fun. I'm going to check the responses soon.

Seattle was oh such fun! I loved the weekend we spent. There was a WISH Team presence!

I got out to move a bit today and will be getting my calendar where I can be motivated as the official training date draws near.

Frank, sorry about those bad dreams and the arm re-injury. Ow.

Frank...I didn't know sleep was cross-training. You're hardcore, dude!

Lily...welcome back! Looks like Seattle was great!

It was supposed to rain this evening but luckily it held off and turned into a great night for a run. I waited for the sun to go down and went out for 10.

Everyone ready for the weekend? I have to work Friday and will be walking in a parade on the 4th trying to raise some more Relay for Life money so no races for me. I am hoping to do some cycling though which is fitting since the Tour starts Saturday. I can't wait to see Lance back on the tour.

Frank: Great job for getting in the 10 miles at night. I still think you sleep injury is funnier than Marcia's!!!

yep, can't wait to see how Lance does in the Tour.

I am off from work on Friday, Sat I have a 5k and then chilling with my friends for the day!!

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Tracy

Must run tonight. Must run tonight. Must run tonight... Must leave Quit at home!

Off work tomorrow. Have to mow the lawn, do some other yard work, bake a pie for Saturday's cookout with the family (which is a combined graduation party for DD and her cousin.) Saturday DH and I are running 10 miles with the group before we drive to Winston-Salem for the cookout.

Already set the DVR for the Tour, since MIL doesn't have cable. :eek: Will be watching every hour! I shouldn't tell this story about DH, but back when they were still doing the Tour duPont bike race on the east coast, it finished in Raleigh one year. Lance was still an up and coming rider, but he won the race. DH took GREAT pictures of him on the podium, if only he'd taken the lens cap off the camera. :rotfl2: Thank goodness for digital cameras. Both Lance and DH have come a long way since then...

Jackie

Back to add... ran 3.28 tonight. Quit did NOT come along. :banana: He tried to muscle his way in during the 3rd mile, since I went out way too fast and way too hard, but I sent him packing. Splits were 11:27, 11:02, 12:05.

Jackie

Way to get out there Jackie. Sometimes you just gotta make the doughnuts. Went up to the gym today to figure out what I can and can't do until the arm feels better. Pretty much the only thing that is out right now is the flat bench.

If the weather cooperates tomorrow I will be breaking in the new running shoes before the July 3rd party I am heading to.

8 1/4 miles in 1:12, plus the 1,000 meter swim.

At the start of my run, it began with me intervening in a domestic dispute on the corner. Some idiot choking his girlfriend right on the corner. I yelled at him to stop, then he came at me swearing up a storm. In the meantime the girl ran the other direction. No cops around when you need them. Good deed for the day.

Well, the adrenaline had me pumping the first 4 miles. :rotfl2:

Happy 4th of July everyone. Oh, and the circuit court judge issued an injunction against the governor's plan to furlough state workers. Rats, I was looking forward to having Friday's off. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter