• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk of April 20 - WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

TigerLily03 said:
New WISH Team members. If you read one thing over and over, believe this. Being part of this team is fantastic. Part of the ride you get for the event is what I call the roller coaster. There will be lots of ups and downs. The more you post here, the more you will find yourself enjoying the ride. It is an incredible journey. Don't be afraid, shy or whatever to come here and just post up anything. You don't have to know us right away, or all of us at all. You will get to know some of us. It makes the event you are enjoying have MORE meaning and we love to have you.

WWDave's 2008 Miles and Minutes Team Threads:

Master Game Roster

New Master Game Spreadsheet

Donald's Defiant Dashers Team Challenge

BUZZ's Brigade - TEAM CHALLENGE - POST MILES/HOURS HERE

Hakuna Matata Team Challenge Hours/Miles

Super Goofs Team 4 Miles Challenge

TEAM FIVE: Herc's Heroes--Post miles/hours here!

TEAM #6: OHANA-No One Gets Left Behind:Post your miles/hours here

Walt's Warriors (Team 7) Miles and Hours

Team 8 Jessica's Rabbits Bios and Info

Mel's Running Rules #419: Oriental Buffet is not an appropriate meal the night before a LR.

I had 10 on the schedule today. Started out with my stomach feeling a bit yucky before I even left the house. I got about 2 miles in and started looking for a potty, but the only one on my route is back home or at the 6 mile mark. I do an out and back so decided to press onto the 6 mile potty, figuring I'd call Jeff to come get me when I got to 10 or so. I did okay...didn't feel great, but was totally on pace to PR the 10. I did 8 a shade faster than my 8 PR last week. Did my second Gu right at 8 miles...then my stomach totally revolted. I had to call DH to come get me early...really bummed because I was doing so well! Anyway, 8.36 in 1:40:05. Stomach's still not happy :sick:

Krista...Jeff carried Lenna in the Bjorn quite a bit. We tend to prefer doing WDW unencumbered, but still occasionally bring a stroller for her. The best trips are when we get to be Guests Without Bags :woohoo:

Good training everyone!

Mel, sorry to hear about the stomach not liking your meal the night before. I hate that. I have IBS sometimes, and I never know when it will hit. But I usually know pretty soon right after the meal.
Glad you got home ok.

Hi Mel and Tracy:flower3:

Mel one of the advantages to being a walker is that I can walk after a meal. When Erica and I go to Gatlinburg to do our LSDs we always have a big breakfast before we take off for the hills. When I was a runner I couldn't do that. I especially remember that I couldn't eat fried chicken and go on a long run. (It's a redneck thing).

Have an awesome evening guys.

Walking Panda:hippie:

Mel - I can relate. That happened to me a couple of weeks ago before my 5K. It's not pleasant. I was worried about my 5K today because we celebrated my birthday last night at the local Japanese Steakhouse. Luckily, it wasn't a problem for me. I don't plan to make that a habit, but you only turn 40 with your best friend once in your life, so it was an occasion to celebrate. It was fun to be able to hit that big milestone with my best friend. That is why we were meant to be friends, being born on the same day, same year. :goodvibes

Hope your yucky tummy heals soon. :sick:

Ha ha ha, nope, I don't work for the tourist or convention bureau. A lot of friends say I should.

I only post the pictures to give those of you who have never been to Hawaii, a look at the real island experience, not the ones you see in advertisements.

"LOSTIES" there are 6 hours of post writer's strike episodes left. The 2 hour finale is supposed to happen on May 29th. Actually it will be 3 hours that night, as they will repeat the prior one hour episode, before the 2 hour finale. Confusing? Well what else did you expect from LOST? :laughing:

Saturday included another short bike ride with the Princesses, and #1's friend joining us. Fed the fish down at Aloha Tower. Then we went to see "Nim's Island." It was just a okay movie, some continuity issues I had with the story line.

Sunday's skedulee... 10-12 miles with the marathon clinic, then a short hike up to Manoa Falls with the Girl Scout troop.

Veteran WISHers: Question, who owns the rights to the WISH logo? Or rather who came up with the design?

Jeff: Those pictures are gorgeous! Can I come hiking with the Girl Scouts? Sounds fun.

Becky:Good job! :thumbsup2

Cecilia: Thanks for the mask idea! And why couldn't you use the jogging stroller until 6 months?

Ang: Nice WO!

Mel: Oh dear. :hug: Well I think we've all learned an important lesson :sad2: Good job on the run you did get in.

:dogdance:

Hmm I woke up with "Gaston" stuck in my head! Yesterday was a rest day. I went for a short skate because it was beautiful. BF and I went to a Latin Dance at the International Cultural Center and learned how to salsa! So much fun (and free to boot!). I'm off for a short run this morning!

Good morning everyone!

Just checking in. Not much to report yet for me. Still getting situated in my new job and this week was crazy!:crazy2: Way to many meetings!
So far have spent the weekend trying to catch up on some work at home and getting ready for finals at school. Bummer, cause it was so nice out this weekend. But if I can get everything done on my list (23 things!:scared1: I should be pretty well organized and begin to devote more time to training.
Hope to be able to check in more frequently.

Take care!
Terri

Veteran WISHers: Question, who owns the rights to the WISH logo? Or rather who came up with the design?

Big question. Short answer is we don't really know, but maybe some of our legal minds here could help out. Sunny (plutosmyfav) did the logo and design we currently use for our shirts. But Sunny's had some life changes and hasn't been around here in a long time. I did try to contact her before we started all the shirt ordering in January but never heard back. (Has anyone heard from Sunny? I'd love to know if she's ok.)

Anyway, the WISH slogan (We're Inspired to Stay Healthy) was part of the disboards. I don't know who came up with it (Lily? Anyone know that one?)

As a group, we've been following the honor code. As long as we're not selling team merchandise for profit, we've done various WISH team items (shirts, socks, visors/hats, bracelets) without too much worry about who owns what.
Sunny does(did??) sell WISH stuff on her cafepress site.

Whenever something like this comes up I wonder if at some point we'll need to develop some actual structure to the team. The WISH team is in it's 5th year and has easily doubled or more in size since the 2005 ladies took on the half. I think most of us appreciate the informal nature of our team, but I wonder how long we can sustain this. We hit some growing pains earlier this year. With the way the team has evolved as a nurturing group of folks who accept everyone regardless of ability, I foresee continued phenomenal growth.

I really think the WISH team has the potential to be something on the lines of Team in Training. Seriously. We are already international and are developing a presence at WDW events as well as other races around the country. Because we attract so many folks who are new to the whole fitness concept, I would love to see us develop a program of coaches and mentors like TnT does. I love our team and our message...that anyone can do what we do...and I'd love to get it out there to the world. Just envision a WISH team weekend retreat...Amy conducting Pilates and core training, WWDave instructing on racewalking techniques, Christa can talk on how to fit it all in with life (though I still don't know how she does it)...it would be so cool! (You know, we need to recruit some dietitian/nutritionists). We could even have a charity arm though I would structure it differently than TnT.

Anyway, that's just me thinking big about our untapped potential and the future of the WISH team. I do think we'll have to develop some kind of organizational structure, but that may not be now (though I do prefer to practice preventive medicine;) ). I guess it's something for all of us to think about as we continue to grow.

And that's a really long answer to your question, Jeff :)

Mel

Sorry about your combined long run and oriental buffet adventure. If you want to cringe or giggle about this, do some reading on Grete Waitz' 1988 NY Marathon victory. Grete is one of the grande dames of women's marathoning and the silver medalist in the 1st 1984 women's olympic marathon. To put it delicately, Grete's lower intestinal tract was giving her trouble all day.

For all the Minnie participants, I remembered something important for us about pace over the 15K. If you have been training on soft dirt trails, or composite tracks, or even the treadmill, you will be FASTER :moped: on May 4 than you have been in training, even beyond the benefit you'll get from a mild taper down to the race.

Friday I was out in our version of heat (78 degrees and low humidity), starting on the track, then dirt trails. When I stepped onto the roads I instantly felt better rhythm and pace, and realized the harder roads don't absorb your energy, they instead rebound quickly, so the same level of effort produces faster pace. It's been so long since I'd been on the roads, I forgot. Softer surfaces are easier on your legs, but they are slow. Harder surfaces are tougher on your legs, but a lot faster. So if you're comfortably under 15 mpm on soft surfaces in training, you'll be a bit quicker with the same effort.

Of course, for me that means my legs will flat out hurt late Sunday and particularly Sunday night when I'm trying to sleep. Pain is transitory, but glory is forever pirate: .

Best
Craig

Mel - Oh, yuck! I had some issues like that around mile 15 of the marathon. Thankfully it stopped after about 3 miles or so.

Allie - How cool is that? Same day, same year?

Jeff - Thanks for the info on Lost. I was wondering how many episodes were left.

Claire - Salsa dancing? How fun!!

Terri - I hope you get everything done on your list. I thrive on lists and have them all over the house ;)

Craig - Interesting info. I train all my short runs on the TM, but my LR are outside on the road. I wonder how that will affect me at minnie?

Well, unfortunately for me, my knees are still sore this morning from the LR yesterday. It seems like right around 9 - 10 miles is when they hurt. My LR last week was 8 miles and I didn't even need to ice them. This week at 9.3 I iced them all afternoon (on and off) and they are still sore.

Becky

Happy Birthday wishes (again), Allie! It sounds like you celebrated your 40th with style, grace, and humor!!!! (And some cell phone escapades & a new PR!) Everyone, check out Allie's birthday report on the WISHers turning 40! thread! ;)

Plus, a very
HAPPY 40th BIRTHDAY, MICHELLE!!!

I WISH for you all lots of love, special memories, and the best year of your life ever!!

:bday::dance3: :woohoo: party:

I'll catch up with everyone else later today! I'm thinking of you all, with :hug: to Mel.

Happy birthday Michelle and Allie!!!:dance3:

Mel, I to see WISH going forward also.

One of the biggest problems we face in our wonderful country is the epidemic of over weight and out of shape people. We are destroying ourselves with the "Good Life". The concept of WISH is a small candle flicker in the darkness, but we can make that flicker a flame for people to embrace and find there way back to a healthier lifestyle.

One of the very basic concepts of WISH is that no matter how badly out of shape you are now you can turn it around. We have helped a lot of people see that if they will believe in themselves they can accomplish more than they ever imagined.

The ToT was my first race with the WISH colors. I was approched by a man who still had some weight to lose but said he had lost a lot already and we were his inspiration to keep going. He was to shy to join as a regular member but he had bought one of those safety lime shirts to wear to do the ToT race. I realized then that this was bigger than it appeared already.

With wonderfull hearts and minds like you, Lily, Carrie and the others leading us we will become the beacon of light for people to see. Many people are fighting deep depressions because they have all but given up on themselves, we can be a first step back to self acceptance.

Proud WISH Panda:hippie:

Good morning WISHers!

Hoping everyone is having a fine Sunday. It is a beautiful day in NW Florida.

Been slacking on posting. Been reading, just too lazy to type.

Out for 3 this morning. Nothing significant to report.

Mel – Sorry for the GI tract problems. I’ll remember no Chinaman food prior to a LR.

Jeff – Have a good run this morning.

Claire – Have a good run this morning.

Becky – WTG with the 9.3 miler! Hope the legs feel better.

Allie – Happy Belated Birthday!

Michelle – Happy Birthday!

I'll have something to show everyone later this afternoon. All I can say is, its Mel's fault. :rolleyes1

:)

Hello everyone!!
I just got back from my LW. I did my Minnie today 9.3miles!! WHen I hit the stop button I looked up and was waiting for my metal. Where's my metal????? Oh yeah, I need to wait 2 more weeks. So, 9.3 miles in 2hours14minutes53.45seconds. (14:29 pace) I guess I won't get swept. :yay:

I swear today was a day for the bugs to hate me :confused3 . I was chased by two bugs at two different areas. They fly around and around your head and buzz near your ear - very annoying. I had another bug fly around me and land on me, I had to keep shooing it away, then it landed on my right temple and proceeded to try and bite me :scared: !!. Well, needless to say, it got squashed!! Sorry mr. biting fly bug thing, but I can only take so much!!

Mel and Panda: I can see the WISH group becoming a more organized team type of thing, but wouldn't want to see it like TnT. I can see getting together now and then for retreats or maybe raising money for charities on a volunteer basis. Of course I have only been a member since February and haven't really "met" any WISHERS face to face, but would be willing to help out any way I can. :thumbsup2
(I bought a WISH scream team shirt from the cafepress web site for my Mom)

Well, I'm off to ice and relax!!! Take care eveyone.

Tracy that was a super time for your "Minnie". I sure wish I was going to be there.

I see the big difference between TnT and WISH is WISH is something you can be part of without having to raise money for anything. But you get the same benefits of good information and membership in a nurturing group.

Vic, you earned a little kick back time, you had a stressfull time of it this month with your work situation.

Craig, have I thanked you for being such a great captain and leading the bunnies to what I'm sure will be their best PR year ever.

Happy panda:hippie:

Someone needs to stop me.

I'm trying to figure out a way to get out to Disneyland this year for the Half Marathon. After I swore that we were taking a year off and not doing any Disney trips in 2008.

But Sean needs to meet Mickey!!

TXAng: I am the wrong one to tell you not to do it. I am in SE FL and flying out the DL solo just to get some metal bling!! I did the WDW Half so I am eligible to get a third metal. It's all about the bling!! ( I get to visit my Aunt while I'm there which is a nice plus)
I do agree that Sean needs to see Mickey, EVERYBODY does!!::MickeyMo :earboy2: :smickey: :earsboy: :mickeyjum

Just a quick post for me right now. I had decided that, shins be damned, I would do an 8-miler today. I just need the psychological reassurance of being able to do the distance. I decided that I can live with the discomfort while running, and I'd ice at home.
So last night I go to bed--can't fall asleep. And then the fun begins. Make a long story short--our dog Buddy spent the whole night whimpering and throwing up (fortunately on the hardwood floors). I got 2 hours of sleep and missed the start of the women's marathon trials.

But after the race was over (and it was great to watch). I went out for my run--gotta just suck it up. First warm daytime run for me. And you know what--shins felt okay,knees and hips felt dodgy, but who cares--I finished my 8-miler! And now that I have thrown my time goal out the window, I'm okay with my 80 minute time.

So sorry for the long "me" post, but I had to let you inspiring guys know--this was the biggest run for me in my nearly four months of training. Now bring on Minnie--I'm gonna finish it for sure!

Maura

Becky Isn't icing fun! My DH also had me hose down my legs with the garden hose--CHILLY!
Maura

Hi Guys! :)

Just a quick drive-by...I'll be back shortly to catch up with everyone.

Literally just back from my "Minnie" today. Ran 9.3 and even though this ended up being 26 miles for the week...which is a push for me...I didn't feel as bad as I thought I might. I did take some must needed rest mid-week and backed of the XT a lot to just allow my body to heal up some.

The run felt comfortable for 6 miles...and the last 3 I was running on fatigued legs. Overall run was 1:28:58 for a 9:32 mpm. Not bad for LSR...so I'm hoping to drop the pace a bit for the Minnie. Who knows how the 5K the day before will affect my legs though :confused3 . The main goal regardless is to have fun! So now I know I can run the distance relatively comfortably at a pace that I can live with. Time to taper a bit! :thumbsup2

I'll be back (in my best Arnold voice).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter