• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk of June 24--WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

TigerLily03 said:
New WISH Team members. If you read one thing over and over, believe this. Being part of this team is fantastic. Part of the ride you get for the event is what I call the roller coaster. There will be lots of ups and downs. The more you post here, the more you will find yourself enjoying the ride. It is an incredible journey. Don't be afraid, shy or whatever to come here and just post up anything. You don't have to know us right away, or all of us at all. You will get to know some of us. It makes the event you are enjoying have MORE meaning and we love to have you.

WISH Racing Team

Abra Cat Kristi NC
akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
andromedaslove Dana FL
angietuck2 Angie FL
bekagain Bekah
bekkiz WA
BiggerTigger Jeff FL
Big Vic Vic FL
blueroses WA
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
CaroleD Carole ON
cdn gal eeyore Leana Alberta
Chernabog#1Fan FL
ChiFiveO Donna IL
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cindylou Cindy
Cingoutload Dawn GA
CrazySecretRecipe Jennifer FL
Cruella de Mom Cecilia GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
DaddyBeast Kevin TX
deekaypee ND
Dennyha Denny OH
DianeL Diane
disneybelle Darcey NJ
DisneyGirl Marissa
disneyrun
disnutt Kiena OH
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
DreamBeliever IL
dthogue Tammy PA
Duanerice Duane FL
eeyore45 Sandy IL
escape Susie AR
fabumouse NJ
FirstTimertoDiz Lisa PA
FungLu Brett OR
gatorphipps Christa NC
getnthinr Wendy NC
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
Goofyin08forErica Erica KY
gsu1988 Ken GA
Hey Mickey Erica NY
HMHunters
Hockeychic Kim CAN
hockeygirl Laurie NY
Hockeymom311 Jen
Honeibee Judy NY
hoosmi Jen GA
jam217 PA
JCTigger Jill MA
jeanneg Jeanne NC
Jen117 Jen WI
Jennasis NC
jimmduck
jodistar Jodi CT
kaf7878 Kelly FL
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
keenercam Cam DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KelNottAt Kelley MD
Kimickey Kim MD
Kim10110 Kim
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lenshanem Shan
Lexxiefern Becky MA
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Little Miss Mickey Ashley
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
lustergirl NY
macrosswife Kimber AL
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne FL
marathonmommy Laura NJ
MarkMichaels Mark IA
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
Meghan74 Meghan
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minigirl Eva
Minnie Suzy
mogulskr Scott NJ
momoftwogirls
monte Monica CO
mousemgr Susan MI
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MrsTrx Tracey FL
msblrobs Sara NY
nepatsfan73 Bill CT
nucpharm29 Stephanie AR
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom Molli OH
Optimator Mike
outonarun Teri CA
padisneyfan Nancy PA
panthergirl Susan NC
patsfaninpa Jen PA
Paull117 Paul WI
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plgrn Patti and Jenn
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
pollioni Robb ON
princessmomma Colleen NC
Pungodingy Angie NH
RedDragon Martha MA
rKyDeX Chester FL
rosy1020 Kristin Japan
RunningLilo Dena FL
runwdw2008 Dona
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
scoolover Scott CT
scuba diver Jim FL
SilverE Steve ME
SirBouncealot Andrew IA
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Space Ranger John
stitch lover sith Erin
sugaswim Holly MD
TammyNC Tammy NC
taz4disney CJ IN
TEK224 Terri PA
Texa
thndrmatt Matt FL
tiberius Richard
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
Tinks Vicki IL
TNTsParty Tricia FL
TriMom Mary Kathryn TN
twotoohappy Liz MA
TXAng TX
TXBelle Heather TX
Valentine Kathy NY
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
westcliffemom Stacey CO
wfloyd Bill FL
windwalker Dave KY
WIsh I Lived in FL Felicia
Worfiedoodles Maria MA
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME
zoegirl Bree NC

76 degrees, 76% humidity this morning but not a bad run. 4 miles in 47:52 AND I did my stretches before and after the run, just like I'm supposed to. AND, I cross trained on Fri, 12 min warmup on the bike, then weights with focus on core training. Now if I can just get a couple more days of core work in, I'm golden!

Sunny...great to hear from you, though I'm sorry the circumstances aren't better. I hope you get some relief soon.

Dave and Erica...congrats on the new additions! We have a 10yo orange tabby with the totally original name of Tigger.

Linda...great race! Looks like you're in Nova Scotia...any pictures to share?

PatsfanBill...congrats on the weight loss and continued training. Make sure you're smarter than me and stretching before and after your runs to help protect your hips.

Dana...great pace on your run!

Jackie...congrats on your 10 miler!

SWDave...nice job on your niner! I seem to go through shoes quickly too...have yet to figure out why.

Christa...:wizard: for your family tummy bug.

Karen...impressive workouts and power posting!

Jen...hope you have fun camping!

Howard...happy belated birthday!

Cam...congrats on your 5K! Hope you're having fun at the concert!

Bill...DD14 is over in your neck of the woods for the summer. Could you send us some of the rain she keeps complaining about?

This is my dumb question of the month...when y'all go out for a LR, do you try to run/walk at a particular pace? I always have a goal in mind (today I wanted to finish under 48 min for 4 miles), but, other than the mile alarms on the Garmin, I don't really try to keep up a particular pace and don't really know what pace I'm maintaining. I was watching pace when I did those few tempo runs, but it's hard with R/W intervals to know what my running pace should be to maintain the average pace I'm hoping for. I've spent so much time focusing on just getting the miles in, but should I be more concerned about the pace?

Sunny - tons more :hug: & :wizard: coming your way!

Cam - I didn't see your request for concert information until now, sorry! I hope you two are having a blast! I know the Goos do not mind cameras & allow them. I think it depends on the performer though. Of course, you can always stick the camera in the waistband of your jeans... :rolleyes1

I have been WAY off the wagon. I need to get back on.
And darn it, if Sunny can run with all her spine & other issues, I sure as heck have no excuse! In fact, Sunny should drive up here and kick my butt for being such a slug when I have no reason to be slacking.
this is Sunny kicking me into gear ---> :cool1:

I have SIL's baby shower tomorrow. I WILL get in a walk/run or XT DVD before going over to set up for the shower. I SWEAR. Chad is not working tomorrow & I truly have no excuse. And I will be seeing my Goos twice next month and it would be nice to lose a few of the pounds I have gained.

He let one person in the lab know he was a Chip and Dale dancer. That took about 8 minutes for the entire lab to be online looking at his pictures.

I can't help but picture our two favorite goofy-toothed chipmunks wearing little white collars, black bow ties, and tear away pants!!

Kind of puts Donald's irrational rage toward them in a whole new light.

Now I will always think of Sunny when I see them. Best of luck Sunny.

Linda, glad you had a good 5K! :woohoo:

Mel, I would like to know the answer to your question, too!

Also would like to know what everyone considers a LR? And about how far do you go for your shorter runs?
At what point do you normally stop to drink more fluids? :confused3

I think my foot feels better, but I still think I'm gonna wait until Monday to try it out. It will be hard this week to get my morning runs in cause it is Vacation Bible School all week.

Good morning WISH Team,

Here is your "YARC" Prayer for the day:

http://www.superhonda.com/photopost...ctures_photos_comics_cartoons_and_jokes_1.jpg

Mel your long run/walk should be at least 1.5 times your normal distance and at a slower pace. You want to find a pace that you would be able to go at all day. Like your marathon pace. If your dying at the end it was to fast.

What you are doing with the LSD is working muscle fibers that don't normally get worked. A muscle is a big bunch of fibers, as some get tired then more fibers come into play. So you want to go long enouth each time and you have to go progressively longer so you keep working more fibers.

Even an out of shape person has some fibers in good shape but as soon as they are exhausted there are no back up fibers in good shape to take over for those first few. I hope I explained this where it makes sense.

Today is just gentle walking for me while I await my Prety Princess to get off work so I can take her to breakfast.

Have a great day y'all.

Dave:hippie:

Morning all. I am so glad I got my LR in yesterday. I'm sitting here recovery from a little over indulgence last night at a cookout at our house--too much food, too much sangria. :rolleyes1

Mel--Like DaveWW posted I've read that your LR are supposed to be 30-90 sec slower than your expected race pace. That being said, I have a really hard time slowing it down. I really need to work on that

Shan--My LR is whatever is on my training plan for my weekend run. Right now I'm early on in the training so the mileage isn't a lot, but it will build soon enough. Weekday runs usually are around 3-5 miles--this new plan I"m following has me doing up to 10 miles mid-week, but we'll see if that actually happens

Linda--great job!

Billpatsfan--great job on the weight loss-good to hear from you

DaveWW--love the kitty names! Have fun at breakfast today. Good luck with the taper this week.

Well, I should go scrounge something up here to eat for breakfast--think there are some brownies left from last night;) Have a great Sunday all!

I'm asking for prayers and pixie dust this morning....my knee is really messed up and I think it's due to the orthodics. I was in such pain Friday night that DH almost drove me to the emergency room. I have an appointment w/the chiropractor on Tuesday, so pray he can correct this situation. :sad1: The Leadville half is on July 7th.:confused3
Has anyone else experienced problems with orthodics?

I'm asking for prayers and pixie dust this morning....my knee is really messed up and I think it's due to the orthodics. I was in such pain Friday night that DH almost drove me to the emergency room. I have an appointment w/the chiropractor on Tuesday, so pray he can correct this situation. :sad1: The Leadville half is on July 7th.:confused3

Monte I'm not a big fan of orthodics. I might get a lot of flack for saying this but I think foot doctors prescibe orthotics to much to people who would do better with the proper shoe. An athlete and you are an athlete lady, should go to a foot doctor only if he is an athlete also.

My opinion for anyone is to go to a good running/walking store where the staff knows what shoe types to recommend. Then have them get every brand and model in that catagory for you to try on. Try each one on and walk around and use the treadmill with each if they have one. Then find the one that feels the best. Spend a couple of hours doing this.

A good store will not mind at all because when you find that magic shoe you will be a good customer for a long time. The staff can be working with others while you search through the shoes.

Out of the hundreds and hundreds of shoes on the market, only a very few will work for you. But there is nothing else you can buy that is even remotely as important.

Contact your local running club or the nearest club, The USATF keeps a list of clubs or just do a search. Then email them and ask where the best store in your area is and who there you need to talk to. Then call the store and make an appointment.

Ok off my soap box now.

Sunny, Thanks for checking in. I am sorry it is still difficult. :hug: We are always thinking of you WISHing you the best.
This is my dumb question of the month...when y'all go out for a LR, do you try to run/walk at a particular pace? I always have a goal in mind (today I wanted to finish under 48 min for 4 miles), but, other than the mile alarms on the Garmin, I don't really try to keep up a particular pace and don't really know what pace I'm maintaining. I was watching pace when I did those few tempo runs, but it's hard with R/W intervals to know what my running pace should be to maintain the average pace I'm hoping for. I've spent so much time focusing on just getting the miles in, but should I be more concerned about the pace?
I am really a back of the pack trainee. That said, I use my Garmin to try to keep my LR pace in the "qualifying time" range. I strive during the week to make it faster and push up during those training opportunities. LR time is as slow as I can and still get that medal!

I have been WAY off the wagon. I need to get back on. And darn it, if Sunny can run with all her spine & other issues, I sure as heck have no excuse! In fact, Sunny should drive up here and kick my butt for being such a slug when I have no reason to be slacking.
this is Sunny kicking me into gear ---> :cool1:
...and it would be nice to lose a few of the pounds I have gained.
I'm with ya on this. I told DH last night that I've GOT to get it back.

Also would like to know what everyone considers a LR? And about how far do you go for your shorter runs?
At what point do you normally stop to drink more fluids? :confused3
Glad your foot is feeling better. My LR is according to the training schedule I am following. Being a Penguin, I mostly follow Marathoning for Mortals schedule and the LRs are mapped out for me. For the Minnie I followed a different plan (Hal Higdon's 15k) and the LRs were shorter due to the event being shorter. I find Hal Higdon a bit more of a stretch for me to do and my body cries too much with his program though. The shorter runs during my week are mostly timed, I will run for say 35-50 minutes and do some speed work, hill work every other week one of those weekday training. So however far I go I do.

Monica, I am sorry. :hug: My podiatrist advised me to go slow with wearing the orthotics until my body had time to adjust--I just use the OTC version. I was advised to wear for a bit on and off and keep lengthening the wearing time if I needed until I was able to use them continuously.

Today is a new day, and the new week fills me with hope that I can get back into things a LOT better. LTO and all is getting to me. Happy training WISH Team.

Don't forget to check out our calendar. I've updated to now.

Good morning everybody!

WWdave- super cute kitties, thanks for sharing!

Monte- I hope your knee feels better real soon!

Sunny- I've been thinking of you, keep on enduring in your situation. Remember there's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day! (I heard that this morning on my mp3- from the Meet the Robinson's soundtrack- before my battery died. It always perks me up!)

Training to report:
Saturday- 2 miles on TM
Today- 4.4 miles outside, battery died about 1 mile from home!
That brings my weekly total to 20.4, the first 20 mile week I've had in a while! I was trying to cross train which was keeping my miles lower. I'm still adjusting that.

Finally, I wanted to share some hard day pep talks that I had written in my training log:

THIS run/walk will feel hard so another run/walk can feel easy.

I may not be able to run/walk as fast or as long as I had hoped today, but that's okay because it's the process of running/walking that matters, not the destination.

I can learn something from every run/walk, even the difficult ones. What can I learn from this one?

Hopefully you won't have any hard ones this week, but if you do, maybe these will help!

So it sounds like most everyone follows a specific program? Even if you're not training for a race?
I was wondering what I would do after I finish my programs I'm on...

Monte I really hope your knee feels better soon! :goodvibes

I did get out yesterday for a LR and hoped that my calf didn't hurt during the process. I figured out that I am good for about 2.5 miles and that is when I start feeling things. I did wind up with 4 miles at an 11:49 pace though. Afterwards I may have figured out the problem. When rubbing my calf, I found a huge knot that was very painful. So now if I can just get that massaged out, I may be good to go.

Mel - We haven't had that much rain. I think last week was only one afternoon of rain (my running day of course) and one day of threatining stuff but nothing happened. I would like the rain as well since my yard is turning brown again. As for the pacing, I just try to go a little slower and then figure out how I feel during the running and adjust accordingly.

Kristi - We were finally able to see Molly and the group on TV. She did a great job and should be proud of herself.

Sunny - Great to hear from you again. I wish things were going better for you though but at least it sounds like they may be finding causes now other than not knowing anything.

Howard - Happy belated Birthday. I tend to be late with these so I figured I would keep the streak alive. :rolleyes1 Hope it was a good one.

Shan - Glad to hear that your foot is getting better. I hope that everything works out this week for you.

Stephanie - Glad you were able to get the run in. After all that work, you were overdue for a nice cookout. ;)

Monte - Sorry to hear about your pains. Alot of people here were in pain when they first started using them. I think some got better but some quit using them. Hope you feel better in time for your race.

Stacey - Great job on getting in your 20 miles this week.

PatsfanBill - Great job on the weight loss. :yay:

Linda - Great job on the 5k.

Leana - Glad you had a great massage. Also glad you were able to find someone who can give you some pointers on how not to get injured.

WWDave and Erica - Glad you were able to get the kittens. I think they took over your house in record time though.;)

Dana - Great job on your run and having it feel better this week. Those times are great.

Jackie - Glad you had fun on your run and you were able to find a group to be with. There are many flavors of gel, some which I like, some I tolerate, and some that I cannot stomach under any circumstance. Just experiment and find what you like.

MSDave - Great job on the run. It sounds like you have recovered nicely from your hard week of meetings on the beach. ;)

Have a good week everyone.

Bill

For those of you who like a soda or coffee before a run (not mentioning any names, hem hem!). I thought you might find this interesting!!

Caffeine.
There is now strong evidence that a cup of coffee an hour before a race will improve performance. This drug helps mobilize free fatty acids and triglycerides, making them available for energy utilization in the blood stream. It also helps you to wake up and get your sewage system cleaned out, avoiding the last minute lines at the “porto-johns.” Too much caffeine, however, can cause dehydration and may negatively influence your heart rhythm. Be careful and try it out on several trial runs before using it in races.

Hi folks! Well, I got my 9 mile run in this morning. The run felt great, I felt good the whole way. I tried a Clif Shot Block for the first time on this run and I really liked it. I had only tried the Sport Beans so far, but I felt like it was easier to run and chew the Blocks than the beans. Didn't love the flavor (black cherry), but it wasn't "spit it out" bad either. I finished in 1:44:12 for an 11:34/mi pace. The best part was almost at the 8 mile point I had a big hill to climb. 128 feet in 0.2 mi. I ran up strong and fast, then it felt great when I crested the top! I felt so amazing that I ran the entire last mile without a walk break. Here are my splits:
Mile 1: 11:45
Mile 2: 11:31
Mile 3: 11:35
Mile 4: 11:56 (slowed down to open my blocks)
Mile 5: 11:47
Mile 6: 12:03 (what happened here? it was very open, sunny and hot here)
Mile 7: 11:24 (scarfed some more blocks, big downhill here)
Mile 8: 11:29 (here's where I crested that big hill)
Mile 9: 10:44 (no walk breaks!)

I was supposed to have my yoga for runners workshop today, but the instructors never showed. I'm not sure if they canceled the class, or what, but I'm hoping I get my $45 refunded...

Mel

You have hit on the 2 extremes of success and failure in my running career.

First the good part. I can tell you at any time in any run the pace I am carrying within about 10 seconds per mile. This is due to (1) lots of training runs on the track and (2) being obsessive/compulsive when I'm running on the track. I don't use the split capabilities of my watch, so I calculate every split in my head. The philosophy here is if I cannot do the calculations in my head I probably need to step off the track since my brain is beginning to scramble. This does come from my high school days, but I love running on the track because I know precisely how fast I am going, which carries over to runs on paths and roads.

Now the bad part. As I build distance I fall into my "comfort" pace, which is almost always a little too quick for the distance I want today. This goes back to the 1980's in Austin, Texas, where I would tell myself, "my goal today is to run 14, not to run 11 too hard and throw up." I just find a comfortable tempo and run at it, but far too often I end up going too fast but not far enough.

So my advice, although I too rarely follow it, is on longer days to focus on the distance. If you want 6 today be absolutely sure to go easy enough to get the 6. On shorter days I would focus on pace, so you come to know the level of effort necessary to hold any specific pace. Plus the concentration required on these shorter and quicker days will help you on race day, no matter what the distance is.

The books talk about LSD and that means slow down and get the miles when you are building distance. They also talk about pushing the pace in shorter stuff to train your body to go a bit faster and still relax. I try to do both in my training, not always succesfully, but when I do it right I can absolutely see the results.

Take care and stay cool.

Monte - sorry about the orthotics. It seems to be either/or on adjustment period. Some folks have zero problem and can go long immediately, but others are not so fortunate. The sports podiatrists to say to break them in easy, so I would try to follow their advice.

And for Sunny, hang in there. You've done so well making it to so many starts and finishes through your challenges. I know you have a reservoir of power inside you.

Craig

Mel - One more answer... our group leader tells us we should be doing our LRs at 2 minutes slower than our marathon pace. As the 12:00 group, she aims for a 14:00 pace for our runs.

Monte
- My podiatrist gave me very specific break-in instructions for my orthotics, similar to what Lily said. For the first day, it was wear for 1 hr, out for 1 hr, 2nd day was wear 2, out 2, and up from there. I had a problem with that since I only use them in my running shoes, but I did what I could! Now I just concentrate on doing the stretches that the Univ of Rochester research recommends, hoping that they help. The orthotics were working until we went to WDW, and that week of walking absolutely killed me.

Leana - Great run! I looked at the Shot Blocks, but I have an issue with food textures and am scared of them! But I tried a mocha Clif Shot gel yesterday and will definitely buy more of them.

Meghan - Are you lurking out there? What about that race?!!!! Annie is at camp and missed it - can't decide whether to tell her about it or keep it a secret and let her watch it for herself!

Jackie

Good Monday morning team!!!!

Sorry did not post nor did I do my LW yesterday. We decided to do some major gardening first and do our LW last night, well I was beat by the time we where finished, temps up into the 30's and it just knocked me on my butt so no LW to report but I think my gardening counts as XT:woohoo:

Mel: WTG on getting your workouts in. We usually walk at our normal pace but we are only doing 8K's tops right now. Once we increase that distance which is this SUnday we might slow it down a bit.

Kristi How did the baby shower go?

Shan Hope your foot is better for your run today

Dave Love the prayer, hope you and Erica have a great breakfast date.

MOnte Lots of PD :wizard: :wizard: coming your way. I have orthodics but I don't use them, I never got use to using them. I think the foot DR guy only gave them to me cause they are covered under my DH's health plan at work. He gave them to everyone in my family.

BillPD:wizard: :wizard: for your calf. Boy those things really hurt.

Leana Great run, hope you get your money back!!!

No more blisters! My foot FINALLY healed!

I went out Saturday morning, I went 4.84 miles (I was aiming for 5, but got home a little too soon) in 1:18. I think this is my best time so far, and my longest distance so far, so I was really proud of myself. I am running more often, but still finding it hard to keep going, my legs feel like they could keep on, but I get breathing so hard that I cant breathe, and have to go back to walking. I'm trying not to get discouraged, after all, just a few weeks ago I couldnt have run to the end of the driveway, and a few more back, I probably couldnt have walked it without several stops. So, I am getting there, just very very slowly!

I read all your posts, but have a hard time keeping up with who's doing what, so, let me just say, congrats to all doing well, and dont give up to all having issues! Maybe one day I'll get all the names straight and be a bit more personal....

Big thanks to Craig though, for the blister advice, that 2nd Skin is great!

Angie, glad to hear your foot is better.

Erica and I are getting ready to head out for a 6 mile easy walk. This is taper week before the Senior Games so nothing intense this week except or a few sprints to stay sharp.

This picture of a soda for people who want to ease into the diet thing deserves the "YARC" award for the day.

http://www.office-humour.co.uk/content/images/2005/08/3285.jpg

Have a great day y'all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter