• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk of June 24--WISH Walking/Running Club

Good Morning TEAM: :surfweb:

I'm waking up and fueling up for my LR this morning. I did a 30 min SWOG (deep water run) in the pool yesterday. Oooh, the water felt good on the legs.

So I was looking at my training log from last year. At this time last year I was about 30 pounds heavier, and was not running at all because of my severe shin splints. I was doing solely SWOGs in the pool for 30 min. I need to remember this so I don't push myself too hard and get those shin splints again.

As far as marathons for next year - I'm thinking about the Marine Corps Marathon for 2008. I'm hoping we have a WISH contingent there again for 2008 that will run it with me. I'd love to do the London Marathon some time. That sounds like a great one to run. There's just soooo many, but I need to limit myself to 1/year or DW will throw her hands up and say "no more!".

How's everyone doing out there?

Christa- are you up?

Mornin' Dave.

I'm up with you. 8 miles on tap for me today. Glad to see we'll be running 'together'. Did you mean 1 race/year or one per year in addition to WDW?

I would love to do them all, but not sure how much traveling I'll do next year. Applefest is on my list, one of the RnR races, Mt Desert Island, etc, etc....

Good morning team. Sorry I have been MIA most of the week, DS grad is done. Thank you for the nice comments. Training was pretty much none existant this week but back at it today.

4K for today and 9K for tomorrow.

Hope you all have a great weekend and
HAPPY CANADA DAY WEEKEND!!!!!

Kim

Morning all--WISH I could say I was fueling for a LR, but alas, no. Heading to work in a few--but I will be running tomorrow. Good luck to those out there already this am! Well, gotta run!

:yay: Yay!! I get to post a training walk!!:cool1: I actually got out there and did THREE miles!! Read 'em and weep...I did. ;) But at least I got out there and did them. It felt really good to get back into the groove. It's nice that I just may have something other than ToT to be training for...:tiptoe: WWDave, I was thinking of you the whole way!! Hope everyone has a successful day in whatever your endeavors are! :goodvibes Anne

Good Morning Everyone!! I just got out of my past run ice bath!! I ran 7 miles today in 1:02:36 (8:56 mpm). Probably would have been better, but at mile 3 the cows (long horn cattle) were out wandering the trail. So, I turned around at 2.5 and ran back to the start, then ran back to the 1 and back to the start to get 7 total. Then on the way back to the start there were two dogs who came running out of the bushes (a chow and some other pit/boxer mix) and the kind of stared me down. So I stopped and walked backwards to give them some room while I waited for another runner to catch up to me. I figured we were safer in numbers. Made me wish I had some where to carry a gun though, I can definatley understand how that woman felt now!!

Next weeks runs are a
Tues:5 + 25-30 min with Michael
Thurs: 4 + 25-30 min with Michael
Fri: 25-30 min with Michael
Sat: 7 miles

Anne - Welcome back! Congratulations on getting in the 3 miles.

Meghan - I so want to do the Festival 500, but I think next year's the year I promised Annie we'd go to Indy for the race. I don't think I can travel there twice. If only they were the same weekend... maybe I can convince her to wait and make seeing the Indy 500 a graduation present and push it off till '09, then I could run in '08?

Just back from my LR. Heard from our group leader that we are the largest Galloway group in the country, and he thinks we're the largest marathon training group of any kind in the country (over 300 members as of this week!) We did 10 miles, but a lot of our group struggled. The humidity today is unbelievable. I was actually okay, but I held back to wait for one of my running buddies who was having a hard time so I ended up walking much of the last 2 miles. I was kinda hoping to go on and do the extra 2 miles at the end, but they had already gone when I got to that point, and the PF was giving me a hard time, so it's probably just as well that I stopped at 10.

Now we're getting ready to drive to Richmond to use Meghan's tickets for the race! Cross your fingers that Marco does well so DD is happy tonight.

Jackie

Anne, good news! You are back at it! Oh, and maybe even gooder news, are you registered for CDC yet? :)

Happy Canada Day Weekend to everyone too! Any reason to celebrate--I'm there!

Nice day here, I've been working some (house desk work, no XT)

Jackie,
You've probably already left for the race, but if not, have a great time! Marco looked great in practice. It's too bad that qualifying got rained out because I bet he would have started near the front. As it is, he is going to have his work cut out for him. Have Annie send me a full report!

I think two trips to Indy are very reasonable. :lmao:

P.S. I just decided today that I must go to the race in Nashville (6 hours away from me) and I can't wait. I've never been to a night race before.

I did my 7 miles this morning and it was a little rough considering I didn't train much this week. Finished in 1:33:07. I'm pretty happy with that. Cam, I don't think I will meet that 13:00 mile pace goal for Chicago, but 13:30 seems within reach. My mantra continues to be "as long as I finish, as long as I finish..."

Hey all... I just got back a little bit ago from a 6 mile run. It went well. I am still doing the slow and steady, but I am testing myself with longer running segments. If I don't pay attention to the Garmin, I enjoy it a bit more. I don't care if I don't meet those time goals anymore. As long as I finish.

Today I felt like I hit the jackpot. We went to some garage sales and I foung a bunch of clothes, NEW, for my DD's. And I paid very little for them. I told them that if I can save money on clothes, it's more money we can use for Disney. They liked that. And the clothes were Gap, Gymboree, etc. Definitely a cool find!

Anne - Oh... you have to do CDC if you DH lets you. Remember, the race is early morning too, so the temps won't be as high!

Meghan - I will be in the 12-13's at CDC, so if you want to hang, let me know.

Dave - That is AWESOME that you looked back to where you were a year ago. I have a picture of me in my office when I was running the 4th of July 5K... HUGE difference is my pace and weight. Doesn't it make it all worth it!

Dana - I had 2 dogs jump out at me once when I was walking in college. It is quite a freaky thing. I am glad you had someone coming up behind you! Oh and I told my DD6 that you are running with your son and that interested her a little. I like your updates because it gives me something to my DD about.

OK, shower time and then I get to veg out.

My results, well not as good as my first 5k last year but then again I did have 2 months of training last year and I only have been back run/walking for 3 weeks!!! Here is my results

15 403 TRICIA 34 00:36:43 11:49

So in my age group I came in 15th out of 18 and I am pretty sure the total number was 465 and I came in 403 - so like I told my DH at least I wasn't dead last (but I did get passed by a guy on cructches - but to my defense he looked like he had a knee injury and he is a normal runner so I am sure he has more practice then me!!) I am just glad I did it and I have one more race under my belt for experience. Since it was only my 2nd race I got experience this time with the Championchip timer thing. One neat thing is this race was the 35th annual and I am going to be 35 this year (the Road Runner Club that sponsored the race started the same year I was born) It was hot but all in all it was a good experience and I am ready for more training (just not today!! LOL)

As far as future races for me I thinking of another 5k on July 28 and then the TOT 13K and then possibly the Florida Marathon 1/2 marathon (or I may end up doing the 5k that is involved with the Florida Marathon.) I am trying to talk my DH into becoming my training coach (right now I think he is all talk but I might be able to get him running - he keeps saying how good he was at running in high school so we will see)

Hoping to get in something tomorrow but not sure what it will be. Talk to you all then!!! Good luck to all doing LR or events tomorrow.

Dave - 30 lbs.?! AMAZING!

Anne - way to go :cheer2: - I've been missing you around here. :hug:

Ok, I was so excited today. After Zack's birthday party, my sister was taking him to the lake overnight. Which means I would be home alone from 4:30pm today on. I had big plans to clean out the computer room & do a 1 hour xt DVD. Well, the sore throat / fever thing is outta control now. I slept from 3:30 to 8:30. I can't swallow, let alone turn my head much. Even touching the glands in my neck hurts. Oh, and walking is quite a feat since I am dizzy from the fever. :sad2:

Sp, back to the couch for me. Hopfeully, I will be better in the morning & can get up to do 4 or 5 miles before we start building one of those wodden backyard playsets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter